Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TC day 6

CR91

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Anybody notice that name EJ Speed keeps showing up?  I like it!

I love Matthew Adams, but that would be real cool if EJ could get the

spot from him. We'd have nice size at all 3 LB spots.

Well ej speed getting  up to speed fast lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Pascal grew on me towards the end of the season. I’d honestly take him over Chester Rodgers if it came down to it.

Need Rogers for special teams to return kicks. By far our best in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Anybody notice that name EJ Speed keeps showing up?  I like it!

I love Matthew Adams, but that would be real cool if EJ could get the

spot from him. We'd have nice size at all 3 LB spots.

We were really exploitable with Adams playing last season. I have no doubt he will be better this season, but he just isn't fast enough.
 Speed is kinda thin at 6'4". We can just hope he can get good in a hurry at playing zone and also at chasing reveivers. When he gets up to his job, he is going to be disruptive with his length and quickness.

I am a Funchess skeptic.  He was well covered and then Desir just missed the swipe after using bad technique and turning his hips the wrong way.  I am not sold on DF's ability to create separation. 

Whoever threw that did a great job BTW.

On the other hand the big body helped shield there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I am a Funchess skeptic.  He was well covered and then Desir just missed the swipe after using bad technique and turning his hips the wrong way.  I am not sold on DF's ability to create separation. 

Funchess was not brought in to really create much seperation. He is a guy like Ebron that will use his size. Here is Kevin Bowen’s update and he said DF had his best day in camp so far. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funchess was not brought in to really create much seperation. He is a guy like Ebron that will use his size. Here is Kevin Bowen’s update and he said DF had his best day in camp so far. 

Ebron creates a lot of separation as a TE v LBs and safeties man.  Funchess has to beat CBS.

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I viewed it much differently.  He got the initial separation he needed and the throw was about an entire century late, allowing the missed swipe to even happen in the first place.

In the NFL, you rarely get readily apparent "visual" separation in man-to-man situations.

• Like 2

Hey ya'll so I never post here, but actually went to Tarleton State with EJ Speed. First of all, it surprised the heck out of me when he was drafted as a LB. From my recollection, he played WR most my time there. 

Tried his hand in basketball, but that didn't work out (our basketball team is a lot better than our football team) I graduated last May so this last season is when the new coaches may have transitioned him to LB. Guy is a legit 6'4'', has a lean WR frame, which still surprises me that hes playing LB in the NFL. Humble and quiet guy in class. Wish him the best and hope that he does pan out for us. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, C0lts088 said:

Hey ya'll so I never post here, but actually went to Tarleton State with EJ Speed. First of all, it surprised the heck out of me when he was drafted as a LB. From my recollection, he played WR most my time there. 

Awesome. I can't wait to see him in preseason games.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

First time I saw it I thought it was a PI.  After watching it again, it was just great coverage.

BTW, Reich said they had the refs making calls more strict than in the games.  They’re trying to be more disciplined, etc.  

• Like 1

Gosh, it’s gonna be hard to cut this WR corps down to 5 or 6.  Fountain and Hogan coming in hot today.  Cain started very well, but a really bad day today.  Pascal running hot and cold.   Rogers has been quiet, but probably the best return man.  Johnson has had his moments.   Even Veasey and Dulin have looked pretty good.   Gonna be a hard call.   CB corps won’t be much easier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

Gosh, it’s gonna be hard to cut this WR corps down to 5 or 6.  Fountain and Hogan coming in hot today.  Cain started very well, but a really bad day today.  Pascal running hot and cold.   Rogers has been quiet, but probably the best return man.  Johnson has had his moments.   Even Veasey and Dulin have looked pretty good.   Gonna be a hard call.   CB corps won’t be much easier.

Yeah that 5th spot or even if we keep six is going to be hard. Cain had a bad day today but has looked good. I can imagine he will have some rust to shake off. So many for one or two spots. Once we see them in live action in might be a easier decision.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Pascal grew on me towards the end of the season. I’d honestly take him over Chester Rodgers if it came down to it.

they play two different positions, and not really competing with each other.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Spencer ware might lose his job.

