Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Lucky Colts Fan

What is with all the Deshaun Watson hype?

Recommended Posts

I've seen a number of articles online calling Deshaun Watson a top-10 QB.

 

Now this:  nfl-superstar-club-deshaun-watson-gets-in-tom-brady-booted  where Dan Hanzus of NFL.com says Watson will become a "superstar" this year, replacing Tom Brady in his top-10 QB list.

 

I admit I didn't watch a lot of Texans games last year.  I just watched them against the Colts, and he really didn't look that impressive against us.  Is that a testament to our defense?  Is Watson really that good?  Do Watson, Mahomes, and Mayfield deserve all this hype after just one season under center?  :scratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've seen a number of articles online calling Deshaun Watson a top-10 QB.

 

Now this:  nfl-superstar-club-deshaun-watson-gets-in-tom-brady-booted  where Dan Hanzus of NFL.com says Watson will become a "superstar" this year, replacing Tom Brady in his top-10 QB list.

 

I admit I didn't watch a lot of Texans games last year.  I just watched them against the Colts, and he really didn't look that impressive against us.  Is that a testament to our defense?  Is Watson really that good?  Do Watson, Mahomes, and Mayfield deserve all this hype after just one season under center?  :scratch:

Every year the media is going to hype a team or player that shouldn't be hyped its just for fairness of being noticed :funny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good jon this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can't consistently make the 5-10 yard routine passes to keep the offense chugging down the field

 

Not sold at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's like so many other QBs in the NFL that are just "adequate". He will get you enough wins to keep you from picking high in the draft, but he's not enough to get you a Lombardi. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a really talented young QB with flashy physical gifts, but he needs refinement in the technical areas. He can make enough plays now to win games, the question is whether he'll be able to master some of the finer details of QBing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahomes and Mayfield have played one season.  They certainly are talented but one year doesn't  define a career.  I think teams will be more ready for them this year.  We shall see though.  Watson, on the other hand, has played a few years with NFL coaching and with talented players. He's another talented QB who seems to lose focus at times and reverts back to trying to do it all himself.  At least that's how I see him.  He likes to believe he really is Superman at times.  A very self centered player who I am glad is not a Colt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Watson, on the other hand, has played a few years with NFL coaching and with talented players.

 

He's started five more games than Mahomes.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Caleb3502 said:

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good job this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

 

Totally disagree there. Accuracy is suspect, yes!!! But he has plenty of arm strength, IMO. His issues border around his accuracy, deep or middle. However, if he has a guy with the catch radius of Hopkins, he just needs to be what Stafford was for Megatron, use that catch radius and get it to his vicinity. He has plenty of arm strength to lead a speedster like Fuller, and has done so several times over the last 2 years. 

 

Fine aspects of QBing like reading blitzes and making decisions under pressure, he has some ways to go when compared to Luck. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Watson had a very good rookie year and was a huge pleasant surprise given his drafted slot, sort of like Dak Prescott was.  I don't know if Watson had a great second year, after the ACL, but some of the hype may be coming from the thought of him building on his rookie season without the burden of recovering from the knee. 

 

Its speculative and forecasting his trajectory, but I don't think its without merit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Totally disagree there. Accuracy is suspect, yes!!! But he has plenty of arm strength, IMO. His issues border around his accuracy, deep or middle. However, if he has a guy with the catch radius of Hopkins, he just needs to be what Stafford was for Megatron, use that catch radius and get it to his vicinity. He has plenty of arm strength to lead a speedster like Fuller, and has done so several times over the last 2 years. 

 

Fine aspects of QBing like reading blitzes and making decisions under pressure, he has some ways to go when compared to Luck. 

