Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One handed catches

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Between Ebron, Funchess, and Cox predictions on one handed catches this year. DF made one today also.

A knock on Ebron and Funchess has been dropping passes in the past.  I don't mind the occasional 1 handed snag, but I'd rather see the guys focusing on fundamentals and just making sure they catch the ball.  While they look nice on the highlight reel, I think OBJ's catch got a lot of guys (including OBJ) more focused on making SportsCenter Top 10 rather than playing fundamental football and winning games without getting the huge personal accolades.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

A knock on Ebron and Funchess has been dropping passes in the past.  I don't mind the occasional 1 handed snag, but I'd rather see the guys focusing on fundamentals and just making sure they catch the ball.  While they look nice on the highlight reel, I think OBJ's catch got a lot of guys (including OBJ) more focused on making SportsCenter Top 10 rather than playing fundamental football and winning games without getting the huge personal accolades.  

You catch the ball where the QB throws it.
Andrew is just middle of the pack with accuracy.

30 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Seriously?  So, you're saying there are about 15 QBs more accurate than him?

What's your supporting information?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Seriously?  So, you're saying there are about 15 QBs more accurate than him?

What's your supporting information?

Just a stat i read recently showing he was 16th last season throwing into tight windows.
 A stat that didn't surprise me after watching him all these years. His completion stats were his best last year, thanks to all the dinking and dunking we did going 1-5. 
 We know he makes a lot of great throws. I just want him to get better at making better quick decisions, with better ball placement with great touch in the short to medium game. He is average at it. When and if he gets there we will be SB bound someday.

I didn't save the article but if i find it i will gladly share. 

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just a stat i read recently showing he was 16th last season throwing into tight windows.
 A stat that didn't surprise me after watching him all these years. His completion stats were his best last year, thanks to all the dinking and dunking we did going 1-5. 
 We know he makes a lot of great throws. I just want him to get better at making better quick decisions, with better ball placement with great touch in the short to medium game. He is average at it. When and if he gets there we will be SB bound someday.

It doesn't list Luck but this might be alluding too it.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915500/article/dak-prescott-matthew-stafford-among-top-10-tightwindow-qbs

Honestly I'm not too worried about it quite frankly.  Of the top 5 there is only top 10 QB on there at 5.  Seems to me that the best QB's are able to throw their guys open and avoid tight window throws.  

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Mo Alie Cox TD vs raiders We should 100 percent without a doubt be working on and have these type of plays drawn up to use our size on offense .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

Mo Alie Cox TD vs raiders We should 100 percent without a doubt be working on and have these type of plays drawn up to use our size on offense .

That was a great catch by Mo Alie... and working on plays to utilize our size on offense, especially in the red zone, is a good idea.  I'm just saying, when possible, I'd like to see our guys catching the ball with two hands and holding on to it... sure, the gloves and the size of the player's hands make 1 handed catches more likely than in the past, but I'd rather see us stick to fundamentals and only rely on one-handed catches when necessary in game situations rather than think it's highly likely for our players to have high catch rates by designing plays aimed for 1 handed catches.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

True to both points.  Many have said this may be a good thing for Funchess, as his drops seem to come when he's hit in the numbers rather than having to make a play on the ball.   As long as our guys are catching it, that's great... and I see @Chloe6124's post suggesting "The point I was trying to make is because of the size of these three players when a ball is a little off they are able to still catch the ball with one hand."  My initial reaction to this thread was we should be making 1 handed catches a lot more (this may be true), and my response was suggesting I think it's unwise for us to be in the mindset that because we have size that we should be training our guys that 1 handed catches are good ideas.  When necessary, sure, but I'd rather any day of the week see us use fundamentals and catch the ball with 2 hands than see a bunch of drops with a few highlight reels.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Probably the article that @Valpo2004  posted. If that’s the article then it’s pretty suspect if you look at those QBs.  Talk about dink’s and dunks!

I’m not sure how the stats put him as average, but my eyeball test puts him way above average in accuracy and just about every other category.  He was pressing too much prior to last season, imo.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:19 PM, Smonroe said:

Probably the article that @Valpo2004  posted. If that’s the article then it’s pretty suspect if you look at those QBs.  Talk about dink’s and dunks!

I’m not sure how the stats put him as average, but my eyeball test puts him way above average in accuracy and just about every other category.  He was pressing too much prior to last season, imo.

I don't think the stat is illegitimate per se, it's just not a very useful stat.  Who's better, the QB who is better than the other quarterbacks at taking big risks and threading a ball into a tight window or the QB who can use his eyes and well timed pump fakes to help his receiver get better separation?  

What you are talking about is a small percentage of all throws and they are riskier throws.  The better QB's are going to find ways to avoid those throws when possible.

And I think another person mentioned is that the distance the ball is thrown isn't taken into account either.  

It's just not a useful stat.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think the stat is illegitimate per se, it's just not a very useful stat.  Who's better, the QB who is better than the other quarterbacks at taking big risks and threading a ball into a tight window or the QB who can use his eyes and well timed pump fakes to help his receiver get better separation?  

What you are talking about is a small percentage of all throws and they are riskier throws.  The better QB's are going to find ways to avoid those throws when possible.

And I think another person mentioned is that the distance the ball is thrown isn't taken into account either.  

It's just not a useful stat.  

I agree.  I don't think you can conclude Luck isn't top 16 in accuracy from that article.  For those that did, I'd say trust your eyes, not what you're reading.