Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning To The Titans? [Merge]

tfunky14

Does it really matter?

Well, usually on here if you are informing everyone of "news" that you read elsewhere, you provide a link. If it's just your opinion, that's wonderful, but you should say so in your post. I wouldn't have bothered replying.

Also Adams knows he might kick the bucket before the Titans win a superbowl wants to leave the team in Peytons hands

Trying to be funny? I suspect that Adam's kids might have something to say about it. "I know, I'm going to sign over my billion dollar franchise to a jock". The only question is which would come first, the NFL rejection on the grounds that would eat up most of their cap for the next 20 years, or the law suit to have him declared incompetent.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaming Irsay is asinine.

Nobody was "run out of town". If you and like-minded Manning fans, after a week+ of discussion with fellow fans, hearing ESPN and other national media coverage, local media coverage, print media coverage, medical reports, salary cap information, draft information, Colts team information in regards to the re-build, alllll the way down to tweets on Twitter STILL can't come to grips that Manning is gone and feels the need to "blame someone"...

well, then that "someone" is you....not Jim Irsay.

Every team in the history of teams has had to rebuild at some point. Get over it already. Either root for Manning's new team or move on with the new direction of the Colts. Or, if you don't like that, buy the Indianapolis Colts franchise and make the decisions as you see fit.

:thmup:

Irsay said that Peyton could be a Colt if he wanted to be. Everyone else, it seems, has leaped to the conclusion that Irsay ran him out of town. For all we know, Peyton may have asked to be released or refused to sign a new deal. My point is that you can't be a "Colt for life" then work toward sticking it to the Colts for life. If Manning closes his playing career in Tennessee, I won't like it, but I'll deal with it. I cannot accept him, however, taking a leadership role with the Titans afterwards and working to kick our butts for the rest of his natural life.

Manning said that until that Monday, he thought he was going to be the Colts QB...he was told two days before the press conference...and he wanted to stay...they said that Irsay informed Peyton that he was going to move in a new direction.

you can try to spin things however you want, and play dumb to what happened...but it did happen

yes you are correct but those two issues, drafting Luck and cap issue, are interrated . .. you can't tied up so much money at one position when only one of those players can play at a given time . . . it doesnt make a lot of sense, and since you have a limited amount of cash to spend (i.e. cap issue), you better to allocate those funs to a different position, then to have those funds gathering dust on the sidelines . . .

If Peyton Restuctures and stays aColt, Drafting Luck is not needed. You would be able to trade down and rebuild the team. Then pick-up Tannehill in lower 1st round or any of the QBs in the 2nd. So if money could be worked out and health was not the problem that only leaves 1 reason for Peyton being cut IMO.

If he's healthy next year, and plays for our rivals, and whoops us, we need to take it like men. If that wasn't a possibility we were willing to face then we should never have released him.

Saying things like we could never forgive him if he goes to the Titans.

We're lucky if he ever forgives us for running him out of town.

How would you feel if your employer terminated your contract over a workplace injury, then your coworkers chastised you for their competitor believing in you and wanting to give you a job.

can peyton come back after a neck injury and a year off at age 36 ? ask kerry collins, it will be difficult. i think jim made a great decision good for the colts. peyton was good in his time but he is gone, we have to get over it and move on i feel sorry for the team that signs him. now we will have money to get somone other than undrafted players, peyton used most of our cap, now we will be better and will be able to sign good players at all positions not just qb, we will have cap room

If he's healthy next year, and plays for our rivals, and whoops us, we need to take it like men. If that wasn't a possibility we were willing to face then we should never have released him.

How would you feel if your employer terminated your contract over a workplace injury, then your coworkers chastised you for their competitor believing in you and wanting to give you a job.

There was a great post about this somewhere else...BUT this is a superb analogy.!!!

The Angels had this in Pujols contract, meaning that when he goes into the HOF he will go in as an Angel, Pujols will have no choice.

Hadn't heard any of that. I have no idea what the Angels promised Pujols, but I'm quite confident that it's neither of their decisions about whose hat resides on his HOF bust (assuming that he gets there). That's the last thing that I'm concerned about regarding Peyton.

Manning said that until that Monday, he thought he was going to be the Colts QB...he was told two days before the press conference...and he wanted to stay...they said that Irsay informed Peyton that he was going to move in a new direction.

you can try to spin things however you want, and play dumb to what happened...but it did happen

+1

I'm not sure why Colts fans would feel Peyton signing with the Titans would be a slap in the face or that it would tarnish his legacy with the Colts. First, regardless of the financial or "health" justifications that were given, Peyton was still cut...he didn't "want out". He didn't want to leave. He wanted to retire a Colt. I understand the circumstances involved and the rationale for Irsay moving on, but the fact is that he didn't want out, he was shown the door. So for the Colts to be upset with him going anywhere, including the Titans, is unfair. He needs to land in what he feels is the best spot for him to end his career. And to think that Petyon would go to the Titans simply to stick it to the Colts is a ridiculous assertion. Like any competitive player, I'm sure he'd enjoy playing the Colts when they crossed paths, but PM would never choose a team to end his career on simply based on revenge. As far as the "front office offer', that's Bud Adams talking, not Peyton...that will have no influence on his decision.

