Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Anatomy - 2018 stats/fact & 2019 influences

EastStreet

With all the discussion and debate on who will make it, and how many will be kept at certain positions,... Here's some data from last year to help you with your arguments.

What do you our roster will look like per position?

Below are a few things

1. A look at 2018's roster numbers by position (from colts.com unofficial depthchart) and the fluctuations (mostly due to injury). I've used games 4, 8, 12, and 16, as points in time. Not including P/K/LS, which always equaled 3 total.

2. Position allotment on the practice squad to start the 2018 season. 

3. Snap count % to show how much a few certain positions, or certain schemes, are utilized. Also a look at what positions are utilized most on STs.

4. Potential influences to the 2019 roster make up

Position: Game 4/8/12/16

QB: 2/2/2/2
RB: 3/4/4/4 (3.75 Average)
Tight End: 4/5/4/3 (4 Average)

Wide Receivers (Total): 5/5/5/6 (5.75 Average)
-X WR: 3/3/3/3 (X was a bit of a rotating mess)
-Z WR: 1/1/1/2
-Slot WR: 1/1/1/1

O Line (Total) 10/9/10/10 (9.75 Average)
-LT: 2/2/2/2
-LG: 2/1/1/1
-C: 2/2/3/3
-RG: 2/2/2/2
-RT: 2/2/2/2

D Line (Total): 10/10/9/8 (9.25 Average)
DE: 5/5/4/4
NT: 2/2/3/2
UT: 3/3/2/2

LB (Total): 6/5/6/6 (5.75 Average)
WILL: 2/2/2/2
MIKE: 2/1/2/2
SAM: 2/2/2/2

DB (Total): 11/11/11/12 (11.25 Average)
CB: 6/6/5/5
FS: 3/3/3/4
SS: 2/2/2/3

Practice Squad going into week 1 position #s
QB: 1
TE: 1
WR: 2
RB: 1
OG: 1
CB: 1
LB: 1
DE: 2

Snap Count Data - Defense
-We used a 2 LB set almost 91% of the time
-We used 3 CB sets 73% of the time
-We used 3 S sets 19% of the time

Snap Count Data - Offense
-We used 3 WR sets 56% of the time
-We used 2 TE sets 29% of the time
-We used 2 RB sets almost 3% of the time

Snap Count Data - Special teams (average bodies per position per ST play)
-C: 0.02
-G: 0.38
-T: 0.30
-RB: 0.36 
-TE: 0.59
-WR: 0.78

-DB: 3.31 (CB and S were almost equal)
-LB: 2.48
-DE: 0.76
-DT/NT: 1.04

-K: 0.17
-LS: 0.31
-P: 0.51

Potential influences to position counts in 2019
1. We'll see much better passing teams which means more nickel and dime. We played 5 DBs in 90+% of the D snaps last year, More this year?

2. Because we're facing better Os, we'll have to score more, and score potentially from behind. More WRs this year?

3. A lot of talk about Banogu taking snaps at SAM. We only used a 3 LB set ~9% of the time. Will this push us to keep only 1 true LB at SAM instead of 2 like last year?

4. We're breaking in a rook at WR, and FA at WR, and an almost rookie recovering from a major injury. Might we keep 6 WRs to start the year until things settle down?

5. The TE number fluctuated last year from 3-5 at any point in the season, primarily due to injury. 

6. We ran 2 TE sets 29% of the time las year. With the addition of TE-lite Funchess, do we run 2 TE sets less, or with Doyle back and healthy, do we use 2 TEs more?

7. By the looks of it, WR has been upgrade big time. Do we see more 3 WR sets, or even 4 this year?

8. With the big upgrade in terms of QB quality we'll see this year, will we see more 3 DE rush sets?

9. The OL over the course of 2018 gelled and settled into a very good one. Do we still need to carry 10 if everyone is healthy?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

With all the discussion and debate on who will make it, and how many will be kept at certain positions,... Here's some data from last year to help you with your arguments.

Below are a few things

1. A look at 2018's roster numbers by position (from colts.com unofficial depthchart) and the fluctuations (mostly due to injury). I've used games 4, 8, 12, and 16, as points in time. Not including P/K/LS, which always equaled 3 total.

3. Snap count % to show how much a few certain positions, or certain schemes, are utilized. Also a look at what positions are utilized most on STs.

1. We'll see much better passing teams which means more nickel and dime. We played 5 DBs in 90+% of the D snaps last year, More this year?

2. Because we're facing better Os, we'll have to score more, and score potentially from behind. More WRs this year?

3. A lot of talk about Banogu taking snaps at SAM. We only used a 3 LB set ~9% of the time. Will this push us to keep only 1 true LB at SAM instead of 2 like last year?

