Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st preseason game. What do you want?

Myles

What do you want to see?

What do you expect to see?

I want to see what our RB's, behind Mack, will do.  Who's going to separate themselves from the rest.    

I want to see how the WR battle goes for that 4th and 5th (maybe 6th) WR spot.

• Like 1

For the Colts to score more than 43 points over the course of the pre-season.

Weird NFL Stat IIRC: If your team fails to score at least 43 points during the pre-season since 1983, your season's success is capped at losing your first game in the playoffs.

• Scoring 43 points does not mean a winning season or a lot of success
  • Scoring far less than 43 doesn't mean a losing season or not making the playoffs

Scoring 43 or fewer points ONLY means that your team will not win a game in the playoffs

I want to see a complete unit play well individually. I don't expect them to put it all together, and that is OK to me, as long as they continue getting better as a team each week. I just want to see a healthy, competitive performance and be able to see the upside of a top 5 team like the power rankings suggest. 

• Like 1

Maybe we should root for a loss.

Both 0-16 teams (Browns and Lions) had 4-0 preseason records.

2006 Champion Colts were 1-3 in preseason.

I think the takeaway should be to not concentrate on winning the games, concentrate on evaluating players and implementing the playbook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think the takeaway should be to not concentrate on winning the games, concentrate on evaluating players and implementing the playbook.

That will probably mean we start 0-2 again. I'd like to win a few in the pre season even though it doesn't count. 

7 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

That will probably mean we start 0-2 again. I'd like to win a few in the pre season even though it doesn't count. 

your point?  Patriots have started 0-2 several times, its been proven that Hoodie uses the first 2 games as extra games to thin his roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lets see how the rookies look in a game, ya sin has had a good camp maybe he can win a starting job sooner rather than later.  can rogers hold off the guys behind him or will pascal and fountain make that 5th spot a tough decision?

i would be conservative with mack in the preseason, but he should play some.  i wonder if Jacoby will have a big preseason and draw interest too

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

your point?  Patriots have started 0-2 several times, its been proven that Hoodie uses the first 2 games as extra games to thin his roster.

Colts aren't the Patriots and Luck isn't Brady. Luck is a slow starter and he needs to play to be ready.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

With the amount of variables factored into the postseason, this is meaningless. 

2 hours ago, TheMarine said:

For the Colts to score more than 43 points over the course of the pre-season.

Weird NFL Stat IIRC: If your team fails to score at least 43 points during the pre-season since 1983, your season's success is capped at losing your first game in the playoffs.

• Scoring 43 points does not mean a winning season or a lot of success
  • Scoring far less than 43 doesn't mean a losing season or not making the playoffs

Scoring 43 or fewer points ONLY means that your team will not win a game in the playoffs

I’m sure there’s some tiny correlation, but that’s about as trivial a preseason stat that I’ve ever seen.

I just want to see some football. Year in year out I might do tiny bits of analyzing between now and say 2nd week of October. But it is around the 2nd week of October I get a pretty good idea of what type of season I will get out of this Colts team …….. GO COLTS !!!!!.....(And ANDREW get healthy ASAP !!!!!)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Meh...I don't care what happens as long as they win the game.

I'm quite the opposite.   I don't care if they win or lose as long as they use the practice time effectively.  

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

With the amount of variables factored into the postseason, this is meaningless. 

Maybe, maybe not.   Using the preseason to evaluate play and players is more effective than concentrating on winning the games.   

To do this, we decided to compare the winning percentage of the pre-season of the team to the performance of that team in the regular season for every team over the last 10 season, which gave us a sample size of 320 team seasons. 

When comparing the records, we found that there was no correlation between the performance of the pre-season to the regular season. 

Statistically, the correlation between the winning percentage of a team in the pre-season and their winning percentage in the regular season is 0.0944 - values between -0.1 and +0.1 suggest no correlation between two variables.

There are a few issues with comparing the two records - mainly that the pre-season contains 4-5 games, which limits the number of possible winning percentages creating greater variability in the pre-season winning records. For example, one extra win in the pre-season means a lot more, from a percent standpoint, than in the regular season.

Taking this into consideration, we created buckets for winning percentages in the pre-season and calculated the average winning percentage for the regular season for that bucket.

Pre-season Record ofAverage Regular Season Record

1.0000 - .495

0.750-1.0000 - .508

0.5000 - .535

0.400-0.6250 - .533

0.2500 - .442

0.000-0.2500 - .450

0.0000 - .473

• Like 1

No major injuries.

I wanna see the WRs in action and one or two of them step forward from the pack

I wanna see the 2nd stringers play well

I wanna see the rookies fly around to the ball

I wanna see Tell at CB and see how well that transition is coming

I wanna see two young guys make Milton obsolete as a gunner

I wanna see Foreman run roughshod over some Bills

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

There is no reason for Luck to start slow this year with the line and 

weapons on this team. 

I agree however, Luck is a slow starter in most games. That's just who he is. He has really been a slow starter coming out of pre season and it's possibly due to his limited action in those games. 

• Like 1