Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coltsfeva

Cris Simms ranks Luck as #4 QB

Recommended Posts

  Behind

Rogers

Mahomes

Wilson

 

He’s got Brady at #9 and Brees at #10. 

 

 In general, “ranking teams or players” before a season starts is so subjective that I don’t give it much weight.

  But I was more interested in his comments about Luck not throwing “lasers”. Is there any validity to that? If it is true, will we see more zip on the ball this year?

 

 

As far as his list, I’m with Warner, you can’t put Brees and Brady at 9 and 10. 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/06/26/kurt-warner-rips-chris-simms/amp/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He explained why he put brees and Brady so low. It actually made sense. He said he loved the NE system more then he loved the QB.  He also mentioned both of them getting older. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Throwing BBZ is about the accurate QB we were SOLD pre-draft about Andrew.
  Harbaugh was the P.T. Barnum of his time.
  High, behind, Late was who he was. His legs and will to win were better than his pocket throwing skills. 
   Andrew is as robotic as any i have ever seen. You do what you gotta do.
  The good news is he still wants to do what it takes to be as good as he can be, he is a GREAT Team guy, and he is being surrounded by top notch coaching and players of high character. It reminds me of Elway's path.
  Andrew threw more "laser accurate passes" than ever before last season, and with better skilled receivers, Frank and his system getting in Andrew's head, and practice practice practice, i believe an ever increasing number of laser's are coming. It is going to be a BLAST to watch.
Andrew has a situation building to put him at the top of discussion for 2019 MVP.
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Chris Simms missed our Week 17 game against the Titans where Luck scrambled and fired an absolute laser to Dontrelle Inman in the endzone for a touchdown. He threw lasers in both of the Tennessee games.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

  Behind

Rogers

Mahomes

Wilson

 

He’s got Brady at #9 and Brees at #10. 

 

 In general, “ranking teams or players” before a season starts is so subjective that I don’t give it much weight.

  But I was more interested in his comments about Luck not throwing “lasers”. Is there any validity to that? If it is true, will we see more zip on the ball this year?

 

 

As far as his list, I’m with Warner, you can’t put Brees and Brady at 9 and 10. 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/06/26/kurt-warner-rips-chris-simms/amp/

 

 

 

 

I get the Brady part as @Chloe6124 already explained, but that doesn't explain Brees. Brees was spectacular last year. Even if you think it's because he plays in the Saints' system, the Saints' system is definitely not better than the Patriots' system, and Brees far outproduced Brady last year even though Brady has a better system. Brees is personally a top 3 QB for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

I get the Brady part as @Chloe6124 already explained, but that doesn't explain Brees. Brees was spectacular last year. Even if you think it's because he plays in the Saints' system, the Saints' system is definitely not better than the Patriots' system, and Brees far outproduced Brady last year even though Brady has a better system. Brees is personally a top 3 QB for me

 

Brees is the NO system. That offense became top notch the moment he got there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard someone criticize Luck's mechanics until now. I'm no QB expert but I have always heard you want your QB to throw over the top as much as possible. In other words no 3/4 or side arm throws. Luck has one of the best motions I have ever seen.  And as others have stated when he wants let it rip he can do so with the best of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigQungus said:

 

I get the Brady part as @Chloe6124 already explained, but that doesn't explain Brees. Brees was spectacular last year. Even if you think it's because he plays in the Saints' system, the Saints' system is definitely not better than the Patriots' system, and Brees far outproduced Brady last year even though Brady has a better system. Brees is personally a top 3 QB for me

I agree.   He has Brees far too low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees might be low but I don't think Brady is.  At this point Brady himself isn't that great, his team is though and he plays well within their system.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, throwing BBZ said:

 Throwing BBZ is about the accurate QB we were SOLD pre-draft about Andrew.
  Harbaugh was the P.T. Barnum of his time.
  High, behind, Late was who he was. His legs and will to win were better than his pocket throwing skills. 
   Andrew is as robotic as any i have ever seen. You do what you gotta do.
  The good news is he still wants to do what it takes to be as good as he can be, he is a GREAT Team guy, and he is being surrounded by top notch coaching and players of high character. It reminds me of Elway's path.
  Andrew threw more "laser accurate passes" than ever before last season, and with better skilled receivers, Frank and his system getting in Andrew's head, and practice practice practice, i believe an ever increasing number of laser's are coming. It is going to be a BLAST to watch.
Andrew has a situation building to put him at the top of discussion for 2019 MVP.
  

