Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Defjamz26

Starting Outside CB

The Vacant Starting CB Spot  

80 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you think wins the other outside starting CB position?

    • Quincy Wilson
      31
    • Rock Ya-Sin
      36
    • Jalen Collins
      13
    • Other
      2


Recommended Posts

Seeing as Desir has locked up one spot on the outside and Moore has the slot, who do you think gets the other outside CB spot?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quincy, who I still really like, but I won't be surprised if that changes by mid season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knock on wood, i believe we are in great shape at corner.
In two CB sets i bet Moore doesn't come of the field often.
 When he is in the slot the idea we have all 3 of those guys to pick from is just amazing. When CB solidifies a position - ba boom.
I see more 6 DB sets coming this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock had another interception today by a bad throw from Brissett. If he keeps that up and is able to create turnovers he might just takr Wilson’s slot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is an interesting camp battle, ya-sin probably has the most upside.  its strange that hes older than wilson 

 

wilson was drafted very young for some reason, and then proceeded to not do much for about a year and half.  he looked decent late last year, but ya sin might be better already

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the question is who starts on week 1, then I would guess Wilson. However by the end of the season I think it will be Rock.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, this group is by far one of the deepest on the team and I look for the DB's to be rotated A LOT, like the DLine has and will be, just keep to keep them fresh throughout the game and year. Being a "starter" may not mean much, when after the game is over, they all finished with similar snap counts. I'm totally good with that approach. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Honestly, this group is by far one of the deepest on the team and I look for the DB's to be rotated A LOT, like the DLine has and will be, just keep to keep them fresh throughout the game and year. Being a "starter" may not mean much, when after the game is over, they all finished with similar snap counts. I'm totally good with that approach. 

I think you are spot on. If we truly have five starters at CB it allows us to keep people fresh in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't  think it matters with five good cbs 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I don't  think it matters with five good cbs 

I think we’re going to like what we see with the defense this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Desir backed by Collins

 

Wilson until we go dime and slides inside, then Rock on the outside and ST Gunner

 

Moore as the Nickel

 

Hairston can play slot and boundary and ST Gunner

 

Tell learning CB but plays safety and ST Gunner

 

Do they trade Hairston and develop Tell on the 53? Or keep Hairston and try to put Tell on the PS to develop?

 

That is good depth and all but Rock and Tell has shown it at the NFL level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Desir backed by Collins

 

Wilson until we go dime and slides inside, then Rock on the outside and ST Gunner

 

Moore as the Nickel

 

Hairston can play slot and boundary and ST Gunner

 

Tell learning CB but plays safety and ST Gunner

 

Do they trade Hairston and develop Tell on the 53? Or keep Hairston and try to put Tell on the PS to develop?

 

That is good depth and all but Rock and Tell has shown it at the NFL level.

I think the issue with Hairston is that he’s much better in press man than zone. He was great in Pagano’s system but disappeared and got beat out by Moore in Eberflus’ scheme. I think he’s worth trading for the capital. I’d send him back to play with Pagano in Chicago for a 4th rounder.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atm I think desire CB1, Moore CB2 in base
Nickle: Desire CB1, Wilson CB2, Moore CB3

Dime: Desire CB1, Wilson CB2, Rock CB3, Moore CB4

 

Roles: Desire is probably going to get a lot of 1v1 with the #1 WR, while Moore's job is going to be to simply remove an asset as a target. This frees up the FS and SS to role coverages to Wilson and Rock. Think of it like a NE Defense: You cover the #1 WR with your best DB. Eliminate #2 option with double coverage, get the best matchups across the board and go from there

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they are using Wilson in a way to cover TE and blitzing packages. I bet rock will play a lot on the outside.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like they are using Odum more as a safety or LB then a outside corner.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This sounds like they are using Odum more as a safety or LB then a outside corner.

 

 

 

Odum has always been a safety in our system.

 

Now in college played that Rover LB position and blitzed, covered TE's and RB's a lot - similar to how Geathers was used last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Odum has always been a safety in our system.

 

Now in college played that Rover LB position and blitzed, covered TE's and RB's a lot - similar to how Geathers was used last year.

Sorry I meant Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sorry I meant Wilson.

Funny, I guess I should have read the part where it said Wilson too! Oops.

 

Regardless, Wilson did play this Geathers role when he was hurt last year too!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think the issue with Hairston is that he’s much better in press man than zone. He was great in Pagano’s system but disappeared and got beat out by Moore in Eberflus’ scheme. I think he’s worth trading for the capital. I’d send him back to play with Pagano in Chicago for a 4th rounder.

