Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth chart

some interesting notes

-Clark listed as the backup LT

-Rogers is listed as the 3rd WR along with Cain being behind Marcus Johnson

-Lewis is listed as a one tech instead of a three tech

-Adams is still listed as a starter at SAM

-Campbell isn't listed at either returner spot

-Boehm listed as the backup LG which makes sense since Andrews I guess can't play G, however I haven't seen Boehm play G at camp yet.

-Khari Willis is ahead of Farley. Shakial Taylor ahead of Collins

I don't put too much stock into the order of certain positions of these first depth charts. Seems like they have older guys ahead of the younger guys in most cases (although Willis ahead of Farley did catch my eye). Keeps the younger guys hungry while giving respect to established players? I don't know, but I do know that these first unofficial depth charts have had some surprises in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

some interesting notes

-Boehm listed as the backup LG which makes sense since Andrews I guess can't play G, however I haven't seen Boehm play G at camp yet.

I don't think clark will make the cut he's been getting beat bad at camp....lewis might be better at that position with autry being disruptive at the line

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

some interesting notes

This stood out to me as well. I could see them putting him here often early to see how he plays next to Autry. If they are going true wave rotation, they might feel more comfortable with Lewis starting at the 1 with Hunter and Stewart as rotation and Autry soley at the 3 with Ward as a rotation with Lewis. 

Autry is their guy at 3. They likely want Ward to be involved with the rotation and are seeing if Lewis sticks at the 1. If so, we are looking good on the line, even with Sheard out. Muhammad played great last year, and Turay will see plenty of reps. I'm interested to see Green and Banagou rotated in a lot as well this preseason. 

Adams at the top of Sam isn't surprising to me. It seems like he's doing well enough to be there, even though we won't see much of him with various multi-safety and nickel/dime packages more often than not. EJ Speed has been working with 1st team at Sam as well, so it will be fun to keep an eye on those guys this preseason. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Never thought he’d be a lock for the 53. Cain going to need a solid preseason.

He may need a solid preseason but I don't read anything into a depth chart on August 4th.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I’m in the minority and bet he ends up on the PUP!

He is not PUP eligible. 

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I don't think clark will make the cut he's been getting beat bad at camp....lewis might be better at that position with autry being disruptive at the line

It's been noted that Clark has played as the back-up at BOTH Left AND Right tackle this camp and is doing well.

As of today,  he's looking like a strong bet to make the roster.

I'm aware that he's long been one of the MOST unpopular players on the team.  (With fans)

• Like 1

Not putting a whole lot into this one. A lot of time before final cuts.

On WR, assuming we kept the same ratio we did most of the year last year (3 X, 2 slot/Z), neither Campbell or Cain would be on the 53... Doubt we see that.

Surprised to see Kindred at FS. Thought Hentges would be a bit higher. Also surprised that the return positions don't list more.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's been noted that Clark has played as the back-up at BOTH Left AND Right tackle this camp and is doing well.

As of today,  he's looking like a strong bet to make the roster.

I'm aware that he's long been one of the MOST unpopular players on the team.  (With fans)

Speaking of things...why would Clark ever be in competition with Lewis or Autry? :)

26 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Depth Charts never make any sense

I agree they often don't make a lot of sense, but they used to reflect a little bit of promotion/demotion. 

Seems they are pretty much just click bait these days.

From a "sense" perspective, I hate that the structure of the depth chart does not really match are most common scheme on both O and D. On O, we're in a 3 WR set most often, so why show a depth chart with a 2 TE set? And on D, why show a 4-3-4, when the majority of the time you're in a 4-2-5 nickel. 

Not a lot of change in the week 3 (preseason) depth chart just released. 

The only change I really noticed besides the adds/cuts were they moved Marcus Johnson from the 3rd X spot, to the 4th Z/slot stack. With that move, Cain moved up to 3rd, and Hogan to 4th. 

With only 11 days prior to final cuts, every day is critical to some of the fringe guys. It's going to be interesting at 4pm on 8/31... 

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-2019-preseason-week-3

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 5:13 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Interesting Johnson is ahead of Cain.

Johnson just seems like a JAG to me.  He's got some athletic traits, but he never really goes out there and dominates. I didn't like some of the dropped passes either. 

• Like 1