 

This code is going to take more scientists than Chernobyl to crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, coltsfeva said:

 

 

 

As far as his list, I’m with Warner, you can’t put Brees and Brady at 9 and 10. 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/06/26/kurt-warner-rips-chris-simms/amp/

 

 

 

I think you can argue it if you remove team, team mates, coaching, etc from the equation.  Tommy and Drew have been in those systems, with those coaches for like 100 years now.  All things equal, their age would  show.  I wonder what Manning would have been ranked his last couple years?  Certainly not up there where he was.  I'd love to see Brees and Brady go to a new team that isnt set up for them like their current teams are.  We'd see a whole other animal i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, Chloe6124 said:

He explained why he put brees and Brady so low. It actually made sense. He said he loved the NE system more then he loved the QB.  He also mentioned both of them getting older. 

Hmmm. What i said b4 i sawthis.

Think Chris needs a co-host? I could throw in some of my wonderful jokes that all here appreciate so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brees is better than Luck (I hate to admit) but not Wilson. 

 

There are so many criterion that goes into that kind of statement that it's impossible to say anyone is right, wrong, or nuts.

 

Bottom line, every great QB is somewhat of a "system" QB.  So it comes down to their team's effectiveness with them at the helm.  It's hard to argue against Brady in that case.  Brees has never taken his team any further than Wilson, and only one game better than Luck if I'm not mistaken.

 

So, by that logic, you're correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

 

There are so many criterion that goes into that kind of statement that it's impossible to say anyone is right, wrong, or nuts.

 

Bottom line, every great QB is somewhat of a "system" QB.  So it comes down to their team's effectiveness with them at the helm.  It's hard to argue against Brady in that case.  Brees has never taken his team any further than Wilson, and only one game better than Luck if I'm not mistaken.

 

So, by that logic, you're correct.

To your post, that is why many think Peyton is the best ever because Peyton was the system. He called his own plays the majority of the time and went to 4 SB's with 4 different coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brees is better than Luck (I hate to admit) but not Wilson. 

Not to open up a can of worms but Wilson has never been better than Luck in reality except when Luck was injured in 2017. Wilson won a SB so some think that haha . Put Luck on the Seahawks when Luck was playing in 2013, they might of went 19-0 with that defense and RB lol. Luck would've never threw an INT to lose a SB either, JMO. Wilson is great though but he isn't Luck. Luck needs to win a SB so people quit this nonsense lmao 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

There are so many criterion that goes into that kind of statement that it's impossible to say anyone is right, wrong, or nuts.

 

Bottom line, every great QB is somewhat of a "system" QB.  So it comes down to their team's effectiveness with them at the helm.  It's hard to argue against Brady in that case.  Brees has never taken his team any further than Wilson, and only one game better than Luck if I'm not mistaken.

 

So, by that logic, you're correct.

 

Luck elevated every Colts team he's been on. Evidence by what happened when he was gone the one year. 

 

Wilson is good, don't get me wrong (I also happen to think he throws the best spiral in the game) but Wilson has benefited from a great team (defense in his case) around him to help ascend him and get him to SB's. Same as brady, he has benefited from a great team/coach around him his entire carrier. 

 

Luck on the other hand will put the entire team on his back and carry them, regardless if the rest of the team or coach is trash or not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually kind of agree with what he says about Luck's throwing motion. It's not bad, not Leftwich wind up bad or anything. However to me it just seems like it takes him a little longer to get the ball out than most other QB's. Almost like it gives the defense an extra half second to see that he's making a throw. The part about bad weather is something I've thought about since the KC game too, but I don't have a good enough memory to recall how Luck has looked in other poor condition games.

I think he can throw heaters just fine though. He doesn't do it as often as Mahomes or Rodges, but he's shown capability to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with what he said about Luck.  I think Luck is top 5 easily.

