Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Still Don't Get It???

Shadow_Creek

So i just finished watching the colts vs Kansas city playoff game for the 5th time and i still dont understand why we played so bad. I accept that we lost yes and i understand there were drops as well. But just seeing the way Kansas city's mediocre defense easily walking through our  oline wall keeps me rocking in a corner some nights. I know the colts practiced all that week prior to the game in snow condition's so why was the same team performance that beat Houston not there against the chiefs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

So i just finished watching the colts vs Kansas city playoff game for the 5th time and i still dont understand why we played so bad. I accept that we lost yes and i understand there were drops as well. But just seeing the way Kansas city's mediocre defense easily walking through our  oline wall keeps me rocking in a corner some nights. I know the colts practiced all that week prior to the game in snow condition's so why was the same team performance that beat Houston not there against the chiefs

Watching it once was more than enough for me, re-watching it 5x seems a little overkill haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

#1 as bad as their D was the first half of the season, they did insert some young players later in the season that were playing pretty well by seasons end.
#2 i believe Kelly was playing at about 75-80%. He looked slow, a bit hobbled IMO, and their inside guys came near dominating us. Chris Jones is stud!
#3 Their D gave up 17-18 pts a game AT HOME with that BAD D. Hmmm!
#4 Give Andy Reid 2 weeks to prepare and he is pretty good.
#5 That they ran the ball so well is a concern going forward if we play small ball with our inside defenders. A run stuffer has to be developed, added.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The Patriots came out running the ball vs the Chiefs and went down all the way to score a TD on the ground to set tempo in the AFCCG. Plus, they shut down Mahomes for a half, which allowed plenty of room for error for their offense. Reich started with the running game but got impatient, IMO. Plus, I do think the league wanted a Chiefs vs Patriots AFCCG so that the game would not be in San Diego's little embarrassment of a stadium.  So, playing our divisional game first worked against us along those lines.

Plenty of "let them play" calls went in the Chiefs' favor w.r.t tight coverages 1-on-1 and facemask non-calls for Jones vs Nelson, IMO.  On defense, we actually came out flat and took a while to adjust, so the offense going 3-and-outs did not help whatsoever. Our D is still built to have some point support early on in games, I feel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Watching it once was more than enough for me, re-watching it 5x seems a little overkill haha.

Yea, i watched the Tenn AND Houston games 3 pr 4 times each, but only watched the Kc game live.  That was enough.

It was weird how all phases of our team struggled.  Literally all. 

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, i watched the Tenn AND Houston games 3 pr 4 times each, but only watched the Kc game live.  That was enough.

It was weird how all phases of our team struggled.  Literally all. 

As bad as it was, our young roster needed to feel the sting of a disappointing season ending loss to put things in perspective. As a result I fully expect a much better performance when we travel to Arrowhead in week 5.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think we just ran out of gas. The run game for KC was good because we were worried about Mahomes. TY was playing on one leg on a bad field. We had two safeties out which forced a lot of players out of positions. As good as we were stopping the run last year that game taught us a lot. It will be interesting if we can this year with the great QB we will be playing. Something will have to give. The only player that stood out that KC game for the colts was Kenny Moore.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

#5 That they ran the ball so well is a concern going forward if we play small ball with our inside defenders. A run stuffer has to be developed, added.

Our LBs were constantly out of position in both phases. I thought that was as big a factor as anything.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Our LBs were constantly out of position in both phases. I thought that was as big a factor as anything.

Our strongside LB's were kinda terrible in that game in both phases.
But they did pick their way through our interior easily also.

1. Tight press coverage against an injured TY and the rest of the WR's that were nothing to brag about.

2. Calculated pressure on the weak links of the O-line in Glowinski and Smith.

3. Play action and misdirection that got the Colts' LB's moving in the wrong direction and consistently out of position.

4. The starting safeties were Geathers and JJ Wilcox/Odum.

5. Luck played poorly.

All in all, KC scouted and exploited the Colts' weaknesses really well and the Colts didn't execute on their end. Recipe for a loss nearly all of the time.

