Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anything you want me to pay attention to at training camp?

Lawrence Owen

I'll be going to a few practice sessions at training camp this year.  Any of you going also?

I plan on doing some scouting of the team, mostly some of our unknowns, and see if I can get a feel for what we really have out there.  I'll be there the 25th, that's the date I'm doing something for a fan that cannot make it to training camp.  Caroline Cann and the Colts organization have set something up, so I can do this for that person.  While I'm there on that day, I'm hoping to get to speak to a few people, Colts and media both.

Any of you have anything specific you'd like me to check on, watch for, or ask if I get the chance?

Pretty excited to be able to do this, hope I can make at least this one fan's wish come true!  

(I'll explain what's going on in that area after it happens.  Reason's.)

• Like 3

I’d love to find out how they are using their LBers. Now that they have 3 starting caliber LBs in Leonard, Walker, and Okereke, I wonder if they’ll play 3 LBs on the field more. They didn’t seem to do that so much in 2018. 

Also id like to see how our rookies are progressing and how Braden Smith is progressing at RT. 

• Like 1

The usual stuff. Reps for young guys at crowded positions -- safety, corner, LB, WR, RB, etc. Who's rotating on the OL, who will be the backup LT/RT, how does Deon Cain look, can anyone block Justin Houston, etc. 

Edit: What are they doing with Devin Funchess and Parris Campbell?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I'll be going to a few practice sessions at training camp this year.  Any of you going also?

I plan on doing some scouting of the team, mostly some of our unknowns, and see if I can get a feel for what we really have out there.  I'll be there the 25th, that's the date I'm doing something for a fan that cannot make it to training camp.  Caroline Cann and the Colts organization have set something up, so I can do this for that person.  While I'm there on that day, I'm hoping to get to speak to a few people, Colts and media both.

Any of you have anything specific you'd like me to check on, watch for, or ask if I get the chance?

Pretty excited to be able to do this, hope I can make at least this one fan's wish come true!  

Cann is gone sadly - she went to Carolina, she was the Kelly Crull to what the Cubs have. Just keep us updated on Luck's health and play + how TY looks, that is the main key to us being great. Nelson and Leonard are real young, not worried about them. Thanks my friend. 

Right now the position the interests me the most would be the CB position. Desir, Moore, Wilson, Ya-Sin, Hairston, Milton, Collins, and Tell plus udfa and try outs. That is a pretty crowded position group and someone is either going to get cut or traded so I will be curious to see who is getting playing time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Look forward to your reports.   The biggest enigma I think is EJ speed.   I’m not expecting much this year but any info on him will be appreciated 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cann is gone sadly - she went to Carolina, she was the Kelly Crull to what the Cubs have. Just keep us updated on Luck's health and play + how TY looks, that is the main key to us being great. Nelson and Leonard are real young, not worried about them. Thanks my friend. 

I know Cann left.  But we had this meeting set up 3 months ago prior to her leaving the organization.  She kept her word on this, even after she left, she set this up between me and the Colts.  Great woman.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

The interior D line and if any of the UDFA d linemen are flashing.

Thanks in advance Lawrence.

Yeah, I have personal interest in Shippy myself.  Even if he is slightly undersized for the NT role.  He and I have spoken right before the Colts signed him, and have been following him closely ever since.

• Like 1

Just a FYI for training camp. The defense usually looks awful in my opinion. But it makes sense, they don't play at full go. So it makes things seem a little off balance. But it's a fun time. I love going to training camp!

59 minutes ago, MTC said:

I'm definitely interested to see the cornerbacks with Jalen Collins, Quincy Wilson, Rock Ya-Sin, and Marvell Tell. 

P.S. Caroline Cann moved to Carolina as the Panthers team reporter. 

Yeah, check my reply 2 post's above yours. :)

11 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

The entire eyes of the NFL will be focused sharply on West 56th Street and who makes the roster as long snapper for the Indianapolis Colts

5 years...almost $5 mil...If Luke Rhodes loses his spot,...it'll be to the best LS ever...lol.

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I want to know how Rock Ya-Sin, Okereke, and Campbell are doing.

53 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would say WR and CB would my two areas of interest.

I too, will be there on the 3rd and 4th of August and will be watching those two position groups closely!

On what date are the Browns going to be there?

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, you would have thought they would have hired someone new by now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I want to know how Rock Ya-Sin, Okereke, and Campbell are doing.

On what date are the Browns going to be there?

The Browns are there the last week of training camp August 14,15. I’ll be there and the game Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me, WR. It's the position with the most newbies with a chance to start from day 1, or 2 lol. 

Specifically,

1) Where are they lining up Campbell. I think we all assumed slot would be his home, but Ballard spent time talking about him needing to learn how to play "outside". 

2) Where is Funch lining up, and what routes is he running. Are they prioritizing the routes that they published (that he was successful at), or are they trying him out all over field. Also, how much time is he getting at bully/big-slot?

3) Anything on Cain if he returns

4) What position do they have Dulin taking reps at?

5) Anything on Fountain's performance. They've talked a lot about his route running has improved. Is it true, and is he catching well.

6) Guessing we'll also get a peak at Campbell and Dulin in returns. Very interested in how both are doing. And are cutting back on Rogers and Pascal's time?

• Like 1

I'm thinking of going to camp on the 25th as well.

Top things I'm interested in:

1. Banogu and his usage.  How much OLB?  How much DE?  How much does it affect the usage of the other players at those positions?

2. Rock Ya-Sin's development.  How soon does he project as a starter, and how does that affect the veterans, esp Wilson?

3. Funchess development time with Luck.

4. Campbell's growth, and how will we use him?

• Like 1