Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Surprise final 53 player?

HectorRoberts

So with camp underway does anyone have any players they are keeping an eye on that could potentially crack the final 53? The guy I’m keeping an eye on is Keshawn hogan. He’s been part of this organization for 3 years between IR last year and practice squad the 2 years before. I feel like they must see something pretty special about him to keep him around this long.

You would have to assume (barring injuries) Hilton , Funches, Campbell are locks.  I'd like to include Rogers in there but I see a chance (small) of him not making it, tho i would be surprised.

Besides that Rogers, Pascal, Cain, Fountain, Ishmael, Hart, and Hogan have all received praise.

At the moment, i have Rogers in at #4 withbPascal, Cain, and (slightly behind) Fountain as battling it out.

But i expect one of the other guys to flash in PS and make cuts even harder. I wish they could find a way to keep 6. There is gonna be some talented guys cut and i expect at least 2 to make other squads.

Its too early for me to guess a wildcard.  So many guys have a chance at so many positions.  I am more interested in which guys on the team last year are surprise cuts.

I have no idea what i would do.  I'd like to keep an extra 6 or 8 players, but the word is out on Ballard and all teams will be watching our practice squad.

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hale Hentges

Good guess.  I thought of him and he could be a cheaper replacement (future) for Doyle or Ebron.  I have my doubts we could hide him on practice squad.  Has he looked good in camp? Hows his blocking?

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Good guess.  I thought of him and he could be a cheaper replacement (future) for Doyle or Ebron.  I have my doubts we could hide him on practice squad.  Has he looked good in camp? Hows his blocking?

I’ve targeted this guy since the draft. I hope his blacking is good since that was supposed to be his knack coming in with potential as a receiving threat hidden in as a talent not utilized while at Alabama. I’d probably keep him over Travis at this point seeing we will have both Doyle and Ebron up for contracts after the season. 

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He can’t replace Ebron. Ebron is to athletic and fast. Maybe Doyle but you better be sure he can do the job. He could replace Travis though if second keep four TE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I won’t be surprised if Cain ends up on IR the first half of the season. Just so they can see what another receiver can do. I want to say though Rogers and Cain are locks and will round out the 53. You just can’t let Rogers go when no one else can field punts. It is to important to mess up.

That's not likely to happen.  For one, taking a (seemingly) healthy player and sticking him on IR for half the year, is going to * him off, not to mention the NFLPA.  In fact, I'm pretty sure there are rules against this, and it is the reason many times that you see an injury agreement reached, like the Colts are doing with S. Ware.....  the player wants to play that season, or sooner that season than the team thinks he can, so there's a buyout negotiated.

NFLPA is pretty adamant that using the IR system as a way to "greyshirt" players is a violation of the CBA.

• Like 1

He can’t replace Ebron. Ebron is to athletic and fast. Maybe Doyle but you better be sure he can do the job. He could replace Travis though if second keep four TE.

Agreed.  I think Doyle will be the TE who could be out after this season, IF Mo Cox can develop into a more consistent receiver, and keep being a force in the blocking game...  I think Doyle gets let go...  too many injuries for the cost sadly.

• Like 1

I won’t be surprised if Cain ends up on IR the first half of the season. Just so they can see what another receiver can do. I want to say though Rogers and Cain are locks and will round out the 53. You just can’t let Rogers go when no one else can field punts. It is to important to mess up.

Did Cain get hurt?

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

No but I think they could still stick him on IR  if they thought he wasn’t quite ready. Not sure if that would be against the rules. It could also let then see how a guy like fountain might do. I doubt it happens. It was just a thought.

yeah they can't put an uninjured player on IR.  Even if it weren't against the rules, I cant see Cain ever agreeing to that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s funny because Hale looks slow as molasses compared to the other players on the field. Haha definitely someone to watch for preseason. I can see him taking Travis’ spot if he stays injured.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he signed with the patriots.  not for much money but they did give him contract incentives 

Looks like there is a chance he could be cut. I wonder what the possibility would be to bring him back if he did. I don’t think the colts have any room. It would mean cutting a young guy who might be playing well.

Hentges isn’t super fast but has run a 4.75 40. That’s not pedestrian. And he blocks extremely well and can play special teams. He’s catching everything thrown to him. I see 4 TEs being kept and he sure looks like a solid 4th candidate. Let’s see how he does in the pre season games.  He’ll get his chances. 