Ware is much more well rounded. Not saying Ford isn't a good power back, but he's not really an every down back. I'd still prefer Ware who can do a decent job at both. D's would have an easier time calling schemes with Ford in the game IMO.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is good news.

I'd love to see both Turay and Banogu attached at the hip with Mathis anytime they are not taking reps.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I called it (about SAM) after the draft. Would much rather see Okereke or Speed at SAM than Banogu. Speed might have a lower floor than Okereke, but IMO, he has a higher ceiling.

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

EJ  Speed may be leaping his draft position and over taking Okareke's

position on the depth chart. 

I don't see Speed as a good back up for Walker at MLB, but I think he has better athleticism thank Okereke to play either outside position (SAM or WILL).

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Funch has never been a separation guy (he was ranked 91st in separation last year). He's a big body. That's why he's struggled on many X routes, but excelled at the shorter slot routes.

5 hours ago, C0lts088 said:

Tried his hand in basketball, but that didn't work out (our basketball team is a lot better than our football team) I graduated last May so this last season is when the new coaches may have transitioned him to LB. Guy is a legit 6'4'', has a lean WR frame, which still surprises me that hes playing LB in the NFL. Humble and quiet guy in class. Wish him the best and hope that he does pan out for us. 

From what I read, he was recruited to play QB, converted to WR, but then converted to LB after his redshirt year. All his stats that I saw were on D. Here's his university bio. I'd not that 2018 was not included but he had 106 Ts.

Junior (2017):
Played in five games during an injury-plagued junior season … Made 41 tackles, including 24 solo … Had 8.5 tackles for a loss … Had one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries, including one returned for a touchdown against Angelo State on Sept. 16 … Had a season-high 12 tackles in the season opener against Delta State on Sept. 2.

Sophomore (2016):
National leader in Forced Fumbles with 5 and an average of 0.5 forced fumbles per game … Second-team All-LSC … Played in 11 games and recorded 68 total tackles, which was tied for third-most on the team … Had 13.0 TFLs, including 6.0 sacks … Had his first career interception against Oklahoma Panhandle State on Oct. 29 … Forced a career high three forced fumbles at Eastern New Mexico on Oct. 15 … Twice had double figure tackles, boasting a career high 11 against Southwest Baptist and Midwestern State.

Medical Redshirt Freshman (2015):
Made his collegiate debut on Sept. 26 against Midwestern State and played in seven total games as a sophomore … Totaled 16 tackles, including a season-high five stops against Texas A&M-Commerce on Oct. 3 … Had two tackles for a loss.

Redshirt Freshman (2014):
Missed the entire season due to injury and received a medical redshirt… Converted from wide receiver to defensive end during the spring.

Freshman (2013):
Redshirted as a true freshman… Converted to wide receiver after playing quarterback in high school.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does it matter about where wide receivers play on the field when we have Funch and Ebron who are going to take a lot of snaps in the slot. Not sure it will come down to whether a slot guy stays or not. Do we really need a back up slot I guess is what I am saying.

TE and slot alignments and routes are very similar, to an extent. Desired outcomes however can be very different. TE and "big" or "bully" slot are typically short to medium yardage tosses to big bodied guys, without a lot of separation, and with not much YAC expected. Traditional slot however is a smaller/faster type WR who gets more separation and desires more YAC.

When Funch is playing slot, he'll be more or less another TE. Not much separation, not much YAC. When Rogers or Campbell plays slot, the QB is looking for more separation, and the play is designed for more YAC.

Last year, Rogers took 80+% of his snaps from slot. Pascal and Inman took about 30% of their snaps from slot, and was typically short yardage situations.

