Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cool video on Ben Banogu

Tombstone

I watched his plays against Texas, IMO he wasn’t impressive. He did have a sack but it looked like he was losing most of his matchups.  I’m no expert, so judge for yourself.  

Then I watched his highlights.  It showed the traits the Colts are looking for, speed, pursuit, good tackling.  

Bottom line, he’s raw with a lot of potential.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I watched his plays against Texas, IMO he wasn’t impressive. He did have a sack but it looked like he was losing most of his matchups.  I’m no expert, so judge for yourself.  

Then I watched his highlights.  It showed the traits the Colts are looking for, speed, pursuit, good tackling.  

TCU scheme was no help to him. And more importantly.... He got very very little rush technique coaching. He's a true wild card. I could see him not doing anything, or learning technique and being a freak.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

TCU scheme was no help to him. And more importantly.... He got very very little rush technique coaching. He's a true wild card. I could see him not doing anything, or learning technique and being a freak.

Basically this. Exactly the high risk/high reward type of guy a team should use an extra 2nd round pick on.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically this. Exactly the high risk/high reward type of guy a team should use an extra 2nd round pick on.

it's a crap shoot. NFL.com had him at 166, PFF had him at 102.

We took him at 49. He's Ballard's high dollar bet. 

I love the upside, hate the lowside. 

Pure wildcard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

it's a crap shoot. NFL.com had him at 166, PFF had him at 102.

We took him at 49. He's Ballard's high dollar bet. 

I love the upside, hate the lowside. 

Pure wildcard.

Yep. All the pass rushers were taken in round 1. If Ballard didn't like Sweat, then he had to trade down and take Banogu and a 2020 2nd. Time will tell if it's the right move.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. All the pass rushers were taken in round 1. If Ballard didn't like Sweat, then he had to trade down and take Banogu and a 2020 2nd. Time will tell if it's the right move.

“If Ballard didn’t like Sweat...”

Huh?

Just because we didn’t draft him, doesn’t mean we didn’t like him.  Remember,  Sweat was taken 26th...   do you think the other 25 teams were all unimpressed by Sweat?

Maybe the teams believed the medical report about his heart problem.  That’s why he lasted so long.   Odds are high Sweat was removed from our draft board  by the team doctors and the owner.   Odds are Ballard couldn’t have drafted him if he wanted.   That’s typically how these things work...  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“If Ballard didn’t like Sweat...”

Huh?

Just because we didn’t draft him, doesn’t mean we didn’t like him.  Remember,  Sweat was taken 26th...   do you think the other 25 teams were all unimpressed by Sweat?

Maybe the teams believed the medical report about his heart problem.  That’s why he lasted so long.   Odds are high Sweat was removed from our draft board  by the team doctors and the owner.   Odds are Ballard couldn’t have drafted him if he wanted.   That’s typically how these things work...  

I'm guessing he was off a lot of teams boards (probably ours too). However, we can't be certain which teams had him off their board, and which teams had other players ranked higher (we can use the Redskins as an example). Ballard didn't want to get into details about Sweat, so I assume you're right. I guess I worded it wrong. I meant if he couldn't take Sweat, then the alternative was to trade down and get the Redskins 2nd rounder next year and Banogu.

Here's the interview where Ballard mentions Sweat.

• Like 1

I looked up Houston's combine stats and Banogu is very similar in Size, weight, athleticism. Houston was a lot stronger tho. I think he put up 35 reps x 225lbs. 

Banogu wasn't taught technique at TCU,  so bringing in Houston as a mentor should really help Banogu mature. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I saw that tape as well. Was very put off by it. The raw physical ability is there with him, but that tape showed a concerning lack of hustle and effort. He also has no technique whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if his impact and tenure here mirrors Bashams. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Calmack said:

I saw that tape as well. Was very put off by it. The raw physical ability is there with him, but that tape showed a concerning lack of hustle and effort. He also has no technique whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if his impact and tenure here mirrors Bashams. 

I think it’s important to watch tapes when they play against their best competition.  In general most players highlight reels show a lot of them against weaker competition.  Texas was pretty good last year and except for maybe two or three plays, he was handled.  

All that being said, if you watch his highlights you get a feel for what the scouts see in him.  

Likewise, People are talking about Okereke nudging out Walker. Watch his game against USC. 

Its the old “what we haven’t seen must be better that what we got” syndrome.  I want to see them in blue and white first.   

19 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly I would have taken Sweat. All reports on him have been very complimentary thus far. Banogu ours though, so hoping it works out. And like you said, time will tell.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, GoColts00 said:

I looked up Houston's combine stats and Banogu is very similar in Size, weight, athleticism. Houston was a lot stronger tho. I think he put up 35 reps x 225lbs. 

Banogu wasn't taught technique at TCU,  so bringing in Houston as a mentor should really help Banogu mature. 

Justin Houston is a MAN!