Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Still Don't Get It???

Shadow_Creek

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

My take

1. We overachieved last season. Period

2. We played at KC

3. TY limited the offense because he was so injured. 

4. We played a very very good coach with time to prepare and his guys got some rest too and time to scout the team. Remember, Reich is well known to Reid as well by now. 

5. Not having Hooker really mattered

6. Play calling was a bit blah

7. How does Vinny automatic miss those kicks?

8. A strip sack for us turns into a strip sack for them a few plays later, that hurt. 

9. A young team who wasn’t supposed to be in the playoffs, let alone a second game in the playoffs had some factor here. 

10. KC had a pretty good team

my concern from that game would be how poorly our run game was going forward. Kelly better play better than he did this season or I don’t see a 15 million/yr contract coming his way in Indy. I think with a healthy TY, the additions of DF and Cain and Paris and others should really boost that offense. An offense with TY, Paris, Doyle, EE and Mack, now that’s gonna be a tough group to match up with and defend. Run or pass, heck coach, idk what they are doing lol. 

Gonna be fun to see this team evolve and have better back ups coming off the bench. I just hope we have enough beef in the middle to stop the run and I just hope that Kelly was hobbled in that KC game because it was one of his worst games that year. 

I agree with most of what you said except 1) I don't feel that we really overachieved, and 2) the run game wasn't the issue.

Those early season losses were mostly close games, and we were a team starting off with several new starters, and a QB that was just coming back from a year off. As far as the run game vs KC, our RBs only ran the ball 12 times, and we still had a good YPC average. We simply abandoned the run once we got down.

The Colts (offense in particular) layed an egg there in Kansas City.

Sometimes it happens. For young and/or inexperienced teams sometimes it happens even in the playoffs. The Texans offense did practically the same against the Colts in the previous week. Or, the Chargers offense in New England the same weekend. Or the Rams in the SB.

I am not close enough to the team, neither know enough to tell why it happened. I just saw the result. It's Reich's job to find the reasons and find the right answers so it won't happen again hopefully.

Anyway, my overall impression of the Colts offense last year was, that it was like a very good street car - like a Ferrari - which was under preparation to make it track-ready. It was still missing some race-elements, and was a bit out-tuned yet. And the result was mixed. Some times it rolled like a race car, then suddenly brah, brah, stopped and barely moved. Or vice versa, didn't want to go at all for a while, then hush, it got rolling. The running game was a bit like that, in some games it was a beauty to watch, then kinda struggling. In the Houston game for example, in the playoffs. The offense started like a formula one car in the first 1+1/2 quarters, then stalled for the remainder of the game. For no apparent reason for me. I mean I did not see any defensive adjustments from the Texans that would explain, etc. Just run out of gas, and stalled. The Jaguars game was also a very bad one from the offense.

I think this was partly due to being weak at positions (receiver), thin at others (there was no Doyle, so it was Ebron or nobody), and youth, inexperience. And the first year of a new scheme. And, honestly, I think Luck ran out of gas a little by the end of the season. I saw him pushing the ball sometimes. Maybe it was a bit too long season for him too.

All in all, I think the 2018 offense already had top5 "scoring capability". What 2019 needs to add in the first place is consistency. One more year in Reich's system, one more year away from Luck's injury (he'll be more prepared physically this year), more depth and talent at WR, one year of experience for the OL, etc. This will all help to make the 2019 offense more sophisticated, balanced, and thus, ultimately, more consistent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree with most of what you said except 1) I don't feel that we really overachieved, and 2) the run game wasn't the issue.

Those early season losses were mostly close games, and we were a team starting off with several new starters, and a QB that was just coming back from a year off. As far as the run game vs KC, our RBs only ran the ball 12 times, and we still had a good YPC average. We simply abandoned the run once we got down.

I think we did what we were supposed too is why I have no problem with losing at KC against a great Pass Rush, great QB, and good Coach. We didn't underachieve or overachieve IMO. I had us 9-7 (winning 1 playoff game) and getting the 6th spot at the beginning of last year.

If you go by USA Today = Nate Davis who had us 2-14 = worst team, ESPN as a whole who had us 4-12, and the NFL Network who had us 4-12 from the beginning then we overachieved by a mile, lmao . The NFL Network had us rated 32nd = the worst team. I was on cue with Colin Cowherd and said 9-7 and playoffs + a playoff win. It actually took 10-6 to get in but I was close record wise.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we did what we were supposed too is why I have no problem with losing at KC against a great Pass Rush, great QB, and good Coach. We didn't underachieve or overachieve IMO. I had us 9-7 (winning 1 playoff game) and getting the 6th spot at the beginning of last year.

