Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could colts trade for Clowney?

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

True.  But if I remember correctly Bellicheck sent Bledsoe to the Bills and then started Brady.  That was a long time ago of course and I don't remember what they received in return.  I wonder if there are more current examples of a star player being traded within the same division?  

I think they tried for a fairly long time to move Drew. It takes 2 to tango, and surprisingly few other teams were interested. In addition, the Bills were quite bad (Jim Kelly was long gone) and eventually willing to part with a first round pick for Drew, so the Pats pulled the trigger.

It's usually like the Favre scenario.  Take Darelle Revis. Jets wanted to trade him. Patriots and Dolphins were interested. So was Tampa Bay.  Who are you going to negotiate with?  Easy, the Bucs.  You play him once every 4 years, and don't compete for a playoff spot where either of the other 2 you play twice a year and compete for playoffs.  Like Favre, Revis ended up on the rival (Pats) team shortly thereafter anyway.

The only other in division trade of note (to me I can recall) was the Eagles trading Donovan McNabb to the Redskins.  There might be more, I just don't remember any others though.

15 hours ago, Maniac said:

One of the most overrated players in the league.

No. We have young guys and we added Houston and still have Sheard, why trade picks and young players for him? The Texans would flex us too.

Legit question - what does “the Texans would flex us” mean?

Never going to happen. I love Clowney as a player and he's the only guy I fear on that Texans defense. He wants a long term contract and wants to get paid but injuries have always been his downfall. The Texans aren't foolish enough to trade him to Indianapolis and Ballard isn't giving the Texans what they want for him.

16 hours ago, DarkSuperman87 said:

Never going to happen. I love Clowney as a player and he's the only guy I fear on that Texans defense. He wants a long term contract and wants to get paid but injuries have always been his downfall. The Texans aren't foolish enough to trade him to Indianapolis and Ballard isn't giving the Texans what they want for him.

He hasn't missed more than 3 games in a season since his rookie year, & he's been nominated to the Pro Bowl the last 3 seasons. That's not to say I'd want Ballard to give up the farm for him, but his injury history isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

15 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He hasn't missed more than 3 games in a season since his rookie year, & he's been nominated to the Pro Bowl the last 3 seasons. That's not to say I'd want Ballard to give up the farm for him, but his injury history isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

The major concern for me is that he had microfracture surgery and a torn meniscus. Then two years in a row in 2017 and 2018, he needed cleanup procedures on the same knee. He likely has a degenerative condition in that knee (maybe the other one, also; congenital knee defects are common, especially related to cartilage), and the clock is ticking. I'll be shocked if that knee doesn't become a persistent issue in the next couple of years.

I didn't remember that until reading your post. That being the case, no way would I commit big guaranteed money to him. If I were the Texans, I'd probably be looking to trade him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The major concern for me is that he had microfracture surgery and a torn meniscus. Then two years in a row in 2017 and 2018, he needed cleanup procedures on the same knee. He likely has a degenerative condition in that knee (maybe the other one, also; congenital knee defects are common, especially related to cartilage), and the clock is ticking. I'll be shocked if that knee doesn't become a persistent issue in the next couple of years.

I didn't remember that until reading your post. That being the case, no way would I commit big guaranteed money to him. If I were the Texans, I'd probably be looking to trade him.

He didn't have the clean up this year though (at least as far as we know)...could have just been part of the prescribed rehab and treatment after the microfracture surgery...since both occurred immediately after the season.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He didn't have the clean up this year though (at least as far as we know)...could have just been part of the prescribed rehab and treatment after the microfracture surgery...since both occurred immediately after the season.

I'm skeptical. He had microfracture in 2014. Then three and four years later, he did cleanup procedures. It's possible his knee looked and felt great this January, but it's more likely that he declined having surgery because of his contract status. From what we know about microfracture and knee cartilage, this isn't a condition that just goes away; it gets worse with time. I'm assuming his knee is going to continue to be a problem, and will get worse, just like everyone else who's ever had microfracture.

