Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy 'Do what we do' vs Belichick gameplans

Iron Colt

Does anybody else think that the Dungy(and to be fair a lot of other coaches)way of game planning is just lazy compared to Belichick and the way that he specifically game plans for each game.

Hopefully Reich is closer to Belichick than Dungy. I'd like to see a coach that can game plan and adjust rather than just 'do what we do'.

I need you to explain "lazy" before I can answer. Dungy is a HOF coach, who invented a defensive scheme, that changed the game back in his time. Very few coaches can say that in the history of football. And he did specifically game plan for each game. As every team & coach did and does for quite a long time.

Regarding Reich, I like him, I think the Colts found a - kinda - hidden gem in him. However, he has a long, long way to get to where Dungy is/was, not to mention be better than him...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Colt said:

Does anybody else think that the Dungy(and to be fair a lot of other coaches)way of game planning is just lazy compared to Belichick and the way that he specifically game plans for each game.

Hopefully Reich is closer to Belichick than Dungy. I'd like to see a coach that can game plan and adjust rather than just 'do what we do'.

Oh look, another Patriots fan pretending to be a Colts fan.  Dungy specifically game planned for each game as well. 

What makes BB different and why he's a great coach is because most coaches develop a game plan to attack the opponent's biggest weakness.  BB game plans to attack an opponents biggest strength because if he takes away a team's strength then they have to rely on a weakness to win the game.

• Like 5

I feel like belicheck isn’t straight up changing his system or scheme for opponents. Rather, he identifies the strength and weakness of his opponents, and exploits them based off his own schemes and players’ strengths and weaknesses. He’s able to do this  BECAUSE of how versatile his scheme and personnel are. And that starts with the fundamentals and execution y’all alluded to just now.

The Pats are the epitome of versatility. There’s not ‘one specific way’ they win football games. While other teams’ identities are based off play style (example, Manning’s colts being an offensive juggernaut), NE’s identity has always been that ‘do your job’ mentality that thrives on fundamentals and execution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Belichick is just a damn good coach. Both from a game plan perspective, and getting the most out of his guys. He simply was a wizard, and his guys executed. He also was a genius at roster management.

Yes, the GOAT in a hoodie.

ced8441043bc2a66a3da0137bcdb49d9.jpg

The main reason I can’t see Brady as the QB GOAT.... he never had to outsmart him on game day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

I feel like belicheck isn’t straight up changing his system or scheme for opponents. Rather, he identifies the strength and weakness of his opponents, and exploits them based off his own schemes and players’ strengths and weaknesses. He’s able to do this  BECAUSE of how versatile his scheme and personnel are. And that starts with the fundamentals and execution y’all alluded to just now.

The Pats are the epitome of versatility. There’s not ‘one specific way’ they win football games. While other teams’ identities are based off play style (example, Manning’s colts being an offensive juggernaut), NE’s identity has always been that ‘do your job’ mentality that thrives on fundamentals and execution.

We seem to be building the same type of versatile team here in Indy. It’s very exciting.

• Like 2

I guess lazy is the wrong word. Rigid or not wanting to get out of your comfort zone is more appropriate than mentally lazy. 

Dungy was a Tampa 2 guy but you never saw him on the sideline talking to the linebackers or other position groups like you do with Belichick.

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I need you to explain "lazy" before I can answer. Dungy is a HOF coach, who invented a defensive scheme, that changed the game back in his time. Very few coaches can say that in the history of football. And he did specifically game plan for each game. As every team & coach did and does for quite a long time.

Regarding Reich, I like him, I think the Colts found a - kinda - hidden gem in him. However, he has a long, long way to get to where Dungy is/was, not to mention be better than him...

Chuck Noll and Bud Carson created the Tampa 2 - otherwise known as the "Steel Curtain" in the 70's. Not taking anything away from Dungy though....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh look, another Patriots fan pretending to be a Colts fan.  Dungy specifically game planned for each game as well. 

What makes BB different and why he's a great coach is because most coaches develop a game plan to attack the opponent's biggest weakness.  BB game plans to attack an opponents biggest strength because if he takes away a team's strength then they have to rely on a weakness to win the game.

Yes, but Belichick wouldn't be what he is today without Brady but Brady wouldn't be what he is without Belichick the two found each other and it made them champions 6 times over. I think without each other somebody else would have been winning those championships maybe us some years. 

11 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

I guess lazy is the wrong word. Rigid or not wanting to get out of your comfort zone is more appropriate than mentally lazy. 

Dungy was a Tampa 2 guy but you never saw him on the sideline talking to the linebackers or other position groups like you do with Belichick.

I think you started a bad thread with poorly chosen words and followed it up with more nonsense. I’d bail if I were you. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the coaches now have the players to change things up as needed. Eberflus has already showed he knows how to adjust if something isn’t working. 

He did, however the versatility of the Colts defense  was far less than I would like to see in 2019. Actually, for me, one the most intriquing queston right now is how much different the Colts defense will be in 2019? I want Eberflush to spice it up, using less soft zone and more press, man, etc. The fact that they drafted Ya-Sin and Okereke is a good sign. This indicates that 2018 was just a milestone in Eberflus's plans, but not the final destination.