If you go by USA Today = Nate Davis who had us 2-14 = worst team, ESPN as a whole who had us 4-12, and the NFL Network who had us 4-12 from the beginning then we overachieved by a mile, lmao . The NFL Network had us rated 32nd = the worst team. I was on cue with Colin Cowherd and said 9-7 and playoffs + a playoff win. It actually took 10-6 to get in but I was close record wise.

I say overachieved because of what you posted here, most everyone had us with a loosing record but still liked where we were heading. I feel we overachieved and we just hit a nice stride 6 game on. That KC game was just a poorly played/game planned game. Ty broken too was a huge factor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had us going 10-6 and winning the AFC South. I knew with Luck back we'd be at minimum .500, and I thought by adding Nelson, Ebron, and Cain, our O would be pretty decent, and enough to take the South. We were 10-6, but didn't win the South.  I wasn't counting on our D being as good, so I guess they overachieved. Honestly I'm still not sold on our D. This year will be a much bigger test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I had us going 10-6 and winning the AFC South. I knew with Luck back we'd be at minimum .500, and I thought by adding Nelson, Ebron, and Cain, our O would be pretty decent, and enough to take the South. We were 10-6, but didn't win the South.  I wasn't counting on our D being as good, so I guess they overachieved. Honestly I'm still not sold on our D. This year will be a much bigger test.

I had us 9-7 just based on guessing/hoping/predicting Luck would be healthy and play great. I was right but a lucky guess, I guess haha . I thought that would get us a 6th seed. We won 10 games which got us in.

Reasons:

1) Luck was just off.....  (everyone has a bad day.... this was this game)

2) The OL...... didnt play well..... they were slow to recognize changes (worst game of last 12)

3) Game plan......  The Chiefs are awesome in pass rush, weak in run...... so we PASS

4) The first 3 and out, where Ebron dropped an easy catch..on third down... set the tone....

5) No Jack Doyle...... TY Banged up..... other injuries.....

Its done

Its over

This is a stronger and deeper team than last! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Reasons:

2) The OL...... didnt play well..... they were slow to recognize changes (worst game of last 12)

3) Game plan......  The Chiefs are awesome in pass rush, weak in run...... so we PASS

4) The first 3 and out, where Ebron dropped an easy catch..on third down... set the tone....

Its done

Its over

This is a stronger and deeper team than last! 

Not to start any controversy, but may be unavoidable with my next statement:

Regarding Item #1: Luck was just off -- He was more than just off. He short skipped several 5-yard throws. His shoulder was not the same in that game and his passes had no zip.

Then in the Pro Bowl, he looked exactly the same. He short hopped several passes and could not throw with any zip. On the sideline, Luck asked another QB if he wanted to get in the game so that Luck can shorten his stint on the field. He knew his shoulder was worn out from the season.

It's to be expected that his shoulder would wear down after coming back from a year off. I suspect that he spent the off season working to strengthen his shoulder and limited his throws to allow for a full recovery. That's why he had a "calf" injury during OTA's and did not have throwing sessions with his receivers. We've been told he is throwing a football, which is what he was doing in the latter portion last off season, as part of his recovery. Moving closer to training camp, I expect he will amp up the amount of throws and start throwing to his receivers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Reasons:

That was bigger than some want to believe.   I remember feeling that it would be huge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Regarding Item #1: Luck was just off -- He was more than just off. He short skipped several 5-yard throws. His shoulder was not the same in that game and his passes had no zip.

Then in the Pro Bowl, he looked exactly the same. He short hopped several passes and could not throw with any zip. On the sideline, Luck asked another QB if he wanted to get in the game so that Luck can shorten his stint on the field. He knew his shoulder was worn out from the season.

It's to be expected that his shoulder would wear down after coming back from a year off. I suspect that he spent the off season working to strengthen his shoulder and limited his throws to allow for a full recovery. That's why he had a "calf" injury during OTA's and did not have throwing sessions with his receivers. We've been told he is throwing a football, which is what he was doing in the latter portion last off season, as part of his recovery. Moving closer to training camp, I expect he will amp up the amount of throws and start throwing to his receivers.

I didnt watch the pro bowl...... its become a joke 

I think you are right, his arm didnt look right. Its funny how much it dropped off in a week

He looked on in the first playoff game.

Hopefully he strengthens it in the offseason..... and we RUN the ball more this year vs needing to pass so much..... save the guys arm

But........ he also seemed "rattled" as well

Oh well.... new season upcoming

Well going as far as we did, after the 1-5 start, we had a few fans in here, bringing up the notion of tanking the season, that early. Thank god for the turn around. If not, and we ended up with a top 3 draft pick, there would be some who would be stumping to draft a QB, saying Luck is washed up. We still had a good year, all things considered, going into last season. 

