Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Quarterbacks & Practice Squad Players

Shadow_Creek

During the Peyton Manning era we all witnessed one of the greatest QBS to ever grace us with his presence. However there was another QB that i noticed who was the back up and we all know him as Jim Sorgi who i wish had stayed till 2011 because then we would have seen a full season of what he could do. its kind of sad really when a QB who may have some potential join a team that already has a franchise QB because they either stay till there traded or they just end up holding a clipboard the rest of there career unless the starter goes down with some kind of injury. Then there are your practice squad players a team has through out the season.Are they getting a decent salary? and I wonder if there role is only to be decoys for the starting unit for play scenarios? 

:lol: I like Jim Sorgi, but he never really even looked good in pre season games. He was really good at breaking down film with Peyton. That is the reason he stayed around so long. That, and no other QB wanted to be his backup because they would never see the field. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

:lol: I like Jim Sorgi, but he never really even looked good in pre season games. He was really good at breaking down film with Peyton. That is the reason he stayed around so long. That, and no other QB wanted to be his backup because they would never see the field. 

This is true. If we didn't have Andrew, Walker would be the back up or he should be. Tolzien sucked. 

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have always been a fan of Phillip Walker. I know at best he is a back up in this league but I like him :thmup:

suppose we dont keep jacoby after this year between walker and Kelly (if he keeps outta trouble) who do you see as our newest backup QB? i too like walker but Kelly at times looked like a pro veteran behind the center

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

suppose we dont keep jacoby after this year between walker and Kelly (if he keeps outta trouble) who do you see as our newest backup QB? i too like walker but Kelly at times looked like a pro veteran behind the center

I like Walker. I would trust him for 1 game against a mediocre team = .500 team/8-8 if Luck did miss 1 game. 

1 hour ago, ar1888 said:

I would love that position! No fear of getting injured, get publicity of being a player, its even better than Punter and Kicker, and you know thats hard for me to sayhaha

I can’t wait to see Kelly to see what the love affair is with this guy.  Everything I’ve seen screams knucklehead who’s screw ups have far surpassed his talent.  Now nepotism is getting him another shot.  Could be his last. So he better light it up this preseason. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I would love that position! No fear of getting injured, get publicity of being a player, its even better than Punter and Kicker, and you know thats hard for me to sayhaha

Don’t be too sure.  Didn’t Sorgi get injured coming off the bus one year?

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Don’t be too sure.  Didn’t Sorgi get injured coming off the bus one year?

I thought he had a sore arm when he did get a chance to play. The Colts had to sign another quarterback to play for the sore armed Sorgi.

13 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I can’t wait to see Kelly to see what the love affair is with this guy.  Everything I’ve seen screams knucklehead who’s screw ups have far surpassed his talent.  Now nepotism is getting him another shot.  Could be his last. So he better light it up this preseason. 

I think Ballard is a forward thinking GM.  One step ahead of everyone else.  I think he brought in Kelly to potentially be Lucks new backup QB in the event he has the opportunity to trade Jacoby this year.  He knows very well injuries to starting QB's happen a lot in the NFL.  Especially in the preseason and the early part of the year.  Jacoby will be showcased a lot this preseason and if the opportunity presents itself he will deal Jacoby and have Kelly ready in the wings.  If no injuries occur he has Jacoby for the year.  That's okay too.  But Ballard is now ready for any opportunity that might present itself.  That's one of his strengths IMO. 

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I thought he had a sore arm when he did get a chance to play. The Colts had to sign another quarterback to play for the sore armed Sorgi.

He never should've carried that clipboard with his throwing arm! :strong:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is a forward thinking GM.  One step ahead of everyone else.  I think he brought in Kelly to potentially be Lucks new backup QB in the event he has the opportunity to trade Jacoby this year.  He knows very well injuries to starting QB's happen a lot in the NFL.  Especially in the preseason and the early part of the year.  Jacoby will be showcased a lot this preseason and if the opportunity presents itself he will deal Jacoby and have Kelly ready in the wings.  If no injuries occur he has Jacoby for the year.  That's okay too.  But Ballard is now ready for any opportunity that might present itself.  That's one of his strengths IMO. 

so do you think we carry 4 QB's this season 2 in pratice squad and 2 on the team

During the Polian era we never had a decent backup due to 1. Too much money invested elsewhere, and II. Peyton didn't miss any games - until well, he did. Lol

Also during the Polian era our PS was straight up a JV Team at best. 

Grigson had Hasselbeck, so he at least got one thing right.

Ballard and company seem to believe that having a backup that could actually operate an NFL offense is a worthwhile investment. Brissett and Kelly (provided he sticks) are good examples.

Ballard's practice squads have actually had players play AND contribute to both the Colts and other teams as well. HUGE upgrade there between the different era's.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Love affair?     He’s getting a shot at the practice squad and this translates into a love affair?    Seriously?

What the Colts are hoping for is that his knucklehead days are over and his talent begins to show.   The kid has talent.   That’s nit in dispute.   The question is...  can he grow up, mature and leave his past in the past.

If he does,  maybe the Colts and Kelly have a future?   It’s worth exploring.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Love affair?     He’s getting a shot at the practice squad and this translates into a love affair?    Seriously?

What the Colts are hoping for is that his knucklehead days are over and his talent begins to show.   The kid has talent.   That’s nit in dispute.   The question is...  can he grow up, mature and leave his past in the past.

Best case scenario is the Patriots model. Develop a backup who has no chance to beat out Luck, and trade him before they have to pay him.  