(By the way, Melvin Gordon had microfracture in 2016. Between his injury history and the Chargers' cap situation and upcoming free agents, I'm thinking there's less than a 5% chance Gordon gets a long term deal from the Chargers.)

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, 1959Colts said:

He is injury prone and I believe over-rated.

He seemed to have moved past his injury issues but I sort of agree with the overrated.  

He's a good player at this level but he's made out to be a special player and he's just not if you ask me.  Watt is.  This dude rushes the QB opposite Watt and still hasn't managed to get more than 10 sacks in a year.  

Don't get me wrong, 9 sacks a year is a good number.  But it's not special.  

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

This dude rushes the QB opposite Watt and still hasn't managed to get more than 10 sacks in a year.  

Yeah, you'd definitely want better production out of a guy you used a #1 pick to get, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, you'd definitely want better production out of a guy you used a #1 pick to get, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Honestly in terms of trade's I think I would rather just run with Turay than invest in Clowney.  I would maybe be interested in giving up a 4th rounder for Clowney, but not much higher. 

He's on the franchise tag and if someone wants to get Clowney they are going to have to pay him.  And because of how he is being looked at, and being a former #1 overall pick he's probably expecting a market setting deal or at least something in line with what Khalil Mack is getting. (Mack is getting 23.5M per year)  But Mack's doing double digit sacks every year but his rookie year.  Clowney hasn't hit double digit sacks yet in his career.

He's not worth the pick or the money to me.  

Also consider next year's draft is suppose to be really good.  I'd rather give Ballard the pick in a really good draft class then take the pick away and get a good but not great 26 year old player.  

I am generally skeptical of trading first or 2nd round picks away.  I think the Trent Richardson trade left a bad taste in my mouth.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly in terms of trade's I think I would rather just run with Turay than invest in Clowney.  I would maybe be interested in giving up a 4th rounder for Clowney, but not much higher. 

He's on the franchise tag and if someone wants to get Clowney they are going to have to pay him.  And because of how he is being looked at, and being a former #1 overall pick he's probably expecting a market setting deal or at least something in line with what Khalil Mack is getting. (Mack is getting 23.5M per year)  But Mack's doing double digit sacks every year but his rookie year.  Clowney hasn't hit double digit sacks yet in his career.

He's not worth the pick or the money to me.  

Also consider next year's draft is suppose to be really good.  I'd rather give Ballard the pick in a really good draft class then take the pick away and get a good but not great 26 year old player.  

I am generally skeptical of trading first or 2nd round picks away.  I think the Trent Richardson trade left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Yeah I honestly don't think he sniffs what Khalil Mack got, & as far as the Colts go, best case scenario would probably be to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick, keep him through this season, then let him walk & get a comp pick next offseason. It's a contract year for him, so that scenario could be a win for everyone involved.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah I honestly don't think he sniffs what Khalil Mack got, & as far as the Colts go, best case scenario would probably be to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick, keep him through this season, then let him walk & get a comp pick next offseason. It's a contract year for him, so that scenario could be a win for everyone involved.

If that happened maybe.  

I do think it's a moot point though.  I highly doubt the Texans would trade him to a division rival unless the compensation offered just blew them away.  But a fair trade, they would go someplace else.  

I am from South Carolina,  And I saw a lot of his games, before he turned pro, Over the years, the thing that jumps out at me is, despite his talent, speed, and size, he has his moments, but seems to under achieve, and takes plays off through his college career. and also pro. When you add on his history of injuries, I would not give him a big contract.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He seemed to have moved past his injury issues but I sort of agree with the overrated.  

He's a good player at this level but he's made out to be a special player and he's just not if you ask me.  Watt is.  This dude rushes the QB opposite Watt and still hasn't managed to get more than 10 sacks in a year.  

Maybe if a team acquires him and puts him back at his DE position things could really change for him.  I thought moving him to LB was a mistake.  I don't think he has realized his full potential there.  Houston can't wait to play DE with us.  He probably feels he would have been more productive there at KC.  I would bet Clowney would also welcome the switch back to DE.  It will be interesting to see if he ever winds up with a 4-3 team.  