 

However, his throwing motion at times last year, and especially the last 2 games or so, really looked off to me.  He wasn't throwing it.  He was guiding it.  He would hunch down low and almost slow mo the ball to the target with a real over hand style.  He wasn't just throwing it, just zinging it....he was trying to place it and that won't win in the NFL.  At least not for a long period.

 

Hopefully that is just him getting arm weary towards the end of the year and not anything major to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The 2021 draft is going to be such a mess with college conferences cancelling seasons. Some are moving seasons to spring then going to expect them to play again in the fall. How many will opt out of the spring session and only play fall. What about guys who red one more year removed from HS to be eligible fir the draft. Will it force guys like Trevor Lawrence to stay in school a extra year. I am not sure how a draft will even be able to ge done in 2021. A lot of players are going to be losing a lot of money if they opt out and enter the draft. 
    • LOL. Did you watch any of the games last season?   Also, Okereke is 6-1, 235 lbs, basically the same size as Patrick Willis and Luke Keuchly, except with longer arms and also runs a 4.58 40. I’d take the increased arm length and athleticism over 0.0001 centimeters in height any day. 
    • I think S depth may trump OL depth right now.  Hooker's battled injuries most of his career and the fact he wasn't extended and given some of Ballard's pressers (basically saying Hooker's play dropped off throughout the year in 2019 and he wasn't playing to his level of expectations) and the fact we drafted Blackmon in Rd 3 lead me to believe the FO/Coaching Staff is getting ready to move on from him.     Willis played well as a rookie, but I still see him as a guy who is just about at his ceiling given his limited athleticism.  Rutledge looks like a playmaker but he went undrafted for a reason and he's a rookie coming from a small school, so it'd be hard to expect him to adjust to the NFL right away, especially given this weird off season.  I like Odum more as a STer than a full-time starting safety should we have an injury to Hooker or Willis. Then Tell, while I don't blame him, opting out, IMO, was a big blow to our entire secondary as he was developing nicely at CB but has the versatility to play S if needed (I don't know any of our current corners have that ability, maybe Rhodes).     OL depth is still concerning, but it sounds like Pinter is really impressing coaches as a rookie and I think Clark is versatile enough to be a solid stop gap at G or T if needed.  Hopefully Patterson is back to full health as a backup C (sounds like Big Q or Pinter would be next in line at C if needed).  I guess, I think we're so strong with our starting OL (with Glowinski being the weak link, but not really that weak of a link) that I feel like a single replacement there would not be as devastating to one of our starting S going down right now.  Regardless, it'd be nice to have a few more guys competing across the OL.
    • It has to be odd signing FAs now, since teams aren't allowed to work them out.  I guess one would hope that these guys have been keeping themselves in shape throughout the offseason, but it'd still be nice to be able to work them out before signing them.   Safety now is, IMO, the team's biggest concern.  I think we're fine w/ Hooker and Willis as starters, though Hooker's had injury issues throughout his time in the NFL (and prior).  I like Odum, but like him more as a STer than a guy we have to rely on being a starter for an extended time if one of our top 2 go down.  Then Blackmon is still on the injured list, and I don't expect him to be full strength to the middle of the season (if not later).  The UDFA, Rutledge, was a playmaker but from a small school and went undrafted for a reason, so I'm not too sure that we should expect anything out of him in terms of being reliable if he had to play a lot of minutes.   Geathers is still a FA and I know Ballard really seemed to like him.  I'm wondering if him not being signed or brought up in discussion is a health issue (i.e., can't pass a physical), a major health concern (given his injury history), demanding too much $, or if the team has simply moved on from him.    Personally, I like the fact we're looking at Tavon Wilson, he's a former 2nd round draft pick who had his best NFL year last season, starting 13 games in Detroit and recording 98 tackles, 2 fumble recovers and 5 passes defended.  
    • So someone infected coughs in your face but you can’t catch the virus from them because they didn’t cough in your face for the contractually obligated 15 minutes it takes to infect... 
  • Members

    • B~Town

      B~Town 674

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 579

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PureLuck

      PureLuck 160

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 9,839

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 603

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 7,759

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • rock8591

      rock8591 1,144

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 1,757

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtMan

      ColtMan 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 1,540

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...