Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spencer Ware placed on PUP list

Caleb3502

Preseason PUP[edit]

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP[edit]

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

So Ware has to sit out six games then they can bring him back. I doubt he ever sees a down as a colt.

Ware is a talented guy, and does a lot of things well (best power runner of the bunch). If he'll truly be back healthy, I absolutely think we see him. Having a fresh back coming in to contribute to start the 2nd 3rd of the season could be a very good thing. IIRC this will let us keep another RB while Ware is still protected in terms of the roster, correct? It's kinda like a nice insurance plan.

And.. I like the sound of Ford now if Ware is hurt. Even though he's a limited pure power back, I like the thought of a pure bulldozer type in short yardage situations when we play LAC and Houston (both top 10 vs the run last year) in the first 6 games.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So Ware has to sit out six games then they can bring him back. I doubt he ever sees a down as a colt.

Those reporting from camp said both Williams and Ford are looking real good.  I guess Wilkins has been out, but I was rooting for him to be the #3.  

Watch out for Jonathan Williams...

I remember reading where Ballard really likes him.

http://rosterguy.com/potential-surprise-cuts-looming-for-the-colts

...Jonathan Williams returns from 2018. He finished the season on the active roster, but was limited in his playing time. While head coach Frank Reich has raved about Williams, we have yet to see him produce.

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Ware is a talented guy, and does a lot of things well (best power runner of the bunch). If he'll truly be back healthy, I absolutely think we see him. Having a fresh back coming in to contribute to start the 2nd 3rd of the season could be a very good thing. IIRC this will let us keep another RB while Ware is still protected in terms of the roster, correct? It's kinda like a nice insurance plan.

And.. I like the sound of Ford now if Ware is hurt. Even though he's a limited pure power back, I like the thought of a pure bulldozer type in short yardage situations when we play LAC and Houston (both top 10 vs the run last year) in the first 6 games.

Ford...looking good right now in camp is one thing.  Running physical in games is another.  From what I saw of him  in college and with the Bills he does not look to be the physical power runner that we really need.  But we will see.   I'm definitely disappointed that may not get to see Ware's physical style compliment our other backs in INDY.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ford...looking good right now in camp is one thing.  Running physical in games is another.  From what I saw of him  in college and with the Bills he does not look to be the physical power runner that we really need.  But we will see.   I'm definitely disappointed that may not get to see Ware's physical style compliment our other backs in INDY.

I'm disappointed too on Ware.

I do disagree on Ford though. I know they are mostly highlights (and combine/draft reviews) that I'm basing my opinion on, but Ford does look pretty in short yardage situations. If you've followed him his entire career, I bow to your experience.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/02/colts-sign-dadi-nicolas-put-spencer-ware-on-reserve-pup/

...It’s rare that players hit that reserve list during camp because it ends their season, but that’s how things played out for Colts running back Spencer Ware.

The Colts announced the move on Friday afternoon along with the signing of Dadi Nicolas. The move takes Ware off the 90-man roster and could help Jonathan Williams‘s chances of making the team, although the Colts met with Mike Gillislee this week...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t get this at all.  Ware said he expects to be able to play week one for some one else.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/03/spencer-ware-plans-to-reach-injury-settlement-with-colts-play-for-another-team/

Colts allow this for Luck but cut Ware for it?  Seems to me they would do what was needed to hold on to him till he gets right and play him later in the season same as how they are handling the Luck situation.  We could really use someone who runs with that kind of physicality.  It’s not on this roster currently.  Ford is not the same as this dude.