11 hours ago, Superman said:

The major concern for me is that he had microfracture surgery and a torn meniscus.

Agreed, but more with the microfracture procedure over the meniscus

Then two years in a row in 2017 and 2018, he needed cleanup procedures on the same knee. He likely has a degenerative condition in that knee (maybe the other one, also; congenital knee defects are common, especially related to cartilage), and the clock is ticking. I'll be shocked if that knee doesn't become a persistent issue in the next couple of years.

I am on board there (bolded part).  Lots of procedures to substitute for the loss of articular cartilage. But none are nearly as good as the original.  Microfracture seems a shorter term solution over other methods as well.

And any good team doctor will know what they are getting and make sure the GM knows.

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

IMHO, he's likely on borrowed time.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm skeptical. He had microfracture in 2014. Then three and four years later, he did cleanup procedures. It's possible his knee looked and felt great this January, but it's more likely that he declined having surgery because of his contract status. From what we know about microfracture and knee cartilage, this isn't a condition that just goes away; it gets worse with time. I'm assuming his knee is going to continue to be a problem, and will get worse, just like everyone else who's ever had microfracture.

Yup, I'm of similar thought.  I wonder what his 'clean up' procedures actually was, though.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

(By the way, Melvin Gordon had microfracture in 2016. Between his injury history and the Chargers' cap situation and upcoming free agents, I'm thinking there's less than a 5% chance Gordon gets a long term deal from the Chargers.)

We don't know size and location of their particular articular cartilage defects. But in any event so far, microfracture has not been proven an effective long term solution.  Especially for high impact sports/professions.

Ballard is a shrewd guy.  Maybe by contacting the Texans & making it public he’s “letting Clowney know” he’s got a fan of his game in CB & the Colts...  I saw a stat that said his tackle for losses were up there with Aaron Donald.  We need a guy like him who can wreak havoc in the backfield be it against the run or the pass.  Don’t be surprised if Ballard gives him a good long look next year in free agency unless Texans are foolish enough to trade him within the division.  

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, but more with the microfracture procedure over the meniscus

I am on board there (bolded part).  Lots of procedures to substitute for the loss of articular cartilage. But none are nearly as good as the original.  Microfracture seems a shorter term solution over other methods as well.

And any good team doctor will know what they are getting and make sure the GM knows.

IMHO, he's likely on borrowed time.

Yup, I'm of similar thought.  I wonder what his 'clean up' procedures actually was, though.

We don't know size and location of their particular articular cartilage defects. But in any event so far, microfracture has not been proven an effective long term solution.  Especially for high impact sports/professions.

Maybe he is on borrowed time...but it's not like the we are talking about getting a guy heading into his 30s...or someone that will require a 10-year contract. This is his age 26 season...and it's not unreasonable to think he could provide 3-4 high level seasons at least. And considering the Colts are in a Super Bowl window...that would be just fine by me.

Kelce had microfracture surgery in 2013...and has played at an incredibly high level for 6 years after...and doesn't appear to be slowing down.

Marques Colston had it in 2009 (age 26)...and went on to have several good-great seasons through his age 31 season. He even had it again in 2011 (age 28)...and was still basically a 1,000 yards receiver through his age 31 season.

Those are obviously anecdotal...but I think writing off Clowney is a bit premature.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

The question is whether you want to guarantee him $75-100m over the next 3-4 years.

Mack got $90M gtd...I can't see Clowney getting close to that. I think it would probably be ~$60-65M...which is what Lawrence and Clark both got...and maybe not even that much. 

It's not my money...but I would do it. The Colts have the money...and I don't think the Colts will find a better player to add to the team in FA...Clowney is a 3x consecutive Pro Bowler with double digit sack upside...heading into his prime...whose skill sets fits perfectly into a position where they have a long-term need. 