I went back and watched some more clips of Watson and I see that he has a better arm than I gave him credit for.  During the combine I remembered the analysts mentioning his arm was not as good as other QBs in that draft based on ball velocity.  I think Watson's throws were around 49 MPH, while most throw in the mid-50s or higher.  But based on the clips I watched, his arm looks fine, it's more so the accuracy and QB fundamentals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

I went back and watched some more clips of Watson and I see that he has a better arm than I gave him credit for.  During the combine I remembered the analysts mentioning his arm was not as good as other QBs in that draft based on ball velocity.  I think Watson's throws were around 49 MPH, while most throw in the mid-50s or higher.  But based on the clips I watched, his arm looks fine, it's more so the accuracy and QB fundamentals.  

 

Oh yeah, this game, I can never forget. Great plays made by Watson and RW as well.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSWjOF-amHQ

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To early to classify him. He is regarded in Houston as on the wire. They must build a team around him or he is dust. The Texans in 2019 are no worry to Colts fans (but then they never were!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you guys are being too hard on him.   He started 6 games his rookie year and 16 last year.  

He's got a great TD/INT ratio for this early in his career.   

He completed over 68% of his passes last season.   Good accuracy.

QB rating was 103.0 his first season and 103.1 last year.   

He can certainly improve and that will happen if the Texans line improves.  

His number certainly show top 10 QB.   I'd put him in the 8-12 range.

 

image.png.8a1d9de3cc6b8561d2772a3cd5067695.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Myles said:

I think you guys are being too hard on him.   He started 6 games his rookie year and 16 last year.  

He's got a great TD/INT ratio for this early in his career.   

He completed over 68% of his passes last season.   Good accuracy.

QB rating was 103.0 his first season and 103.1 last year.   

He can certainly improve and that will happen if the Texans line improves.  

His number certainly show top 10 QB.   I'd put him in the 8-12 range.

 

image.png.8a1d9de3cc6b8561d2772a3cd5067695.png

 

He's definitely been the beneficiary of a great defense and having Hopkins to throw to.

 

I'd have to see him carry a mediocre team on his back into the playoffs the way Luck has in the past before I put him in the top-10 discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

He's definitely been the beneficiary of a great defense and having Hopkins to throw to.

 

I'd have to see him carry a mediocre team on his back into the playoffs the way Luck has in the past before I put him in the top-10 discussion.

I don't put him in the Luck class.   However he has been very good.   QB rating is flawed, but in the grand scheme of things it is very accurate.  103.1 is admirable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Myles said:

I think you guys are being too hard on him.   He started 6 games his rookie year and 16 last year.  

He's got a great TD/INT ratio for this early in his career.   

He completed over 68% of his passes last season.   Good accuracy.

QB rating was 103.0 his first season and 103.1 last year.   

He can certainly improve and that will happen if the Texans line improves.  

His number certainly show top 10 QB.   I'd put him in the 8-12 range.

 

image.png.8a1d9de3cc6b8561d2772a3cd5067695.png

Yeah I have him 10-12. He isn't very good or great but he is good. Luck is top 5 IMO heading into the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Caleb3502 said:

Watson had a pretty good year, 4165 yards (+551 rush yards) and 26 TDs (+5 Rush TDs) with 9 INTs.  He is a good game management QB.  He'll give you around 250 yards with a TD pass or two (only threw more than 2 TD passes in a game once last season: 5 TDs against Miami) and he'll scramble for some first downs.  His main issue is his arm.  He does not have great arm strength for deep throws and his accuracy falters at times.  He's a good enough QB with his athleticism to make the playoffs on a good team, especially with Hopkins to throw to.  He also did a good jon this year considering he dealt with an O-line that got him sacked 62 times.  However, I don't see him as a superstar or a top 10 QB.  He's definitely not a terrible QB, but right now he's more middle of the pack around 16th best QB.  

He's not as good as he was as a rookie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anybody would after standing behind that swiss cheese line he stood behind last year. Watson will be just fine.  I don't think he's Luck, but I do think he'll be better than Mariota and Dak Prescott.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't think anybody would after standing behind that swiss cheese line he stood behind last year. Watson will be just fine.  I don't think he's Luck, but I do think he'll be better than Mariota and Dak Prescott.