Having Hairston is an asset though. Instead of the Colts being in Zone coverage 77% and Man coverage 23% of the time they could have Hairston on the field for Man coverage 40% and utilize other CBs to play Zone 60%. It would balance our Defense 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think the issue with Hairston is that he’s much better in press man than zone. He was great in Pagano’s system but disappeared and got beat out by Moore in Eberflus’ scheme. I think he’s worth trading for the capital. I’d send him back to play with Pagano in Chicago for a 4th rounder.

Hairston, who I like, was drafted in the 5th round.

 

He had a decent rookie season.   

 

But he had a very poor second season.   It may have been due to injury, but it was still poor. 

 

Odds are if we trade him, we’d get a 7...  maybe, MAYBE a 6 if some team gets desperate.    But a 4 has zero chance of happening.    Not sure where this came from?    Sorry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DBs get knicked

 

The odds are, we are going to playing some subs this year..... lets hope for health

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i saw at 3 days of camp its going to be hard to keep Ya-Sin off the field. I kmow its just practice but even as a rookie he jumps out at you.  He looks bigger, faster, more athletic, more physical than anyone we have on the roster right now including Desir. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

From what i saw at 3 days of camp its going to be hard to keep Ya-Sin off the field. I kmow its just practice but even as a rookie he jumps out at you.  He looks bigger, faster, more athletic, more physical than anyone we have on the roster right now including Desir. 

he's definitely the most ripped. 

i think he's starting at least by mid season. 

he's going to be really fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when we see him in preseason games it will give us a better idea of how good he is right now. You can’t deny the INT he has gotten. He has a knack of being around the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, GoColts00 said:

Having Hairston is an asset though. Instead of the Colts being in Zone coverage 77% and Man coverage 23% of the time they could have Hairston on the field for Man coverage 40% and utilize other CBs to play Zone 60%. It would balance our Defense 

That’s true. He does have value still I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today they rolled out a package of 6 dB. It had Desir, Moore, Rock, Geathers, hooker with Wilson covering the tight end. We will use everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Today they rolled out a package of 6 dB. It had Desir, Moore, Rock, Geathers, hooker with Wilson covering the tight end. We will use everyone.

We've always had dime with 6 DBS, this is just a different variation (3-2-6 vs 4-1-6). Guessing the change is due to several factors, but probably 1) they don't want to take Leonard off the field like they did in dime last year, 2) they are more comfortable with the DL athleticism, and 3) they don't want to get abused by TEs.

 

 Nickel (4-2-5) is really our true "base" defense that we're in most often, and we use a little dime (which might increase this year while facing better QBs) as well as some traditional "base" 4-3-4 with the SAM. What we use, and how much we use it will depend a lot on who we are playing, and the down and distance we're facing. 

 

Here's a vid from early last year describing Flus's D. It's does a decent job of basic Xs and Os in the 3 different sets.

https://www.colts.com/video/football-101-4-3-scheme-breakdown-with-matt-eberflus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone pinch me I must be dreaming. The Colts could have 

5 starter quality cornerbacks on the same team in the same 

year. Desir, Moore, Rock, Wilson and Collins. :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • He's not even near the top for big's in the league let alone player(s). A couple blocks/g don't equate to being a "good" defensive player just like JB completing a few 20+ yard passes doesn't make him a "good" passer. However, you'll make excuses for one but trash the other..  
    • If it's on the radar, it's a "like to have", but I think CB, LB, WR, and DL are all "need to haves".  They're giving up the 4th most points in the league (28ish), and would be *s if they ignored the D early. If they think they can make some big FA move to correct things, OK, but they are a lopsided team, and the O (who is lacking really only WRs) is much farther along than the D.
    • It's a tough question and really depends on several things.   As far as JB is concerned, if he wanted to be traded, I'd grant that request. If he was fine with being a backup, I'd be more than happy to keep him. The money really isn't an issue for us at this point.   Hoyer, I said it when we picked him up, he's bad..... I'd cut him regardless of what we do with JB or Kelly. If he's there to teach JB trade craft, or how to prepare for certain Ds, he's failing big time... He's certainly not fulfilling the other side of the coin (on field performance).   Kelly, that's a tougher question. If we draft a QB that needs a mentor, not sure Kelly is the backup to keep. Honestly we could simply higher an assistant who is also an X-QB to provide mentoring, so not sure that's a big issue anyway. If Kelly has potential and the staff believes he can keep his head on straight, I'd say keep him. If Kelly is only here because Reich is doing Jim a favor, or if he's *, or if he's still drinking and acting a fool, I'd cut him and tell Jim we've done all we can lol.
    • Made the playoffs, but lost in the first round. Still bummed about it because my team just got killed with injuries at the worst time. I lost both Connor and Mack and I unfortunately started the jags d vs the titans
    • I have the exact same people in my first three picks of my mock! After that, I'm looking at: Calvin Throckmorton, T, Oregon Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue and I don't think we should stay out of the defensive back market just yet.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...