Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
MikeCurtis

Anthony Walker vs. Bobby Okereke for the starting MIKE linebacker position?

15 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree on Walker. On Okereke, I think he as instincts, but not the strength (especially lower body). 

Regarding Speed being available later, I think several of the guys we drafted would have been available later. That includes Okereke, and Willis in addition to Speed.

It is amazing how much stronger amateur's can get in 6 months working in their local gym, and you sit here telling us how strong Okereke is Today, and sounding like Ballard and his staff screwed up the grade of those 3 guys. 
 This, while you can't really have a clue. If you had been their area scout and dug into them like a area scout is hired to do, you just as likely would have stood on your desktop advocating for them. Considering these guys all made a 160 or so draft board after everyone else was cut, maybe... just maybe, they may prove to be underdrafted.

• Like 1

So if Walker is solidified into the MLB spot why draft Okereke in the 3rd round?   Seems a little early to just be thinking about depth.  

17 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Regarding Speed being available later, I think several of the guys we drafted would have been available later. That includes Okereke, and Willis in addition to Speed.

That might always be the case, but when it's a DII guy who wasn't at the Combine, it's hard to imagine there was a ton of interest in him. Of course, all it takes is one team being in love with him. I'm sure there was another team expecting him to be a UDFA, mad because the Colts took him in the fifth. Get your guy, that's the most important thing.

• Like 1

I said this when we drafted him and since I haven't seen a thing since (was he in the otas and mini camp?), I don't get the infatuation with this guy.  I watched every single tape I could find of him in college.  Decent with potential is about all I could say.  Same with Banogu honestly. 

I trust cb and the coaches though, so my expectations are still high for them, but as far as college tape, nothing special imo. 

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is amazing how much stronger amateur's can get in 6 months working in their local gym, and you sit here telling us how strong Okereke is Today, and sounding like Ballard and his staff screwed up the grade of those 3 guys. 
 This, while you can't really have a clue. If you had been their area scout and dug into them like a area scout is hired to do, you just as likely would have stood on your desktop advocating for them. Considering these guys all made a 160 or so draft board after everyone else was cut, maybe... just maybe, they may prove to be underdrafted.

Stanford has had one of the best S&C programs in college football since Turley took over 10+ years ago. Not saying he can't get stronger, or build his base, but it's not like Stanford wasn't attempting to do the same thing for the past 4 years.

I'm not saying Ballard screwed up anything. Most quality big boards had them ranked a lot lower than where Ballard took them. I hope they all turn out to be rock stars, but let's not act like ever draft pick or FA signing Ballard has made is perfect. Basham, Banner, Grant, etc are just a few of the names to come to mind in the 2ish years.

In terms of comparison... Okereke for instance was taken 89th. PFF graded him 158th and NFL.com 152nd. Willis was taken 109th while PFF graded him at 149th and NFL.com had him 232nd. Speed was taken 164th, while not making PFF's or NFL.com's top 250/300. Glad Ballard got the guys he wanted, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have been available later.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

That might always be the case, but when it's a DII guy who wasn't at the Combine, it's hard to imagine there was a ton of interest in him. Of course, all it takes is one team being in love with him. I'm sure there was another team expecting him to be a UDFA, mad because the Colts took him in the fifth. Get your guy, that's the most important thing.

Yup, let's just hope it pans out.

• Like 1