Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TC Day 4

CR91

31 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

The problem is that if he has to go in as CB - and he did - he can be a game changer as well, but in the negative way. I admit I don't know much about special teams other than kicking, but I can't imagine a gunner as game changer for extended period. It's not that kind of a position. A gunner can make turnover after turnover in one year, when all stars aligned, then no turnovers at all in the next, because it's not sustainable.

So if the Colts can find a guy, who is not-as-good-as-Milton, but decent as gunner, and good at playing his regular position, my vote is on that guy. But I'm just an armchair coach, and I am aware of it.

Him and Rigo won us a couple of games down the stretch. When you can pin guys deep and they have a long way to go down field they are most likely going to make a mistake.

7 minutes ago, CamMo said:

My observations of day 4 (my first training camp ever :) )

1. I noticed Ross Travis a lot. Dude is a beast. I admit when people would talk about our TE group being the deepest, I wasn’t sold. But after watching today, the depth is LEGIT.

2. Luck to Doyle is money. Doyle is back.

3. Parris and Funchess had multiple WOW moments today. I am hyped to see Parris in a game.

4. I love me some Marlon Mack. It’s hard to tell without live tackling, but he was aggressive and running hard.

5. Hines was EVERYWHERE. He got tons of work and he looked great.

6. Rock Ya-Sin was a name that kept coming up. He kept making plays.

7. Luck wasn’t super accurate today but the coverage was super tight during the 7 v 7s within the 20....Wish I could have seen him in 11 v 11.

8. THEY ARE BEING EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS WITH STARTERS. There were a lot of breaks, guys getting ice after drills, etc. I didn’t get the impression anyone was really hurt today. 

I was able to get Banogu’s and Green’s autograph. :) 

Great recap.

2 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

A 6th CB would never see the field and would be inactive on gameday unless he's a special teamer.

A 6th CB may not see the field, but it's not written in stone that the team has to carry 6 CB-s. This roster is DEEP, and every single roster spot counts. By keeping only 5 CB-s it would create a spot for someone at other position, who worth it (a 5th S, a 4th TE, a 4th RB, etc.)

Btw, Milton DID see the field last year in multiple games. That's why I wish they could find a good gunner in place of him, 'cause I don't want to see him on defensive plays any more. :)

(Btw, Milton's situation is similar to Rogers's in my eyes. Rogers is a very good, reliable punt returner, but as a WR, I'm not sure he is the 5th best on this years roster. I actually like him, but I see more upside in Johnson or Pascal in the long term. So if someone could take his punt return duties and be adequately good at it, I'd prefer to keep only 5 WR-s, and give the 5th spot to Johnson or Pascal.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

A 6th CB may not see the field, but it's not written in stone that the team has to carry 6 CB-s. This roster is DEEP, and every single roster spot counts. By keeping only 5 CB-s it would create a spot for someone at other position, who worth it (a 5th S, a 4th TE, a 4th RB, etc.)

Btw, Milton DID see the field last year in multiple games. That's why I wish they could find a good gunner in place of him, 'cause I don't want to see him on defensive plays any more. :)

(Btw, Milton's situation is similar to Rogers's in my eyes. Rogers is a very good, reliable punt returner, but as a WR, I'm not sure he is the 5th best on this years roster. I actually like him, but I see more upside in Johnson or Pascal in the long term. So if someone could take his punt return duties and be adequately good at it, I'd prefer to keep only 5 WR-s, and give the 5th spot to Johnson or Pascal.)

I think with the corners we have know it’s very unlikely he would see the field this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think with the corners we have know it’s very unlikely he would see the field this year.

I agree, but my point was about keeping 6 CBs on the roster purely for gunner duties. That spot is also much more valuable now, than last year. It's very likely that a good, high ceiling player will be cut if that spot goes to the 6th CB.

• Like 1

"Quincy Wilson took two of his repetitions against tight ends Billy Brown and Mo Alie-Cox, a rarity for a cornerback; Normally, the safeties match up against the tight ends. Indianapolis likes Wilson’s ability to move all over the defensive formation and play a variety of roles; his ability to cover tight ends one-on-one is part of that versatility."

Very interesting. Could be a telling tale on how Wilson will be used when Rock is on the field.

• Like 1

"Franklin turned in the biggest hit of the practice, leveling running back Aca’Cedric Ware in traffic on a running play near the end of practice. … Indianapolis waived Ware after the practice and signed former Buffalo Bills running back Keith Ford."

Talk about adding insult to injury

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

"Quincy Wilson took two of his repetitions against tight ends Billy Brown and Mo Alie-Cox, a rarity for a cornerback; Normally, the safeties match up against the tight ends. Indianapolis likes Wilson’s ability to move all over the defensive formation and play a variety of roles; his ability to cover tight ends one-on-one is part of that versatility."

Very interesting. Could be a telling tale on how Wilson will be used when Rock is on the field.

