Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could colts trade for Clowney?

Lol. We would have to trade Turay. We just wouldn’t have enough room on the roster for everyone. He is still very young so I wouldn’t have a issue with trading Turay for clowney and maybe a draft pick. Just don’t see the Texans doing deal like this inside their division. They are a mess right now so who knows. They have treated clowney like dirt.  

49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Texans are not going to trade Clowney inside the division lol.

Who would you trade though. Maybe give up your first round pick next year.

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/07/16/6-teams-show-strong-interest-in-texans-star/

Could we, sure, will we, no. Should we... well thats a hard pass for me.  Mainly due to scheme fit.  Pretty sure the Texans run a 3-4,  Clowney may or may not play as well in a 4-3. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is he a linebacker or a DE? Would he even fit this system.

He's listed as an DE/LB and thats been the WHOLE beef he's had as its a way for the Texans to screw him on the pay scale with the Tags.

• Like 3

If this is true...I love that Ballard inquired about him. I don't really understand the aversion to other talented players (like the Bobby Wagner thread). This a move a Super Bowl contender would make. Clowney's enterting his age 26 season and you would basically get his prime years. Plug in a Pro Bowler at LDE and this team is a step closer to the Super Bowl.

Colts have an extra 2nd round pick next year...and I would easily trade that pick + Turay/Lewis for Clowney...if that would get it done. 

I don't see any real issue...provided the Colts can lock him into a deal they are comfortable (which might be an issue...but they don't make the trade without a deal in place). They certainly have the money and the need. They could trade/release Sheard to offset some of the cost as well...though I would probably just keep the depth.

The injury issues are a bit overblown now...as he's only missed 3 games in the past 3 years. Compare that ot Houston...who they gave $24M over two years...he has missed 16 games over the past three years and he is 4 years older and past his prime (though still productive). 

Ulimately, I can't imagine HOU trading him to IND...but who knows. I don't think Ballard calls to check in if he didn't think there was a possibility. That would be an incredible way to kick off this season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He is injury prone and I believe over-rated.

Missed three games in the past three years. I wouldn't say he is injury prone...at least not anymore. If he is..then so are most guys in the NFL. Plenty of guys get injuries early in their careers and move past them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Houston would be stupid to send him here.

If they were stupid, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

The DL would be a legit wrecking crew with his addition.

And that helps with the upgraded talent we'll see at QB.

Well Houston has made some dumb decisions lately. Maybe we could trade a corner like Collins and a draft pick for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Our team is so loaded I would even give up next years first round pick for him.

I'd give up a player or pick for him, or a combination. He'd be an immediate huge step toward being a legit SB contending team. With the 2019 schedule, the thing we need most is an improved pass rush. It would trickle down to impact our LBs and DBs too. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well Houston has made some dumb decisions lately. Maybe we could trade a corner like Collins and a draft pick for him. 

I can't remember exactly what all their needs were, but I know they had big time needs at OL and TE going into the draft. Pretty sure they took a few OLs early, and a mid round TE. I'd be happy to put Doyle or Cox on the table. I'd put any of our DLs (except Houston) on the table as well.

22 minutes ago, Nulled said:

Could we? No.

Do you think the Texans, would REALLY trade Clowney to their biggest rival?

That was already talked about. The OP said even though there's no way they would trade Clowney to a divisional rival, hypothetically if you take that factor out, what would you have to/ be willing to give up for Clowney. So basically just look at this like some sort of ESPN trade machine thing

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

That was already talked about. The OP said even though there's no way they would trade Clowney to a divisional rival, hypothetically if you take that factor out, what would you have to/ be willing to give up for Clowney. So basically just look at this like some sort of ESPN trade machine thing

I don't really get what's the point talking about a trade that would never happen, but whatever. Imo Ballard - at this point -, would not give up a good pick PLUS give a blockbuster contract to him. I don't think Ballard sees this current roster as a "we just need one more guy" kind of roster. He and Irsay put down a 3+ years plan, and he is in year 2 now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

If this is true...I love that Ballard inquired about him. I don't really understand the aversion to other talented players (like the Bobby Wagner thread). This a move a Super Bowl contender would make. Clowney's enterting his age 26 season and you would basically get his prime years. Plug in a Pro Bowler at LDE and this team is a step closer to the Super Bowl.