5 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Really?  I never even thought about it again after reflecting maybe 30 minutes after the game.  Certainly never kept me up at nite at any point after.

They had the better team and were at home. KC winning doesn't surprise me at all. This upcoming season is a different story. If you ask 99% of Houston fans were they surprised we beat them in the playoffs, they would probably say yes. I wasn't, because we had the better QB. Mahomes and Luck are pretty even regarding KC and they were at home.

• Like 1

it was just an ugly ugly ugly game.

to me, our O was the issue. you can't punt your first four possessions and then miss a FG to end the half. then you punt your first two possessions of the 2nd, fumble on your 3rd, and punt again on your 4th. When special teams is your only score for 3Qs, it's your offense lol....

our D actually held them under their average so i can't blame them too much. we actually had more sacks and QB hits they them.

Biggest issues

1. they doubled a hobbled TY, and the rest of our WR group were mediocre to begin with

2. O play calling sucked. horrible game plan from Reich, and good one from Andy.

3. our LB's played bad... 

4. we abandoned the run too early (only 14 rushes the entire game). Our YPC was pretty good.

5. weather/field

• Like 1

After  not playing well at all in the first half I thought Leonard started asserting himself in the second half. That forced fumble and recovery that had the Colts set up at around the 25 yard line of the Chiefs should have turned the game. But I believe it was Ford who beat Smith and knocked the ball out of Lucks hand and kc recovered. Any game Hooker, Leonard, or Walker missed last year the defense was not as good. That speaks volumes for the talent of those 3 guys.

• Like 3

Anyone that thinks their D sucked will believe anything. They had the best pass rush in the league. Like I said, that game didn't surprise me at all. Almost nobody thought we would make the Final 8 and go 10-6. So be happy with a good year is what I say. This season, expectations will be a bit higher :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I get it...

Number 1 seed

Superbowl favorite

MVP QB

Good coach

One of the best home Field advantages

We're we supposed to win? I'm asking "I still don't get it after watching 05 vs Steelers 07 and 08 against the chargers...

We were a machine in 05, that was tough loss vs Pitt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I get it...

Number 1 seed

Superbowl favorite

MVP QB

Good coach

One of the best home Field advantages

We're we supposed to win? I'm asking "I still don't get it after watching 05 vs Steelers 07 and 08 against the chargers...

and then NE goes into KC and throws for 350 and Sony runs for 100+ on them.

our O, and O game plan just sucked.

i get KC was good, but our O just sucked.

17 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

1. Tight press coverage against an injured TY and the rest of the WR's that were nothing to brag about.

3. Play action and misdirection that got the Colts' LB's moving in the wrong direction and consistently out of position.

5. Luck played poorly.

All in all, KC scouted and exploited the Colts' weaknesses really well and the Colts didn't execute on their end. Recipe for a loss nearly all of the time.

The play calling was less than stellar. Should have been a run heavy offensive game plan. Abandon the run and you need a healthy TY who had a bum ankle. 

In that situation it makes it easier to defend Ebron also. We needed a run game and when we committed to it towards the end of the game you saw a glimpse of what could have happened that game. 

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

5. Luck played poorly.

18 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

it was just an ugly ugly ugly game.

to me, our O was the issue. you can't punt your first four possessions and then miss a FG to end the half. then you punt your first two possessions of the 2nd, fumble on your 3rd, and punt again on your 4th. When special teams is your only score for 3Qs, it's your offense lol....

our D actually held them under their average so i can't blame them too much. we actually had more sacks and QB hits they them.

Biggest issues

1. they doubled a hobbled TY, and the rest of our WR group were mediocre to begin with

2. O play calling sucked. horrible game plan from Reich, and good one from Andy.

3. our LB's played bad... 

4. we abandoned the run too early (only 14 rushes the entire game). Our YPC was pretty good.

