Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ezekiel Elliot may hold out

shakedownstreet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037111/article/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-not-on-team-plane-to-camp

Seems to me that having a top tier running back is a curse to teams. It's understandable from the player's side of overuse under a rookie deal, and the team's side who is nervous about throwing wads of cash at a devalued position.

• Like 1

I just don't think you can ask to renegotiate or extend a contact with 2 years left on the deal..

If Ezekiel hurts his knee, he might be out of football in 4 years...

….NFL teams cant predict the health of running backs 4 years down the line so they cant put $15,000,000 on the line per year for 2021 and beyond.

That would be a horrible management decision.

He's got to play out his rookie deal to earn the big buck guarantees

I'm still on the fence on the RB contracts.  They are signed for 4 years with a 5th year option as a rookie.  That is pretty much their "prime" years.  So getting that big payday in year 6 isn't going to happen in most cases.  That's not usually the case with most other positions.   

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm still on the fence on the RB contracts.  They are signed for 4 years with a 5th year option as a rookie.  That is pretty much their "prime" years.  So getting that big payday in year 6 isn't going to happen in most cases.  That's not usually the case with most other positions.   

the RB position is slowly but surely becoming a non factor or rather less of a factor than it was just 5 years ago.  I think you're going to eventually see teams not taking RBs very often in the 1st round. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

the RB position is slowly but surely becoming a non factor or rather less of a factor than it was just 5 years ago.  I think you're going to eventually see teams not taking RBs very often in the 1st round. 

Seems to me taking a back in the late first would be the best place to take them.   You get them for 5 years instead of 4

Wait,

Somebody signs their name to a contract that says they will play for x amount of money for 4 years. 

Same person then cries halfway through about doing the exact thing they signed a contract for, gets mad, and wants to change it later? 

It's mind boggling that people actually get rewarded for this type of behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Wait,

Somebody signs their name to a contract that says they will play for x amount of money for 4 years. 

Same person then cries halfway through about doing the exact thing they signed a contract for, gets mad, and wants to change it later? 

Teams ask players to redo deals all the time.  They also cut players who are under contract. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Seems to me taking a back in the late first would be the best place to take them.   You get them for 5 years instead of 4

That is why Sony Michel is going to be squeezed out of whatever he can provide by Belichick, while in his rookie contract. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Teams ask players to redo deals all the time.  They also cut players who are under contract. 

The player can say no just like the team can. 

I'm no legal expert, but I'm guessing the contract either has an endorsement or specific verbiage that states something to the effect of "if player is cut from team, contract becomes null and void" 

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

i dont think its becoming a non factor.  both super bowl teams had first round running backs last year, and they were contributors.  a lot of them have been taken pretty high lately 

if you look at the teams that have won super bowls lately most of them were top 5 in rushing too.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

RB get screwed with rookie contacts. Maybe they should make it where the rookie contact for a RB is only two years. Imagine if your a guy like Mack who was taken in the fourth. He is making peanuts.  

It's just a tough call.    Other position players will not be happy that RB's get treated differently.  

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

RB get screwed with rookie contacts. Maybe they should make it where the rookie contact for a RB is only two years. Imagine if your a guy like Mack who was taken in the fourth. He is making peanuts.  

Mack hasnt done anything to earn a big contract yet, Zeke has 5300 yards and 34 TDs in 3 years

2019 Salary Cap Charge: $7,940,653

% of 2019 Team Cap: 3.96%

2019 Cash Payout: $3,853,137

% of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 2.08%

2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.49

Total Contract Value: $24,956,338

Annual Contract Value: $6,239,085

Position Ranking: 10/197 at RB

Fully Guaranteed Money: $24,956,338

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 225

College: Ohio State

Accrued Seasons: 3

Entry: 2016 Draft, Round 1, #4 overall (Cowboys)

Year Signed: 2016

Contract Type: Drafted

Free Agency: 2021 (UFA)

40 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Mack hasnt done anything to earn a big contract yet, Zeke has 5300 yards and 34 TDs in 3 years

All I meant was that a running back picked as late as Mack are making peanuts. I think Mack is clearly worth more then what he is getting paid. Not Zeke money but also more then what he is getting. Even if he does have a huge year he will most likely never get the chance at that big second contract. Hopefully we will extend him to pay him more then what he is paid now though.

