Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
HOF19

NFL.COM Top 25 QB's of all time. Peyton #3 Johnny U #4

Recommended Posts

Brady #1 Montana # 2 . I have been a Colts fan since early sixties so Johnny U will ALWAYS be not only my #1 QB of all-time but he is also my all-time #1 favorite athlete !.....Article link >>>>>> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035041/article/top-25-quarterbacks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure if you ask Peyton he will always put Johnny U above himself on any and all lists !

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

I am sure if you ask Peyton he will always put Johnny U above himself on any and all lists !

This article has already been posted earlier but thanks for posting it again. That is what makes lists fun and great. Most people disagree on where players should be ranked. 1 thing I do is, I am never biased when doing lists. I listed my top 10 ever on the other thread. Unitas being ranked 4th is accurate to me. Peyton was better but that is my opinion. Just like I think Magic was better than LeBron and some people disagree. A lot of it is eye test but a lot of it is statistics, MVP's won, and winning games period. Peyton is my favorite player ever but Brady being #1 is accurate. I have seen tons of film/video on Unitas and have watched Brady, Montana, Peyton live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booooooo! "Not true" news!

They will always be #1 and #2 in my heart.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unitas was the NFL QB on the First 50 Years list. I see it like I see George Washington. Without George being first and best President, we’d never have become the USA. Thus, Washington will ALWAYS be ranked the Best President on my list, regardless.  So, in my opinion, without Johnny U the NFL wouldn’t have become what it is.  I will ALWAYS rate Unitas First!!!!

 

I’d also rank Montana over that guy that plays in the NorthEast, too!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Unitas was the NFL QB on the First 50 Years list. I see it like I see George Washington. Without George being first and best President, we’d never have become the USA. Thus, Washington will ALWAYS be ranked the Best President on my list, regardless.  So, in my opinion, without Johnny U the NFL wouldn’t have become what it is.  I will ALWAYS rate Unitas First!!!!

 

I’d also rank Montana over that guy that plays in the NorthEast, too!  

Peyton was better than Unitas but that is my opinion. Both are top 5 ever so it is like splitting hairs in reality.

 

I have:

Brady 1

Montana 2

Peyton 3

Unitas 4

Elway 5

-That is the 5 best IMO based on eye test, MVP's, total wins, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton was better than Unitas but that is my opinion. Both are top 5 ever so it is like splitting hairs in reality.

 

I have:

Brady 1

Montana 2

Peyton 3

Unitas 4

Elway 5

-That is the 5 best IMO based on eye test, MVP's, total wins, etc..

Without Unitas, there may never have been a Peyton, so who is better is irrelevant IMO. (But Peyton is still my favorite Mr Nice Guy/Cerebral QB/Winner.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

Without Unitas, there may never have been a Peyton, so who is better is irrelevant IMO. (But Peyton is still my favorite Mr Nice Guy/Cerebral QB/Winner.)

Unitas was the 1st best pure pocket passer that I can remember seeing on film unless we include Otto Graham so I have tons of respect for Unitas. He is on anyone's top 5 list or he should be IMO. When it comes to Tom Brady I am sick of him winning it every year but unfortunately he is that great. KC should've never lost to them last year but of course Brady found a way to pull it out lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to rate AllTime anything's because of rules changes, athletes, training, refs, and eras

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

It's hard to rate AllTime anything's because of rules changes, athletes, training, refs, and eras

Yeah trying to compare the 60's to the 80's and 90's is really tough. The 2000's and beyond have had different training for players and we have better technology now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Brady we’re making impossible throws all over the field like the other QBs I would change my mind, but he just always makes the ordinary play and for that I can’t put him over the other greats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

It's hard to rate AllTime anything's because of rules changes, athletes, training, refs, and eras

 

Yeah, you really only can compare guys in their same era.  You can rate them all in total on how important/great they were in their era.  By that logic, it’s a good list.  

 

I’m with @HOF19, Jonny U will always be my favorite.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going by decades and what those QB's accomplished and how they played, rankings should probably be:

 

50'S

1. Johnny Unitas

2. Otto Graham

 

60's 

1. Bart Starr

2. Johnny Unitas

 

70's

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Roger Staubach

3. Fran Tarkenton

 

80's 

1. Joe Montana

2. John Elway

3. Dan Marino

 

90's 

1. John Elway

2. Brett Favre

3. Steve Young 

*4. Troy Aikman should be mentioned, he won 3 SB's

-That decade has some bad dudes at QB!

