Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning To The Titans? [Merge]

tfunky14

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he chooses the Titans then his decision isn't based on winning another SB before he retires.

why not? they did finish with a better record than the broncos did last year, and played a harder schedule. They have a top RB, two good WRs in Britt and Washington and a good TE...they're also talking to Wells, the center from GB and Hutchinson, the OG from the Vikings...and even before those two guys, they allowed about the least amount of sacks in the NFL last year.

Its not like Peyton would be the only guy they could add...as it stands, they have almost $30million in cap space and would have even more once they cut Hasselbeck and who knows what other roster moves they might make.

You add Peyton Manning, and two more pro bowl offensive linemen, and Chris Johnson would have a great year to go with the much improved year with their passing offense as well.

To say that the titans' D is bad is a reason Peyton couldnt win there, is kind of forgetting just how bad the Colts D has been for most of his career

http://profootballta...tract-for-life/

I found this pretty interesting. If Peyton is a "Colt for life" like he says, why would he be interested in parlaying a playing contract into an executive position for the Titans? Indy would hire him in a second in the front office!

it's all speculation

peyton doesn't need to include that in any contract. any fo would want him

he wants to play

Here's the advantage for the Titans - Peyton feels like it's his home town and Bud Adams offered him "a contract for life". Sounds like they want him to QB and then move to the front office or coaching.

If Peyton takes a "contract for life" and stays with the Titans organization after retiring, I don't know that I could ever forgive him.

I don't know why he'd want to go into a FO position when he's done. It's a long, tireless, and thankless job. The pay is not worth it to a guy who'll probably accumulate over $200 million just from his playing career.

If he wants to do stuff football related, it should be a nice, cushy gig on the CBS Pregame show. That's a 2 hour a week job that probably gives out hefty contracts to the commentators, and he wouldn't have to carry the weight of an organization's failures.

This move will not sit well with me at all. I have much lOve and respect for pm but if he does indeed go to the titans "for life" it will in my opinion tarnish his legacy in Indy. To me it would be a major slap in the face to leave Indy then go to the titans and plan on retiring a Titan and being involved in their front office after retirement. Am I the only one who feels this way

I don't know why he'd want to go into a FO position when he's done. It's a long, tireless, and thankless job. The pay is not worth it to a guy who'll probably accumulate over $200 million just from his playing career.

If he wants to do stuff football related, it should be a nice, cushy gig on the CBS Pregame show. That's a 2 hour a week job that probably gives out hefty contracts to the commentators, and he wouldn't have to carry the weight of an organization's failures.

elway seems to enjoy it

This move will not sit well with me at all. I have much lOve and respect for pm but if he does indeed go to the titans "for life" it will in my opinion tarnish his legacy in Indy. To me it would be a major slap in the face to leave Indy then go to the titans and plan on retiring a Titan and being involved in their front office after retirement. Am I the only one who feels this way

Just because he's offered that, doesn't mean that's what he'll want to do even if he does play QB for them. But, I think he views Tennessee as home.

I dont think it will tarnish his legacy in Indy. Montana was mad he was traded to the Chiefs and just like Favre did vs the Packers, he got back at them though he did not have as many chances as Favre did being in the same division. But Montana and Favre will still be remembered as 49ers and Packers. I doubt Peyton going to the Titans would be based on sticking it to the Colts, the terms of departure were definitely less hostile than the above two situations. Neither should he refuse the Titans offer keeping the Colts in mind. Once he was out the door, he was free to make his own decisions based on his comfort level with the organization, that is how I see it.

To me it is not a big deal. If he goes there more power to him, it is like going home for him and his wifes family is from there

so I would be happy for them. Remember PM did'nt just walkout and crap on Indy fans. When last seen he was choked up about leaving here. So I think it is unfair to hold any choice he makes against him. Hey it will be fun to cheer for him before games and watch him getting off the turf during games!!!!!

I doubt that a "contract for life" would even be legal under the CBA. It would be viewed as a way of promising future compensation that won't impact the salary cap. I view it as just a good soundbite. Plus the Titans owner is an aging crackpot with no relationship with Peyton what-so-ever. For him to make a sentimental offer (that would only sound right coming out of Irsay's mouth) is actually in my opinion just another example of his eratic behavior. If I'm Peyton he would just make me uncomfortable.