8 minutes ago, coltsva said:

2019 Salary Cap Charge: $7,940,653

% of 2019 Team Cap: 3.96%

2019 Cash Payout: $3,853,137

% of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 2.08%

2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.49

Total Contract Value: $24,956,338

Annual Contract Value: $6,239,085

Position Ranking: 10/197 at RB

Fully Guaranteed Money: $24,956,338

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 225

College: Ohio State

Accrued Seasons: 3

Entry: 2016 Draft, Round 1, #4 overall (Cowboys)

Year Signed: 2016

Contract Type: Drafted

Free Agency: 2021 (UFA)

I assume that is Zeke, but it has him ranked 10/197 RB's.    That is not correct.  

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

All I meant was that a running back picked as late as Mack are making peanuts. I think Mack is clearly worth more then what he is getting paid. Not Zeke money but also more then what he is getting. Even if he does have a huge year he will most likely never get the chance at that big second contract. Hopefully we will extend him to pay him more then what he is paid now though.

While $2.8 million is not really peanuts, it isn't great money for a starting RB.   However, last year he barely broke 900 yards and only had 17 receptions.  His production could probably be replaced fairly easily.   I don't mean for that to be a big knock against him, I'm just thinking that Mack would not be successful if he would hold out for more money right now.   

I like what I see in Mack and think he could be a 1200 yard rusher this season.   

image.png.95d17e08ea69305e3a245bdcc6318478.png

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

While $2.8 million is not really peanuts, it isn't great money for a starting RB.   However, last year he barely broke 900 yards and only had 17 receptions.  His production could probably be replaced fairly easily.   I don't mean for that to be a big knock against him, I'm just thinking that Mack would not be successful if he would hold out for more money right now.   

I like what I see in Mack and think he could be a 1200 yard rusher this season.   

image.png.95d17e08ea69305e3a245bdcc6318478.png

I guess I didn’t realize he was making that much. I was thinking it was well under one million. I stand corrected.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

i think he could earn a nice  raise if he stays healthy the next two years. there is no 5th year option for him, which could help him.  most of the top RBs today are good receivers too, i think he needs to add that to his game to get in the next pay grade 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Correct, that is Zeke

Makes me wonder where they pulled their info to rank him as the 10th best RB in the league.  He is easily in the top 3.   Based on stats alone, probably #1.    

I couldn't find average career lengths that only used good players.   The below graph would include players who are signed and cut before the season I believe.   It would explain why WR is so low.   Teams usually bring in several extra WR's to try out.   

image.png.fd367e8c64a65540ddb3866dcd8c941b.png

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Makes me wonder where they pulled their info to rank him as the 10th best RB in the league.  He is easily in the top 3.   Based on stats alone, probably #1.    

It was from overthecap.com

A 10th ranking is a bit odd.

• Like 1

First round star RBs definitely get a raw deal here. Mostly due to the nature and realities of olaying the position. 4 years plus a 5th year option. Possible franchise tags. That's up to 7 years of team control. By that time the RB is now 30 or dang close to it. Can't be giving massive contracts to 30 year old RBs, especially after they've likely been ran into the ground.

Granted, 5 years of first round paychecks and 2 franchise tags is a hefty sum of money... but no more than any other player selected in the same draft slot who might not have as hard of a time getting the security of a 2nd contract due to the position they play.

