Indianapolis Colts
tucky89

OT: Would an NHL Team Work in Indianapolis?

Would you embrace the sport? Do you think tax payers would be open to helping fund a new stadium? How do you think they would rank in popularity compared to the Pacers & Colts?

I think it would be great to get a team in the city. Indy fans seem to really live and breathe with their teams.

The Indy Fuel (Blackhawks Minor Team) is already here and they don't exactly pack the stands 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Would you embrace the sport? Do you think tax payers would be open to helping fund a new stadium? How do you think they would rank in popularity compared to the Pacers & Colts?

I think it would be great to get a team in the city. Indy fans seem to really live and breathe with their teams.

No. We have had a semi-pro team for years and nobody even cares. Same with why we won’t have an MLB team, not enough interest and market size is tiny

I live in Fort Wayne. I remember going to Indy a bunch when the Fort Wayne Komets would play the Indy Ice. That was a fun rivalry. Always tons of fights.

Doubtful. Never for baseball. Surrounded by too many other MLB teams. But maybe our soccer team could move up to MLS one day?  I think they’re our best bet for another major sports franchise in Indy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Introspect said:

MODS... Shut this down

Thanks

Why should it be shut down? 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tucky89 said:

Why should it be shut down? 

Doesn't need to be shut down but should be moved to the appropriate forum

• Like 2

We will never have a Pro hockey team or a baseball team. Market is too small. Most people are Cubs or Reds fans anyway that live here. Chicago and Cincy are close to here. I have been a Cubs fan since 1984 and that will never change. Regarding hockey I barely follow it and most people I know don't follow it all.

• Like 1

As a lifelong NHL fan dating back to the "Original Six".... IMO, the NHL has over-expanded as it is. I'd have liked to seen the league cap expansion at 24 teams and keep the talent level really concentrated.

As far as Indy ever having a team.... you guys are sandwiched in a region clustered with very entrenched franchises like the Blackhawks, Redwings, the Cup Champion Blues.... and with relative newbies Columbus and Nashville siphoning whatever fan interest there is in those markets. 

It just seems very risky that there's enough of a fan base in Indy to even try it.... quite a few NHL franchises have failed in other places.

For perspective..... the Coyotes have had a rough go of it financially in Phoenix... a far bigger market. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/11/02/the-arizona-coyotes-fall-to-bankruptcy-find-new.html

• Like 4

Huge NHL fan as well. Doubt Indy can  compete with Columbus and Nashville...let the established fan bases.

• Like 1

Yes but they play in one of the worst parts of town. If they built that stadium in Greenwood I guarantee it would have filled out every night

Indianapolis struggles to support the three pro teams (Colts, Pacers, and Fever) they have at times.  I don’t know if they could support a fourth team but I have a feeling if they do get a fourth team it’s going to be a MLS team rather than NHL team.  The city has really embraced the 11 and they are trying badly to be a MLS team.  For the record I am not a soccer fan in the slightest and have never been to an 11 game and would much rather watch hockey than soccer.  I am just saying what I see.