4. We're breaking in a rook at WR, and FA at WR, and an almost rookie recovering from a major injury. Might we keep 6 WRs to start the year until things settle down?

5. The TE number fluctuated last year from 3-5 at any point in the season, primarily due to injury. 

6. We ran 2 TE sets 29% of the time las year. With the addition of TE-lite Funchess, do we run 2 TE sets less, or with Doyle back and healthy, do we use 2 TEs more?

7. By the looks of it, WR has been upgrade big time. Do we see more 3 WR sets, or even 4 this year?

8. With the big upgrade in terms of QB quality we'll see this year, will we see more 3 DE rush sets?

9. The OL over the course of 2018 gelled and settled into a very good one. Do we still need to carry 10 if everyone is healthy?

You show the WR breakdown as 5/5/5/6.    And then give an average of 5.75.    Incorrect.  

The correct number is....   5.25.      21 divided by 4 is 5.25.

I'll go through the rest later when I have more time...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You show the WR breakdown as 5/5/5/6.    And then give an average of 5.75.    Incorrect.  

The correct number is....   5.25.      21 divided by 4 is 5.25.

I'll go through the rest later when I have more time...

guess you didn't read the 2 posts above

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Below are a few things

Thanks for all the work attempting to elevate the knowledge and discussion for we Colts fans. You did good.
 Gotta laugh it got two quick, useless responses about 1/2 of a receiver. Oh well!
 Each year our staff will labor at final cut time regarding who to keep for that last couple of spots. Can we cut a guy and sign him back in a week or two when that next injury occurs? We could easily see one or two at final cuts that get trade.
interest.

#1 5 DB's.
   With our skill level at CB, their coverage and tackling ability, i think we will see 6 DB's, 2 S and 4 CB 10-15% of the time. With Geathers and Moore creating all kinds of Hav-oc around the line of scrimmage.  
 #2 and the need to score more.
 I predict we give up fewer points than last year. I'm 75/25 that way anyway.
    I could see TE being 3 at cut time. And stashing a good blocker on the PS.
 About the same amount of 2 TE sets. Because we ARE going to Run the Damn Ball.
 #7 Definitely going to see a fair amount of trips right with a WR left.
 Lining up Hines or Campbell in the backfield with this. Gonna be devastating IMO.

#8 Let us hope we are stout against the run on 1st down so we have a lot of passing situations. It sure would be nice to be really good at creating quick pressure up the middle. Eberflus is defintely going to rush our lighter DE's inside quite a bit. lol
  Thanks again for your effort, contemplating what will be in our Arsenal is pretty exciting.

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for all the work attempting to elevate the knowledge and discussion for we Colts fans. You did good.
 Gotta laugh it got two quick, useless responses about 1/2 of a receiver. Oh well!
 Each year our staff will labor at final cut time regarding who to keep for that last couple of spots. Can we cut a guy and sign him back in a week or two when that next injury occurs? We could easily see one or two at final cuts that get trade.
interest.

#1 5 DB's.
   With our skill level at CB, their coverage and tackling ability, i think we will see 6 DB's, 2 S and 4 CB 10-15% of the time. With Geathers and Moore creating all kinds of Hav-oc around the line of scrimmage.  
 #2 and the need to score more.
 I predict we give up fewer points than last year. I'm 75/25 that way anyway.
    I could see TE being 3 at cut time. And stashing a good blocker on the PS.
 About the same amount of 2 TE sets. Because we ARE going to Run the Damn Ball.
 #7 Definitely going to see a fair amount of trips right with a WR left.
 Lining up Hines or Campbell in the backfield with this. Gonna be devastating IMO.

#8 Let us hope we are stout against the run on 1st down so we have a lot of passing situations. It sure would be nice to be really good at creating quick pressure up the middle. Eberflus is defintely going to rush our lighter DE's inside quite a bit. lol
  Thanks again for your effort, contemplating what will be in our Arsenal is pretty exciting.

Thanks BBZ. I was trying to assess our talent, and guestimate our 53. In digging through all the data, figured I might as well type it up and throw it out there for those who enjoy getting in the dirty details. Probably too heavy for some.

I agree on the DB usage. At least vs a good portion of the teams we face. I'm also with you on hoping we can limit the opposing O on first down. iDL is my biggest concern.

While I think our D will be better this year, I think stats will be very similar or a little worse vs the pass than last year simply because of the QBs we'll face. Regardless, I think we'll see more sacks and more INTs this year!

On TEs, I agree. If Doyle is truly healthy, we only need 3. I'd go Ebron/Dolye/Cox with Hentges on the PS. With Doyle and Ebron both expiring at the end of the season, you have to believe they will try to get significant touches for Cox just in case. 

The options at WR have me giddy. If everyone stays healthy Reich has an obscene bag of weapons.