 

2000's (2000-2018 seasons)

1. Tom Brady

2. Peyton Manning

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Drew Brees

- I did this last one based on since 2000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Going by decades and what those QB's accomplished and how they played, rankings should probably be:

 

50'S

1. Johnny Unitas

2. Otto Graham

 

60's 

1. Bart Starr

2. Johnny Unitas

 

70's

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Roger Staubach

3. Fran Tarkenton

 

80's 

1. Joe Montana

2. John Elway

3. Dan Marino

 

90's 

1. John Elway

2. Brett Favre

3. Steve Young 

*4. Troy Aikman should be mentioned, he won 3 SB's

-That decade has some bad dudes at QB!

 

2000's (2000-2018 seasons)

1. Tom Brady

2. Peyton Manning

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Drew Brees

- I did this last one based on since 2000.

 

 

I believe that this is how QBs should be ranked if at all. And a QB should be ranked by his accomplishments not team accomplishments. If we are talking the greatest teams then I agree with using SBs to define greatness. But when comparing players it should be about their stats. 

 

I dont want to sound like a complete homer but Peyton changed the NFL of the 2000s arguably more than any QB in that time period. In the way he prepared, in the way he played, and using uptempo constantly unlike has ever been done. Johnny brought the pocket style here and Peyton took it to the next level. Something all colts fans should be ecstatic about. 

 

One stat that Brady doesn't have vs peyton is 4 SB appearances with a different head coach. As we have seen how important having the right coach is to win it all, the fact they peyton just so happened to be coached by these coaches and still made it, unlike any other player, says more about an individual player, than team accolades. This just rubs me the wrong way when people automatically put Brady first because he has 6 rings. "We" (some of us on the beards) were just talking about coaches and Bill being the GOAT. Who could argue? Not me. But I have no doubt that Bill carried these teams more so than anyone else in NE. But do I believe Brady could take 4 different coaches to the SB? No. 

 

If you compare the stats, it is close to the other elite QBs. Which means special traits should be what brings certain players above the rest. 

 

So what are these QBs special traits beyond what you have through practice? 

 

If you remember correctly, fans on these forums were starting to grumble about Dungys lack of success towards the end of his career. He just so happened to retire relatively soon after the grumbling began. Dungy was great

 Bill is better. How can people call a HC the greatest of all time, and then turn around and act like NE doesn't have that and say Brady is also the greatest using the exact same stat for both men to make that point...? 

 

I have seen Brady a fair share during the last 15 years, and he doesn't exude special qualities beyond knowing his system to a T, and executing it extremely well. He has the arm, and accuracy we have seen in many many QBs in this league for the last 25 years. We just saw what a scheme like theirs has done with Andrew. It has made him a better player. 

 

I have seen every one of peyton's games since 2003, and there was no one else like him around. Presnap like a genius, the quickest release kept and inept line from being completely horrible past 2008. In preparation (if you have seen the documentary on peyton you've seen a look into how he prepares) it was from passion. Being able to play uptempo non-stop for almost his entire career. He was the einstein of football. 

 

If you want to get really in depth and truly find out, you would have to compare every player, every positions stats Colts vs Patriots and see who had the better supporting cast. 

 

I think some people forget just how horrible the Colts defense was on a consistent basis through the 2000s.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

I believe that this is how QBs should be ranked if at all. And a QB should be ranked by his accomplishments not team accomplishments. If we are talking the greatest teams then I agree with using SBs to define greatness. But when comparing players it should be about their stats. 

 

I dont want to sound like a complete homer but Peyton changed the NFL of the 2000s arguably more than any QB in that time period. In the way he prepared, in the way he played, and using uptempo constantly unlike has ever been done. Johnny brought the pocket style here and Peyton took it to the next level. Something all colts fans should be ecstatic about. 

 

One stat that Brady doesn't have vs peyton is 4 SB appearances with a different head coach. As we have seen how important having the right coach is to win it all, the fact they peyton just so happened to be coached by these coaches and still made it, unlike any other player, says more about an individual player, than team accolades. This just rubs me the wrong way when people automatically put Brady first because he has 6 rings. "We" (some of us on the beards) were just talking about coaches and Bill being the GOAT. Who could argue? Not me. But I have no doubt that Bill carried these teams more so than anyone else in NE. But do I believe Brady could take 4 different coaches to the SB? No. 

 

If you compare the stats, it is close to the other elite QBs. Which means special traits should be what brings certain players above the rest. 

 

So what are these QBs special traits beyond what you have through practice? 

 

If you remember correctly, fans on these forums were starting to grumble about Dungys lack of success towards the end of his career. He just so happened to retire relatively soon after the grumbling began. Dungy was great

 Bill is better. How can people call a HC the greatest of all time, and then turn around and act like NE doesn't have that and say Brady is also the greatest using the exact same stat for both men to make that point...? 

 

I have seen Brady a fair share during the last 15 years, and he doesn't exude special qualities beyond knowing his system to a T, and executing it extremely well. He has the arm, and accuracy we have seen in many many QBs in this league for the last 25 years. We just saw what a scheme like theirs has done with Andrew. It has made him a better player. 

