Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBSSports top 10 QB list

Yoshinator

Since they’re only basing it on last season (Mahomes #1), you could make a case for Trubisky and even Winston being in the top 10.  

I know it’s not PC to say but IMHO Wilson is overrated.  

Anyway, it’s just another list of opinions.   

• Confused 1

If Mahomes keeps putting up Peyton numbers but never wins a Super Bowl, I wonder if they will back off of him as number 1. Peyton put up gawdy numbers with sub par defenses too and still had to be told that Brady was better because he won Super Bowls.  Seems like selective reasoning most of the time. However I like this list better than most.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Since they’re only basing it on last season (Mahomes #1), you could make a case for Trubisky and even Winston being in the top 10.  

If by Winston you mean Jameis Winston, he played in 11 games and only started 9 last year.  Threw for 19 TDs and 14 INTs... based on last year, he's not even close to top 10.

In terms of Wilson, I'm torn -- at times I think he's overrated, but then if you look at his OL and supporting cast on offense, he has had a pretty remarkable career.  I know he had a stellar defense the years they went to the SB, but he's still been very good (led the NFL in passer rating in 2015, led the NFL in TDs in 2017, 6x pro-bowler, etc.).   He makes very few poor decisions and makes a lot of plays very few QBs in the NFL could make.  I would rather have Luck, but I think Wilson's definitely somewhere in the top 6-7.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Winston?  Did you mean to write that? Or were you thinking of someone else?

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Winston?  Did you mean to write that? Or were you thinking of someone else?

Actually I did mean Jamies.  If you just look at QBR, both he and Trubisky were in the top 10 last year.  These lists are kind of meaningless anyway.  

Personally I think this is his judgment year.  If Arians can’t make him a good QB, he may not get another contact with them.  He has all the physical abilities but obviously it takes more than that.  

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Winston?  Jameis?  Top 10?  You must be joking.  :lol:  Honestly, has he ever been top 10 in any year since he’s been drafted?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Winston?  Jameis?  Top 10?  You must be joking.  :lol:  Honestly, has he ever been top 10 in any year since he’s been drafted?

Like I said, if they’re basing it on one season, you could make the case because Winston had a top 10 QBR.

I know it’s ridiculous, but so is rating a QB with one (great) year of experience over guys like Brady and Brees.  

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Luck should be ahead of Brees. I love drew but the guy barely throws the ball 40 yards downfield now.

I disagree.   He had a great year last season.   32 TD's 5 INT's.   He also had a larger yard per completion than Luck did.   

On 7/2/2019 at 7:51 AM, Smonroe said:

That has nothing to do with being PC, it is just flat out incorrect.  Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB in the NFL.  I really don't know what more the guy has to do?  He did it with a HOF RB and with no RBs at all.  He did it with good up and coming WRs and basically no true #1 WR at all.  He did it with an all time historic defense and with basically all those guys gone or hurt.  And when I say "did it" I mean make the playoffs.  What more do you want from the guy?  If you take away the wow factor he's basically had the same exact career as Aaron Rodgers and his teams have been more consistent.

You may think people are more talented than he is (a lot are), but most of them are not as consistent.  That's the difference.  Just like Brady is not as talented as a lot of QBs (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc.) but his consistency makes him better.  I hate to say it, but it does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   He had a great year last season.   32 TD's 5 INT's.   He also had a larger yard per completion than Luck did.   

The point he was making was that Brees tapered off drastically near the end of the regular season and even into the playoffs. Ever since that Falcons game, he has not been the same QB. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets his 2015 Manning on come next season.

21 hours ago, ManningGM said:

The point he was making was that Brees tapered off drastically near the end of the regular season and even into the playoffs. Ever since that Falcons game, he has not been the same QB. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets his 2015 Manning on come next season.

He may have "tapered off", but it is not like he fell to middle or bottom of the pack.   He was still better than most.   He had a great game against Philly in the playoffs.

image.png.617fb7caeff8a3f47a539ed4e90576a6.png

2 hours ago, Myles said:

It clearly is heavily weighted on last year.   MaHomes is #1 and last year was his only year in the league.   

They tell readers 3 times at the beginning of the article the question is, "who is the best QB in the NFL right now".
 That Mahomes played so well in his second season stands where it does.
 IMO, he looked like the best QB i have ever seen.
 Yes he had many excellent weapons, a great offensive mind calling plays, but his range of abilities were something very special. They dwarfed Andrew's Robo game.
 I don't think i would rather have Brady over him for next season either.
   The quality of QB leadership and ability of the top 7-8 is going to make for some really good FB come the Playoffs. 

If it is based off last year why is Russell Wilson rated higher than Luck going into 2019? Makes 0 sense. Luck had more TD's and Yards - 2 most important stats, won the same amount of games in the Reg season, and we went farther in the playoffs then his team did. 

Also how in the world is Aaron Rodgers 2nd going into 2019? That is extremely ridiculous if one bases this off last year (2018). His team went 6-9-1 and he threw for only 25 TD's which is bad for him. This isn't career, it is based on 2018 right?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, LockeDown said:

If Mahomes keeps putting up Peyton numbers but never wins a Super Bowl, I wonder if they will back off of him as number 1. Peyton put up gawdy numbers with sub par defenses too and still had to be told that Brady was better because he won Super Bowls.  Seems like selective reasoning most of the time. However I like this list better than most.

Hate to say it but TB holds all of the records that mean the most, post season. Just threw up a bit :(