Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

“Colts could take a step back”???

coltsfeva

Sunday morning radio show.

When Rodney Harrison was asked, via Twitter what he thought the Colts might do this year, he reiterated “everybody is high on the Colts”. But they’re a young team and I think they could actually take a step back this year”.

Would love to see Mr Harrison eat some crow. Maybe Tony D will serve it up for him. It will be interesting to see if he changes his tune, should the Colts become successful.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Rodney Haterisson...always throwing sahde on the Colts.

However, the idea that regression for some players could occur is not unfounded. Though collectively, the team can step forward.

I think Reich has very good leadership for this team, and don't see the team stepping back.  I think we should win the AFC South this year.

However, like you said, it will be hard for several players to produce like they did last year.  For example, Darius Leonard had 163 tackles as a rookie and lead the league by 19 (while missing a game, so over 10 tackles per game).  He says he wants 200 tackles next year.. which is almost impossible.  If he comes back and has 135 tackles next year (still good for 5th best in the league last year), it may look like a regression, but he'd still have a heck of a year.

They could they have a much harder schedule this year and they are a young team that got hot last year and road that to the playoffs.  We’ve seen this script before.  Look back at the chuckstrong season.  

With that said they could also take the next step.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

The daily NFL coverage is mind-boggling. TV guys, radio guys, internet guys, ex-players, ex-coaches, ex-GMs and every other type of blathering human being you can think of. How about we Colts fans just tune out Rodney Harrison altogether? He's just trying to needle us and cast doubt on our improvement as a team. Chris Ballard > Rodney Whatshisface

• Like 3

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Sunday morning radio show.

When Rodney Harrison was asked, via Twitter what he thought the Colts might do this year, he reiterated “everybody is high on the Colts”. But they’re a young team and I think they could actually take a step back this year”.

Would love to see Mr Harrison eat some crow. Maybe Tony D will serve it up for him. It will be interesting to see if he changes his tune, should the Colts become successful.

Harrison is a loser don't listen to him as long as the defense keeps getting better we will be fine.

52 minutes ago, sreeb2deeni said:

The daily NFL coverage is mind-boggling. TV guys, radio guys, internet guys, ex-players, ex-coaches, ex-GMs and every other type of blathering human being you can think of. How about we Colts fans just tune out Rodney Harrison altogether? He's just trying to needle us and cast doubt on our improvement as a team. Chris Ballard > Rodney Whatshisface

Oh dear god. 

Rodney harrison cares not one iota about Colts fans. He is simply saying what he thinks. How dare he not agree with those of wearing colts colored glasses. 

15 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Oh dear god. 

Rodney harrison cares not one iota about Colts fans. He is simply saying what he thinks. How dare he not agree with those of wearing colts colored glasses. 

The reporters asked Harrison  about the Patriots  and then he decided  to bring up the colts. He could have answered  the Patriots  question  without  bad mouthing the colts

Regression is always a fair topic with any team. While I personally think the chances are low for regression, I always try to take an impartial look at things. Why do teams regress? And what do we have that offsets or takes us the other way?

Age - there's no rules around age. All guys have bodies with different expiration dates

-Vinateri is 46

-Hunt is 32

-Sheard is 30 (and just got dinged up)

-Houston is 30 (how much more is in the tank)

-Castanzo is 30 (coming off injury challenges in 18)

-Hilton is 29 (the good news is even when TY loses a step, he'll still be fast)

-Doyle is 29 (coming off injury challenges in 18)

-Autry is 29

Rooks/younger players, or new team additions who came out of nowhere last year won't surprise teams this year. How will teams game plan this year vs the following?

-Maniac

-Hines

-Mack

-Ebron

New coaches / new schemes won't surprise teams this year

-How will teams, especially in the AFCS adjust to Eberflus's D and Reich's O?

Over confidence / maturity issues / behavioral issues

-I don't see any issues here luckily with our core, so let's hope everyone keeps their heads on straight. 

Injury / recovery

-AC, Doyle, Luck, Sheard, Cain, TY (played through a lot) multiple DBs

Schedule strength changes

-We're going to face much, much better Os and especially passing Os this year. Will our D look as good as last year? Will our young guys continue to develop. Will the addition of Houston give our DL a mean new look?

-Because we'll face much better Os, can our O rise to the occasion. We did a lot to upgrade a woeful WR crew, but will it all come together. How much will our RBs impact the game vs the great passing teams we face? Will some of the tougher Ds in the league that happen to be in the AFCS (who are also improving) adjust to our scheme?

Overall I think there's a lot more reasons for progression than regression, but there are plenty of areas that beg fair questions.

• Thanks 2

Anything can happen with a young team.  I was questioned multiple times in the thread claiming Colts were next powerhouse bc I called them a fringe playoff team.  They needed to go 9-1 down the stretch to make the playoffs.  Only one other team did that in the modern day era.

Can the Colts build off that momentum and stay hot?  Could some of these great rookies have sophomore slumps?  Can they stay healthy?  Will a 2nd receiver finally emerge? When Hilton is banged up or neutralized the offense stalls. Also, the schedule is brutal but I still think we will contend for the division title.  8-8 or 9-7 would not shock me...I predict 10-6 bc I think Reich is the real deal.  We will find out. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The reporters asked Harrison  about the Patriots  and then he decided  to bring up the colts. He could have answered  the Patriots  question  without  bad mouthing the colts

Yep - he just did it to take a dig at colts fans. 

Harrison is paid to be a contrarian. He's constantly that way with Dungy when they are on TV. Hit the ignore button if this bothers you because that's his thing. 

