Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning To The Titans? [Merge]

tfunky14

Not if the terms in the lifetime contract blows their cap.

Lol I'm saying the can if they want. Regardless of cap hit or whatever. If they want to they can. Obviously if they can't afford it cap wise they won't offer it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't be OK with PM in a Titans uniform, and can't think of a worse scenario unless he went to Jacksonville.

Also, I don't know why in the world he would want to be a "Titan for life"...maybe for a few years, but Adams is not easy to get along with, makes snap decisions, and is a pretty crappy owner. I just can't see PM wanting to work with him after his playing days are done. This whole offer, actually makes me chuckle.

Also, I'm not sure what part of TN Ashley is from (they were married in Memphis), but there is a general hatred of eastern Tennessee (Knoxville/UT) from the rest of the state (Nashville/Vandy and Memphis) and vice-versa, and they aren't close together. Point is, they are different parts of the state, and the tie is only by state name, not emotion or past history.

This move will not sit well with me at all. I have much lOve and respect for pm but if he does indeed go to the titans "for life" it will in my opinion tarnish his legacy in Indy. To me it would be a major slap in the face to leave Indy then go to the titans and plan on retiring a Titan and being involved in their front office after retirement. Am I the only one who feels this way
First your team releases him and now the fans expect him not to sign in own division. Thought slavery ended a while ago. Peyton is a free man. He can do whatever he wants. Dont twist it and turn the blame on him. He is just trying to find a job which suits him and his family. As simple as that.

Either way they CAN offer him a "lifetime contract"

Not if the terms in the lifetime contract blows their cap.

And why would Peyton want to commit to his "next" job when he's having enough trouble just figuring this one out. He could get a front office job with the Colts in 5 minutes if he wanted one - I think that this offer is more creepy than enticing (particularly considering the fact that it's the unilateral decision of an eratic owner who is so old that he very likely won't even BE the managing owner by the time Peyton retires. The new owner could fire Peyton any time he wants. A contract can guarantee a certain amount of money, but it can't guarantee perpetual employment. That's just a silly idea. What, 20 years from now Peyton is sitting in his office with his feet up, playing darts and drinking beer, but the owner can't tell him to "get some work done" because Adams made him a promise? That's not how the world works.

First your team releases him and now the fans expect him not to sign in own division. Thought slavery ended a while ago. Peyton is a free man. He can do whatever he wants. Dont twist it and turn the blame on him. He is just trying to find a job which suits him and his family. As simple as that.

Slavery? Seriously?

He is a free man and can do what he wants just saying he will very quickly become the enemy by going to the titans.

Also, I'm not sure what part of TN Ashley is from (they were married in Memphis), but there is a general hatred of eastern Tennessee (Knoxville/UT) from the rest of the state (Nashville/Vandy and Memphis) and vice-versa, and they aren't close together. Point is, they are different parts of the state, and the tie is only by state name, not emotion or past history.

Interesting, good to know. I'm sure that he is beloved state wide by Vols fans, but hopefully he doesn't reciprocate. Knoxville is as far from Nashville as New York is from Baltimore. Whole different world.

This move will not sit well with me at all. I have much lOve and respect for pm but if he does indeed go to the titans "for life" it will in my opinion tarnish his legacy in Indy. To me it would be a major slap in the face to leave Indy then go to the titans and plan on retiring a Titan and being involved in their front office after retirement. Am I the only one who feels this way

First of all, Peyton may not want anything to do with administrative duties. Secondly, he didn't leave Indy: he was kicked out by the same guy who said the decision belonged to Manning.

If Peyton takes a "contract for life" and stays with the Titans organization after retiring, I don't know that I could ever forgive him.

why blame Peyton? If Irsay was a real man of his word, Peyton would be in Indy and retire from the field to our front office...but since Irsay wasnt being honest the whole time, now he will have to just deal with Peyton being somewhere he feels wanted.

How does that affect the Colts? He's gone, I wish him well, and I don't care how much someone else pays him.

Where did I say it affects the Colts? I just said I would be interested to know as in curious, I used "I". "I" do not speak for the Colts, just for myself. "I" am curious because it will tell me how the team signing him views his value. This is in NFL General, isn't it, and not the Colts section?

It is fine if you dont care, but I do care.

First of all, Peyton may not want anything to do with administrative duties. Secondly, he didn't leave Indy: he was kicked out by the same guy who said the decision belonged to Manning.

First of all I'm saying IF he goes to the titans. Secondly we don't know if Irsay kicked him out, maybe Irsay told him the plan for the team and pm thought it was best to part ways. Only the people involved know how that went down but he did leave Indy. He's no longer here.

http://profootballta...tract-for-life/

I found this pretty interesting. If Peyton is a "Colt for life" like he says, why would he be interested in parlaying a playing contract into an executive position for the Titans? Indy would hire him in a second in the front office!

If Peyton wants to be involved in the NFL in his post playing days he will be "owning" a team... I can't see him doing anything else.