I live in TN near Knoxville. I'm a Titan fan and I've also pulled for PM and the Colts second to the Titans. A little perspective from this side. For PM to finish with the Titans is a rare opportunity. I think Colts fans may underestimate the deep connection that Peyton has to Tennessee and vice-versa. There's no doubt that he has spent more time in Indy and that's his home, but don't brush off the impact his four years at UT had on him and that he also considers TN home. He has an extremely deep investment in UT that's 2 & 1/2 hours from Nashville, a home in Nashville and his wife's family is 3 hours down the road in Memphis. He has deep roots in the community and in relationships here. Peyton is a Tennessee icon. And Peyton loves the state of TN. As far as the people here, I don't think you can find another NFL team that has had more fans from another state because of one player that played there. You have no clue how many primary Colts fans there is in TN because of Peyton.

You all spent 14 years with Peyton. You should know better than to think that he'd make a football decision simply based on "getting back at the Colts". And frankly, it's pretty selfish to say that he should not play for another team to avoid hurting the Colts feelings. The Colts are the one who showed him the door.

I think Denver and Tennessee are close in the football aspects. And he may very well go to Denver. With all things equal, I can't imagine why he wouldn't try to finish with TN if that opportunity is there. Why should he go to another town where he has no roots and finish that way? He has two states where he is loved throughout; Indiana & Tennessee. Even though he has spent more time in Indy, I can promise you that he is just as beloved here as he is there. It only makes sense that he would take the opportunity offered to finish his career in a state where he is loved statewide if all things are equal football-wise (and i believe they are).

Again, he may go to Denver. I hope he comes to TN. And if Colts fans blame him for that and choose to "tarnish his legacy", after all he has poured into Colts football and the city, than shame on Colts fans. To ask PM to be penalized and limited in finding the most fulfilling way to end his career is not fair. To ask him to pass on that just so he won't play in the division of the team that said "we're done with you", is shallow and extremely disappointing. He's not perfect, but he is a stand up guy, a pro's pro and someone who has given his heart and all his energy to the Colts and the city of Indy. So consider giving him some slack.

I realize that this isn't everyone's feelings, and I hope it's the minority, but i've seen this sentiment in several places and it concerns me, so i wanted to share some thoughts. Thanks for letting me share some thoughts on your message board!

I have taken the liberty of editing your response into a larger font.

This sometimes happens to others. If you click on the "x" with the lower 2, it will reduce and lower your font size. Such as this.

If you click on the "x" with the upper 2, it will reduce and raise your font. Such as this.

Also, I'm not sure what part of TN Ashley is from (they were married in Memphis), but there is a general hatred of eastern Tennessee (Knoxville/UT) from the rest of the state (Nashville/Vandy and Memphis) and vice-versa, and they aren't close together. Point is, they are different parts of the state, and the tie is only by state name, not emotion or past history.

Ashley is from Memphis and there isn't really a general "hatred" or division in the state. That being said, there is a unifying factor...Peyton. The whole state loves Peyton.

I have visited a major Titans message board, and the strange thing to me is the fans are divided right down the middle on Peyton, whereas the fans on the Cardinals and Broncos boards are overwhelmingly wanting Peyton. I do not get it.

However, you do have to consider this. Nashville is not Knoxville. Nashville has Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt fans despise UT, which is in Knoxville. I think it is the Vanderbilt fans that do not want Peyton. Jay Cutler is their favorite son.

Loved this from the Texans forum

Adams is trying to actually purchase & own Peyton. Upon signing, Manning will be required move into Bud's house as Bud will own him. Off season duties will be mixing drinks for the Budster and picking him up off the ground when he falls.

After football, Bud will lock Peyton in his basement with the other people Bud owns, bringing him out to put the best QB ever on display when Adams has company.

Secondly we don't know if Irsay kicked him out, maybe Irsay told him the plan for the team and pm thought it was best to part ways.

Either you are kidding or you are really that naive.

Irsay started firing everybody around Peyton without even communicating a word to him. If he wanted Peyton or even had a bit of interest in him, he would have atleast spoke to him. The second Irsay realized he has to number 1 pick, he turned into a Chameleon.