The Broncos have a younger owner whose management team actually wants Manning, and has the latitude to make better decisions to take advantage of his presence. I still think that they are the most likely landing spot. The only way that Tennessee wins is if having the twins living closer to Grandma and Grandpa is of overwhelming importance to them. It's equally likely that that's the last thing Peyton wants.

Just because he's offered that, doesn't mean that's what he'll want to do even if he does play QB for them. But, I think he views Tennessee as home.

I'm saying if he does sign the contract obviously I wouldn't care if he didn't.

Favre did tarnish is legacy somewhat by going to the Vikings.

If he goes to the Titans I cannot wait to here Lamey call "Mathis comes around the corner and give Peyton a welcome home present that he will not forget."

I love Manning and everything he has done on and off the field for the city of Indianapolis, but going to a divisional rival will almost be unforgiveable. Him in a Titans uniform throwing TD passes in LOS against our team will just be a huge stomach punch that I could not take.

I know Irsay is praying to every diety imaginable that this does not happen. You know the game here in Indy will be on national TV and the chance that Peyton might get cheered when he throws a TD must be a horrifying thought for Irsay.

I love Peyton and wish him the best of luck if he signs with the Titans but as much as I do love him I can't see myself rooting for a division rival.

Agreed. I still think he's going to Denver, but if he does go to the titans, I'll be a little sad because I can't believe he went to the same division as the colts. I understand his ties there, but that's Favre drama right there.

They can't literally offer him anything but a contract for playing QB. This is a grand gesture by Bud Adams.

It doesn't matter to me though even if he goes to the titans I will be upset. It's a division rival and it's not cool to me. Why not go to a better team like the broncos I can handle that but not the titans. Favre lost a lot of fans in green bay and I'm sure pm will too.

I disagree with the article's premise that a guaranteed job in the FO with a 7 figure salary does not count toward the cap.

The cap captures all player compensation, whether it is monetary, real estate, assets, and in this case, a guaranteed income stream in the future.

The NFL office will have no problems attaching a present value to a future income stream, and apply it against the cap.

You could have stopped a couple of words earlier and been more accurate. :D

HAHAHA!!!

Keep in mind Peyton just got offered the contract, doesn't mean he will accept it. I doubt he would accept a contract for life with anyone because he has said he will be a Colt for life and Peyton isn't someone to go back on his word

Their D sucks thats why! I know Denvers D is only a bit better, but they have loads of CAP space to pick guys up. Titans are waiting on williams - heck they should sign both him and Manning. IMO the Colts D wasn't "bad" the last 6 years - Freeney / Mathis / Sanders - always considered some of the best in the league. Until recently they were on a nice long 12 win a year streak - you dont do that if your D totally sucks!

CJ had a down year last year didn't he? I think his big year was a fluke . Brit another guy hurt last year - as such he hasnt proven much.

Personally I don't think either team is the bet possible fit, but I guess thats all he has to choose from - pretty sad a player of that caliber has to pick from a couple bottom feeders to finish out his career.

way i see it is this is going to tell the truth about how manning feels about the colts.

if theres bad blood between the two (irsay and manning) Manning will end up in tennessee and end up coaching there lol

if not he will go to someone like arizona or denver (tebow to jacksonville)

or manning could be doing this hoping the colts come up with a 1 or 2 year contract to keep him from goin to a division rival. who knows

The reason that Peyton has 1 SB is largely attributed to not having a balanced team! So it's not crazy to say titans aren't a fit because of a lack of D, that's more of a reason to suggest that! Why go to a team with similar problems? Improve your chances my upgrading and making vertical moves not moving laterally!!!

I disagree with the article's premise that a guaranteed job in the FO with a 7 figure salary does not count toward the cap.

The cap captures all player compensation, whether it is monetary, real estate, assets, and in this case, a guaranteed income stream in the future.

The NFL office will have no problems attaching a present value to a future income stream, and apply it against the cap.

Either way they CAN offer him a "lifetime contract"

Denver is strong on the outside, DEs OLBs and CB, they need to get strong down the middle, MLB, S, NT... And a few replacement corners to eventually take over. I think they compliment Manning well all around, and would get Mike Wallace if I were them and add Tulloch, Otogwae, and at least ine new DT. They would be deadly.

I said that because obviously they are the three best places he could play and win. Can't win in Tennessee..

The argument wasn't what would be the best fit, it was where would he end up. I said Denver Miami or tenn and u thought I was crazy

He has spent more time in Indy and Nashville is not his college playing home. At 36 most of his adult life has been in Indy and NO is what he considers home.