Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts biggest needs for 2020 offseason

What do you see as the Colts biggest needs going into the 2020 offseason, provided we extend our important players such as Costanzo and Ebron?

I could see a great DT as our biggest need since we have ample undersized DTs on this roster, but not really anyone who has size and also the ability to rush from the interior and stop the run.

After DT, our needs aren't really high elsewhere for the most part, so I could see Ballard pulling the trigger on a dominant RB in round 2 if Mack struggles to stay healthy this year. Imagine getting someone like Deandre Swift to run behind this OL. 

Depth could continue to be addressed at OL as well. We could use another OT that could start either spot if we ever were to suffer an injury to Costanzo or Smith. 

• 3 weeks later...

My way too early prediction:  Strong safety.  

We drafted a couple safeties on day 3.  Willis I think his name is from Michigan State might be a good special teams guy and be a decent backup but doesn't seem like he'll be a starting safety in the NFL.

Tell they are looking at converting to CB.  

I think they will bring back Castonzo and Ebron so those won't be immediate needs.  They might even bring back Doyle.   Although i would say they should look for a left tackle to take over for Castonzo in the future.  

But if you look at the offseason on the whole we never really got someone who looks like an upgrade to Geathers.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

My way too early prediction:  Strong safety.  

We drafted a couple safeties on day 3.  Willis I think his name is from Michigan State might be a good special teams guy and be a decent backup but doesn't seem like he'll be a starting safety in the NFL.

Tell they are looking at converting to CB.  

I think they will bring back Castonzo and Ebron so those won't be immediate needs.  They might even bring back Doyle.   Although i would say they should look for a left tackle to take over for Castonzo in the future.  

But if you look at the offseason on the whole we never really got someone who looks like an upgrade to Geathers.  

Well, I thought Jonathan Abrams was sitting right there if we wanted a strong safety that bad in the draft. I still think OT and a 3-technique for the middle are higher needs for this group.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nate! said:

Mmm. It’s early but I’ll say WR, OT, and maybe safety.

Depending on how this year goes we could be pretty set at WR. If Cain and Campbell have great seasons we have two guys who are going to lead us into the future. We can also resign DF for a few more years. Then you also have fountain if he makes a complete recovery.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Depending on how this year goes we could be pretty set at WR. If Cain and Campbell have great seasons we have two guys who are going to lead us into the future. We can also resign DF for a few more years. Then you also have fountain if he makes a complete recovery.

Depending, if, DF, all you needed to say that likely WR will be a need still.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Even if DF doesnt ball out having Cain and Campbell with fountain being able to come back makes it less of a need. That gives us 3 or 4 great receivers.  We may already have TY replacement in a few years.

I think it's a bit premature to call 3 players who haven't played a snap in a regular season game "great receivers."

Hopefully, somewhere in the future you can quote this post and say "see, I told you so!"

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

I think it's a bit premature to call 3 players who haven't played a snap in a regular season game "great receivers."

Hopefully, somewhere in the future you can quote this post and say "see, I told you so!"

Well I did say let’s see how this year goes in my other post. I said they could be our future. By the end of the season it might look like we won’t need a WR. Especially early.  It does also depend on what DF does and if we resign him. It could go either way.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, chad72 said:

Well, I thought Jonathan Abrams was sitting right there if we wanted a strong safety that bad in the draft. I still think OT and a 3-technique for the middle are higher needs for this group.

He was but Ballard felt like moving down and getting the second rounder next year was worth losing him.  

I'm ok with it, CB was also sort of a need and Ballard got Rock instead + a #2 next year.  Geathers is an ok stop gap until then.  But if we're looking at the 2020 draft this early, Strong Safety is the one need from 2018 that we didn't really fill.  So I would say it has to top the early list.

With the comments Ballard made about the 2020 WR class being "really really good", I think they take one of many stud WRs with one of the 2nd rounders. There's gonna be some absolute DUDES in that class. Ceedee Lamb, Viska Shenault, Jalen Rheagor, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Tee Higgins, etc etc. I'd love for us to grab a big alpha X receiver like Lamb, Higgins, or Viska. If not, the 2020 class is loaded at RB too, so perhaps a franchise RB in a class stocked with them. A lot will depend on how well the defense functions with all of the new additions. If they take that necessary step forward, then I could see them splurging a bit and really surrounding Luck with a KC Chiefs style set of weapons, cuz like it or not we're gonna have to be able to light up the scoreboard for the foreseeable future with the way the top teams are trending. 

43 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

With the comments Ballard made about the 2020 WR class being "really really good", I think they take one of many stud WRs with one of the 2nd rounders. There's gonna be some absolute DUDES in that class. Ceedee Lamb, Viska Shenault, Jalen Rheagor, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Tee Higgins, etc etc. I'd love for us to grab a big alpha X receiver like Lamb, Higgins, or Viska. If not, the 2020 class is loaded at RB too, so perhaps a franchise RB in a class stocked with them. A lot will depend on how well the defense functions with all of the new additions. If they take that necessary step forward, then I could see them splurging a bit and really surrounding Luck with a KC Chiefs style set of weapons, cuz like it or not we're gonna have to be able to light up the scoreboard for the foreseeable future with the way the top teams are trending. 