Where did I say it affects the Colts? I just said I would be interested to know as in curious, I used "I". "I" do not speak for the Colts, just for myself. "I" am curious because it will tell me how the team signing him views his value. This is in NFL General, isn't it, and not the Colts section?

It is fine if you dont care, but I do care.

They were speculating $18 - 20 million no which of the 4 teams he signs with. Big market - no need for incentive based contract. They all seem confident that his arm is nearly back.

They were speculating $18 - 20 million no which of the 4 teams he signs with. Big market - no need for incentive based contract. They all seem confident that his arm is nearly back.

Did he conduct any throwing sessions in private that we know about (other than the Duke video)?

Did he conduct any throwing sessions in private that we know about (other than the Duke video)?

From what I've read he has extensive footage of the workouts at Duke. High quality video and not someone lurking with a cam phone that he distributed to the teams after his release. I've also read where he has no issues with working out for the team when it gets to that point.

Stokely joined for 3 of those workouts at Duke and said he was as good as 6 years ago. He said that he caught passes from him in Denver over the weekend and that he was even better then after a couple of days of rest due to the free agent stuff.

sure sounds interesting and I could see why Peyton would think about it.

I just don't see Peyton as a talent evaluator and a Front Office guy.

He would great as a NFL analyst because he is great in front of the camera and is a lot funnier than the guys in the pre-game show on FOX or CBS

I'm not sure why Colts fans would feel Peyton signing with the Titans would be a slap in the face or that it would tarnish his legacy with the Colts. First, regardless of the financial or "health" justifications that were given, Peyton was still cut...he didn't "want out". He didn't want to leave. He wanted to retire a Colt. I understand the circumstances involved and the rationale for Irsay moving on, but the fact is that he didn't want out, he was shown the door. So for the Colts to be upset with him going anywhere, including the Titans, is unfair. He needs to land in what he feels is the best spot for him to end his career. And to think that Petyon would go to the Titans simply to stick it to the Colts is a ridiculous assertion. Like any competitive player, I'm sure he'd enjoy playing the Colts when they crossed paths, but PM would never choose a team to end his career on simply based on revenge. As far as the "front office offer', that's Bud Adams talking, not Peyton...that will have no influence on his decision.

I live in TN near Knoxville. I'm a Titan fan and I've also pulled for PM and the Colts second to the Titans. A little perspective from this side. For PM to finish with the Titans is a rare opportunity. I think Colts fans may underestimate the deep connection that Peyton has to Tennessee and vice-versa. There's no doubt that he has spent more time in Indy and that's his home, but don't brush off the impact his four years at UT had on him and that he also considers TN home. He has an extremely deep investment in UT that's 2 & 1/2 hours from Nashville, a home in Nashville and his wife's family is 3 hours down the road in Memphis. He has deep roots in the community and in relationships here. Peyton is a Tennessee icon. And Peyton loves the state of TN. As far as the people here, I don't think you can find another NFL team that has had more fans from another state because of one player that played there. You have no clue how many primary Colts fans there is in TN because of Peyton.

You all spent 14 years with Peyton. You should know better than to think that he'd make a football decision simply based on "getting back at the Colts". And frankly, it's pretty selfish to say that he should not play for another team to avoid hurting the Colts feelings. The Colts are the one who showed him the door.

I think Denver and Tennessee are close in the football aspects. And he may very well go to Denver. With all things equal, I can't imagine why he wouldn't try to finish with TN if that opportunity is there. Why should he go to another town where he has no roots and finish that way? He has two states where he is loved throughout; Indiana & Tennessee. Even though he has spent more time in Indy, I can promise you that he is just as beloved here as he is there. It only makes sense that he would take the opportunity offered to finish his career in a state where he is loved statewide if all things are equal football-wise (and i believe they are).

Again, he may go to Denver. I hope he comes to TN. And if Colts fans blame him for that and choose to "tarnish his legacy", after all he has poured into Colts football and the city, than shame on Colts fans. To ask PM to be penalized and limited in finding the most fulfilling way to end his career is not fair. To ask him to pass on that just so he won't play in the division of the team that said "we're done with you", is shallow and extremely disappointing. He's not perfect, but he is a stand up guy, a pro's pro and someone who has given his heart and all his energy to the Colts and the city of Indy. So consider giving him some slack.

I realize that this isn't everyone's feelings, and I hope it's the minority, but i've seen this sentiment in several places and it concerns me, so i wanted to share some thoughts. Thanks for letting me share some thoughts on your message board!

I'm not sure why Colts fans would feel Peyton signing with the Titans would be a slap in the face or that it would tarnish his legacy with the Colts. First, regardless of the financial or "health" justifications that were given, Peyton was still cut...he didn't "want out". He didn't want to leave. He wanted to retire a Colt. I understand the circumstances involved and the rationale for Irsay moving on, but the fact is that he didn't want out, he was shown the door. So for the Colts to be upset with him going anywhere, including the Titans, is unfair. He needs to land in what he feels is the best spot for him to end his career. And to think that Petyon would go to the Titans simply to stick it to the Colts is a ridiculous assertion. Like any competitive player, I'm sure he'd enjoy playing the Colts when they crossed paths, but PM would never choose a team to end his career on simply based on revenge. As far as the "front office offer', that's Bud Adams talking, not Peyton...that will have no influence on his decision.