To put it another way...I would much rather give Clowney a deal and add him to this team to try and win a Super Bowl...than spend that cash on extending guys 1-2 years before they are due. The Colts have a nice 3-4 year window where they can be a lot more aggressive.

Signing someone like Clowney will make a dent...but it won't hurt them long-term. There is a very good chance this team will have left upwards of $80M on the table over this four-year period. Right now, they have to spend $44M in cash next offseason just to get 89% (using OTC and estimating a $10M increase for the salary cap). They will make that up for sure (in FA and extensions)...but they have the flexibility to commit to a player like Clowney. I get being lean during those first two years...but not now.

The key for me would be the draft capital. If it's only one of those 2nds...I am very intrigued. 

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Signing someone like Clowney will make a dent...but it won't hurt them long-term.

So I agree with this, for a clean sheet difference maker at a premium position, with years of high impact play remaining. I wanted Flowers and Lawrence (both have injuries, but nothing like microfracture). 

Clowney is a 3x consecutive Pro Bowler with double digit sack upside...heading into his prime

This is where we disagree. I don't think Clowney fits that profile I described above, primarily due to the microfracture. That makes me question whether he is actually heading into his prime, or whether the odds say he's going to start having serious problems with that knee.

I also wonder whether actually has double digit sack potential, just based on his ability and skill. I mean, it's not unreasonable to project him getting 10-12 sacks, but he hasn't broken that barrier yet. He can obviously beat blockers, and he has tools, but I kind of see him in that Trey Flowers area -- lots of pressures and disruption, but lacking the closing ability to get a lot of sacks. I definitely don't see him ever hitting the 15+ sack range.

He's undoubtedly a really good player (obviously better than Flowers, btw), but is he ever going to be a monster, a dominant difference maker for a good defense? I'm skeptical.

Add in the knee condition, and my level of interest in guaranteeing him even $60m over three years goes way down; it basically disappears. I'd rent him for a year, but I'd only want to pay rental price, which means it's not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

So I agree with this, for a clean sheet difference maker at a premium position, with years of high impact play remaining. I wanted Flowers and Lawrence (both have injuries, but nothing like microfracture). 

This is where we disagree. I don't think Clowney fits that profile I described above, primarily due to the microfracture. That makes me question whether he is actually heading into his prime, or whether the odds say he's going to start having serious problems with that knee.

I also wonder whether actually has double digit sack potential, just based on his ability and skill. I mean, it's not unreasonable to project him getting 10-12 sacks, but he hasn't broken that barrier yet. He can obviously beat blockers, and he has tools, but I kind of see him in that Trey Flowers area -- lots of pressures and disruption, but lacking the closing ability to get a lot of sacks. I definitely don't see him ever hitting the 15+ sack range.

He's undoubtedly a really good player (obviously better than Flowers, btw), but is he ever going to be a monster, a dominant difference maker for a good defense? I'm skeptical.

Add in the knee condition, and my level of interest in guaranteeing him even $60m over three years goes way down; it basically disappears. I'd rent him for a year, but I'd only want to pay rental price, which means it's not gonna happen.

What's considered a rental price? You wouldn't give Clowney $17M for one year? I would...in a heartbeat. If I could get like a 4/$65M...even better.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

What's considered a rental price? You wouldn't give Clowney $17M for one year? I would...in a heartbeat. If I could get like a 4/$65M...even better.

To the bolded, absolutely. I was talking about the trade compensation. If he were a free agent, and willing to sign a one or two year deal, I'd sign him. What I don't want is to give up significant trade compensation to get him. Then add on top a big, five year deal with huge guarantees... I'm not interested.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, absolutely. I was talking about the trade compensation. If he were a free agent, and willing to sign a one or two year deal, I'd sign him. What I don't want is to give up significant trade compensation to get him. Then add on top a big, five year deal with huge guarantees... I'm not interested.

Gotcha. Yeah...I am not a fan of the trade part either. Would have to be reasonable...which doesn’t happen in intra-division trades.

Clowney aside...flexing his cap space in trade is a move I would love to see Ballard make at some point. Spend $15-20M of that saved cash.