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Well going as far as we did, after the 1-5 start, we had a few fans in here, bringing up the notion of tanking the season, that early. Thank god for the turn around. If not, and we ended up with a top 3 draft pick, there would be some who would be stumping to draft a QB, saying Luck is washed up. We still had a good year, all things considered, going into last season. 

I don't think many (if any) serious fans would be saying that.  I don't recall many wishing for them to tank.   I think many may have said that if they are eliminated from the playoffs that they would prefer to lose the remaining games for draft position.   

22 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Where is @jskinnz with a

Dear God.:facepalm:

On 7/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Myles said:

I don't think many (if any) serious fans would be saying that.  I don't recall many wishing for them to tank.   I think many may have said that if they are eliminated from the playoffs that they would prefer to lose the remaining games for draft position.   

There was posts that were already hanging it up for the year and I replied it was to early to give up on the year because it was about getting better as a team with all of the changes and Luck's comeback as a QB. My point was if for some reason we did not win many of the remaining games, And we had a top 3 draft choice. There would have been discussion brought up about drafting  a QB if people thought Luck was not showing improvement last season. We already have people  complaining about his performance in the KC game. I'm not one of them. As he gets better and the team around him improves, then critic his performance. People seem to forget how long he was out, and his long rehab, he had to endure.   

14 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

There was posts that were already hanging it up for the year and I replied it was to early to give up on the year because it was about getting better as a team with all of the changes and Luck's comeback as a QB. My point was if for some reason we did not win many of the remaining games, And we had a top 3 draft choice. There would have been discussion brought up about drafting  a QB if people thought Luck was not showing improvement last season. We already have people  complaining about his performance in the KC game. I'm not one of them. As he gets better and the team around him improves, then critic his performance. People seem to forget how long he was out, and his long rehab, he had to endure.   

I think if we would have faltered and got a top 3 pick, nearly all fans would have been wanting the Colts to draft a DE (Bosa or Ferrell).  

Nothing wrong with complaining about Lucks performance in the KC game.   It wasn't good.  That doesn't mean we want him gone.   He's one of the best in the league.   

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think if we would have faltered and got a top 3 pick, nearly all fans would have been wanting the Colts to draft a DE (Bosa or Ferrell).  

Nothing wrong with complaining about Lucks performance in the KC game.   It wasn't good.  That doesn't mean we want him gone.   He's one of the best in the league.   

No one would of wanted Ferrell in the top 3, by all accounts he was a top 20 guy and that was a surprise pick. Bosa went 2nd, so we would of needed a top two pick to get him. I would of chose Quinnen Williams to fill the DT spot we have a hole in. We would still have guys like Turay, Lewis, Houston, Autry, and Banogu (who I correctly predicted in the 2nd round numerous times).

On 7/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Where is @jskinnz with a

Dear God.:facepalm:

Taking it easy this summer.

Have not been very active.

But that post is Dear God worthy.  If his shoulder was an issue at all, he would have never played in the Pro Bowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, Barry Sears said:

Agree with statements about our OL not playing well against that talented KC pass rush.  Won't happen again with our new and improved MUDD WALL line this year!

I'm a huge fan of Mudd's but people tend to forget that Mudd's olines struggled against 3-4 defenses.  I not like he had the secret sauce to stop all defenses.

The speed of KCs line caused problems for the Colts oline, no doubt.  But the play of the LBers and Chiefs DBs did a lot to confuse Luck for the 1st quarter and half and by the time he figured it out, the Colts were too far in the hole.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, Flash7 said:

I just watched the condensed Texans game again on youtube......... 

Luck had a great first half, he was crisp, he was accurate.......

But......  something I didnt really get before.... he looked like he did in the KC game...... for the last quarter and a half. (We had a lead, that covered this)

Part of me wonders if he injured something in that 3rd quarter in the Texans game that effected him the rest of the playoffs

Watch the video, and see if you see the same thing

I dont think that you wear down mid game...... something wasnt right, from that point on.

Hopefully its all healed

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, Myles said:

That was bigger than some want to believe.   I remember feeling that it would be huge.  

One of those moments when you just know your team finna take the L.

Like when players continuously drop like flies after 3 plays. 

