Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King on Luck

“A year after Luck addressed all concerns about his health with a series of exclamation points, the stubborn question marks are back, and it’s hard not to wonder whether the bulk of his career will be punctuated by one stubborn injury situation after another, until the man who turns 30 in one month and one week decides he’s had one injury too many, and moves on.”

Well, there is the elephant in the room. Also way too long of a sentence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CamMo said:

“A year after Luck addressed all concerns about his health with a series of exclamation points, the stubborn question marks are back, and it’s hard not to wonder whether the bulk of his career will be punctuated by one stubborn injury situation after another, until the man who turns 30 in one month and one week decides he’s had one injury too many, and moves on.”

Yeah. I always want to reply to people when they say stuff like "we have ten more years of Luck."

We might. I could see him playing all the way to 40 but I could just as easily see him hang it up in his mid 30s.

I feel like there's nothing outlandish about that statement but I'm sure that'll get people riled up nonetheless.

42 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I don't think that someone is quitting football over a calf strain.

Neither does anyone who has as of yet, posted in this thread, nor does the original story by King.  That said, Luck has a ton of other interests, soon a family, and he's set for life.  I think he has a burning desire to compete at the highest level, but at what point does the rest of your life start to become an equal, or greater, priority full time? 

That's what has been clearly stated and responded to in this thread, the question of if, and when, that "doubt" for lack of a better term, creeps into #12's mind.  He's already mentioned thinking about never playing again and what his life would be like last year.  

All this aside, I do agree with your post that no one quits a pro football career over a calf strain.

• Like 1

I personally dont think Luck is one of those qbs that will be playing into his forties.  He has taken alot of punishment already and though he is very good, I dont really sense a strong passion for the game from him.  He is very intelligent and has other interests outside of just football.  

• Thanks 1

The most perplexing thing to me about the whole calf injury is that this is still an issue nearly 4 months after he initially injured it.  I even saw a video clip with Peter King interviewing Luck where it was insinuated that he might have even injured it late last season which would even add to my concerns.

Perhaps the holding out of practice is just a way to avoid extra wear on the area, and this was the plan all along, but its still weird how our QB who is not even 30 yet is healing more like one in his 40's. 

One thing that sticks out to me after his shoulder injury is he said he had to find his worth outside of football. He also talked about longevity in a interview a few days ago. I think he wants a SB. I don’t think he would just say I am retiring after a season. I think he will give them time to prepare. I think he could retire by 35 or play until 40. It could go either way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I personally dont think Luck is one of those qbs that will be playing into his forties.  He has taken alot of punishment already and though he is very good, I dont really sense a strong passion for the game from him.  He is very intelligent and has other interests outside of just football.  

I respectfully disagree...I’m not sure he will play till 40...but I see plenty of passion for the game from him...the jubilation he shows for every TD...Luck is just a quirky guy but I definitely think he cares and wants to win

• Like 3

Luck isn't gonna quit on his team. One thing that stuck to me was when Reich took over and Luck started playing after his shoulder injury, he had this excitement coming back on the field.  If he can overcome a shoulder injury, a calf strain is definitely something that's not gonna make him retire so soon.  Other QBs would have walked out after a shoulder injury but Luck was so determined to get back on the field and did everything he could have done.  Guess what? He silenced the doubters. Yeah, the calf strain might limit his running abilities but he can still throw. Then again, it's just TC and pre-season. 

We can all assume all we want but in the end none of us really know what will happen.  We don't know if any player will wake up one day and say "I'm done."  Will he play to 35 or 40?  Will his body allow it after all of the hits he has already taken?  Who knows?

So there is a mental aspect and a physical aspect.  And we don't know how Andrew really feels about either.  We hear what he says and then try to make some sense about what it means.

Relax - it really is just a game.  In the end if he quits tomorrow it won't have a significant impact on your life.  If the Colts don't win a Superbowl in the next 5 years most of us will be just fine. 

Every player is injured and play through it. Just watch the Arian Foster interview. He talks about how there arent any players who arent injured through the year and that's a reason why he retired. 

Andrew was overall healthy for most of his career until year 4 when he just couldn't take getting hit as the most hit QB 4 years straight. To me this doesn't signify that hes injury prone. As of late he has had some injuries. 2 major ones that would take anyone out for a significant amount of time. Where were these "injury prone" alarmists back then? No where in sight. Now all of a sudden hes injury prone. Why doe no one mention that he took the most hits in the NFL and stayed healthy for 4 years? Why is this an irrelevant stat? To me that says hes pretty dang tough. One injury took him out for nearly 2 years. One. All the rest have been nothing. 

