Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
NewColtsFan

Pre-Season Priorities... (Evaluation vs. Winning)

Very pleased to see this story over on another website (SB)...   Think it comes from the CBS affiliate in Indy....

What are the Colts priorities this pre-season.   For Reich and Ballard,  it's far more important to evaluate the players on our 90-man roster.

That's far more important than winning.

The worst possible thing is cutting someone and having them show up on another team and he turns into a good player.   Sometimes it can't be helped,   but you want as little of this as possible.    So, you want to give everyone a good long look.    More information is better.   It helps to make a correct decision.

Worth a quick read....

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/08/06/for-colts-frank-reich-winning-in-preseason-is-nice-but-evaluation-is-main-goal/

In a perfect world, we'd go 2-2 and get a good look at everyone.   Also, obviously,  as few injuries as possible....

• Like 1

Indystar had a similar article that shared the "evaluation vs winning" comments and it's spot on. 

I hope, especially in this first game, they play the "locks" very little if at all, and let the rooks and folks competing for a spot get most of the time. 

I disagree about 2-2, but I really don't care about pre-season W/L. In a perfect world, we have so much good competition that while sitting most of our starters (the Bills are likely doing the same), we still beat anyone we play.

Winning in the pre-season speaks more to quality of depth and competition than anything else. We'll be vanilla as heck, but hopefully our talent and execution are good enough to prevail.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• It was 4th down. If we are talking about the pass that was batted back to JB and then he tossed it to Doyle. 
    • Looking at Ballards term as GM it most certainly hasn’t been easy,   his first year coming in has to keep a HC he didn’t want and had to deal with Lucks injury.    then in The second year but his first full offseason. He loses his first selection for  head coach and has to find a new one late in the process.    Now in his third season he loses his franchise QB right before the season starts and has 4 WRs on IR (Funchess, Rogers, Campbell, Fountain)   Dude hasn’t caught a break lol
    • LOL.... You beat me to it!!
    • If we had a good QB, we are likely in the playoffs already. It is not the lnjuries that have derailed us. 
    • Never called him great... just saying he's played well enough for us to win just about every week.  While his time to throw is high, he's the 26th least sacked QB in the league.  I know he's missed a few reads throughout the season, but he's not turning the ball over or taking many sacks.  I think it's worth keeping in mind that after Campbell went to IR,  we currently have three TEs who were all undrafted free agents in the past, and one healthy WR who was drafted (in the 3rd round by AZ in 2017, Chad Williams), the rest are UDFAs until TY gets healthy.  He's not really surrounded with much talent to get the ball to when he's not handing it off.  
  • Members

• DiogoZ

DiogoZ 22

• Fisticuffs111

Fisticuffs111 2,189

• coltsfan77

coltsfan77 111

• Robin

Robin 147

• GoColtsGo5150

GoColtsGo5150 228

• CantBeStopped