5. weather/field

My take

1. We overachieved last season. Period

2. We played at KC

3. TY limited the offense because he was so injured. 

4. We played a very very good coach with time to prepare and his guys got some rest too and time to scout the team. Remember, Reich is well known to Reid as well by now. 

5. Not having Hooker really mattered

6. Play calling was a bit blah

7. How does Vinny automatic miss those kicks?

8. A strip sack for us turns into a strip sack for them a few plays later, that hurt. 

9. A young team who wasn’t supposed to be in the playoffs, let alone a second game in the playoffs had some factor here. 

10. KC had a pretty good team

my concern from that game would be how poorly our run game was going forward. Kelly better play better than he did this season or I don’t see a 15 million/yr contract coming his way in Indy. I think with a healthy TY, the additions of DF and Cain and Paris and others should really boost that offense. An offense with TY, Paris, Doyle, EE and Mack, now that’s gonna be a tough group to match up with and defend. Run or pass, heck coach, idk what they are doing lol. 

Gonna be fun to see this team evolve and have better back ups coming off the bench. I just hope we have enough beef in the middle to stop the run and I just hope that Kelly was hobbled in that KC game because it was one of his worst games that year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

and then NE goes into KC and throws for 350 and Sony runs for 100+ on them.

our O, and O game plan just sucked.

i get KC was good, but our O just sucked.

Chiefs were going to win the game until Dee Ford had a brain fart

On 6/24/2019 at 11:10 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

I think at least part of reason is we moved up in class. The Chiefs are much better than what colts been playing prior. Playing on the road and in the elements didn't help either.

I think more Disturbing was why Luck played so bad? We can only go as far as he will take us. 

• Like 4

Some interesting numbers here on Luck (see below link).  Luck's poor play was certainly a factor, but as other posters have said, there were a ton of hiccups in other areas.. linebacker play, Dee Ford seemingly bought some sort of VIP colt's backfield pass because he was not even patted down.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/01/13/andrew-luck-very-bad-playoff-quarterback-colts-nfl/

15 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Some interesting numbers here on Luck (see below link).  Luck's poor play was certainly a factor, but as other posters have said, there were a ton of hiccups in other areas.. linebacker play, Dee Ford seemingly bought some sort of VIP colt's backfield pass because he was not even patted down.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/01/13/andrew-luck-very-bad-playoff-quarterback-colts-nfl/

A person from Boston wrote the article. 4-4 in the playoffs isn't bad at all, it is average. Last I looked bad and average are very different. Also in all 4 of Luck's losses he was an underdog on the road and 2 of his losses were at NE against arguably the greatest QB and Coach ever. Luck beat Denver on the road in 2014 and played good in that game as a heavy underdog. That article is bad lmao is my thoughts. 

• Like 2

The Chiefs' supposedly mediocre defense tied (w/ Steelers) for the league lead in sacks, with 52, compared to the Colts' No. 19 ranking/38 sacks. So even though the Colts' O-line was good, they were dealing with the number-1 pass rush. They were basically out-played by a good opponent. When you shut down Luck with pressure, you basically make the offense one-dimensional. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

The Chiefs' supposedly mediocre defense tied (w/ Steelers) for the league lead in sacks, with 52, compared to the Colts' No. 19 ranking/38 sacks. So even though the Colts' O-line was good, they were dealing with the number-1 pass rush. They were basically out-played by a good opponent. When you shut down Luck with pressure, you basically make the offense one-dimensional. 

that's some great insight right there. Do you also think Luck may have held on to the ball to long which could have been another factor?

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The way the game broke down in every phase I don’t think it was anything more then fatigue and injuries.

sigh yeah we were pretty banged up on D

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think at least part of reason is we moved up in class. The Chiefs are much better than what colts been playing prior. Playing on the road and in the elements didn't help either.

I think more Disturbing was why Luck played so bad? We can only go as far as he will take us. 

To be honest i thought the chiefs would be the rusty ones sigh

On 6/24/2019 at 10:14 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

i know what you mean but i just had to look at every angle to see how this nightmarish performance happen lol