Hes offering Peyton a % of the Titans

They were discussing this on Sirius NFL Radio today(believe it was Gil Brandt), and he said he believed that the Broncos would match any offer the Titans made; up to and including % ownership, according to him: some in NFL circles suspect that at some point Elway will form a group to buy at least a percentage of the Broncos, and that Peyton would be offered a place in this group to match the Titans offer.

I realize this all speculation, but the rumor of Elway eventually buying part of the Broncos has been reported other places:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18421327

We've never heard this come from Manning's lips. It came from Chris Mortensen -- the same guy who had the Colts moving to L.A. in 2004.

We don't really know what happened. We don't know what kind of conditions Peyton put on staying. Maybe Irsay was full of barn poop, after all. It's all speculation. You can accuse me of spinning and playing dumb all you want, but I think some here are having a hard time believing that Manning may not be as innocent in all of this as perceived. I'm a Colts fan, not a Manning fan. So, I'll repeat -- if he chooses to finish his playing career in Tennessee, I'll deal with that. But I have a problem with retiring some guy's number and putting a statue of him outside Lucas Oil Stadium only to have him go to work for a division rival after his playing career and work every day to destroy the Colts. You can think whatever you want of Irsay. But a guy who paid Manning over $150 million dollars over his playing career, bent over backwards to give him all of the offensive tools he wanted and paid him $26 million knowing he wasn't fully healthy doesn't deserve that in return, IMO.

We've never heard this come from Manning's lips. It came from Chris Mortensen -- the same guy who had the Colts moving to L.A. in 2004.

We don't really know what happened. We don't know what kind of conditions Peyton put on staying. Maybe Irsay was full of barn poop, after all. It's all speculation. You can accuse me of spinning and playing dumb all you want, but I think some here are having a hard time believing that Manning may not be as innocent in all of this as perceived. I'm a Colts fan, not a Manning fan. So, I'll repeat -- if he chooses to finish his playing career in Tennessee, I'll deal with that. But I have a problem with retiring some guy's number and putting a statue of him outside Lucas Oil Stadium only to have him go to work for a division rival after his playing career and work every day to destroy the Colts. You can think whatever you want of Irsay. But a guy who paid Manning over $150 million dollars over his playing career, bent over backwards to give him all of the offensive tools he wanted and paid him $26 million knowing he wasn't fully healthy doesn't deserve that in return, IMO.

doesnt deserve that in return?! are you serious? So you think that its fine and dandy if Irsay wants to cut Peyton, even though Peyton wanted to stay...and then Irsay should get to dictate where Peyton DOES get to play, too? Thats one of the dumbest things i've heard in a while! You realize that even though Irsay did pay Peyton a lot of money over the years, as a result of Peyton being a Colt for all those years, Irsay was able to make WAY more money than he paid Peyton...the colts franchise is worth a LOT more now than it was when Peyton was drafted...and him being here IS what kept the Colts in Indy instead of having to move to L.A. And yes, without Peyton, there wouldnt be a Lucas Oil Stadium in Indiana. So please spare me the whole "irsay paid him a lot of money, so Peyton should play where Irsay wants him to".

.... then Irsay should get to dictate where Peyton DOES get to play, too?

Go back and closely read my post. I clearly state that I'm willing to accept him playing in Tennessee. It's the acceptance of a "lifetime contract" and working in the Titans organization afterwards with which I have a problem.

True. I would personally enjoy it as a job. But if I were a megamillionaire, I'd probably rather spend my free time on a Hawaiian beach drinking chick drinks.

Yeah, but Peyton has a love for football that is very Elway-esque. He is one of the few that get to do what they love for a living. I do think when he hangs up his jersey we will find him in some way involved in the NFL--whether it be in a front office position somewhere or as a coach...Peyton is very hands on, so I don't see him as a commentator...time will tell if I am wrong or not...

As far as the Titan deal goes...it doesn't sit well with me, but again I love and respect Peyton always no matter what he does. He will deem what is best for him, and he is a very smart individual who won't make a stupid move. Regardless of what contract either the Titans or the Broncos throw at him, he is going to go to the team that can offer him the best chance to win a SB. Point blank. That and whichever team can protect him the best while he is on the field playing--yes I do think he will consider this as a big part of his decision due to his neck problems and the fact that he not only has a wife but children to think of as well. ...now if he wanted to as me my opinion on where he should go, I'd tell him to go to the Broncos in a heartbeat. They have more to offer him on the field than the Titans do. Make no mistake, this will be a business deal--one that Peyton won't get wrong...

Either you are kidding or you are really that naive.

Irsay started firing everybody around Peyton without even communicating a word to him. If he wanted Peyton or even had a bit of interest in him, he would have atleast spoke to him. The second Irsay realized he has to number 1 pick, he turned into a Chameleon.

He fired people because they deserved to be fired. If PM 100% wanted to stay a colt he would be a colt. He could of renegotiated his contract. You don't know at all what was said between the two and neither do I. PM himself said Irsay didn't run him out it was just circumstances.

