Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Transformation

CurBeatElite

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-roster-transformation-continues-into-2019-season?fbclid=IwAR3MEyQMMC5Y3HT1_S5OiyK1EU2KuwtmqhCXLGypjGwNVJnXMfVSbwN4knA

Pretty cool article just posted on the front page of Colts.com

Only 6 players are left on this team from the Grigson era -- Luck, Castonzo, Vinatieri, Geathers, Doyle and TY Hilton.

I give major kudos to Ballard, as he has basically conducted a total rebuild of this team in just 3 years and has kept us in very good salary cap shape.

I like Irsay's quote as well, and think Ballard has Irsay buying into his philosophy of building mainly from within.

“We've signed several players that can make a difference,” Colts owner Jim Irsay said back in March at the annual league meetings. “So the arrow keeps pointing up, because like I've told you guys before, it's not only who you sign, but it's who you don't lose. So the fact that we're adding to the roster, but not losing any key components, any guys that are really big-time starters in their prime that were pulling the team with them with several other guys.

“We've signed our own guys and we've added some guys that are going to make a difference. And I feel really confident about that. Chris has done a great job in just patiently evaluating talent.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

This is the impressive stat: "21 draft picks in two years — every one of which remains on the roster".

That is a great stat. Once we have built depth it is going to be harder and harder for a draft pick to make this roster. We will t need ten draft picks like we have had the last couple of years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is a great stat. Once we have built depth it is going to be harder and harder for a draft pick to make this roster. We will t need ten draft picks like we have had the last couple of years.

I think the final 53 will be fantastic this year. Should be a great football team overall. I believe a couple of our late round picks these last two years may get cut. In any case, there will be good players that get cut. It's not just dead weight anymore. So proud and thankful for Chris Ballard! :thmup:

• Like 5

Was looking at our 90 man roster, the amount of good players we have now compared to the Grigson years is night and day. I can see a competitive roster that can make a run here. The great thing is we have the cap space to re-sign our own, and Ballard keeps us flush with draft picks and drafts well. Could be a dynasty in the making!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

This is the impressive stat: "21 draft picks in two years — every one of which remains on the roster".

That is a very misleading statement.  10 of the 21 are from the 2019 draft... of course they are still on the roster they have not even started training camp yet.

Pretty much the same thing for the other 11 players they are from last years draft and they have not started their 2nd training camp.  Unless a player shows nothing as a rookie most teams don't give up on drafted players after 1 season.  And with the FA signings and draft picks there is a good chance that players like Wilkins and Franklin may not make the final 53.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is a very misleading statement.  10 of the 21 are from the 2019 draft... of course they are still on the roster they have not even started training camp yet.

Pretty much the same thing for the other 11 players they are from last years draft and they have not started their 2nd training camp.  Unless a player shows nothing as a rookie most teams don't give up on drafted players after 1 season.  And with the FA signings and draft picks there is a good chance that players like Wilkins and Franklin may not make the final 53.

Thank you Mr. Obvious. However:

Draft picks from 2019 weren't cut or traded and are still on the team, and

The statement was a direct quote from the referenced article.

It may have been a tautological* statement and valid at the time it was written.

*a statement that is true by necessity or by virtue of its logical form.

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-roster-transformation-continues-into-2019-season?fbclid=IwAR3MEyQMMC5Y3HT1_S5OiyK1EU2KuwtmqhCXLGypjGwNVJnXMfVSbwN4knA

Pretty cool article just posted on the front page of Colts.com

Only 6 players are left on this team from the Grigson era -- Luck, Castonzo, Vinatieri, Geathers, Doyle and TY Hilton.

I give major kudos to Ballard, as he has basically conducted a total rebuild of this team in just 3 years and has kept us in very good salary cap shape.

I like Irsay's quote as well, and think Ballard has Irsay buying into his philosophy of building mainly from within.

“We've signed several players that can make a difference,” Colts owner Jim Irsay said back in March at the annual league meetings. “So the arrow keeps pointing up, because like I've told you guys before, it's not only who you sign, but it's who you don't lose. So the fact that we're adding to the roster, but not losing any key components, any guys that are really big-time starters in their prime that were pulling the team with them with several other guys.

“We've signed our own guys and we've added some guys that are going to make a difference. And I feel really confident about that. Chris has done a great job in just patiently evaluating talent.”

I do believe Luke Rhodes was brought in by Grigson as well. I'm pretty sure.

52 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Thank you Mr. Obvious. However:

Draft picks from 2019 weren't cut or traded and are still on the team, and

The statement was a direct quote from the referenced article.