PS. For reference sake, Doyle ran a 4.9 40. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

https://www.colts.com/news/hale-hentges-surprising-colts-coaching-staff

This just posted on Colts.com front page today.  Sounds like he's having a good camp.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No but I think they could still stick him on IR  if they thought he wasn’t quite ready. Not sure if that would be against the rules. It could also let then see how a guy like fountain might do. I doubt it happens. It was just a thought.

Cain would have to be injured first. You can’t just throw a player on IR without a confirmed injury. 

I'd remind all posters here that there's likely a decent chance (50%) that Ballard claims someone off the cut list from another team.     Someone that Ballard has his eye on now,  and is hoping for whatever reason the team cuts him,  so Ballard can claim him.

Whoever is our 53rd guy,  and there are all sorts of possibilities,  can't feel safe....    because a late grab by Ballard could knock him out of that spot.

Just saying....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd remind all posters here that there's likely a decent chance (50%) that Ballard claims someone off the cut list from another team.     Someone that Ballard has his eye on now,  and is hoping for whatever reason the team cuts him,  so Ballard can claim him.

Whoever is our 53rd guy,  and there are all sorts of possibilities,  can't feel safe....    because a late grab by Ballard could knock him out of that spot.

Just saying....

That was true in the past few years, but  feels less likely this year. For a change, other teams will be doing that with the Colts’ castoffs. 

Don't know how shocking these moves would be to other people, but one guy I can see being cut that I thought was safe before training camp is Evan Boehm.

He seems to be playing with the 3rd stringers in camp behind Josh Andrews, and I thought he was one of our solidified backup linemen for this year. I think an offensive linemen can surprise people and make the roster like Glowinski did last year.

I could see George Odum making the roster over Matthias Farley as well, which was not something I saw happening unless there was an injury.

7 hours ago, Hoose said:

That was true in the past few years, but  feels less likely this year. For a change, other teams will be doing that with the Colts’ castoffs. 

I absolutey agree that we are going to lose a number of players who we will cut and maybe want to bring back,  but other teams will grab them.

I think there's a decent chance you're right.    That's why I used the number of 50% that we might grab someone.     There's also a 50% chance that we don't.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, Hoose said:

Hentges isn’t super fast but has run a 4.75 40. That’s not pedestrian. And he blocks extremely well and can play special teams. He’s catching everything thrown to him. I see 4 TEs being kept and he sure looks like a solid 4th candidate. Let’s see how he does in the pre season games.  He’ll get his chances. 

PS. For reference sake, Doyle ran a 4.9 40. 

I have so much respect for pro players. I played semi pro football and my fastest 40 was 4.78 and I played strong safety and corner. I don’t think a lot of people realize how good these guys that are backups or even get cut are.  

On 8/6/2019 at 10:09 AM, J@son said:

yeah they can't put an uninjured player on IR.  Even if it weren't against the rules, I cant see Cain ever agreeing to that. 

Not to mention the stupidity behind putting a guy that likely makes your team better on IR for a half a fricken season.....in order to "try out" undrafted fringe roster players.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 1:40 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying....

You are correct. They are keeping eyes out for other teams “bubble players”. Reich said it in an interview last week. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, Chloe6124 said:

I won’t be surprised if Cain ends up on IR the first half of the season.

If he becomes seriously injured early in the season, it might happen.

Just so they can see what another receiver can do.

Nope, can't do that.  Has to be either declared inactive, sent to Practice Squad, or waived/cut.  IR for healthy players is not an option.

I want to say though Rogers and Cain are locks and will round out the 53. You just can’t let Rogers go when no one else can field punts. It is to important to mess up.

Being able to contribute on ST's is important, especially bubble players.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Chloe6124 said:

No but I think they could still stick him on IR  if they thought he wasn’t quite ready.

Cannot do that.  He must be declared seriously injured by the medical staff (usually defined as an injury that would keep a player from participating 6 weeks or longer) to be placed on IR.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure if that would be against the rules.

It is, as others have pointed out.  Since teams can only bring back up to 2 players from IR after week 8, the IR list fills with players from all teams the are eventually healthy enough to play again, but not allowed.  That's why injured settlements sometimes happen.  A player gets all of his money when placed on IR, but is basically a couch potato (Not really, they work out etc... , but can't play or even go to another team).  These guys want to be out there playing, and sometimes get an injury settlement and released to pursue playing for another team.

Interesting IR fact: a team CAN place a player on IR for a minor injury... BUT... the player must be released as soon as he is healthy ** (passes a team physical). If the player gets picked up, that new team must pay remainder of his contract, otherwise player gets full pay from his original team.

( **See- Nate Kaeding/Chargers)