Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts dissed on Gil Brant’s list

Lucky Colts Fan

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com (who called 6'8" 275lb Margus Hunt a linebacker haha)

ten-most-talented-teams-in-the-nfl-ahead-of-the-2019-season

1. Eagles

2. Cowboys

3. Bears

4. Rams

5. Pats

6. Chargers

7. Chiefs

8. Saints

9. Browns

10. Indianapolis Colts

General manager Chris Ballard was a worthy and deserving choice as the PFWA Executive of the Year in 2018. Ballard's second draft on the job was a brilliant one, netting two load-bearing offensive linemen (Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith), a diamond-in-the-rough defensive stud (Darius Leonard, the Defensive Rookie of the Year) and a productive fourth-round running back (Nyheim Hines, who contributed 739 scrimmage yards and four total touchdowns). But it's not just about the draft: The Colts have added veterans wisely, landing contributors like cornerback Pierre Desir, linebacker Margus Hunt, defensive end Denico Autry and tight end Eric Ebron, who all enjoyed career years in Indianapolis last season. That also speaks well of the job done by coach Frank Reich and his staff.

As for this year's additions, Justin Houston could provide a pass-rushing boost to a defense that ranked 11th overall and 16th against the pass in 2018, while Devin Funchess and rookie Parris Campbell should help make veteran receiver T.Y. Hilton even more effective. And, of course, it's impossible to overstate the impact of having Andrew Luck playing at an elite level again after shoulder issues cost him the 2017 season.

Quite a jump from #32 last year.  :rock:

• Like 1

NFL.com has Gil Brant’s 10 most talented teams and ranks the Colts at 10 which is a little surprising to me but what surprised me even more is Philadelphia at #1.

Comparing the two teams, I would take the Colts’

QB

OL

TE (Ertz and Goddard are solid but the Colts have better depth)

LB

Secondary

STs

Eagles 

DL (although I think it’s closer than some think)

Push

WR (give me T.Y. over D.J.)

RB

Full discloser, I hate the Eagles almost as much as the Pats but I do think the National Media (at least some), are sleeping on the Colts and are overestimating teams like the Browns and Eagles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034229/article/ten-most-talented-teams-in-the-nfl-ahead-of-the-2019-season

Colts O and D hung around 10th in the league last year so I'm not upset. They haven't even proved anything to their fans. I want to see if Frank Riech can learn from his mistakes. For too long it seemed pagano did the same thing over and over and until Riech proves he can adapt I am skeptical but SUPER excited at the same time. 

• Like 1

I don't see it as a dis.  Honestly I think I'd rather have the media treating the Colts as an above average team than to have them treating the Colts like they are SB contenders.

It feels to me that every time a team I'm a fan of starts getting hyped they end up crashing.  

And I'm surprised you would put the Colts Secondary, TE and LB above the Eagles

And I would def. take their RB's over the Colts.  

• Thanks 1

Honesty I think this Colts teams has been OVERhyped so far this offseason. 10th on this list is probably a good place for them right now. Let’s not act the Colts were complete world beaters last season. This team still has work to do and has a tough schedule ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

A part of Brandt's criteria is that the Eagles have significant, proven contributors under contract well into the future. A lot of those guys are top five at their position -- Cox, Ertz, Kelce, who he named. Even Wentz, while not top five overall, had an MVP caliber season a couple years ago.

I also think Colts fans overrate some players on our roster. I like where the OL is headed, but the Eagles have had a top five OL for three or four years now. Ebron had a productive year, but in a specific role; Doyle is a nice utility player who is dependable (when healthy); Ertz is better than both of them. Our secondary and receiver corps are almost entirely unproven.

I think 10-ish is appropriate for the Colts. I don't see that ranking as a diss at all. After all, just a couple seasons ago, people had the Colts as a bottom five roster. One good season doesn't take us to the top of the league.

Interesting take. I just don’t see the disparity between these two teams as being valid. I’m not saying the Colts should be #1 but I wouldn’t put the Eagles there. Of course,  it’s all subjective. 

But the Colts had a better record than the Eagles last year. Their Offense ranked higher than the Eagles in both total points scored and total yardage.

The Colts Defense gave up less total yardage and total points as well.

I don’t know how much (if at all) played into Brant’s assessment but it should have more than it apparently did.

As far as Philadelphia’s OL, they gave up 40 sacks last year....just saying.

Their  weakness (other than Wentz’s health) is our strength-LBs.

