Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin Gordon's agent requests a trade.

20 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1156955024859303937?s=21

Thoughts? Should Ballard avoid going after him? I know its a long shot Ballard trades for him but, we don't know if Mack is going to stay healthy or not. The RB core is not a for sure thing going  into the season.

I'm leaning towards the "RB core is a sure thing". Maybe that short yardage back isn't quite nailed down yet but I think it unlikely the Colts will be bringing in a high profile guy at the position this season.

21 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Thoughts? Should Ballard avoid going after him? I know its a long shot Ballard trades for him but, we don't know if Mack is going to stay healthy or not. The RB core is not a for sure thing going  into the season.

There is literally zero chance that Ballard would...

1) give up any capital at all for Gordon

2) pay Gordon whatever it is he wants to be paid

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, DownHillRunner said:

I'll put it this way... Ballard could have easily had Le'von Bell for less money and no draft picks... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

For me it's not the draft capital which might not be as high as you think it would be.  But for me it's that Gordon is going to want a truckload of money that I guarantee Ballard (rightly) isn't willing to give him.

These guys all want 10M or more APY.  They are not worth that.  RB's just arn't worth that.

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I don't necessarily agree with #1...but I agree he wouldn't pay him. 

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

For me it's not the draft capital which might not be as high as you think it would be.  But for me it's that Gordon is going to want a truckload of money that I guarantee Ballard (rightly) isn't willing to give him.

These guys all want 10M or more APY.  They are not worth that.  RB's just arn't worth that.

Gordon has already turned down 4/40.   $10 mill per.

He reportedly wants $13 mill per.   I doubt the Chargers will give him that.

I think there’s zero chance we would.  If Mack turns into a good solid back,  I think Ballard MIGHT be willing to someday pay around $5-7 mill per.   But I doubt he’d ever want to pay more than that to anyone. 

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have to agree with this. Its not fair that RBs aren't as valued as they once were; its a tough position with a short shelf life. But that's just the way it is. You can't blame the top RBs for trying to max the money they are paid given they are always a play away from retirement. But you can't blame the teams for acknowledging that reality with their payroll either. That said, Melvin Gordon won't be a Colt, and is almost certain to be a well paid Charger before the end of camp.