 

I have seen every one of peyton's games since 2003, and there was no one else like him around. Presnap like a genius, the quickest release kept and inept line from being completely horrible past 2008. In preparation (if you have seen the documentary on peyton you've seen a look into how he prepares) it was from passion. Being able to play uptempo non-stop for almost his entire career. He was the einstein of football. 

 

If you want to get really in depth and truly find out, you would have to compare every player, every positions stats Colts vs Patriots and see who had the better supporting cast. 

 

I think some people forget just how horrible the Colts defense was on a consistent basis through the 2000s.

 

Right.  If Brady went to a different team like the browns or bucs and never won a Super Bowl then he’s not the greatest?   Super Bowls are team events.  

 

I think mvps should carry much more weight in this conversation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

 

Right.  If Brady went to a different team like the browns or bucs and never won a Super Bowl then he’s not the greatest?   Super Bowls are team events.  

 

I think mvps should carry much more weight in this conversation.  

 

He isn't the greatest for sure, he a great of many. I personally dont believe in GOAT

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

I believe that this is how QBs should be ranked if at all. And a QB should be ranked by his accomplishments not team accomplishments. If we are talking the greatest teams then I agree with using SBs to define greatness. But when comparing players it should be about their stats. 

 

I dont want to sound like a complete homer but Peyton changed the NFL of the 2000s arguably more than any QB in that time period. In the way he prepared, in the way he played, and using uptempo constantly unlike has ever been done. Johnny brought the pocket style here and Peyton took it to the next level. Something all colts fans should be ecstatic about. 

 

One stat that Brady doesn't have vs peyton is 4 SB appearances with a different head coach. As we have seen how important having the right coach is to win it all, the fact they peyton just so happened to be coached by these coaches and still made it, unlike any other player, says more about an individual player, than team accolades. This just rubs me the wrong way when people automatically put Brady first because he has 6 rings. "We" (some of us on the beards) were just talking about coaches and Bill being the GOAT. Who could argue? Not me. But I have no doubt that Bill carried these teams more so than anyone else in NE. But do I believe Brady could take 4 different coaches to the SB? No. 

 

If you compare the stats, it is close to the other elite QBs. Which means special traits should be what brings certain players above the rest. 

 

So what are these QBs special traits beyond what you have through practice? 

 

If you remember correctly, fans on these forums were starting to grumble about Dungys lack of success towards the end of his career. He just so happened to retire relatively soon after the grumbling began. Dungy was great

 Bill is better. How can people call a HC the greatest of all time, and then turn around and act like NE doesn't have that and say Brady is also the greatest using the exact same stat for both men to make that point...? 

 

I have seen Brady a fair share during the last 15 years, and he doesn't exude special qualities beyond knowing his system to a T, and executing it extremely well. He has the arm, and accuracy we have seen in many many QBs in this league for the last 25 years. We just saw what a scheme like theirs has done with Andrew. It has made him a better player. 

 

I have seen every one of peyton's games since 2003, and there was no one else like him around. Presnap like a genius, the quickest release kept and inept line from being completely horrible past 2008. In preparation (if you have seen the documentary on peyton you've seen a look into how he prepares) it was from passion. Being able to play uptempo non-stop for almost his entire career. He was the einstein of football. 

 

If you want to get really in depth and truly find out, you would have to compare every player, every positions stats Colts vs Patriots and see who had the better supporting cast. 

 

I think some people forget just how horrible the Colts defense was on a consistent basis through the 2000s.

 

 Manning piled up passing $TAT$ to win MVP'S, and to the detriment of his D.

  His D's gave up about 1 more point per game in the Playoffs than his modern day Elite peers.

  Seven one and done's here after winning the Usually Sad AFC South was pathetic. And thank goodness we had the D AND running game to get him a SB win against Rex Grossman. 
 Who was that guy that pic sixed the genious to end the SB?

  Don't forget those Happy Feet and 100 INT's his 1st 5 seasons.

 YES, he watched more tape and threw more practice reps than anyone.

 And he had the same Offensive co-ordinator longer than anyone too.
 

 But he never got over not winning the Heisman and getting pulled from his last College game. He spent his career trying to prove he was the MVP.

 JMO that if he would have RUN the DAMN BALL more, we would have more than 1 SB with him. And that is on his EGO.
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Manning piled up passing $TAT$ to win MVP'S, and to the detriment of his D.

 

The way I recall his time in Indy,  his stats came out of need because of compensating for his defense.  Whereas Brady’s stats get piled up even when they have a game and/or season well in hand.  