Making exceptions for RBs in the rookie wage scale isn't the answer. Maybe making the rookie contracts 3 years plus a 4th option for first rounders? Good luck getting the owners to sign off on that, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

First round star RBs definitely get a raw deal here. Mostly due to the nature and realities of olaying the position. 4 years plus a 5th year option. Possible franchise tags. That's up to 7 years of team control. By that time the RB is now 30 or dang close to it. Can't be giving massive contracts to 30 year old RBs, especially after they've likely been ran into the ground.

Granted, 5 years of first round paychecks and 2 franchise tags is a hefty sum of money... but no more than any other player selected in the same draft slot who might not have as hard of a time getting the security of a 2nd contract due to the position they play.

Making exceptions for RBs in the rookie wage scale isn't the answer. Maybe making the rookie contracts 3 years plus a 4th option for first rounders? Good luck getting the owners to sign off on that, though.

should only be able to tag a player once, imo

Bell did play under the tag once, the second was never going to fly but they tried it anyway 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, Chloe6124 said:

RB get screwed with rookie contacts. Maybe they should make it where the rookie contact for a RB is only two years.

Or.....give the RB group a years vs touches protection.

4 years or 1200 touches. Whichever comes first, your rookie contract has to be fully paid. Any touches after that are paid as an average/touch of the top 10 RB's until the season is over. Teams are riding star RBs in the ground by the time their rookie deals are up

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:33 AM, Myles said:

I get it.  OTOH, the 5th year option pay for a player does balloon.  Just not to market value... typically.  Picks 1-10 get more increase than 11-32 as well:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/nfl-fifth-year-option-salaries-2019

On 8/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Wait,

Rookie contracts are nearly 95% set in stone, most especially the total contract money. Offset language and bonus payment timing and amounts, etc., are negotiable.  Not much else and is mostly determined by draft slot.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Where the tryouts at? I'll take a 16th of your money Zeke..

I kid.. you deserve it all bro.. go gem em!

But really.... where can i tryout?

It used to be NFL Regional Combines, but the NFL is not conducting any in 2019.

https://www.nflregionalcombines.com/

So my advice is get Optimum Scouting to notice you, and stand out in a summer XFL athlete evaluation session.

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/xfl-starts-athlete-evaluation-process-summer-showcase-recap/

Good luck.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Myles said:

I assume that is Zeke, but it has him ranked 10/197 RB's.    That is not correct.  

It's the same reason why Luck is the 11th highest paid QB, the next guy to sign will be topping the list. Cooper is trying to get the biggest contract for a WR but he's not even top 10 same with Prescott 

3 hours ago, ty4atd said:

It's the same reason why Luck is the 11th highest paid QB, the next guy to sign will be topping the list. Cooper is trying to get the biggest contract for a WR but he's not even top 10 same with Prescott 

Totally my bad.   I read the post wrong.   I thought it meant Elliot was ranked the 10th best RB in the NFL.   Ha ha.  Now it makes sense.  

Although, being the 10th highest paid RB when you are still on your rookie contract is still pretty good.  

15 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

hell I'm happy as long as the cowboys screw up and lose him to anyone but NE

Well, they screw up if they can't get Prescott's and Coopers deals done.  They have Zeke's rights locked up for 2 years, and 3+ if they want to Franchise tag him.  But Dak and Amari deals need to be in place to do (Franchise) that.

3 hours ago, ty4atd said:

Reports are Dallas has deals on the table for all 3 players that put them in the top 5 pay at their positions.  No deals done, and none expected until at least the time the Cowboys arrive back in Dallas (They're in Oxnard now).

Elliott has said no deal, no play.  And we remember LeVeon Bell, who did hold out all year.  However, unlike Bell, Zeke is under contract and will begin collecting fines soon for not showing, and Cowboys would also be able to seek return of a prorated portion of his signing bonus as well. 

If a deal isn't done by game 1, then Zeke's leverage rests completely on the Cowboys W-L record the first few games.  And to me, their schedule really isn't all that difficult to start out.  Could be rough waters for Elliott, but no way he gets released or ends up on another teams for 2-3 years unless there is a blockbuster trade.