Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CR91

Position Preview

Lets take a look at the current 90 man roster as training camp looms 

QB- Luck, Brissett, Walker, Kelly

2019 is a critical year for Andrew mostly because this is the first year where he has a complete team imo. This needs to be a MVP campaign for Luck to finally establish himself as the best QB in the league and to bring indy a title. Brissett is an interesting case as he is under his final year and I can't see him re-signing to be a backup. It wouldn't surprised me to see a potential trade at the deadline for a team where their starting QB is either under performing or gets hurt especially if we can get something better then a late 3rd which is basically guaranteed. My best guess would be the bucs especially if Winston continues to struggle. Arians does not seem like a patient guy. As for Walker and Kelly, its gonna be an interesting pre-season seeing these two compete. Not sure Kelly can beat Walker, but I don't think its out of the question.

RB-Mack, Ware, Hines, Wilkins, Williams

Im expecting big things for Mack especially if he can stay healthy. I don't think 1300 yards and 10 tds is out of the question. Ware will get us the hard yards and do the dirty work on third down. Hines will continue to be our change of pace back. Im actually really interested to see him and campbell on the field at the same time. Wilkins is important depth especially if something happens to Mack or Ware. Williams seems locked for the PS unless someone gets hurt.

WR-Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Rogers, Pascal, Johnson, Fountain, Ishamel, Hogan, Hart, Dulin, Veasy

This could be a big year for Hilton because defenses can't just focus on him especially with all the speed (Mack, Campbell, Hines) and size (Funchess, Ebron) we'll have the on the field and then you have a wildcard in Cain. Funchess could be the eagles version of Jeffery in this offense. My concern is that our past luck with one year rental WRs haven't panned out. Im really excited what Campbell brings to our offense especially in the YAC game. If he has a hilton rookie year type of production, hilton can have a career year. As for everyone after that, its an open competition. I know a lot of people are excited for Cain, but I need to see him in a real game. Him, Rogers, and Pascal will most likely be the WRs trying to make the roster. As for the rest of the wrs on the roster, Fountain and Ishamel have the most to prove for even with all the issues at WR last year, they couldn't even crack the rotation and we needed a wr off the street to help our offense.

TE- Ebron, Doyle, Allie-Cox, Travis, Hentges, Brown, Holmes

The biggest impact imo will be the return of Doyle. Don't get me wrong, Ebron was great last year, but Doyle is still the top option at TE with his all around game being an intricate part of our offense. Im not saying we would have beat the chiefs with Doyle, but his sure hands would have made a difference in a game with that weather. Ebron will still be a monster for this offense, but I think his role is mostly gonna be on third down and in the red zone. I see us using Doyle and Allie-cox more just because of how better they are in the run game and that is what Reich wants to do more of. Travis and Hentges have the best chance of making the roster if we tend to keep 4 TEs and I think we will. I think Hentges can beat out Travis just because he can block, but can be an option in the passing game as well. Alabama just never used him in that type of role.

OL-AC, Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Smith, Webb, Haeg, Boehm, Poehls, Garcia, Clark, Siragusa, Andrews, Eldrenkamp, Barton

This oline is by far the best oline of the Luck era in terms of talent and depth. AC is a stalwart on the line. Nelson brings a nasty presences to the line that has been infused to the rest of the line. Kelly is a top 5 talent at center. Glowinski is a mauler and as Luck called him a tough son of a b.....

Smith is a people mover with Nelson-like strength. Haeg is a swish army knife that can play anywhere in the line. Boehm is solid at center and can even play Guard if needed. My only issues I have is regression from Glowinski or Smith and the lack of depth at LT. For this line to continue their success, Glowinski and Smith need to continue to show their progression. As for the LT depth, Webb, Garcia, and Clark do not give me much confidence in case AC goes down. Haeg stepped in when AC got hurt, but you can see the line was not playing at the same level until AC returned.

DL-Sheard, Autry, Hunt, Houston, Turay, Lewis, Stewart, Muhammad, Benogu, Ward, Reid, Phillips, Gwacham, Green, Shippy, Nicolas

This can be the most depth we've had at our dline ever. While there is plenty of potential at pass rush, the biggest strength was in the run game which is surprising considering the lack of size on the dline. Their ability to penetrate and get into the back field make up for the lack of size. The pass rush does have several players that can get after the QB, but the question is how well the pass rush will be consistently. Houston and Sheard should be the main pass rush along with Autry, but the rush will only be as good if Turay, Lewis, benogu are able to contribute as well along with key depth in Ward and Muhammad. 

LB-Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Adams, Speed, Franklin, Moore, Thomas, T.Thomas

Leonard and Walker have the potential to be our Bobby Wagner and K.J Wright. Both bring speed, toughness, and tackling ability. Their the leaders of the defense imo. The depth has potential, but it is also very unproven. Adams is a fierce hitter so I see him playing at SAM more often then Benogu. Okereke can be a good LBer to match against TEs and RBs, but I do not see him playing on run downs. Speed will most likely make the team depending on how he does in STs.

CB-Desir, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Hairston, Collins, Milton, Tell, Taylor

Perhaps the group with the most potential. All of our corners are lengthy, physical, and sure hitters. No one is a shut down corner, but in this defense, that is more of a luxury. Desir, Moore, and Wilson are the best trio of corners we have had in a long time along with Ya-sin in the wing to groom who imo has shut down corner upside. Hairston and Collins will be a battle at TC with Milton perhaps having the upper hand with his ability on STs. I am excited to see how the colts tend to use Tell. He has the length, but probably the least physical of our corners.

S-Geathers, Hooker, Farley, Odum, Willis, Kindred, Milligan, Johnson

Geathers is the most unappreciated player on the team imo. Geathers provides the back bone to our defense with his tackling and his Bob Sanders like closing speed. Hooker has pro bowl talent as his roaming ability was getting back to his rookie year by the end of the season. It was evident how much the defense is effected when he is out of the line up in the chiefs game. As soon as Hooker learns to bait QBs, he will be creating a lot of turnovers. Farley, Odum, and Willis I see all playing a role in the mid-range coverage with Willis playing more matchup based coverages.

15 hours ago, tate said:

Nice job.

Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

So excited to see Farley back. It’s crazy to start seeing pretty good depth across this team. 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, cjrulli said:

So excited to see Farley back. It’s crazy to start seeing pretty good depth across this team. 

If only we had this type of depth early in Luck's career. Luck might have 2 super bowls already. He took a team with not even a 1/3 of the talent this team has to the AFC Championship game and beat Peyton in denver. Also has a 3-1 record which is crazy because those denver teams were so much better.

Concerning the battle at CB, this is a prove it year for Wilson. Been hearing about his potential for forever and it’s year 3 now. There’s also tons of competition. We’ve already locked up 2/3 of our starting corners with Desir and Moore. It’s time to see if Wilson is CB2 or just a rotational guy.