 

(Not it taking away from Brady’s clutchness if that’s a word.   He certainly has nerves of steel.  )

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnnie U from being drafted & cut by the Steelers, & their coach saying  he thought that Unitas was not smart enough to be QB in the NFL. His leadership to winning , back to back championships, in 58 and 59 for the Colts. He put the NFL, as you enjoy it today on the map nationally.  You as a Colts fan should be proud to have this as a legacy. Records are made to be broken, statistically, but to be a pioneer in the game from inception is something no other fan of any other team can ever take away from us. I know there were pro football before this, and I am a fan of history, of what was accomplished even before this event. But Nationally in America, The attraction to the NFL sky rocketed when this event was televised.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Manning piled up passing $TAT$ to win MVP'S, and to the detriment of his D.

  His D's gave up about 1 more point per game in the Playoffs than his modern day Elite peers.

  Seven one and done's here after winning the Usually Sad AFC South was pathetic. And thank goodness we had the D AND running game to get him a SB win against Rex Grossman. 
 Who was that guy that pic sixed the genious to end the SB?

  Don't forget those Happy Feet and 100 INT's his 1st 5 seasons.

 YES, he watched more tape and threw more practice reps than anyone.

 And he had the same Offensive co-ordinator longer than anyone too.
 

 But he never got over not winning the Heisman and getting pulled from his last College game. He spent his career trying to prove he was the MVP.

 JMO that if he would have RUN the DAMN BALL more, we would have more than 1 SB with him. And that is on his EGO.
  

 

Cant say I agree with this. Titans and Jags had respectable teams through the manning years, and also shared MVP with McNabb in 2004 if I remember correctly.. several playoff and even a SB appearance for the titans. 

 

One of the greatest teams in history, the NE Patriots, have been playing in a crap division for years. Most divisions in the NFL consist of crappy teams. So to act like the Colts were one of the only teams playing in a less than stallard division is misleading. 

 

Aslo, the colts played with a lead in most games during peyton's years, which HELPED our defense. Dont act like they would have played better without those scores. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Manning piled up passing $TAT$ to win MVP'S, and to the detriment of his D.

  His D's gave up about 1 more point per game in the Playoffs than his modern day Elite peers.

  Seven one and done's here after winning the Usually Sad AFC South was pathetic. And thank goodness we had the D AND running game to get him a SB win against Rex Grossman. 
 Who was that guy that pic sixed the genious to end the SB?

  Don't forget those Happy Feet and 100 INT's his 1st 5 seasons.

 YES, he watched more tape and threw more practice reps than anyone.

 And he had the same Offensive co-ordinator longer than anyone too.
 

 But he never got over not winning the Heisman and getting pulled from his last College game. He spent his career trying to prove he was the MVP.

 JMO that if he would have RUN the DAMN BALL more, we would have more than 1 SB with him. And that is on his EGO.
  

Dude.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I have been watching all morning in first take, that is all they have been talking about. Just youtube it. What Garrett did is inexcusable so I agree he should get 6 games = rest of the season. 
    • ESPN is where I saw it
    • got a clip that shows that please?
    • He tried to rip off Garrett's helmet when they were on the ground and then kept coming toward him as well after that but Garrett deserves 6 games = the brunt of the punishment.
    • I didn't blame Mack for the run game...I am talking about the talent level. For this season, I think it's the lack of light front carries moreso than stacked boxes. The average defenders in the box is about the same as last year...and he is on pace to only see 4-5 more stacked box carries vs. last year. But the light front carries are down and that's where his production came from last year.   A big part of the decrease is on the QB...and I am sure the last two games with Hoyer has only increased the base front and stacked front carries. But Mack is also part of it. He's not a pass-catching threat...and he's running the ball on half the plays he's in...so it makes the offense a bit more predictable.    So I don't want a RB2...I want a more well-rounded RB1a. Give me a Nick Chubb or an Aaron Jones type.   And Hines is alright...but he's not really an APB...because he can't run the ball. They just do that to keep the defense honest and it's typically a wasted play. But even if we call him an APB...he's fairly average. He has gotten better at making plays after the catch for sure...but still not that dynamic.   If I can't have that well-rounded RB1a...then I want a dynamite APB...ala James White or Duke Johnson...or Miles Sanders.   Ideally, I can have both...but it's rare to have that setup...like NO the past couple of years. Right now, I just feel like the Colts are missing parts to the RB game...and I think some investment could be made.
  • Members

    • Mr.Debonair

      Mr.Debonair 2,101

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • onebad150

      onebad150 85

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheMiz

      TheMiz 124

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 11,873

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • red14

      red14 19

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,221

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,306

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • alawai

      alawai 900

      Senior Members
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fisticuffs111

      Fisticuffs111 2,093

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Sumo63

      Sumo63 270

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...