• Like 1

Like I have posted before, we simply lost to a team that was just as good as us if  not slightly better that had HFA. They were favored by 5.5 points, it wasn't even close to a pick'em game. Luck won 10 out of 11 games to get us in that position to play them in the final 8. He was probably fatigued at that point coming off major shoulder surgery. Their Pass Rush was nasty great too, Houston will probably be a hall of famer and Ford is quick.

26 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Colts loss to KC can be summed up in one play - 1st possession - 3rd down drop by Ebron.  Game over.

Ebron improved on his drops....... but

On THIRD down, he would be my second or third read

We can survive a drop on 1st or 2nd....... but my "good hands" people get first look on 3rd downs

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

So i just finished watching the colts vs Kansas city playoff game for the 5th time and i still dont understand why we played so bad. I accept that we lost yes and i understand there were drops as well. But just seeing the way Kansas city's mediocre defense easily walking through our  oline wall keeps me rocking in a corner some nights. I know the colts practiced all that week prior to the game in snow condition's so why was the same team performance that beat Houston not there against the chiefs

I thought I had already posted in this thread,  but apparently not.    So, even though it's late,  I'm going to drop my two cents here for whatever they're worth...

For consideration....

1.    Chiefs had a bye the week before.

Advantage:   Kansas City

2.    Colts played the week before,  and it was on the road.   So, they had to travel back to back weeks.

Advantage:    Kansas City

3.    Chiefs had the homefield advantage.   And Arrowhead has been one of the better home field advantage stadiums since it was built in the mid-70's.

Advantage:    Kansas City.

4.    Weather was poor.    Colts are an indoor team,  Chiefs an outdoor team.

5.    Field Conditions were poor.     Chiefs know their field better than the visiting team.

At this point,  there are enough advantages for KC to make the lopsided performance seem more obvious and reasonable.   Add to that,  the Colts OL and DL both got whipped pretty good.   It's hard for any offensi've or defensive scheme to look good when you're losing the Line of Scrimmage on most every down.    The Chiefs were the better team that day.    Doesn't mean they will always be.   But they were THAT DAY. 

Sometimes stuff like this happens.    I wouldn't read too much into this one game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

1. Tight press coverage against an injured TY and the rest of the WR's that were nothing to brag about.

2. Calculated pressure on the weak links of the O-line in Glowinski and Smith.

3. Play action and misdirection that got the Colts' LB's moving in the wrong direction and consistently out of position.

4. The starting safeties were Geathers and JJ Wilcox/Odum.

5. Luck played poorly.

All in all, KC scouted and exploited the Colts' weaknesses really well and the Colts didn't execute on their end. Recipe for a loss nearly all of the time.

If I were to reorder your list from most important to least important, #5 would be #1

5 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

If I were to reorder your list from most important to least important, #5 would be #1

one could say that #1 and #2 had a lot to do with #5... It's really hard to throw it to someone that isn't open, and add to that your playing the league's best pass rushing team.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I thought I had already posted in this thread,  but apparently not.    So, even though it's late,  I'm going to drop my two cents here for whatever they're worth...

For consideration....

1.    Chiefs had a bye the week before.

Advantage:   Kansas City

2.    Colts played the week before,  and it was on the road.   So, they had to travel back to back weeks.

3.    Chiefs had the homefield advantage.   And Arrowhead has been one of the better home field advantage stadiums since it was built in the mid-70's.

Advantage:    Kansas City.

4.    Weather was poor.    Colts are an indoor team,  Chiefs an outdoor team.

5.    Field Conditions were poor.     Chiefs know their field better than the visiting team.

At this point,  there are enough advantages for KC to make the lopsided performance seem more obvious and reasonable.   Add to that,  the Colts OL and DL both got whipped pretty good.   It's hard for any offensi've or defensive scheme to look good when you're losing the Line of Scrimmage on most every down.    The Chiefs were the better team that day.    Doesn't mean they will always be.   But they were THAT DAY. 

Sometimes stuff like this happens.    I wouldn't read too much into this one game. 

I agree with NewColtsFan, I think everyone is over thinking and reading way too much from last year into this. We were coming back from the ashes and just ran out of gas. This was not a surprise , or it should not have been that we lost against a team that had an excellent year, and was elite, rested, at home, use to the weather, It doesn't take rocket science to understand why we under performed. My god man be happy we did as good as we did last year. I was very proud of what we accomplished  last year considering where we were at before the season started, and as of  the first 6 games we played.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DarkSuperman87 said:

On the Colts first drive when Ebron dropped that wide open pass on third down I knew what kind of day it was going to be. The fact that our young defense only gave up 31 points on the road was astonishing.

"Stuff Happens" (Stuff wasn't the word I really meant,  LOL" Can I say the S**t word?