Indianapolis Colts
BProland85

Imagine this offense with Melvin Gordon

I know Ballard won't likely trade for him, but just imagine this offense with a great RB like Gordon running behind this OL. Mack is good, I just have some reservations if he can stay healthy. Granted Gordon has had some of those came concerns at times. 

I wouldnt call Gordon great. He's only had one thousand yard season and before last year, never cracked four yards per carry. To me he's marginally better all around than Mack but has a much riskier injury history.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Sounds like he's going to hold out and/or demand a trade if he isn't signed before the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/11/melvin-gordons-agent-says-rb-prepared-to-sit-as-long-as-he-has-to/

No way Ballard would trade for Gordon.... but I'd be more than happy if he held out for our season opener at San Diego. :thmup:

I would too, I love beating teams at full strength but a win is a win in my eyes. That will be a tough game as it is.

Not only wouldn't Ballard trade for Gorden,  but I don't think Ballard ever wants a RB who wants to be paid as one of the top-5 RB's.     I think that's way, WAY more than Ballard ever wants to pay a running back.   The position is just not worth to Ballard.    It may be to other teams,  but not to CB.

I think Ballard wants to draft a quality RB in the 2nd, or more preferably 3rd or 4th round,  and get 4 good years out of them.    He'll re-sign them if he can,  but if the RB wants too much,  I see Ballard letting him walk, and he'll draft another.

Look what happened to the Rams.    Gurley was great,  right up until the moment he's not.   And now,  no one is quite sure what he'll be.     I don't Ballard EVER wants to get caught up in something like that.     Get a good solid RB.   Get the most you can out of them.   Re-sign him if you can.   And if not,  go draft another,  or sign one in free agency.     But Keep it Simple Stu**D!

• Like 4

Melvin Gordon said that Running Backs are not valued as much as other positions. It’s not that you’re devalued, the production doesn’t warrant the reward, There is only one RB I would give a big contract to and that is Saquon Barkley. 

On 7/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, BProland85 said:

I know Ballard won't likely trade for him, but just imagine this offense with a great RB like Gordon running behind this OL. Mack is good, I just have some reservations if he can stay healthy. Granted Gordon has had some of those came concerns at times. 

Yes, It's fun to imagine Gordon or any of the top RB's running behind our line.  Unfortunately it's not going to happen.  It looks like it's Mack for this year.  Most fans think he's pretty good.  Could he be great this year?  We will find out soon enough.  Sounds like Reich is looking for a great running game this year.  So it's up to Mack to perform.  I actually have more confidence in our OL holding up their end of goal.  Mack needs to stay healthy and do his part.  This should be his year to quiet the skeptics.  Let's hope he can.  

On 7/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard wants to draft a quality RB in the 2nd, or more preferably 3rd or 4th round,  and get 4 good years out of them.    He'll re-sign them if he can,  but if the RB wants too much,  I see Ballard letting him walk, and he'll draft another.

This ^^^

If there's one position that you're almost guaranteed to be able to find players that are at least serviceable in the middle rounds of the draft each and every year, it's RB.

It would be nice to have a superstar RB and have "triplets" like we did with Manning/Harrison/Edge, but I personally think it's smarter (cheaper) to have a committee of young decent RBs to rotate situationally like we had with Addai/Rhodes and currently have with Mack/Hines/Wilkins.

• Thanks 1

I think it just solidifies most peoples opinion , that running backs, are not worth the money, if you just platoon decent ones in a rotation. The fact that these players can hold out to so call hold the team "hostage", is not what you want for your team. I hope that this doesn't becomes, like the NBA,  a strictly players driven league, where  the team no longer has any say so, in shaping their team.