Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Legend_Luck

Any News on Tell?

I haven't heard anything about the guy since he was drafted and the Colts were moving him to corner. Any news on him during camp?

He is behind Pierre Desir, Kenny Moore, Rock Ya-Sin, Quincy Wilson, and Jalen Collins in terms of the corner rotation. I believe I read he had an interception a day or two ago in practice. 

I expect him to start out on special teams. 

I heard he is also working as a gunner on special teams.

7 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Any news on Okereke? 

Haven't heard much on Okereke I expecting him to start the season behind Walker on the depth chart.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DarkSuperman87 said:

I haven't heard anything about the guy since he was drafted and the Colts were moving him to corner. Any news on him during camp?

He's a 5th round pick that's buried on the depth chart in one of the deeper position groups that the Colts have, so news on him will probably be somewhat minimal. I did see something saying he was doing well at gunner, but nothing about his reps on defense.

It’s probably best to just think of Tell as a special teams player right now. On top of being a rookie, he’s going through a position switch at a position that’s actually pretty crowded. I wouldn’t expect to hear any noteworthy buzz about him at CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

I heard he is also working as a gunner on special teams.

That's his only (slim) hope.  Other than someone getting injured, his chances of making the team as the 6th corner come down to him beating our Milton as a ST stud.

I won't be surprised to see Hairston traded.  Someone suggested he may go to the Bears because of the Pagano connection.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That's his only (slim) hope.  Other than someone getting injured, his chances of making the team as the 6th corner come down to him beating our Milton as a ST stud.

I won't be surprised to see Hairston traded.  Someone suggested he may go to the Bears because of the Pagano connection.

Tell is very versatile and very athletic.  I think he's got a very good shot to make this team, especially if they think he can make the transition to CB in a year or two.  He's a more natural fit to fill in at S than many of our other CBs who will be fighting for the last spot or 2 (like Hairston, Collins, and Milton).

I also won't be shocked if we trade Hairston for a late round pick, he's proved he can play in this league... but we seem to be pretty deep at this position right now.  I like Tell due to his versatility, and think he's got more than a 'slim' hope to wind up on our 53.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Tell is very versatile and very athletic.  I think he's got a very good shot to make this team, especially if they think he can make the transition to CB in a year or two.  He's a more natural fit to fill in at S than many of our other CBs who will be fighting for the last spot or 2 (like Hairston, Collins, and Milton).

I also won't be shocked if we trade Hairston for a late round pick, he's proved he can play in this league... but we seem to be pretty deep at this position right now.  I like Tell due to his versatility, and think he's got more than a 'slim' hope to wind up on our 53.

You could be right, but remember, he's transitioning from S.  We think the first four are set, Collins is looking good, Hairston has experience and Milton is a ST star.  That # 6 (if they carry 6) is mainly going to be a ST guy so he has to beat out the last two I mentioned.

Competition is a great thing.  I think he's destined for the PS, but if he makes the team that means he's better than at least two guys who have experience.  I still say 'slim chance' but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You could be right, but remember, he's transitioning from S.  We think the first four are set, Collins is looking good, Hairston has experience and Milton is a ST star.  That # 6 (if they carry 6) is mainly going to be a ST guy so he has to beat out the last two I mentioned.

Competition is a great thing.  I think he's destined for the PS, but if he makes the team that means he's better than at least two guys who have experience.  I still say 'slim chance' but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Yes, ST is going to be what separates the last 2 guys apart.  We've got competition at S, too with Hooker and Geathers probably being starters, Odum looking good, Farley returning, and the additions of Khari Willis and Derrick Kindred.

We kept 11 DB's total on our final roster last year (5 S, 6 CBs).  Ballard often talks about how much he likes the versatility of Wilson (and he said this about Tell after drafting him).  We'll see how health shakes out throughout training camp and if we make any moves... but with Wilson and Tell (and possibly Moore II) likely being able to transition all right to S, I wouldn't be shocked to see 7 CBs and 4 S on our opening day roster.

My assumption is Hooker and Geathers (barring injury) are basically locks.  They seem very high on Willis and traded up to get him, so I'd be shocked to see him get the ax.  It seems like Odum is the logical 4th lock for S now, but Farley was a good player for us before he got hurt and Kindred has a bit of starting experience in the NFL.