With how adamant Ballard has been with keeping a 4th back in camp, it seems he could still be looking to upgrade there. He brought in Spencer Ware even though we have 3 good young backs. Makes you wonder if he’s searching for his own Kamara, CMC, Hunt. The do it all backs who are also extra receivers. Travis Entienne?

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

With how adamant Ballard has been with keeping a 4th back in camp, it seems he could still be looking to upgrade there. He brought in Spencer Ware even though we have 3 good young backs. Makes you wonder if he’s searching for his own Kamara, CMC, Hunt. The do it all backs who are also extra receivers. Travis Entienne?

Etienne isn't really known as a receiver but he did have like 1600 yards and 26 TDs last year lol, so he's got that going for him. I'd rather have Swift if we're looking for a legit all-purpose 3-down guy. 

Still can't understand all the doubt about Mack. Had he not been injured, his average would have put him as the #6 RB in yards. The same with folks not sold on Hines as an APB who had 700+ yards his rookie season (not to mention he almost broke the Colts rookie record). 

Seems like folks won't be happy unless we have a #1 or #2 guy. Doubt Ballard would ever draft a RB in the 1st round. I could see him trading or signing a FA stud once he feels the roster is where it needs to be.

At this point, I think we're only missing short yardage / goal line back. You can get a good one of those in the 3rd-5th round.

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Etienne isn't really known as a receiver but he did have like 1600 yards and 26 TDs last year lol, so he's got that going for him. I'd rather have Swift if we're looking for a legit all-purpose 3-down guy. 

I’m aware but there were a few backs like that in college. Guys who weren’t asked to catch a lot in college but excel at it in the league. Hunt didn’t until his senior season. But he has the game changing running ability the others do. 

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Still can't understand all the doubt about Mack. Had he not been injured, his average would have put him as the #6 RB in yards. The same with folks not sold on Hines as an APB who had 700+ yards his rookie season (not to mention he almost broke the Colts rookie record). 

Seems like folks won't be happy unless we have a #1 or #2 guy. Doubt Ballard would ever draft a RB in the 1st round. I could see him trading or signing a FA stud once he feels the roster is where it needs to be.

At this point, I think we're only missing short yardage / goal line back. You can get a good one of those in the 3rd-5th round.

It’s not doubting Mack as much as it is just having the elite rushing attack. Also Mack isn’t great as a receiver. Ballard may want his own Kamara. Ballard signed Spencer Ware and probably at least had some interest in Bell. That tells me Ballard wants an elite rushing attack. Frank openly said he wants to be a top 5 rushing team. Mack is good but it seems the FO wants more.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m aware but there were a few backs like that in college. Guys who weren’t asked to catch a lot in college but excel at it in the league. Hunt didn’t until his senior season. But he has the game changing running ability the others do. 

It’s not doubting Mack as much as it is just having the elite rushing attack. Also Mack isn’t great as a receiver. Ballard may want his own Kamara. Ballard signed Spencer Ware and probably at least had some interest in Bell. That tells me Ballard wants an elite rushing attack. Frank openly said he wants to be a top 5 rushing team. Mack is good but it seems the FO wants more.

I'd agree that the FO wants to improve the rushing attack (they've said as much). The RBs that they've signed however, including S.Ware, aren't guys that are going to give you a Kamara like weapon. I don't think I've seen anything that has confirmed our interest in Bell.

In short, all teams publicly want to improve their rushing attack. Our actions (draft/FA to early camp period) would suggest we were trying to shore up short yardage or maybe a #2. Our actions later in camp, have been primarily camp bodies.

Honest question. What does elite mean? Top 10? Top 5?

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd agree that the FO wants to improve the rushing attack (they've said as much). The RBs that they've signed however, including S.Ware, aren't guys that are going to give you a Kamara like weapon. I don't think I've seen anything that has confirmed our interest in Bell.

In short, all teams publicly want to improve their rushing attack. Our actions (draft/FA to early camp period) would suggest we were trying to shore up short yardage or maybe a #2. Our actions later in camp, have been primarily camp bodies.

Honest question. What does elite mean? Top 10? Top 5?

I would guess elite means top 5 according to what Reich said. Personally I feel like it’s top 10 and If be okay with a top 10 rushing attack.

Also a quick not about Ware. The 2016 season he had 921 rush yards to go along with 32 receptions for 477 yards. That type of all purpose talent could be what Reich is looking for to have an elite rushing attack. Think of the Saints when they had Ingram and Kamara. That could be what they’re going for. It makes sense to sign a guy like Ware if you missed out on Le’Veon Bell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would guess elite means top 5 according to what Reich said. Personally I feel like it’s top 10 and If be okay with a top 10 rushing attack.