I think Watson is good too but not very good or great. Luck was behind a swiss cheese line from 2012-2014 and went 11-5 every year and a Title game. My words to Watson = welcome to how Luck felt haha . Luck now has a coach and a system where he can thrive LUCKILY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Watson is good too but not very good or great. Luck was behind a swiss cheese line from 2012-2014 and went 11-5 every year and a Title game. My words to Watson = welcome to how Luck felt haha . Luck now has a coach and a system where he can thrive LUCKILY. 

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him so of course there are kinks to work out. I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him, and I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

I actually like Watson and thought the Bears should've have drafted him instead of Trubisky. I said he was good, I just do not think he is very good or great yet. The Texans went 12-4 in 2012 and 9-7 in 2014. We had competition from them actually. Jags and Titans just stunk in those years so bad that people say our division stunk. Most divisions usually do just have 2 good teams, that is normal. The Pats never get criticized for playing in a terrible division but yet we always have. Makes no sense. Pats get a bye week every year because they have 5 automatic wins every year lol if not 6. They lose at Miami now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually like Watson and thought the Bears should've have drafted him instead of Trubisky. I said he was good, I just do not think he is very good or great yet. The Texans went 12-4 in 2012 and 9-7 in 2014. We had competition from them actually. Jags and Titans just stunk in those years so bad that people say our division stunk. Most divisions usually do just have 2 good teams, that is normal. The Pats never get criticized for playing in a terrible division but yet we always have. Makes no sense. Pats get a bye week every year because they have 5 automatic wins every year lol if not 6. They lose at Miami now and then.

I think what he's done so far has been pretty good.  As far as him being a fully developed QB of course he isn't there yet in this early stage.  But I can certainly see why people have a decent level of faith in him. I think I put him in the right pot in saying that right now he's somewhere around Mariota and Dak. He's not in the same pot as Luck. Personally I'm expecting him to have a pretty solid year 3.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think what he's done so far has been pretty good.  As far as him being a fully developed QB of course he isn't there yet in this early stage.  But I can certainly see why people have a decent level of faith in him. I think I put him in the right pot in saying that right now he's somewhere around Mariota and Dak. He's not in the same pot as Luck. Personally I'm expecting him to have a pretty solid year 3.

He's better than Mariota IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's better than Mariota IMO

Correct!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He's definitely been the beneficiary of a great defense and having Hopkins to throw to.

 

I don't think his defense has helped him put up good numbers. Hopkins has helped a lot but that is just one guy. If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

 

I agree with Myles and Krunk. Watson is not great but he is good enough. I'll take him as my quarterback. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a ton of potential. The Houston sports media is split on him. He still holds on to the ball too long (3.1 seconds) like Luck did and that with a poor OL (again, like Luck had) he is at a disadvantage. The Houston sportswriters jury is still out on him and the messy Texans organization is no help to his cause. If the Texans are mediocre this coming season there is no telling who will be on their roster and coaching staff at the season's end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah he'll entertain you with RedZone/SC Top 10 type plays, but he's not going to help win you a Lombardi. trash.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 By year 4-5 he could be a top 5. He has excellent physical tools, all you need to be great. He will get better at reading the defense because i believe he is very bright.
I have no doubt he will have the ability to lead a team to an AFC championship game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

 

That's definitely true, but he has things to get better on, also. And that's reasonable, he was a developmental passer coming in, and he's played a year and a half, mostly relying on natural ability. He has a long way to go still, but his playmaking and raw talent are desirable, and make it worth the time and effort to develop him. If they get it right, you're looking at a top 10 QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because he had a bad game against us in the playoffs does not mean he’s trash. That’s like chiefs fans saying Luck is trash because he played a bad game. His first 2 years have been amazing but he still needs to work on reading a blitz and the defense better. Also needs a better line which he can not control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

I don't think his defense has helped him put up good numbers. Hopkins has helped a lot but that is just one guy. If his OL improves, I expect better numbers from Watson. His OL has been dreadful.

