Jump to content
Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!
Shadow_Creek

Free Style QB's vs Micro Managed QB's

Recommended Posts

So i read an article how Aron Rogers stated that he wanted full control of his offense going into this year because obviously Mike McCarthy didn't allow him to thrive. This got me to remembering back during the pagano luck era how Luck at first was being micro managed until we would be down by many points then pags would give luck free range and of course due to that luck had many comebacks. I also remember a certain QB we all knew as johnny football how his coach tried to micro manage him and because he didn't listen he won the game from free styling but got benched afterwards for not listening to the coach. Now as for Brady i believe that bb trust him to freestyle it as he sees fit and even though i dont want to admit it they have won many Superbowls because of the freelance so my question is do freestyle QB'S thrive more than mirco managed ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady is NOT a free style qb.

 

Luck was NOT a micro-managed qb.

 

As for Johnny Football?   Johnny Manziel?   He didn’t play enough for a variety of reasons to read too much of anything into his career.   It was over almost before it began.

 

Ive followed football for over 50 years.  Though I think I know what you’re trying to say, I’ve never heard the expressions of “free style” or “micro-managed” used for quarterbacks.  

 

Just sayin...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brady is NOT a free style qb.

 

Luck was NOT a micro-managed qb.

 

As for Johnny Football?   Johnny Manziel?   He didn’t play enough for a variety of reasons to read too much of anything into his career.   It was over almost before it began.

 

Ive followed football for over 50 years.  Though I think I know what you’re trying to say, I’ve never heard the expressions of “free style” or “micro-managed” used for quarterbacks.  

 

Just sayin...

 

what i mean by freestyle is being able to call your own plays similar to Peyton Manning. I'm sure Brady didn't go his who career not calling his own plays. Now micro mange is when a coach makes the QB go strictly by the plays he calls only 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Manged? Like the QB has mange? 

 

 

lol sorry i need to re edit the title to managed haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

what i mean by freestyle is being able to call your own plays similar to Peyton Manning. I'm sure Brady didn't go his who career not calling his own plays. Now micro mange is when a coach makes the QB go strictly by the plays he calls only 

I think you mean call his own audibles instead of "freestyling". If he sees the need to change the play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

So i read an article how Aron Rogers stated that he wanted full control of his offense going into this year because obviously Mike McCarthy didn't allow him to thrive. This got me to remembering back during the pagano luck era how Luck at first was being micro managed until we would be down by many points then pags would give luck free range and of course due to that luck had many comebacks. I also remember a certain QB we all knew as johnny football how his coach tried to micro manage him and because he didn't listen he won the game from free styling but got benched afterwards for not listening to the coach. Now as for Brady i believe that bb trust him to freestyle it as he sees fit and even though i dont want to admit it they have won many Superbowls because of the freelance so my question is do freestyle QB'S thrive more than mirco managed ones?

 

 

Pagano did a lot of things wrong while he was here, but micro managing luck was never one of them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

what i mean by freestyle is being able to call your own plays similar to Peyton Manning. I'm sure Brady didn't go his who career not calling his own plays. Now micro mange is when a coach makes the QB go strictly by the plays he calls only 

 

Jonny Manziel calling his own plays? Good gosh, that guy could not read a high school defense, not to mention an NFL defense. How could he call his own plays then, lol. :)

 

Manning had an offensive coordinator put in his brain, he was one of a kind. No one did and no one will call plays "similar" to him. Peyton actually DID call his own plays here and there (but even him, less frequently than you would think). Rogers and Brady don't call their plays. What they do is they receive multiple plays from the sideline, one being the primary play, others are alternatives, and they check out to one of the alternatives according to their reads. Luck does similar things. Actually, he's been doing it since his rookie year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

also remember a certain QB we all knew as johnny football how his coach tried to micro manage him and because he didn't listen he won the game from free styling but got benched afterwards for not listening to the coach

 

When i first read this i was thinking Unitas against Shula until it said the qb got benched, but Shula got the boot because  they didn't get along, right? 

It is before my time but i think i read it in Fatso or someone else's biography.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

what i mean by freestyle is being able to call your own plays similar to Peyton Manning. I'm sure Brady didn't go his who career not calling his own plays. Now micro mange is when a coach makes the QB go strictly by the plays he calls only 

 

QBs who get the freedom to make changes and even call plays on the field are just generally better QBs. Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning got that freedom because they're really good. Johnny Manziel didn't get that kind of freedom because he wasn't a good QB, lacked discipline, and hadn't earned his stripes.

 

So I think your premise is flawed, even backward. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Superman said:

 Johnny Manziel didn't get that kind of freedom because he wasn't a good QB, lacked discipline,

 

tenor.gif?itemid=12150128

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as times goes and your allowed more freedom, you're allowed to make calls from what you see on the field for example Brees and Peyton im sure take each others suggestion on creating the game plan. Micro manage I think is more for rookies and inexperienced QBs. I remember watching peyton say he learned this from Rich Gannon when the OC calls a play in the headset that peyton didn't like, he would say I can't hear you and the headset goes off. Interesting part in that story, he doesn't advise young QBs to do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most (maybe not the greenest rookies but most vets) get some freedom to audible at the line.

 

I think what we often discuss is to what extent that they are able to audible.  Say what library of plays they can audible to.  

 

I'm not sure it's true but it felt like Manning could audible to any play in the playbook.  Although I sometimes think 75% of what he was saying was junk ment to confuse the defense or try to make them overthink everything.   Sort of like how I understand that the Navaho Wind-talkers when used in WW2.  My understanding is not every communication they sent out was meaningful, a lot of it was just chatting.  The effect of this was to make it harder to figure out their language (and thus the code) and in a sense force the enemy to overthink it all.  

 

Other QB's might only get to pick from a couple plays to audible to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think most (maybe not the greenest rookies but most vets) get some freedom to audible at the line.

 

I think what we often discuss is to what extent that they are able to audible.  Say what library of plays they can audible to.  

 

I'm not sure it's true but it felt like Manning could audible to any play in the playbook.  Although I sometimes think 75% of what he was saying was junk ment to confuse the defense or try to make them overthink everything.   Sort of like how I understand that the Navaho Wind-talkers when used in WW2.  My understanding is not every communication they sent out was meaningful, a lot of it was just chatting.  The effect of this was to make it harder to figure out their language (and thus the code) and in a sense force the enemy to overthink it all.  

 

Other QB's might only get to pick from a couple plays to audible to.  

 

There were definitely phantom calls. And some of it was the play, some was the protection, some was the snap count. And it changed regularly, from series to series at times.

 

But I think the playbook was very simple, and they relied on superior execution. And that mostly worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think most (maybe not the greenest rookies but most vets) get some freedom to audible at the line.

 

I think what we often discuss is to what extent that they are able to audible.  Say what library of plays they can audible to.  

 

I'm not sure it's true but it felt like Manning could audible to any play in the playbook.  Although I sometimes think 75% of what he was saying was junk ment to confuse the defense or try to make them overthink everything.   Sort of like how I understand that the Navaho Wind-talkers when used in WW2.  My understanding is not every communication they sent out was meaningful, a lot of it was just chatting.  The effect of this was to make it harder to figure out their language (and thus the code) and in a sense force the enemy to overthink it all.  

 

Other QB's might only get to pick from a couple plays to audible to.  

 

I know i read or heard from the colts site or the indy star that Tom Moore would give PM 3 plays to pick from before he went to the line and PM would choose the play after looking at the opposing D.  I wouldn't doubt it though if he could audible to the whole playbook.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...