You're absolutely right, it'll come down to who is willing to play and thrive on STs to see who makes the final roster.  I just hope we stay healthy across the board and keep whoever wins the training camp/pre-season battles around.

I really liked Ballard's quote after the draft when he said something along the lines of 'you know you're doing it right when 10 guys you have to cut wind up playing on Sundays for other teams.'  -- I don't think we're at 10 guys, yet... but I imagine at least 3 of the DBs we cut will get picked up and won't be shocked to see some guys at WR, OL, LB, RB get picked up by other teams as well.... Good problem to have.

• Like 1

Both Rock and Tell have been working at gunner. If either one or both are equal to the task then Milton likely gets released because the one thing he has proven is that he can't cover an NFL receiver. 

Tell, because of his transition, still offers coverage at safety (lets say due to injury) while still working as a gunner and learning the nuances of Corner. He offers too much to be subjected to waivers at cut down day in my opinion.

Wilson

Moore

Desir

Collins

Rock

Hairston

Tell

Hooker

Odum

Willis

One of Geathers, Farley, Kindred

If there is a trade of, lets say Hairston, then they may keep two that safety group?

Ultimately, I think Odum starts and plays the deep half and Willis takes over the dime backer spot - unless Geathers finds the fountain of good fortune and stays injury free all year!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Both Rock and Tell have been working at gunner. If either one or both are equal to the task then Milton likely gets released because the one thing he has proven is that he can't cover an NFL receiver. 

Tell, because of his transition, still offers coverage at safety (lets say due to injury) while still working as a gunner and learning the nuances of Corner. He offers too much to be subjected to waivers at cut down day in my opinion.

Wilson

Moore

Desir

Collins

Rock

Hairston

Tell

Hooker

Odum

Willis

One of Geathers, Farley, Kindred

If there is a trade of, lets say Hairston, then they may keep two that safety group?

Ultimately, I think Odum starts and plays the deep half and Willis takes over the dime backer spot - unless Geathers finds the fountain of good fortune and stays injury free all year!

It's clear Ballard really likes Geathers and he was a captain last year.  When he's on the field, he can play NFL-caliber football (though, I do think Odum's better in coverage).  Geathers is basically on a 'prove-it' deal, and I think what he has to prove is that he can stay healthy.  If he does stay healthy, I find it hard to believe they'd cut him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

It's clear Ballard really likes Geathers and he was a captain last year.  When he's on the field, he can play NFL-caliber football (though, I do think Odum's better in coverage).  Geathers is basically on a 'prove-it' deal, and I think what he has to prove is that he can stay healthy.  If he does stay healthy, I find it hard to believe they'd cut him.

Farley and kindred probably  get cut or traded

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I was listening to the Locked on Colts podcast this morning on my way into work.  They've been at the practices and were talking about how guys looked. 

Apparently Tell isn't showing much at CB but they said he's outstanding on STs as a gunner. That was where Milton excelled, but they said Tell was the best one out there.

So, you could be right, he may make the team based on his ST ability and his future potential as a long CB.  It's early, but if he helps a very good ST squad improve, it's a win.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Best ability is availability.....I alluded to that fact that Odum/Willis will man those spots if he doesn't stay healthy.

• Like 1

Going to get harder and harder to make the 53 with all of the picks and talent accumulation Ballard has done.  Good news for Colts fans.

After Kenny Moore, isn't Hairston our nickel back up? Or is it Wilson they are trying out there?

Wilson is an enigma, he has the physical stature of an outside CB, run support of a nickel back but doesn't have fluid hips to move underneath, IMO and is more useful outside. I am curious to see if he ever becomes starter.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

After Kenny Moore, isn't Hairston our nickel back up? Or is it Wilson they are trying out there?

Wilson is an enigma, he has the physical stature of an outside CB, run support of a nickel back but doesn't have fluid hips to move underneath, IMO and is more useful outside. I am curious to see if he ever becomes starter.

Yes it’s Hairston. That is why he might have the edge over Collins.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sounds like he's down to 192 lbs.  He was 216 in rookie training camp and I think about 205 last year... I imagine that'll help his quickness some.

17 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Odum hasn't shown he is good at anything. He just has athletic skills.
He did a lot of iffy stuff last season also.