That is very interesting considering how bad we were with TE last year.

33 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I agree, but my point was about keeping 6 CBs on the roster purely for gunner duties. That spot is also much more valuable now, than last year. It's very likely that a good, high ceiling player will be cut if that spot goes to the 6th CB.

That was kind of my point. Is Milton as a gunner more important then having Collins or Hairston as a six CB who probably won’t dress on game day. That is a decision they will have to make. If they keep Milton one of them won’t make it unless they cut elsewhere. 

General thoughts.

Campbell - all the good stuff we're hearing is truly exciting. Hearing that his route running is much more advanced than predicted is incredible news. Happy to hear he rebounded nicely on returns today too. If he ends up as a returner, he easily could hit the 1000 all purpose yard mark as a rook.

Cain - sounds like he's continuing to impress. Glad to hear he had a nice TD from Luck today.

Funch - I think we all new he would be boss in RZ situations, but can anyone who was camp comment on his routes (what routes do they have him running) and performance between the 20s. Thinking about Funch, Cain, Ebron, and Doyle in RZ packages almost makes me faint.

Rock - sounds like he's adjusting to the NFL as fast as he adjusted to D1 when he transferred. Love what we're hearing.

Banogu - saying prayers every night they focus him all on DE. With Sheard's potential issue, I think he's our best avenue. And it sounds so far that he's impressing.

Dulin - starting to see more an more good stuff about Dulin. He certainly has the athleticism. If he can put it together at this level, he might be a keeper, or at minimum a developmental practice squad guy like Fountain was last year.

Luck - all the worry warts need to relax. They were very clear they would take it slow with him. I guarantee he's on a very defined pitch count and plan. Unless he starts looking hobbled, nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do remember one big play they said DF was wide open down the field for a catch. Someone who went might have more but it’s hard to know from tweets.

Rock fell down on the route. I think thats the play he got hurt

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do remember one big play they said DF was wide open down the field for a catch. Someone who went might have more but it’s hard to know from tweets.

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rock fell down on the route. I think thats the play he got hurt

thanks guys. super pumped for what I know DF brings (RZ monster), and cautiously optimistic about the rest of his game. 

sounds like he's having fun though. and that may be enough to energize him and get his head/performance back to 100% (if that was indeed the problem). him being a threat over every inch of the field would be tremendous. love it that he's tossing it with the kids. did he do that before in Carolina?

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

thanks guys. super pumped for what I know DF brings (RZ monster), and cautiously optimistic about the rest of his game. 

sounds like he's having fun though. and that may be enough to energize him and get his head/performance back to 100% (if that was indeed the problem). him being a threat over every inch of the field would be tremendous. love it that he's tossing it with the kids. did he do that before in Carolina?

I think I read he had done that in Carolina with the kids. From what we have heard Funchess route running is very good and shouldn’t be a problem. There is a couple IG stories of him catching passes on Kevin Bowen’s Instagram. One of Parris and Cain too I believe. DF is showing some leadership too.

Love hearing about these rookies. I think Ya-Sin has the potential to start day 1 against the Chargers. I'm irrationally hyped about Campbell. Glad to see his weakness of not being able to run routes was more on Haskins and how OSU utilized him.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Im expecting Sheard to go on IR rather thats returning later in the season or miss the whole season which will really be a blow to our run defense

Why are you EXPECTING ANYTHING?!?

What do you know to make such a prediction?

All Reich has said is that Sheard is going to miss some time.

Even if you're right,  it's not because you know anything.     You're guessing.    Just guessing.    Why can't you simply wait until we know more information.      Remember,  even if blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.    Remember,  even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Why are you EXPECTING ANYTHING?!?

What do you know to make such a prediction?

All Reich has said is that Sheard is going to miss some time.

Even if you're right,  it's not because you know anything.     You're guessing.    Just guessing.    Why can't you simply wait until we know more information.      Remember,  even if blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.    Remember,  even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Just doesnt seem they expect him back amy time soon. Im hope im wrong. Just my observation

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Love hearing about these rookies. I think Ya-Sin has the potential to start day 1 against the Chargers. I'm irrationally hyped about Campbell. Glad to see his weakness of not being able to run routes was more on Haskins and how OSU utilized him.

Teams didn’t do much research on him. If they had they would of known he worked on routes in his off time with a coach. It was to prepare him for the nfl or they had a injury at OSU. Our coaches really know how to evaluate a player also.

• Like 1

Boy, Luck sure SUCKED today.      One more day like this and we may have to cut him?    With this latest injury,   who would trade for Luck now?!?     He's worthless!     WORTHLESS!!

Maybe he can be the back-up to Brissett?     Jacoby could end up as the Colts' starter with Luck as the back-up.

Maybe Luck could even play some Special Teams?!?

It's Day 4 and some people are reading so much into so little....      (Sigh....)

:sarcasm:

• Haha 2