Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Willie Namath

horseshoecrabs

Did anyone see "A football Life" on  Namath?  As a fan I went through that era. An as a Colts fan, while it was going on I despised the man. His statistics, (if you are a stats guy)  might not see him as a "GOAT" contender but, It reminded me of how much that man changed the culture of that era. His life had a lot of ups and downs, but, historically he was a major player in the evolution of the NFL. Sometimes it's not just about looking back on statistics but, seeing "  What did this individual do to change the league. Sometimes I think that is also  relevant . Any thoughts on this? Is their other Players, if you look back in history that you can think of also made an impact?

• Like 1

For the longest time I hated (sports hate) Namath with the fire of a thousand hells.

His personality and schtick far out-matched his career production, and in light of NFL history he's pretty much a one-hit wonder.... but it was a big hit that shook the league up and he called his shot, so I gotta give him credit for that.

Ba$*!@&#!:hairout:

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, King Colt said:

He was a super star and still is. No one had a greater impact on the NFL balancing out so all teams were equal. He will always be a thorn in my side but he and "that" game were good for football. I guarantee it.

So true. The NFL was considered invincible..and the AFL was seen as gimmicky finesse football.

Baltimore was an 18-point favorite going in to that game and the Jets won 16-7....18 points is the 2nd largest favorite ever in a Super Bowl.  (Did you remember that the 49ers were an 18 1/2 point favorite over San Diego in 1995?. I didn't)

Broadway Joe and the Jets over Baltimore in '69 changed the face of the sport

Not to sound like I have sour grapes but in that SB 3, the Colts had so many dumb turnovers that it looked fixed. I am not saying it was fixed and I wasn't even born yet so no sour grapes here. Namath made the Hall of Fame off of that 1 game in reality because it did change how the league was viewed. Overall he had an average career in reality outside of that SB run. I like him though, he is flashy and had style.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I do have sour grapes living through that game in that era.  9 times out of 10 we should have dominated that game. Were we over confident leading up to that game as a 17 point  favorite?  Definitely, Since the preveniently Packers won Super Bowl 1 & 2. We viewed the AFL as a minor Football league, at the time. When we dominated the Browns in the NFL Championship  game 34 to zero., We thought that we  were already the pro football  champions. At that time the so called Super Bowl was just a formality. Before that game we thought that we were already the Pro football champion, This was just a game to show our dominance. Just like back in the day when the NFL champion played the college all stars before pre season.  Seems crazy now,  that  back in the day the pro football champs would play the college all stars, right? But back then, the best of college  players would actually play in this game. now ? not so much. 

• Like 1

Oh, buy the way, it was the most humiliating game to come back to high school the week after, to face my buddies, after I built  up the Colts before the game. This was without a doubt, my worst week to face in High School. After that game , I learned to be humble, Believe me. LOL.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Oh, buy the way, it was the most humiliating game to come back to high school the week after, to face my buddies, after I built  up the Colts before the game. This was without a doubt, my worst week to face in High School. After that game , I learned to be humble, Believe me. LOL.  

Yeah I hear you. When we lost to Pitt in the 2005 season playoffs I became really humble. I didn't think any team in the history of the NFL could beat us that season haha once the playoffs started.

• Like 1