 

I agree with Myles and Krunk. Watson is not great but he is good enough. I'll take him as my quarterback. 

You have Cousins so don't worry be happy homer simpson laughing GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seemed like all the top QB's torched the Colts last season. Watson, not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have Cousins so don't worry be happy homer simpson laughing GIF

 

You know what I think of Cousins. But I'll take Luck. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, runthepost said:

Just because he had a bad game against us in the playoffs does not mean he’s trash. That’s like chiefs fans saying Luck is trash because he played a bad game. His first 2 years have been amazing but he still needs to work on reading a blitz and the defense better. Also needs a better line which he can not control.

Watson is definitely not trash. If he had a stout OL he would easily be in the top 10. The 2019 Texans OL is still half full so Watson is not out of the woods yet and if they don't protect him again this year he may call David Carr for  travel advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, King Colt said:

he may call David Carr for  travel advise.

 

Or John Madden.  Remember how he couldn't fly last year because of his lung and had to take a bus to Jacksonville to play the Jags?

 

I've never heard of a player having to do that before.

 

If anything, the kid is tough.  I can't believe he was too hurt to fly in a plane, but he could start in an NFL game and beat that Jax defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL live on ESPN yesterday the panel put Watson in the same category as Luck. I just don't see it but maybe that's me being stubborn with how good I view Luck to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK if he's a top 10 QB.  Maybe borderline top 10. 

 

He's pretty hamstrung by his OL though.  Kind of experiencing the same issue Luck had in his early career.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, krunk said:

I think you're down selling him.  Had he not have gotten the ACL tear in year 1 the Texans were well on their way to the playoffs at the very least.  We were even scared to play the Texans with Watson behind center that year. Just so happens he tears his ACL the same week we were set to play. Year 2 for Watson still led them to the playoffs and a division crown.  The years you're talking about with Luck the division itself wasn't anywhere near as good as it is now.  I don't want to down play what Luck did but there were zero teams in the division who were any good.  The Texans were bad, The Jags were bad, and the Titans were bad.  There wasn't any resistance from any of those teams.  Since Watson hit the league our division has been much better than that time. Watson is a pretty good quarterback. It's very early for him so of course there are kinks to work out. I don't think Luck ever got sacked and hit as much as Watson did last year.

 

Hardly.....they were 3-4 when he went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As far as Kelly, you can’t deny the way he just takes the offense down the field. I don’t think his size is an issue. I think character and leadership are and he would have to really prove himself in the locker room to ever be seriously considered by Reich and Ballard. He’s done well enough so far but JB has earned his leadership on the team.
    • QB + LT should be a priority right now. QB for obvious reason. LT because Castonzo isn't getting younger and we experienced how important it is to protect your franchise signal caller. 
    • THe Colts FO has been so high on Jacoby, plus Ballard has said we have a really good team...we have literally painted ourselves in a corner now.  They may back him to the point as to not attempt to acquire another high pick at QB.
    • Chad Kelly has elite arm talent.  Like Mahomes-level arm talent.   Think he runs a 4.6 40 as well.  The kid has some elite attributes, he's just raw and a little undersized compared to Brissett. 
    • Man, watching that conference I just wanted to sit in a dark room in tears for a week or two...Sure, drastic reaction, yes. But Luck to me represented the kindest gentleman and leader for this organization. He is the guy everyone loves to root for imo. This really is having an effect on me right now. It shouldn't, but it is. I mean, it is just football after all. Sometimes you take for granted that your favorite player is always going to be out there. He might have setbacks and injuries, but somehow he's always going to be back out there. Never ever saw this coming...
  • Members

    • ScotColt

      ScotColt 11

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AZColtsAmbassador

      AZColtsAmbassador 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LockeDown

      LockeDown 2,130

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DarkSuperman87

      DarkSuperman87 3,635

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Jammer

      Jared Jammer 100

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,283

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • kornstar

      kornstar 169

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • presto123

      presto123 389

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Narcosys

      Narcosys 1,708

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WillyG

      WillyG 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...