As far as Rogers is concerned, I wouldn't call him just a back up slot (to Campbell). First of all, there has been a ton of chatter about Campbell playing not just slot, but outside as well. IMO, when he plays outside, it will not be in short yardage situations (when a big/bully slot is mostly used), so Rogers would likely be the slot while PC is wide. Also, Rogers is the only player that backed up TY last year at Z. He was also a returner. Making PC the primary slot, back up to TY, and returner is frankly a big ask for a rookie. I guess what I'm saying, is if you don't have Rogers, you'll be limited where Campbell can play in certain down/and distance scenarios, while also potentially over burdening him his first year.

Rogers could very well be cut, but it's not a "safe" move at all for the team. Sure he's not flashing, but he does a lot, and has been pretty reliable doing it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That makes sense.

I'd love to see PC do well and be able to play all 3 spots. Cain could do that (play all 3) as well if healthy. Having both of those guys performing well will make WR uber stable and allow for so much flexibility in terms of back ups. Until then, I'd just prefer to have a 3 guys who can play both traditional/speed slot and Z. 

Having Cain, PC, TY, and Funch healthy and performing would be an embarrassment of riches in terms of flexibility. Very scary.  

17 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

TE and slot alignments and routes are very similar, to an extent. Desired outcomes however can be very different. TE and "big" or "bully" slot are typically short to medium yardage tosses to big bodied guys, without a lot of separation, and with not much YAC expected. Traditional slot however is a smaller/faster type WR who gets more separation and desires more YAC.

When Funch is playing slot, he'll be more or less another TE. Not much separation, not much YAC. When Rogers or Campbell plays slot, the QB is looking for more separation, and the play is designed for more YAC.

Last year, Rogers took 80+% of his snaps from slot. Pascal and Inman took about 30% of their snaps from slot, and was typically short yardage situations.

As far as Rogers is concerned, I wouldn't call him just a back up slot (to Campbell). First of all, there has been a ton of chatter about Campbell playing not just slot, but outside as well. IMO, when he plays outside, it will not be in short yardage situations (when a big/bully slot is mostly used), so Rogers would likely be the slot while PC is wide. Also, Rogers is the only player that backed up TY last year at Z. He was also a returner. Making PC the primary slot, back up to TY, and returner is frankly a big ask for a rookie. I guess what I'm saying, is if you don't have Rogers, you'll be limited where Campbell can play in certain down/and distance scenarios, while also potentially over burdening him his first year.

Rogers could very well be cut, but it's not a "safe" move at all for the team. Sure he's not flashing, but he does a lot, and has been pretty reliable doing it.

Love what you said about Chester Rogers. I don’t know what will unfold during roster cuts. I just feel like you this team needs Rogers to stick around. However if Chris Ballard and the coach feel it would be best to let him go, they have a plan in place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Love what you said about Chester Rogers. I don’t know what will unfold during roster cuts. I just feel like you this team needs Rogers to stick around. However if Chris Ballard and the coach feel it would be best to let him go, they have a plan in place. 

I agree that they will have a plan if they do give him the boot. I'm honestly not a huge Chester fan. I just know he did a lot more last year than people give him credit for. I'd love for the talent to increase across the board so much that he's the odd man out. I just think there's a lot of risk in parting with him this year. Next year when we have answers around PC and DC as WR, as well as solid returners, all if fair game.

8 hours ago, a06cc said:

I have been a fan of the feisty Rogers since his rookie year when he out-played our 1st round pick.  He just seems to go about his business of over-achieving and surprising us every year when he is "still here."  I know we could do "better", but I am really pulling for the guy.  He's one of my favorites.  I love underdogs.

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I have been a fan of the feisty Rogers since his rookie year when he out-played our 1st round pick.  He just seems to go about his business of over-achieving and surprising us every year when he is "still here."  I know we could do "better", but I am really pulling for the guy.  He's one of my favorites.  I love underdogs.

Rogers went from 284 to 485 receiving yards from 2017 to 2018. Also improved return yards from 80 to 215. 700+ all purpose yards. While not flashy, that's pretty good improvement. And he was absolutely the most reliable WR last year after TY. His catch % was 74% in the regular season, and 82% in the playoffs.