Colts have an extra 2nd round pick next year...and I would easily trade that pick + Turay/Lewis for Clowney...if that would get it done. 

I don't see any real issue...provided the Colts can lock him into a deal they are comfortable (which might be an issue...but they don't make the trade without a deal in place). They certainly have the money and the need. They could trade/release Sheard to offset some of the cost as well...though I would probably just keep the depth.

The injury issues are a bit overblown now...as he's only missed 3 games in the past 3 years. Compare that ot Houston...who they gave $24M over two years...he has missed 16 games over the past three years and he is 4 years older and past his prime (though still productive). 

Ulimately, I can't imagine HOU trading him to IND...but who knows. I don't think Ballard calls to check in if he didn't think there was a possibility. That would be an incredible way to kick off this season.

I'm on board with you on this for all the reasons you mentioned.  Also someone earlier question his fit in a 4-3 but that's exactly what Houston is doing so I don't see an issue there.  It might actually be the best thing for him to make that switch.  I'm happy Ballard inquired and I think everyone would agree we are SB contenders so a trade like this would make sense and fill a huge need.  Still very hard to believe Houston would trade him to us but I guess anything is possible.  Here's hoping the door is still open for a trade to happen. 

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

I don't really get what's the point talking about a trade that would never happen, but whatever. Imo Ballard - at this point -, would not give up a good pick PLUS give a blockbuster contract to him. I don't think Ballard sees this current roster as a "we just need one more guy" kind of roster. He and Irsay put down a 3+ years plan, and he is in year 2 now.

Technically this is Ballard's 3rd draft/year. 

Regardless, last year's draft and performance put us ahead of plan IMO. And,,,, a good planner/manager always adjusts based on the current situation. I have no clue what they defined as success criteria, but one has to think we're farther along than they expected. If for instance we've satisfied success criteria a year earlier than planned, the current year's plan changes.

ESPN's future power rating agrees as well. If we're number one in their eyes, we can't be more than a couple players away. IMO, we filled our deepest hole this off season, and the remaining holes aren't deep.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It is not like we are going to be picking high in the first round. We don’t have any huge holes to fill so why not.

yup, this is exactly how I feel. we'll end up with the 25th or higher pick. 

I'd bet our 1st round pick is with 15 picks of our 2nd round Washington pick.

i don't know if i can say we don't have decent holes. while i don't think we have "huge" holes, I still think iDL is a decent sized hole. IMO, it's the weakest position group by far. that could change, but i'd bet we're looking for an answer at DT after the season.

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

Could we, sure, will we, no. Should we... well thats a hard pass for me.  Mainly due to scheme fit.  Pretty sure the Texans run a 3-4,  Clowney may or may not play as well in a 4-3. 

Don't believe that at all. He was a 4-3 DE coming out of South Carolina and people questioned his fit in a 3-4.  He'd be fine with us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

yup, this is exactly how I feel. we'll end up with the 25th or higher pick. 

I'd bet our 1st round pick is with 15 picks of our 2nd round Washington pick.

i don't know if i can say we don't have decent holes. while i don't think we have "huge" holes, I still think iDL is a decent sized hole. IMO, it's the weakest position group by far. that could change, but i'd bet we're looking for an answer at DT after the season.

I don’t think we are as weak at DL as people think. I will say we do have a few guys though who are approaching thirty or a little older that we are going to have to think about replacing in the next few years. I think we also need to address grooming a back up left tackle so he is ready for when AC retires. 

The writer is poorly informed regarding our current cap space, and about our current pass rush ability.
 I suppose if they would take Sheard and Our 2nd, and Clowney agreed to just the right contract, it could be possible.
 He is a good overall player, but not a great pass rusher.
I think we are ok without him with a $17M salary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we are as weak at DL as people think. I will say we do have a few guys though who are approaching thirty or a little older that we are going to have to think about replacing in the next few years. I think we also need to address grooming a back up left tackle so he is ready for when AC retires. 

AC is also a concern for me from both a backup/health and retirement perspective.

If he can stay healthy and perform this year, he should get a nice new contract.

I'm a little worried though that age is catching up. He missed 35ish% of snaps last year. 

Can't have a repeat of that.