This doesn't mean he wont continue to be injured and decide to retire, but as of yet I wont lebel him prone. Let's not act like hes Chad Pennington. 

Well, I have one idea about this whole thing.........

Speculation accomplishes nothing. However, accepting and experiencing your team in real time without apprehension, fear, or doubt.... accomplishes many things....the least of which, is peace of mind. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As long as he sees progress and loves the game he will try to overcome the injuries.  When it gets to be too much he'll hang 'em up.  That's my opinion.

I would hope that having a high quality line in front of him and new toys to play with will keep his optimism fired up each season.  Ballard and Reich have to keep their boy happy!

i have always questioned if Luck will play into his 40s.  its hard to get the conversation going here but Peter King managed to do it

i think Ballard and Irasy should consider our super bowl window to be short, and get aggressive now that we have a good team.  i know ballard says its not about one guy, but that is 1000% GM corporate speak.  we will go as far as Luck takes us

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Speculation accomplishes nothing. However, accepting and experiencing your team in real time without apprehension, fear, or doubt.... accomplishes many things....the least of which, is peace of mind. 

I wish I could like this more than once.  

I used to live and die all things Colts.  We went to the AFCCG in New England after the 2003 season and that loss kept me awake at night for weeks.

Now with age and becoming a parent, I see things much differently and better understand what is important.  I can't control whether Luck plays week 1 or retires next season so why would I spend a milli-second worrying about it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i have always questioned if Luck will play into his 40s.  its hard to get the conversation going here but Peter King managed to do it

i think Ballard and Irasy should consider our super bowl window to be short, and get aggressive now that we have a good team.  i know ballard says its not about one guy, but that is 1000% GM corporate speak.  we will go as far as Luck takes us

As long as they don't mortgage too much of the future I'm okay with this.  Grab free agents on medium instead of short) contracts, but don't trade all of oour 1&2 draft picks.  3's on down I'm okay with.

I still wouldn't do the Khalil Mack trade today as an example.  Maybe a 1st and 2 2nds, but not two 1sts.  Nope.  Nuh-uh.  I don't think we're that close.  I still don't see us winning in NE as of today.  Just my thought.

He is a man that is a bit gun shy. That kidney laceration could have been a career ending injury but he fought back. I give him credit for trying to back to a solid playing form but this could easily cause an issue with the tough start we have this year. That said, I expect him to play week 1 but who knows at this point. 

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I agree with your general point, definitely.

Still, as somebody who took part in the discussion/speculation, I'm definitely enjoying/experiencing this team in real time without fear/apprehension. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

My dog could write a better article than that. Very poor.

it was mostly direct quotes.  It didnt help that Lucks comments were disjointed and didnt come off well in print 

PK is usually a pretty good writer, looks like he didnt spend much time cleaning this up.  there was a typo or two in there too

22 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

He is a man that is a bit gun shy. That kidney laceration could have been a career ending injury but he fought back. I give him credit for trying to back to a solid playing form but this could easily cause an issue with the tough start we have this year. That said, I expect him to play week 1 but who knows at this point. 

A lot of people have us losing this chargers game. So if we lose it so be it. Hopefully if the offense is off the defense can keep us in the game.

• Like 1

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if there could more to this than just a lingering "calf strain". Are the Colts using the calf strain as an excuse to keep him out of practice while he's also having a more serious issue with his shoulder? At this point, injuries don't have to be reported like they are during the regular season (thanks, Vegas!), so you could theoretically use a hangnail as an excuse to cover something far more serious. Historically, the Colts haven't been very forthcoming about Luck's injuries, and there have been reports that he is still working with Tom House. 

OK... fire at will. Now where did I put my flameproof suit?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 10:05 AM, CamMo said:

He's only had one real injury, hasn't he?  Granted, it lingered for about three years but the sentence implies Luck could be frustrated due to being prone to injury.  I don't think he's injury prone at all.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's only had one real injury, hasn't he?  Granted, it lingered for about three years but the sentence implies Luck could be frustrated due to being prone to injury.  I don't think he's injury prone at all.

Well, his season actually ended in 2015 with a torn ab and lacerated kidney in that Denver game. Yes shoulder surgery soon followed.
 We know he took a plethora of hard hits for 3-4 years, many while running/holding onto the ball. No doubt we are all glad to see him running less and getting the ball out quicker.
 It is fair to wonder how well his 30+ year old body will hold up to the rigors to come.
 The good news is he is signed for 3 more years, so we have i would expect 2 more seasons to see how things go before an ext. And he has No more fully guaranteed $$.