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

so do you think we carry 4 QB's this season 2 in pratice squad and 2 on the team

Assuming Jacoby is not traded before the start of the season he starts out as the backup. I think the only team interested in Walker is the Colts.  If Kelly is eligible for the practice squad I think he would go there before Walker.  If Kelly goes on the practice squad a team could sign him off of it.  He has proven he can play in the NFL with Denver so a team in need might actually sign him instead of trading for Brissett.  That's the dilemma.  If he has a good preseason the Colts might consider keeping three on the active roster to start.  It's a long shot but if he has a real strong preseason I wouldn't rule it out.  Both Jacoby and Kelly have a lot at stake this preseason.  Their  performances will determine if we have two real good backups or one. 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.  Love affair. Very seriously. He’s been talked about on this forum as if he’s a sure thing.  The only thing sure about him has been his screw ups.  I don’t mind kicking the tires on a player but this forum has already penciled him in as Brissett’s replacement. What other player with this many strikes would we give this chance?   

If he wasn’t the nephew of a Hall of Fame QB who just so happened to be former teammates of our current head coach would he be getting this opportunity?  So like I said (and was very serious about) he needs to light it up this preseason because everything surrounding him being on the roster wreaks of nepotism. If it’s about his skills and talent I expect to see it on the field this preseason. So fine let’s explore it but I hope he has to earn a spot and not have one given to him because his last name is Kelly and he’s in good with the coach...

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Yes.  Love affair. Very seriously. He’s been talked about on this forum as if he’s a sure thing.  The only thing sure about him has been his screw ups.  I don’t mind kicking the tires on a player but this forum has already penciled him in as Brissett’s replacement. What other player with this many strikes would we give this chance?   

If he wasn’t the nephew of a Hall of Fame QB who just so happened to be former teammates of our current head coach would he be getting this opportunity?  So like I said (and was very serious about) he needs to light it up this preseason because everything surrounding him being on the roster wreaks of nepotism. If it’s about his skills and talent I expect to see it on the field this preseason. So fine let’s explore it but I hope he has to earn a spot and not have one given to him because his last name is Kelly and he’s in good with the coach...

First.....    Kelly doesn’t have to light up anything.   He just has to better than Phillip Walker.    That’s it.    Better than Walker gets Kelly a spot on the practice squad in 2019.   That’s it.  That’s all.

The thing about replacing Brissett has nothing to do with this year.   It has to do with next year — 2020.   And that only happens if we don’t re-sign JB to return as Luck’s back-up.   I’d peg us re-signing JB as roughly 50-50, maybe greater to returning.   But that’s hardly a lock. 

In other words, Kelly is miles away from becoming Luck’s backup.  Kelly has to....

1.   Beat Walker for the backup job.

2.   Do a good job on the PS and keep his nose clean.

3.   The Colts have to NOT re-sign JB.

4.   Colts have to believe Kelly can be a high quality backup.

Anyone predicting this is a likelihood is delusional.   It’s a long shot.  And I say that as someone who likes the idea of giving Kelly a shot at making the PS.  It’s still a long shot. 

There’s no love affair here.   Just a few overzealous fans....

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First.....    Kelly doesn’t have to light up anything.   He just has to better than Phillip Walker.    That’s it.    Better than Walker gets Kelly a spot on the practice squad in 2019.   That’s it.  That’s all.

The thing about replacing Brissett has nothing to do with this year.   It has to do with next year — 2020.   And that only happens if we don’t re-sign JB to return as Luck’s back-up.   I’d peg us re-signing JB as roughly 50-50, maybe greater to returning.   But that’s hardly a lock. 

In other words, Kelly is miles away from becoming Luck’s backup.  Kelly has to....

1.   Beat Walker for the backup job.

2.   Do a good job on the PS and keep his nose clean.

3.   The Colts have to NOT re-sign JB.

4.   Colts have to believe Kelly can be a high quality backup.

Anyone predicting this is a likelihood is delusional.   It’s a long shot.  And I say that as someone who likes the idea of giving Kelly a shot at making the PS.  It’s still a long shot. 

There’s no love affair here.   Just a few overzealous fans....

That makes sense.  I remember watching him at Ole Miss.  He should definitely be able to beat out Walker.  And I’m fine with him making the team as long as he “earns” it.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think very highly of Walker, or his potential. So in my mind, Kelly is competing for QB3, and has a good chance of winning it. 

The rest of your post is spot on, though. Kelly has to stay out of any trouble, be a good teammate, etc., just to make the practice squad this year. 

And while I think Brissett is leaving after this season, I also think the Colts will make him a generous offer, for a backup QB. So there's a chance that he doesn't go anywhere, in which case he remains QB2. But if Kelly is QB3 in 2019, he'd have a strong shot at replacing Brissett in 2020.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 1:02 PM, richard pallo said:

Overthinking it.

Really this simple - Brissett will be a Colt in 2019.  Kelly is only here to see if he can get on the PS this season and have a chance to back up Luck in 2020.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, Smoke317 said:

I'm sort of like this a little bit.

I think Kelly is being overrated because of his name.  

At the same time when I hear how big of a screw up he is and read his wikipedia page I'm kind of disappointed a little.   Here are the 3 things I see.  

1. Released from Clemson for conduct detremental to the team but doesn't specify what.  

2. Got in a bar fight with bouncers and got arrested

3. Trespassed

He's certainly no choir boy but with some of what other players in the NFL (not necessarily on the Colts mind you) have done and continue to play it sort of makes me shocked that Kelly got that label.  He wasn't driving while drunk or on drugs.  He wasn't beating up women or children.  Keep in mind also that the first two happened before the NFL for him.  

Don't get me wrong the kid needs to make some better decisions.  Just seems like there are a lot of players who have engaged in much worse that are still in the NFL.  

Also one of the things that makes me think he's a bit overrated.  If he's that talented a bar fight and being dismissed from Clemson (several years before the NFL) made him Mr. Irrelevant?  Then he gets a trespassing charge and the QB needy Broncos just let him go?