As far as being the best players in the league; Is Cox better than Donald? (granted they are both great players)

Is the one-dimensional Ertz better than Kelce in KC?  (I think as a whole the TE room in Indy is more talented than Philadelphia’s.)

I’m sure Kelce is in the conversation as the best C in the league but Kelly is not far behind (if at all).

We’ll see Supe what the list looks like next year, maybe Brant is right but if was a betting man, my money would be on the Colts to have a better year than his “#1”.

I hadn't really thought about it...but other than QB and possibly OL/secondary...I am not sure the Colts have other position groups that are better than PHI...from a talent perspective.

Offense

PHI has the best TE group in the NFL. I am not sure if it is much of a debate. Ertz is a top 3 TE...in that tier above everyone else...and Goedert is a 2nd round pick who flashed a lot as a rookie. From a talent perspective, I would definitely take that duo over the Colts TE group...and they might even both be above the Colts TEs...again from a talent perspective. 

I would also add WR to that as well. Alshon, DJax, Agholor, JJAW...is a stout top 4. And I am very high on Miles Sanders...so RB as well.

The OL is right there with the Colts...and adding Dillard will help replace Peters. 

Luck is better than Wentz IMO...but it's not much of a gap...and Wentz should continue to get better.

Defense

Obviously, PHI's DL is one of the best in the NFL.

Their LBs are probably a deeper group...even with the loss of Jordan Hicks.

And their secondary is deep...much like the Colts.

Overall, I think PHI is the more talented team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

NFL.com has Gil Brant’s 10 most talented teams and ranks the Colts at 10 which is a little surprising to me but what surprised me even more is Philadelphia at #1.

QB

OL

LB

Secondary

STs

Eagles 

Push

RB

Full discloser, I hate the Eagles almost as much as the Pats but I do think the National Media (at least some), are sleeping on the Colts and are overestimating teams like the Browns and Eagles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034229/article/ten-most-talented-teams-in-the-nfl-ahead-of-the-2019-season

New England being at 5 is a joke chiefs should be higher chargers should be higher colts shoud be 1 or two spots higher.

Interesting take. I just don’t see the disparity between these two teams as being valid. I’m not saying the Colts should be #1 but I wouldn’t put the Eagles there. Of course,  it’s all subjective. 

But the Colts had a better record than the Eagles last year. Their Offense ranked higher than the Eagles in both total points scored and total yardage.

The Colts Defense gave up less total yardage and total points as well.

I don’t know how much (if at all) played into Brant’s assessment but it should have more than it apparently did.

As far as being the best players in the league; Is Cox better than Donald? (granted they are both great players)

Is the one-dimensional Ertz better than Kelce in KC?  (I think as a whole the TE room in Indy is more talented than Philadelphia’s.)

I’m sure Kelce is in the conversation as the best C in the league but Kelly is not far behind (if at all).

We’ll see Supe what the list looks like next year, maybe Brant is right but if was a betting man, my money would be on the Colts to have a better year than his “#1”.

While i enjoy and share your enthusiasm for our 2019 Colts, some of your points just don't quite hit IMO.
 That said i like the idea that our 53 man roster could well prove to be top ten ish NOW. Yeehaa! We are really young without a proven front seven on D. KC gave us a Good lesson. And we have a much tougher schedule coming. 
 I have no doubt Brandt put reasonable thought to the WEAK offenses that tested last years D. We have much to prove, Bring It On.

I said Cox, Kelce and Ertz are top five at their respective positions, not the best. 

I also think we get too wrapped up in sack numbers when judging OLs. And my point was more that the Eagles have been good on the OL for a while, whereas the Colts had one strong year (then changed the OL coach, so there's something to be proved still). 

The Eagles had a tough season last year, but they had a recovering QB and a much tougher schedule than the Colts. 

I'm not sure how I'd rank all the different rosters in the league, just saying I don't have a great beef with the Colts being at 10, or with the Eagles being ahead of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Cowboys are #2 ???  

Yeah...at first glance that might seem a bit high...but they do have legit talent like Zeke, Cooper, LVE, Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones, Tyron Smith, Zack Martin...all of them range from Pro Bowl to All-Pro level. That's more than 1/3 of their starters.

I think it comes down to how good one thinks Dak is. I am guessing Brandt is high on him.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Although I will say didn’t we almost beat the eagles last year?

Yep...it was a sloppy field, early in the season and both Wentz and Luck were still getting their feet under them after not playing for a while.