I live in TN near Knoxville. I'm a Titan fan and I've also pulled for PM and the Colts second to the Titans. A little perspective from this side. For PM to finish with the Titans is a rare opportunity. I think Colts fans may underestimate the deep connection that Peyton has to Tennessee and vice-versa. There's no doubt that he has spent more time in Indy and that's his home, but don't brush off the impact his four years at UT had on him and that he also considers TN home. He has an extremely deep investment in UT that's 2 & 1/2 hours from Nashville, a home in Nashville and his wife's family is 3 hours down the road in Memphis. He has deep roots in the community and in relationships here. Peyton is a Tennessee icon. And Peyton loves the state of TN. As far as the people here, I don't think you can find another NFL team that has had more fans from another state because of one player that played there. You have no clue how many primary Colts fans there is in TN because of Peyton.

You all spent 14 years with Peyton. You should know better than to think that he'd make a football decision simply based on "getting back at the Colts". And frankly, it's pretty selfish to say that he should not play for another team to avoid hurting the Colts feelings. The Colts are the one who showed him the door.

I think Denver and Tennessee are close in the football aspects. And he may very well go to Denver. With all things equal, I can't imagine why he wouldn't try to finish with TN if that opportunity is there. Why should he go to another town where he has no roots and finish that way? He has two states where he is loved throughout; Indiana & Tennessee. Even though he has spent more time in Indy, I can promise you that he is just as beloved here as he is there. It only makes sense that he would take the opportunity offered to finish his career in a state where he is loved statewide if all things are equal football-wise (and i believe they are).

Again, he may go to Denver. I hope he comes to TN. And if Colts fans blame him for that and choose to "tarnish his legacy", after all he has poured into Colts football and the city, than shame on Colts fans. To ask PM to be penalized and limited in finding the most fulfilling way to end his career is not fair. To ask him to pass on that just so he won't play in the division of the team that said "we're done with you", is shallow and extremely disappointing. He's not perfect, but he is a stand up guy, a pro's pro and someone who has given his heart and all his energy to the Colts and the city of Indy. So consider giving him some slack.

I realize that this isn't everyone's feelings, and I hope it's the minority, but i've seen this sentiment in several places and it concerns me, so i wanted to share some thoughts. Thanks for letting me share some thoughts on your message board!

I would love it if you can share your thoughts in a bigger font. :)

Welcome to the forum!!! :)

I never thought that day would come when I had to resize my monitor display settings to 800 by 600 pixels to read a message board post!!! LOL

Hahaha, it's so funny how many people have forgotten in due course that football is all about business (that was the standard phrase to underline the necessity to get rid of Manning and have a fresh start). So why on earth shouldn't Manning play for the Titans or Texans or Jaguars or Patriots?

sure sounds interesting and I could see why Peyton would think about it.

I just don't see Peyton as a talent evaluator and a Front Office guy.

He would great as a NFL analyst because he is great in front of the camera and is a lot funnier than the guys in the pre-game show on FOX or CBS

Either one isn't for everybody.

Marino was hired as the Dolphins Head of Football Operations and then resigned not too long after. Maybe it was too much work. Yet Elway relishes his role in Denver.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/sports/pro-football-marino-joins-dolphins-front-office.html

Joe Montana started out on TV and failed, so have other players such as Emmitt Smith, Tiki Barber.

It's too soon to even begin to predict what route Manning might take once he retires.

I agree for the most part, and would personally never ascribe the childish sentiments to Peyton that you are referring to. The thought of him going back to TN has a certain appeal that I understand, and I like the thought of him playing for fans who may be more forgiving than those that just view him as a hired gun.

On the other hand, I can't stand the thought of him being in the same division as the Colts, with all the confrontation that that implies. The goals of wishing success to both Peyton and the Colts will clash head to head in a painful manner, and will prompt further division in the fan base. Who needs it. One develops animosity to teams in your division, and "rooting" for the Titans in any sense will be unpleasant. I've always liked the Dolphins and the Broncos - those would be much more pleasant choices. Unlike many extremists on here, I would never turn on Peyton in any manner, and don't begrudge him his right to chose who he wants, but I have a clear preference that it NOT be the Titans (or Texans, or Jaguars), and I suspect that the vast majority of Colts fans would agree.

In addition, just hearing Adams talk as if Peyton is a Titan lifer who will always be welcome there is frankly offensive. He is a "Colt for life", and I'm looking forward to him having a lifelong affinity for the organization similar to Elway, Marino, etc. The thought of him continuing to work for the Titans (ie: against the Colts) after he retires is utterly repugnant.

By the way, I agree with others that your font was a poor choice. I had to "zoom in" four times just to read it.