It may have been a tautological* statement and valid at the time it was written.

*a statement that is true by necessity or by virtue of its logical form.

So you say it's obvious and then defend it.  Oh well.  It's not an "impressive stat" as you claim.

Additionally, this non impressive stat, is not an example of tautology, a tautological statement would be all 21 players are still on the roster or not all 21 players are still on the roster.

It is just a statement that sounds impressive to appeal to people who take things at face value without further thought into what is actually being stated.

Who writes these articles? As usual they are only partially accurate!

Polian Era - Castonzo, Vinatieri

Grigson Era - Clark, Haeg, Kelly, Farley, Geathers, Rhodes, Doyle, Milton and Hilton

Ballard - 29 draft picks the past 3 drafts, 27 still with the team. Banner is with Pittsburgh and Basham is with the Jets.

Still impressive how he's churned this roster over from a * poor oline and terrible 3-4 defense into an elite oline and an up and coming 4-3 defense.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Lots of googling definitions before posting in this thread..... I like it.... LOL.

From Vocabulary.com: Tautology is useless restatement, or saying the same thing twice using different words.  In the study of logic, a tautology is a statement that is necessarily true under any interpretation. "It will snow tomorrow, or it will not snow tomorrow" is an example.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:11 AM, Chloe6124 said:

On 7/2/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I think the final 53 will be fantastic this year. Should be a great football team overall. I believe a couple of our late round picks these last two years may get cut. In any case, there will be good players that get cut. It's not just dead weight anymore. So proud and thankful for Chris Ballard! :thmup:

Replying to @Chloe6124 and @Jared Cisneros here... I really liked a press conference with Ballard (I think it was right after the draft)... I don't think this is an exact quote, but essentially he said "You know you're doing it right when you make the cut from 75 to 53 and you have 9 or 10 guys getting signed by other teams and playing on Sunday."   I don't know we'll have 10 cuts go play for other teams this year, but I bet we have at least 5.... I really like Ballard's logic there.

21 hours ago, krunk said:

I do believe Luke Rhodes was brought in by Grigson as well. I'm pretty sure.

Yes, he was on the practice squad the vast majority of 2016 and then became a starter in 2017 when Ballard took over.  Thanks for pointing that out.

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Grigson Era - Clark, Haeg, Kelly, Farley, Geathers, Rhodes, Doyle, Milton and Hilton

Ballard - 29 draft picks the past 3 drafts, 27 still with the team. Banner is with Pittsburgh and Basham is with the Jets.

Still impressive how he's churned this roster over from a * poor oline and terrible 3-4 defense into an elite oline and an up and coming 4-3 defense.

Thanks, Scott!  I thought we had more than 6 still on the team, but didn't do my due diligence to figure out who the author of the article left out..... but, as you said, Ballard has really turned this team around and has done a major overhaul.  (on a side note, you left out the most important player of the Grigson era -- Andrew Luck).  

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You forgot luck :-)

Ballard was very impressive given the scheme changes and overall quality.

59 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

You also have to take into account that the average career of an NFL player is 4 years. Not that surprising there's been that much turnover.

Yup. New guys "sticking" to the roster can also be attributed to the poor overall quality that he inherited as well. It's going to be interesting to watch the 2019 draft class in terms of stickiness.  

14 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

You also have to take into account that the average career of an NFL player is 4 years. Not that surprising there's been that much turnover.

Good point.  The writer obviously played into the homerism viewpoint.  

The writer's point could be better validated if he/she compared all other 31 teams to see how many players on each team's current roster come from draft's four years ago and before.  I wonder how the Colts would stack up.

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good point.  The writer obviously played into the homerism viewpoint.  

The writer's point could be better validated if he/she compared all other 31 teams to see how many players on each team's current roster come from draft's four years ago and before.  I wonder how the Colts would stack up.

i think most new GMs are looking to turn over a  roster and make it fit their vision.

colts were one of the youngest teams in the league though, maybe the youngest if you dont count kickers.  the browns were also really young and have been through some front office changes themselves 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 1:36 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Was looking at our 90 man roster, the amount of good players we have now compared to the Grigson years is night and day. I can see a competitive roster that can make a run here. The great thing is we have the cap space to re-sign our own, and Ballard keeps us flush with draft picks and drafts well. Could be a dynasty in the making!

Could be

21 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Yeah,  NFL rosters usually turns over every year except for us who has 21 of 22 starters back which tells the whole story and it’s impressive in my opinion