I would like to see them face off at full health this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Until we beat the best we will behind them. This is s huge year to prove we can beat and hang with some of the best in the league. If we pull out a couple wins against those teams we will then make a big jump and be considered one of the best.

Well said!

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I said Cox, Kelce and Ertz are top five at their respective positions, not the best. 

I also think we get too wrapped up in sack numbers when judging OLs. And my point was more that the Eagles have been good on the OL for a while, whereas the Colts had one strong year (then changed the OL coach, so there's something to be proved still). 

The Eagles had a tough season last year, but they had a recovering QB and a much tougher schedule than the Colts. 

I'm not sure how I'd rank all the different rosters in the league, just saying I don't have a great beef with the Colts being at 10, or with the Eagles being ahead of them. 

His top 10 has some really good teams. And there really isn't that much separating 1-10. We have as much to prove as any.

• Like 5

On 6/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, coltsfeva said:

It's interesting - and indeed subjective -, because, IMO the Eagles are indeed the #1 roster at the moment. And it's not even close. The depth of that roster is crazy. If Wentz stays healthy, they are the heavy favourites of the NFC.

(They will pay the price for putting this deep roster together though. In 1, max 2 years that Eagles will be a very different team. A very-very different team.)

Regarding the Colts, the #10 is fair imo. As of june 2019. Which can change very-very quickly. Last year, practically this very same roster - except Houston and Funches and the new rookies - was at the rock bottom of the leauge according to some "experts". I did not agree with them of course, but I had a hard time to put them into the top15. They were rather around #20 on my list. What made them to rise to #10 in one year was mostly the development of their own players. The Nelsons, the Leonards, the Hineses, the Ebrons, the Autrys, etc. Many-many players become better players in one year, than they were before, thus elevating the whole roster.

The good news is, that this Colts roster is still full of self-imrovement potential. Turay, Lewis, Cain, Hooker, Alie-Cox and so on and so on, there's a ton of young players who can still improve. The more they are, the better the chance the team will improve overall.

So, It's not delusional thinking - hoping -, that in june 2020, we - and most experts - will talk about the Colts roster - mostly this current roster, without any major outside addition - and say it's a top5 unit in the NFL.

I wouldn't consider #10 a diss..... but I have a bit of an issue with the Cowpies ranked #2 at the same time.

We not only shut them out last season, we out manned, out-muscled and intimidated them in a way that none of us have seen a Colts team do to any team in a long, long time.

You could say "well its only one game".... and that's true.

But that was a statement game, and I just don't see how Brandt can justify a #2 ranking for Dallas given each team's additions this off-season....not to mention all those other teams he has them ranked ahead of.

As for the Colts...on our own merits.... I would have us closer to the middle of the pack on this list, around 7th and certainly ahead of Dallas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I would have us probably 5th. The Chiefs with Hill are slightly better, Pats are better until Brady starts to show his age, Saints are better, and the Rams are a better all-around team eventhough we have the better QB there. Some could argue the Bears, maybe the Chargers are better. That is about it. I think we are better than the Cowboys and Eagles but that is my opinion.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2019 at 9:54 AM, coltsfeva said:

QB

OL

LB

Secondary

STs

Eagles 

Push

RB

I'm not sure that it is a "Diss" on the Colts.  I know that Brandt is projecting for the 2019 season, but it seems to me that it is more of a diss on the Cowboys and Bears.  If he is correct that the Cowboys and Bears have the 2nd and 3rd best rosters, then they have been underachieving.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Eagles are 1 year removed from being Super Bowl Champs and won playoff game last year with their backup QB.

The Colts are 1 year removed from earning the 3rd overall pick in the Draft.

I have no problem the Eagles are higher on the list.

I take the NFL as it is, not as it used to be. After the 2011 season, we were 1 year removed from winning our division. Doesn't mean that we weren't one of the worst teams in the league

11 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

It's interesting - and indeed subjective -, because, IMO the Eagles are indeed the #1 roster at the moment. And it's not even close. The depth of that roster is crazy. If Wentz stays healthy, they are the heavy favourites of the NFC.

(They will pay the price for putting this deep roster together though. In 1, max 2 years that Eagles will be a very different team. A very-very different team.)

