Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if Wednesday segment about Colts.on PFT

SC-Coltsfan

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/what-if-josh-mcdaniels-became-colts-head-coach

I can't really argue with anything they say except for the reason why Reich wasn't on anyone's radar for a head coach. From what I remember Reich said he wasn't going to do any interviews until after their season was over. I believe that is the only reason he was still available to us. I have a hard time believing someone else wouldn't have scooped him up if Philadelphia didn't make the run they did

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My question is if someone was really interested in him why would they just not wait until after the SB. Why was it so important to hire someone. Those few weeks aren’t going to make or break you.

Because so many of the asst. coaches that he might want won't wait to see if he gets a job. They get a good offer and take it.
 It seems like we did well with our assistants though. Although the change we made at offensive line was a big deal

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Because so many of the asst. coaches that he might want won't wait to see if he gets a job. They get a good offer and take it.
 It seems like we did well with our assistants though. Although the change we made at  offensive line was a big deal

A lot of the assistants we hired were supposed to be a part of McDaniel's staff. Ballard just kept them on after hiring Reich. 

30 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/what-if-josh-mcdaniels-became-colts-head-coach

I can't really argue with anything they say except for the reason why Reich wasn't on anyone's radar for a head coach. From what I remember Reich said he wasn't going to do any interviews until after their season was over. I believe that is the only reason he was still available to us. I have a hard time believing someone else wouldn't have scooped him up if Philadelphia didn't make the run they did

I don't remember hearing anything about Reich not taking interviews.  No one ever called him for any.  I saw a radio show where they interviewed Dungy and he said no one called Reich because he wasn't a self promoter.  There might be some validity to that but I think on field results matter more than self promotion.  

My view is that Reich didn't get a call because the thing that tipped the scales towards him being a head coaching candidate didn't happen until the playoffs and the superbowl which is after everyone has already picked out their guy.  Don't get me wrong the season Wentz had was great but it was just one season and I think most teams would have wanted more than one season before they pulled the trigger on Reich. 

However having Nick Foles get them to the SB and win a shootout against the Pats is what put him over the top.  Everyone both fans and other teams are most impressed by what happens in the biggest games and the biggest games are always playoffs and the biggest game is the Superbowl.  

If everyone had to wait until after the SB to interview head coaching candidates Reich would have been a hot commodity.  When McDaniels backed out we were the only team without a candidate picked out and therefore the only team that could hire the guy who would have otherwise been suddenly the hottest HC candidate.  Reich fell into our laps.  

I am convinced that any other NFL team put in our situation of suddenly not having a head coach after seeing Reich's offense with a backup QB win a shootout with the Pats in the SB would have hired Reich.  

Landing Reich in the way the Colts did is similar to the Colts landing the 1st overall pick the year that Andrew Luck came out.  The obvious choice but also pure luck.

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My question is if someone was really interested in him why would they just not wait until after the SB. Why was it so important to hire someone. Those few weeks aren’t going to make or break you.

I have never heard it was because Reich wouldn't interview until after the SB.  But if that is true I can explain why you wouldn't wait.

If he comes in and bumbles the interview all of the best candidates are already hired.  It can make or break you.  Colts got lucky like I described above because the playoffs inflated the stock on a specific coordinator.  Any other team if it had found ourselves in the situation that we did would have hired Reich.  But the playoffs don't always change the stock on coordinators and you don't want to be the team left picking last.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't remember hearing anything about Reich not taking interviews.  No one ever called him for any.  I saw a radio show where they interviewed Dungy and he said no one called Reich because he wasn't a self promoter.  There might be some validity to that but I think on field results matter more than self promotion.  

My view is that Reich didn't get a call because the thing that tipped the scales towards him being a head coaching candidate didn't happen until the playoffs and the superbowl which is after everyone has already picked out their guy.  Don't get me wrong the season Wentz had was great but it was just one season and I think most teams would have wanted more than one season before they pulled the trigger on Reich. 

However having Nick Foles get them to the SB and win a shootout against the Pats is what put him over the top.  Everyone both fans and other teams are most impressed by what happens in the biggest games and the biggest games are always playoffs and the biggest game is the Superbowl.  

If everyone had to wait until after the SB to interview head coaching candidates Reich would have been a hot commodity.  When McDaniels backed out we were the only team without a candidate picked out and therefore the only team that could hire the guy who would have otherwise been suddenly the hottest HC candidate.  Reich fell into our laps.  

I am convinced that any other NFL team put in our situation of suddenly not having a head coach after seeing Reich's offense with a backup QB win a shootout with the Pats in the SB would have hired Reich.  

Landing Reich in the way the Colts did is similar to the Colts landing the 1st overall pick the year that Andrew Luck came out.  The obvious choice but also pure luck.

I have never heard it was because Reich wouldn't interview until after the SB.  But if that is true I can explain why you wouldn't wait.

If he comes in and bumbles the interview all of the best candidates are already hired.  It can make or break you.  Colts got lucky like I described above because the playoffs inflated the stock on a specific coordinator.  Any other team if it had found ourselves in the situation that we did would have hired Reich.  But the playoffs don't always change the stock on coordinators and you don't want to be the team left picking last.

"No phone calls. No texts. I'm going dark until the season is over"

Frank Reich

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/13/how-colts-coach-frank-reich-landed-job-hes-always-wanted/332660002/

36 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Colts got lucky like I described above because the playoffs inflated the stock on a specific coordinator.

One might say "It's good to be Lucky" ...

ba dum tss

tss GIF

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Reichs  ties to Indy he should of been the obvious choice. I imagine though ballard might not of known about those ties right away.

I suspect, knowing Ballard to date, he is a guy who knew all about all the candidates including Reich, but I think @Valpo2004 did a good job breaking it down.