That said, there are three truths here: 1) The Colts are a very talented up and coming team with a very bright future;  2) The Colts have a much more difficult schedule this year than last; and 3) this team was seen as a bottom feeder last season; the same so called "experts" are now all aboard the SB train. Taking a step backward is not out of the question. I worry that this Board has lost some perspective on just how young this team actually is. They are YOUNG. And talented. Just don't pin the Super Bowl expectations on them yet. Another year is going to be necessary to get to that level. 

My point being: enjoy the ride; this is a great new day to be a Colts fan. Just have realistic expectations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

Harrison is paid to be a contrarian. He's constantly that way with Dungy when they are on TV. Hit the ignore button if this bothers you because that's his thing. 

That said, there are three truths here: 1) The Colts are a very talented up and coming team with a very bright future;  2) The Colts have a much more difficult schedule this year than last; and 3) this team was seen as a bottom feeder last season; the same so called "experts" are now all aboard the SB train. Taking a step backward is not out of the question. I worry that this Board has lost some perspective on just how young this team actually is. They are YOUNG. And talented. Just don't pin the Super Bowl expectations on them yet. Another year is going to be necessary to get to that level. 

My point being: enjoy the ride; this is a great new day to be a Colts fan. Just have realistic expectations. 

This year is going to tell a lot. Are we ready or not? We will know about halfway through the season.

4 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Yep - he just did it to take a dig at colts fans. 

Isn't that like needling us Colts fans. At least that's the way I read it with my Colts colored glasses.

Winning in the NFL is very tough, but what the team is doing from top on down should be a recipe for success. Everyone is buying in to the process and there is trust between all positions. The players aren’t listening to the outside, and I’ve already seen a lot of guys take on leadership roles, even the rookies. Unforeseen events could derail the season, sure, but our ceiling is so high right now.

RH doesn't give a hoot about Colts fans. Is he a Pats boot licker?....sure. Like it or hate it, he's here for at least the immediate future.

Every year, one could say team (A) is going to take a step forward...or back, or even more milk toast, say they could take a step back. 

It will have zero effect....let me repeat that....zero effect on what actually happens with the Colts. 

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Regression is always a fair topic with any team. While I personally think the chances are low for regression, I always try to take an impartial look at things. Why do teams regress? And what do we have that offsets or takes us the other way?

Age - there's no rules around age. All guys have bodies with different expiration dates

-Vinateri is 46

-Hunt is 32

-Sheard is 30 (and just got dinged up)

-Houston is 30 (how much more is in the tank)

-Castanzo is 30 (coming off injury challenges in 18)

-Hilton is 29 (the good news is even when TY loses a step, he'll still be fast)

-Doyle is 29 (coming off injury challenges in 18)

-Autry is 29

Rooks/younger players, or new team additions who came out of nowhere last year won't surprise teams this year. How will teams game plan this year vs the following?

-Maniac

-Hines

-Mack

-Ebron

New coaches / new schemes won't surprise teams this year

-How will teams, especially in the AFCS adjust to Eberflus's D and Reich's O?

Over confidence / maturity issues / behavioral issues

-I don't see any issues here luckily with our core, so let's hope everyone keeps their heads on straight. 

Injury / recovery

-AC, Doyle, Luck, Sheard, Cain, TY (played through a lot) multiple DBs

Schedule strength changes

-We're going to face much, much better Os and especially passing Os this year. Will our D look as good as last year? Will our young guys continue to develop. Will the addition of Houston give our DL a mean new look?

-Because we'll face much better Os, can our O rise to the occasion. We did a lot to upgrade a woeful WR crew, but will it all come together. How much will our RBs impact the game vs the great passing teams we face? Will some of the tougher Ds in the league that happen to be in the AFCS (who are also improving) adjust to our scheme?

Overall I think there's a lot more reasons for progression than regression, but there are plenty of areas that beg fair questions.

Completely agree 

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

If we stay healthy Luck could beat mannings td record. I'm thinking we could finish 13-3 or better if all the key pieces  are healthy on offense  and defense. 

I wouldn’t call myself pessimistic about the upcoming season.  But 13-3 sounds a bit hopeful.

Not out of the question, I guess.  But maybe at the top end of the range.

Also, in the NFL, the question isn’t whether or not you sustain injuries, but who has them and how bad they are.  Nobody “stays healthy.”

• Like 1

What he said wasn't wrong.   They could take a step back.   The schedule is tougher than last year, so they may win less games.  Some people define success based off of wins and losses.  

I think they will be a better team that may not win more games than last year.  It wouldn't surprise me if they won 11-12 games though.  

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

What he said wasn't wrong.   They could take a step back.   The schedule is tougher than last year, so they may win less games.  Some people define success based off of wins and losses.  

I think they will be a better team that may not win more games than last year.  It wouldn't surprise me if they won 11-12 games though.  

The schedule, looks a lot more daunting based on what each team did a year ago, but as you well know a new year brings uncertainties to every team in the NFL. Injuries play a major role in each teams goals. Obviously, we will not be overlooked as much this year, but that will be our challenge. We seem to have more depth going into this season, so the expectations will be higher. I think that not putting ourselves in a hole to start the season, is a major goal to shoot for.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I wouldn’t call myself pessimistic about the upcoming season.  But 13-3 sounds a bit hopeful.

Not out of the question, I guess.  But maybe at the top end of the range.

Also, in the NFL, the question isn’t whether or not you sustain injuries, but who has them and how bad they are.  Nobody “stays healthy.”

True, but my hopeful prediction is 19-0 lol. I say 13-3 because I think the offense will out score most teams. I also believe  the defense  is good  enough  to slow down the high powered offenses we will face.