Regarding the Colts, the #10 is fair imo. As of june 2019. Which can change very-very quickly. Last year, practically this very same roster - except Houston and Funches and the new rookies - was at the rock bottom of the leauge according to some "experts". I did not agree with them of course, but I had a hard time to put them into the top15. They were rather around #20 on my list. What made them to rise to #10 in one year was mostly the development of their own players. The Nelsons, the Leonards, the Hineses, the Ebrons, the Autrys, etc. Many-many players become better players in one year, than they were before, thus elevating the whole roster.

The good news is, that this Colts roster is still full of self-imrovement potential. Turay, Lewis, Cain, Hooker, Alie-Cox and so on and so on, there's a ton of young players who can still improve. The more they are, the better the chance the team will improve overall.

So, It's not delusional thinking - hoping -, that in june 2020, we - and most experts - will talk about the Colts roster - mostly this current roster, without any major outside addition - and say it's a top5 unit in the NFL.

They put us at rock bottom, a fair prediction, but they were wrong. That's the whole point. Yes it's the same roster, but now we see how good we really are. We see our offensive line, we see our stud linebackers, we see Marlon Mack being a beast. And of course, we see Andrew being Andrew again. Those are all things that we didn't know last year. Now that we do know that, it's unacceptable to have us as the #10 team. 

• Like 2

If Hill gets suspended and can't play when the playoffs roll around, we will better than them IMO. It's close now. Hill is a huge difference maker for Mahomes. They also lost the 2 pass rushers that dominated against us in the playoffs (Ford and Houston). Many forget Houston had 2 sacks in that game and Ford played like Dwight Freeney lmao .

On 6/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Until we beat the best we will behind them. This is s huge year to prove we can beat and hang with some of the best in the league. If we pull out a couple wins against those teams we will then make a big jump and be considered one of the best.

Yeah, except we slaughtered the Cowboys and almost beat the Eagles, and yet here we are!

5 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

They put us at rock bottom, a fair prediction, but they were wrong. That's the whole point. Yes it's the same roster, but now we see how good we really are. We see our offensive line, we see our stud linebackers, we see Marlon Mack being a beast. And of course, we see Andrew being Andrew again. Those are all things that we didn't know last year. Now that we do know that, it's unacceptable to have us as the #10 team. 

Yep. I have us top 5.

• Like 2

Mods, can we get a merge?

https://forums.colts.com/topic/62505-colts-are-the-10th-most-talented-team-in-nfl/

I think some people are blurring the lines between talent and production.  When you start throwing around stats and wins/losses, you're talking about production, which is influenced by coaching, schemes, injuries, etc.

Remember, this list is about TALENT.  For the Colts to be considered a top-10 talented team one year after being the "least talented" team is really saying something.

• Like 1

I listen to Gil Brandt on SirusXM (Late Hits) all the time.  He always has good things to say about the Colts and where they are headed. (They talk about the Colts a great deal). Very savvy 86 year-old with boat-loads of knowledge who has seen & done it ALL. I would put a lot of faith in where he ranks us.

Not sure it's a diss. All those teams, except maybe Cowboys and Chiefs are more talented as of now. I don't like the Browns hype, and I don't think they'll be good, but that's different than saying they're not a talented team. On paper, Browns have a lot of talent.

7 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Yes, they were wrong. We know it now, but we did not know it last june. We did not know that Leonard will become an all pro in his rookie year, Smith will be such a great finding for the RT position, Autry will be such a great addition, etc. We might hoped, but we did not know.

It's the same for 2019. We know nothing about 2019. We just predict. We kinda know that by the end of 2018, the Colts were a playoff team, and thus, reasonably a top 10 ish roster. Whether that "ish" was #9 or #14 that's subjective. So that's where we start, and then we add some assumptions regarding the offseason moves, and there is the prediction. If the result for you is a top5 place, fine. That's your opinion. I am a bit more cautious type, so I put them at somewhere #8 to #10. It doesn't really matter, it's only a few spots after all. :)

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Not sure it's a diss. All those teams, except maybe Cowboys and Chiefs are more talented as of now. I don't like the Browns hype, and I don't think they'll be good, but that's different than saying they're not a talented team. On paper, Browns have a lot of talent.

It's soo subjective. For me, the Cowboys are one of the best rosters. Definitely top3. For you, obviously, not.

When you consider our depth, I still think the Colts were underrated and the Eagles were overrated on this list. They’ve got some questions in regards to their starters at LB and in the secondary.

Again, it’s all speculation and none of it matters. But to put a 9-7 team on the top of this list is a head scratcher.