As much as I hate to say it as a fan of the Colts, Bellicheck is the GOAT in NFL history, and that’s including all the amazing players on that list. He led the Pats to all there wins, which is why I don’t think Brady is the GOAT because Bellicheck could probably do that with anyone. If Reich comes anywhere close to that level, we have something special, but that’s not to say Dungy didn’t gameplan. Bellicheck is just a few tiers away from everyone, with the two tiers behind him of all time coaches being empty. 

5 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, but Belichick wouldn't be what he is today without Brady but Brady wouldn't be what he is without Belichick the two found each other and it made them champions 6 times over. I think without each other somebody else would have been winning those championships maybe us some years. 

No doubt, but that can also be said about most successful Coach/QB combos.  It's also why, IMO, Manning is the greatest QB of all time.  Manning went to the Super bowl with four different coaches.  Would Brady have been able to do that?  Possible, I think Brady is a great QB.

• Like 2

I think that when some people are too rigid in their approach, it could be a sign that they don't know any other way, rather than because they think their way is always the best way.  I often wondered that about Dungy.  

Frankly, I also wondered that about Bobby Knight too.  

Both are great successes at their profession and received many accolades, but I question whether or not they did what they did to an unwavering degree because of other shortcomings.

Dungy was also probably limited by the personnel to do many different things as resources tended to be focused on a few star players.

IIRC, Dungy was thought of as a special coach for his approach to the game, discipline, professionalism, and lack of yelling in a league and era where being in people's faces was becoming the norm.  I never really heard of him being talked about as a great X's and O's guy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Chuck Noll and Bud Carson created the Tampa 2 - otherwise known as the "Steel Curtain" in the 70's. Not taking anything away from Dungy though....

No they didn't. The roots were indeed the Steel Curtain, but there's nothing in football withouts roots. The tampa2, as the middle lb dropping deep when he reads a pass play was Dungy's and Monte Kiffin-s invention/addition.

32 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

No they didn't. The roots were indeed the Steel Curtain, but there's nothing in football withouts roots. The tampa2, as the middle lb dropping deep when he reads a pass play was Dungy's and Monte Kiffin-s invention/addition.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, however, Dungy himself has stated he brought that defense from the 1975 or 1976 playbook.....

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think that when some people are too rigid in their approach, it could be a sign that they don't know any other way, rather than because they think their way is always the best way.  I often wondered that about Dungy.  

Frankly, I also wondered that about Bobby Knight too.  

Both are great successes at their profession and received many accolades, but I question whether or not they did what they did to an unwavering degree because of other shortcomings.

Dungy was also probably limited by the personnel to do many different things as resources tended to be focused on a few star players.

IIRC, Dungy was thought of as a special coach for his approach to the game, discipline, professionalism, and lack of yelling in a league and era where being in people's faces was becoming the norm.  I never really heard of him being talked about as a great X's and O's guy.

Colts fans have bad mouthed Dungy's vannila defenses relentlessly.
 THE reason for only one SB win.

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Whatever Dungy did, he won a s**tload of games at 2 different places, so i'd say his methods were just fine.

He also had a bunch of head scratching defeats in the playoffs. Even at home to teams without their starting QB, RB and TE. 

Great man. Average coach.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, however, Dungy himself has stated he brought that defense from the 1975 or 1976 playbook.....

Then he may be taking more credit than what is due, because the Tampa 2 did not excel until Monte Kiffin got involved.  Kiffin specialized in coaching LBs going way back to his early years at Nebraska, IIRC.  And he evolved the position into the LB play/body type that makes the T2 distinguishable from the traditional 43 zone Ds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Kiffin

30 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

He also had a bunch of head scratching defeats in the playoffs. Even at home to teams without their starting QB, RB and TE. 

"Great man. Average coach." Actually great man, right for Peyton Manning and very good coach. He just wasn't great like Bill Belichick but only a few were like Lombardi, Walsh, Shula, Landry, etc.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Average coach, LOL :D He has the 3rd best winning percentage amongst all coaches in the superbowl era. He has a defensive scheme attached to his name (whatever I or anyone else think about it, that's fact, google it). He is inducted into the HOF. He was the first african american head coach to win a SB. 

I just hope Reich will eventually become such an average coach as Dungy was. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Average coach, LOL :D He has the 3rd best winning percentage amongst all coaches in the superbowl era. He has a defensive scheme attached to his name (whatever I or anyone else think about it, that's fact, google it). He is inducted into the HOF. He was the first african american head coach to win a SB. 

I just hope Reich will eventually become such an average coach as Dungy was. :)

Having it attached to his name doesn't mean he invented it or was instrumental in how it was successfully run in Tampa....the attachment could be a simple summary or even political......noticing that it was less successful in Indy without Kiffin.

1 hour ago, Iron Colt said:

Oh come on. All those great Manning teams and he went to one Superbowl. They called him one and Dun-gy for a reason. 

In the playoffs, he was bad.

So let me understand this. When they won in the playoffs it was the Manning-led teams. When they lost it was on Dungy?

• Like 3