Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewColtsFan

Pre-Season Priorities... (Evaluation vs. Winning)

Very pleased to see this story over on another website (SB)...   Think it comes from the CBS affiliate in Indy....

What are the Colts priorities this pre-season.   For Reich and Ballard,  it's far more important to evaluate the players on our 90-man roster.

That's far more important than winning.

The worst possible thing is cutting someone and having them show up on another team and he turns into a good player.   Sometimes it can't be helped,   but you want as little of this as possible.    So, you want to give everyone a good long look.    More information is better.   It helps to make a correct decision.

Worth a quick read....

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/08/06/for-colts-frank-reich-winning-in-preseason-is-nice-but-evaluation-is-main-goal/

In a perfect world, we'd go 2-2 and get a good look at everyone.   Also, obviously,  as few injuries as possible....

Indystar had a similar article that shared the "evaluation vs winning" comments and it's spot on. 

I hope, especially in this first game, they play the "locks" very little if at all, and let the rooks and folks competing for a spot get most of the time. 

I disagree about 2-2, but I really don't care about pre-season W/L. In a perfect world, we have so much good competition that while sitting most of our starters (the Bills are likely doing the same), we still beat anyone we play.

Winning in the pre-season speaks more to quality of depth and competition than anything else. We'll be vanilla as heck, but hopefully our talent and execution are good enough to prevail.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• With 100-plus players, coaches and support staff in a locker room in July and August, I don’t see how the NFL survives the season.  And I hope I’m wrong.   But I AGREE with you that the NBA and MLB are completely different.  But since both have dramatically fewer players and coaches, etc,  I think the NFL has a much more difficult  hurdle to clear.   I think the odds for football have to be much more difficult than those for MLB and the NBA.   Please let me be wrong.  Nothing would make me happier. 
    • It'll be interesting to watch, but IMO, the NBA and MLB are different animals. NBA will be playing in a bubble, and MLB is a lot less contact. Heck, you could actually play baseball with a face mask lol. I could see both fairing pretty well, which may or may not be indicative of what we'll see with the NFL.    All I know is all the players (NFL, MLB, and NBA) should be bubble wrapping themselves given the money they stand to make/loose. I know most of the players are itching to play, so just hope they're disciplined enough to make good choices.
    • The value is pretty incredible. Would anyone really be shocked if Cam started and did well? Nope.   I think Bill Belichick got tired of hearing all the Brady/TB chatter, and said.... "OK guys, watch this" lol.    I'll be hoping that both TB and NE have horrible seasons lol   Strange times.
    • Looks like they are now undergoing a review of the Redskins name.  A change seems likely due to the pressure from Fedex, NFL and public at large. They were the Boston Braves before they came to D.C.  So maybe just call them the Washington Braves or Washington Warriors if “Braves” is still deemed to be too insensitive.  FWIW, the Cleveland Indians are also considering a name change.  
  • Members

• DynaMike

DynaMike 21

• CR91

CR91 10,589

• rockywoj

rockywoj 2,014

• WoolMagnet

WoolMagnet 4,710

• stitches

stitches 8,882

• Legend_Coslosky