If Peyton Restuctures and stays aColt, Drafting Luck is not needed. You would be able to trade down and rebuild the team. Then pick-up Tannehill in lower 1st round or any of the QBs in the 2nd. So if money could be worked out and health was not the problem that only leaves 1 reason for Peyton being cut IMO.

i am not so sure here Gacker, i don't have time to give you a detail reasons and will just sum up my thoughts, and am sure most of you have gone over this a great deal in the last few months . . .

I will say tho that the colts franchise this spring is in a very very unique position, even unprecedented, so it makes it tough to garner a perhaps proper response as we are dealing with a case of first impression, specifically, a dominate team having a 1st overall pick . . .off the top of my head Gacker, I can't remember, but post Merger, I can not think of a dominate team that had a 1st overall pick . . .amnong say the 70s fins/steelers/cowboys/raiders, 80skins/9ers/gmen/bears, 90s boys/9ers/packers/broncos, 00s pats/steelers/colts . . . of those 15 post Merger dominate teams (and surely there are a few more), but of about 20 or some dominate teams i can not think of any that had a 1st overalll pick . . . so we are in uncharted waters . . .

also too, when you look at those teams and the lesser teams too, you will realize that for the most part their runs last about as long as the career of their QB (and most had top/HOF QBs) . . . once the QB left (and to a degree in certain cases other players too) the team's dominance weaken and in some case fizzle . . . where have the cowboys gone after the Meredith/stabauch run and their run with Aiken, or steelers with bradshaw, broncos and elway, raiders and lamorica/stabler, fins and marinio, and so on and so on . . .

so bottom line history has pretty much told us is that great teams for the most part fizzle when their HOF QB leaves and they try to get a replacement, and i am sure if you look as most of those teams they tried to get a qb and likely high in the draft (but they weren't drafting #1) . . . so what you are proposing is the kind of to do what the above teams have done . . . and if it has not work for them what makes you think it will work for the colts (or for that matter the present day pats or steelers) . . .

given the colts unique situation of having a 1st overall pick and that same pick being a solid, not your everyday 1st overall, but likely one of the best in the past 10 years and at the QB position, the above history supports the premise you gotta go with the #1 overall . . . now there is no guarantee Luck will be great or even solid, but he has the potential, and that is all you really have to gone on . . . we know history has taught us that great teams for the most part fizzle whence their star QB hangs them up . . . unless one is hoping for a diamond in the rough and to buck history, going late 1st round or 2nd round for a QB may not be as solid a gamble as going with a 1st overall . . .

yes it is a judgment call, but if history has anything to show us, going late 1st round or 2nd really has not worked so good . . . it is better to go with a "more" known asset . . .

Contractually, an owner has no obligation to inform any of his players that he is replacing any of the members of the FO or coaching staff, prior to the event.

In fact, the owner has no obligation to inform any of his players if he is releasing any other player until he actually releases them.

IMO, the QB has no approval power over any decisions the owner makes for the team.

Contractually, an owner has no obligation to inform any of his players that he is replacing any of the members of the FO or coaching staff, prior to the event.

In fact, the owner has no obligation to inform any of his players if he is releasing any other player until he actually releases them.

IMO, the QB has no approval power over any decisions the owner makes for the team.

Exactly.

Ashley is from Memphis and there isn't really a general "hatred" or division in the state. That being said, there is a unifying factor...Peyton. The whole state loves Peyton.

Well, from a college football (sports) perspective, there is. Vandy doesn't like the Vols and vice versa...it is a rivalry (Memphis also fits into this). Eastern TN is different than western TN, not just in geography but also in attitude. Maybe we have just had different experiences but I was raised a Vols fan and have interacted in that context, so I'm just saying.

Are teams permitted to try out any player in a full contact drill? Or are they just permitted to try out a player in full pads and football attire without contact?

I don't know. However, I doubt PM will allow himself to be "contacted" in his workout.

I see the work out more as demonstrating that he can throw the entire route tree to receivers with adequate accuracy, velocity and distance.

Only you and your current employer know the whole story/situation. Most places don't let someone go if they know they will recover from that injury and be 100% productive again. Peyton could not guarantee that and Irsay and Peyton had to make a mutual decision that would be the best outcome and benefit for both.

Peyton was classy enough to say goodbye and I feel so should we. Those who think that Manning was forced or ran out of town have not paid attention to this forum and all of the info out there. This situation was like trying to fit 20 square pegs into 1 round hole and there was no way to make anything fit.

We all would have liked for him to retire as a Colt and ride off into the sunset, but it is what it is...there are greater tragedies in this life. I am glad he is going to play again. I love watching him play. But, if and when the Colts play him, I hope we beat the living crap out of him and his new team.