Also a quick not about Ware. The 2016 season he had 921 rush yards to go along with 32 receptions for 477 yards. That type of all purpose talent could be what Reich is looking for to have an elite rushing attack. Think of the Saints when they had Ingram and Kamara. That could be what they’re going for. It makes sense to sign a guy like Ware if you missed out on Le’Veon Bell. 

Had Mack played in all 16 games with his avg/game, he would have had 1211 yards rushing which puts him at 6th. I know it's an "if" he was healthy, but still relevant. Also, KC really didn't have an APB like Hines in 2016, so I can understand them throwing to Ware as much as they did. I think if anything, Mack just needs to improve his receiving performance. With the improved WR corp, not sure however we'll see more passing targets to Mack this year.

BTW, I would have love to have had Ware this year. He and Mack would have been a nice tandem. While I think Mack is a better every down rushers, I think Ware was a better receiving and short yardage back.

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Had Mack played in all 16 games with his avg/game, he would have had 1211 yards rushing which puts him at 6th. I know it's an "if" he was healthy, but still relevant. Also, KC really didn't have an APB like Hines in 2016, so I can understand them throwing to Ware as much as they did. I think if anything, Mack just needs to improve his receiving performance. With the improved WR corp, not sure however we'll see more passing targets to Mack this year.

BTW, I would have love to have had Ware this year. He and Mack would have been a nice tandem. While I think Mack is a better every down rushers, I think Ware was a better receiving and short yardage back.

Oh Mack really impressed me. What he did while missing those games was great. Heck even if he only played 1 more game he’s probably have gone over 1,000. But it seems the FO may another elite or at least really good RB to play behind him.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oh Mack really impressed me. What he did while missing those games was great. Heck even if he only played 1 more game he’s probably have gone over 1,000. But it seems the FO may another elite or at least really good RB to play behind him.

I really wished we would have grabbed a guy like Benny Snell in the draft. He lasted till the 4th. He'd be a great complimentary power back.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

WR would make sense too considering TY is entering a contract year and will be 31.  If this class is loaded with WR depth it makes sense to use it as a time to plan for life after TY for the 2nd half of Luck's career.  

Marlon Mack had 65 catches in 3 years at South Fla, with 28 coming his last year. 28 is like 80-90 at the NFL level. The better 3 down guys that are expected to be drafted next year, like D'Andre Swift only catch around 25 passes. So it isn't really a matter of CAN he catch the ball, it's WILL he catch the ball? They keep saying that he's a 3 down back, guess we will see this year. All I know is that I've been doing breakdowns on incoming draft classes since 2013, and the prospects coming in 2020 are the best I've seen at the WR/RB positions. It would be like combining the talent of the 2017 RB class with the 2014 WR class. It's that good, a lot of teams will be looking to capitalize on the talent regardless of need, imo. 

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

WR would make sense too considering TY is entering a contract year and will be 31.  If this class is loaded with WR depth it makes sense to use it as a time to plan for life after TY for the 2nd half of Luck's career.  

It all makes sense if you break it down. We signed Funchess to a 1 year deal, as a bridge-gap to 2020 in my estimation. Ballard knows that class is stocked. I wouldn't be at all surprised if their pick at 32 goes for a WR, similar to NE taking Nkeal this year. If not, the pick from the Redskins will in all likelihood have them picking again in the 30s, so they could pull the trigger there. Jeudy isn't getting out of the Top 10, probably not Top 5, he's ridiculously good, one of the best I've ever scouted. A lot of mocks have Laviska Shenault going Top 10 as well, Lamb is mocked in the 1st in basically all of them, with Rheagor and Ruggs going 1st in a few too. I think there will be 4-5 WRs taken bare minimum, with Swift, Etienne, and Taylor being taken at RB. Class is silly good at WR/RB. We had 3 guys (RB/WR) taken in the first this year, I'm thinking it's 3x that many in 2020.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

A lot of things can happen this year that might impact our need. Cain could turn out to be a great X. Campbell might be the real deal. I still think Campbell and TY could flip in a couple years. TY would be crazy good at slot for several more years even if he is a few ticks slower. 

I hate that Fountain got hurt. He was looking so good and could have fit in at Z as well, if not slot or even X. 

Even if we have a need, I don't see Ballard taking one in the first two picks. I'd love him to grab one with the 2nd, 2nd round pick though.

1.We need to draft costanza replacement.  2. We need DT/NT size n toughness. I think Stewart is ready too step up! 3. The 2020 draft has WR of plenty in 1st rd and RB will strong group get one with one of our 2nd rd pics. Side note I think we will be ok with Brisset n Kelly. I think Kelly will over take him as #1 qb this season. Go Colts !!!