Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting Outside CB

Defjamz26

The Vacant Starting CB Spot  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins the other outside starting CB position?

• Quincy Wilson
    • Rock Ya-Sin
    • Jalen Collins
    • Other

Knock on wood, i believe we are in great shape at corner.
In two CB sets i bet Moore doesn't come of the field often.
 When he is in the slot the idea we have all 3 of those guys to pick from is just amazing. When CB solidifies a position - ba boom.
I see more 6 DB sets coming this season.

• Like 1

this is an interesting camp battle, ya-sin probably has the most upside.  its strange that hes older than wilson 

wilson was drafted very young for some reason, and then proceeded to not do much for about a year and half.  he looked decent late last year, but ya sin might be better already

• Like 1

Honestly, this group is by far one of the deepest on the team and I look for the DB's to be rotated A LOT, like the DLine has and will be, just keep to keep them fresh throughout the game and year. Being a "starter" may not mean much, when after the game is over, they all finished with similar snap counts. I'm totally good with that approach. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Honestly, this group is by far one of the deepest on the team and I look for the DB's to be rotated A LOT, like the DLine has and will be, just keep to keep them fresh throughout the game and year. Being a "starter" may not mean much, when after the game is over, they all finished with similar snap counts. I'm totally good with that approach. 

I think you are spot on. If we truly have five starters at CB it allows us to keep people fresh in games.

Desir backed by Collins

Wilson until we go dime and slides inside, then Rock on the outside and ST Gunner

Moore as the Nickel

Hairston can play slot and boundary and ST Gunner

Tell learning CB but plays safety and ST Gunner

Do they trade Hairston and develop Tell on the 53? Or keep Hairston and try to put Tell on the PS to develop?

That is good depth and all but Rock and Tell has shown it at the NFL level.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Desir backed by Collins

Wilson until we go dime and slides inside, then Rock on the outside and ST Gunner

Moore as the Nickel

Hairston can play slot and boundary and ST Gunner

Tell learning CB but plays safety and ST Gunner

Do they trade Hairston and develop Tell on the 53? Or keep Hairston and try to put Tell on the PS to develop?

That is good depth and all but Rock and Tell has shown it at the NFL level.

I think the issue with Hairston is that he’s much better in press man than zone. He was great in Pagano’s system but disappeared and got beat out by Moore in Eberflus’ scheme. I think he’s worth trading for the capital. I’d send him back to play with Pagano in Chicago for a 4th rounder.

• Like 3

Atm I think desire CB1, Moore CB2 in base
Nickle: Desire CB1, Wilson CB2, Moore CB3

Dime: Desire CB1, Wilson CB2, Rock CB3, Moore CB4

Roles: Desire is probably going to get a lot of 1v1 with the #1 WR, while Moore's job is going to be to simply remove an asset as a target. This frees up the FS and SS to role coverages to Wilson and Rock. Think of it like a NE Defense: You cover the #1 WR with your best DB. Eliminate #2 option with double coverage, get the best matchups across the board and go from there

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This sounds like they are using Odum more as a safety or LB then a outside corner.

Odum has always been a safety in our system.

Now in college played that Rover LB position and blitzed, covered TE's and RB's a lot - similar to how Geathers was used last year.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think the issue with Hairston is that he’s much better in press man than zone. He was great in Pagano’s system but disappeared and got beat out by Moore in Eberflus’ scheme. I think he’s worth trading for the capital. I’d send him back to play with Pagano in Chicago for a 4th rounder.

Having Hairston is an asset though. Instead of the Colts being in Zone coverage 77% and Man coverage 23% of the time they could have Hairston on the field for Man coverage 40% and utilize other CBs to play Zone 60%. It would balance our Defense 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Hairston, who I like, was drafted in the 5th round.

He had a decent rookie season.   

But he had a very poor second season.   It may have been due to injury, but it was still poor. 

Odds are if we trade him, we’d get a 7...  maybe, MAYBE a 6 if some team gets desperate.    But a 4 has zero chance of happening.    Not sure where this came from?    Sorry.

From what i saw at 3 days of camp its going to be hard to keep Ya-Sin off the field. I kmow its just practice but even as a rookie he jumps out at you.  He looks bigger, faster, more athletic, more physical than anyone we have on the roster right now including Desir. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

From what i saw at 3 days of camp its going to be hard to keep Ya-Sin off the field. I kmow its just practice but even as a rookie he jumps out at you.  He looks bigger, faster, more athletic, more physical than anyone we have on the roster right now including Desir. 

he's definitely the most ripped. 

i think he's starting at least by mid season. 

he's going to be really fun to watch.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, GoColts00 said:

Having Hairston is an asset though. Instead of the Colts being in Zone coverage 77% and Man coverage 23% of the time they could have Hairston on the field for Man coverage 40% and utilize other CBs to play Zone 60%. It would balance our Defense 

That’s true. He does have value still I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Today they rolled out a package of 6 dB. It had Desir, Moore, Rock, Geathers, hooker with Wilson covering the tight end. We will use everyone.

We've always had dime with 6 DBS, this is just a different variation (3-2-6 vs 4-1-6). Guessing the change is due to several factors, but probably 1) they don't want to take Leonard off the field like they did in dime last year, 2) they are more comfortable with the DL athleticism, and 3) they don't want to get abused by TEs.

Nickel (4-2-5) is really our true "base" defense that we're in most often, and we use a little dime (which might increase this year while facing better QBs) as well as some traditional "base" 4-3-4 with the SAM. What we use, and how much we use it will depend a lot on who we are playing, and the down and distance we're facing. 

Here's a vid from early last year describing Flus's D. It's does a decent job of basic Xs and Os in the 3 different sets.

https://www.colts.com/video/football-101-4-3-scheme-breakdown-with-matt-eberflus

• Like 1