Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN article on Reich's leadership

CurBeatElite

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/24627/frank-reichs-latest-comeback-gives-colts-great-expectations

I thought this was a very good read.

Essentially, it talks about Reich changing his approach to leading/motivating players this season.  Last year, he said it was easy when we were ranked last in the league in the pre-season NFL power rankings.... this year he says the challenge will be to keep players motivated day in and day out with the expectations they have on them due to last year's success.

I like his quote here:

"Yeah, that will be a little bit of the challenge. I don't think -- maybe I overplayed the preseason ranking thing a little bit. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time," Reich said, laughing. "... As you know me and as you know how we roll around here, we typically don't make a big deal out of that. So really the challenge this year will be keeping the same approach, the 1-0 approach. Keeping the getting better every day, not being complacent in any way. Not falling into the trap of thinking, 'We are supposed to be this and that.' We did nothing. We've got to go prove it every day and that should be our mentality."

• Like 3

Coach Reich will have the guys believing that it's a 1-0 approach no matter what the record is. I truly believe that those guys RESPECT and have complete faith in him. This quote is perfect "We did nothing. We've got to go prove it every day and that should be our mentality."

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know, the last thing we want is to bring up Josh McDaniels.  Again.

However, to me, this is the difference between the two guys.

Josh McDaniels is a brilliant game day strategist.

Frank Reich is a Leader of Men.

(mic drop)

I think Reich is a fairly good strategist himself.  At the very least I think he's a coach who's adaptable to changing situations.  He coordinated an offense that beat the Pats in the SB in a shootout.   This wasn't a situation of his defense shutting the Pats down like the Giants did.  No this was a situation where Brady and Foles dueled it out touchdown for touchdown until the Eagles defense came up with one play that put the Eagles on top.  

Says at the very least he can adapt his offense to fit what his players have.