Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coltsfansince65

Irsay now owns David Gilmour's famous black Stratocaster....

Recommended Posts

I didn't see this posted anywhere. I hope this is the right place to post this.

Irsay has purchased this iconic guitar that has been used on many Pink Floyd

& Gilmour solo albums. It is a 1969 Fender Stratocaster that has been modified

through the years. It has had at least 3 different necks installed since new.

 

The purchase price is said to have been a bit north of 3 million dollars.

 

David Gilmour has sold most of his iconic guitars via Christies Auction & all

the proceeds are going to charity.

 

The Colts owner is a serious collector of musical instruments & also owns the

piano used by John Lennon to write the famous song Imagine.

 

I would love a tour of Jim Irsay's collection some day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder the Colts don't  pursue free agents, Irsay would rather spend his money on toys rather than trying to build the team.

 

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's not something I believe.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No wonder the Colts don't  pursue free agents, Irsay would rather spend his money on toys rather than trying to build the team.

 

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's not something I believe.

 

 

 

But you said it anyway.

i spend money on watches and golf clubs.  Some spend it on booze and women.  Some gamble it away.

Something tells me 4 million to Jim is like a few grand to us.

Never judge a man how he spends HIS money.

 

I dont think you were but some will jump on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a music lover, I can only dream of having enough money to collect instruments and memorabilia of the artists I love. 

 

And it went to a good cause.

 

but....like Coffeedrinker said. :facepalm:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Strat! I'm an LP man myself but can always appreciate a good guitar.  His collection is legendary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Nice Strat! I'm an LP man myself but can always appreciate a good guitar.  His collection is legendary. 

I’m a Les Paul guy too..but if I’m going to have a strat, Gilmores is the one I’d want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No wonder the Colts don't  pursue free agents, Irsay would rather spend his money on toys rather than trying to build the team.

 

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's not something I believe.

 

 

 

 

Brother that is not a toy. Thats a part of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Brother that is not a toy. Thats a part of history.

Just played Comfortably Numb at band practice last night...we crush it. 

 

Nice job, Jim! In the essence of what CR91 said....that instrument is iconic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

 

Brother that is not a toy. Thats a part of history.

You do know my post was tongue in cheek right?

 

I'm not that into historic musical instruments but even I would love to tour Irsay's acquisitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

You do know my post was tongue in cheek right?

 

I'm not that into historic musical instruments but even I would love to tour Irsay's acquisitions.

 

I got the jest. Just saying its basically like a work of art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CamMo said:

As a music lover, I can only dream of having enough money to collect instruments and memorabilia of the artists I love. 

 

And it went to a good cause.

 

but....like Coffeedrinker said. :facepalm:

 

 

 

While the values differ greatly, i realize, i too have a instrument collection of sorts.

  I'm a drummer. (Or was, back in a he day, tho i still play at home). My dad was a drummer.  Both my older brothers are drummers.  Heck, one of my nephews is too.  Both my brothers, i , and my dad gigged in the day.  My hayday was the mid to late 80s and early nineties.

  Anyway, my oldest brother and my dad are no longer with us.... but i have their drum kits!  A circa 60's ringo starr type ludwig kit, and an OLD Rogers kit (my dads).  Of course i have my over-the-top Neil Peart style kit.

Lets just say dinner time growing up was noisy.  My poor mother ms nerves are still shot.

imagine the neighbors thinking "ok , he's getting older...". Then BAM next noisy son in line.  And of course you always jam at the drummer's house.  Jam till the parents say its getting a lil late.. haha.

anyway, those 2 drum kits mean as much to me as ANY guitar means to Jim, i'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 4 million bucks, I hope it at least came with a pick and a Mel Bay instruction book. :banana:

 

 

mediocre guitar player.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

I have Slash's hat. 

 

I also have the dog bone Dee Snyder is holding on the cover of Stay Hungry.

I have the back-half of the bat that Ozzie bit the head off in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

For 4 million bucks, I hope it at least came with a pick and a Mel Bay instruction book. :banana:

 

 

mediocre guitar player.jpg

For 4 million bucks it should play by itself  like a player piano.

No, actually, it should come WITH david Gilmore.  Haha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, WoolMagnet said:

But you said it anyway.

i spend money on watches and golf clubs.  Some spend it on booze and women.  Some gamble it away.

Something tells me 4 million to Jim is like a few grand to us.

Never judge a man how he spends HIS money.

 

I dont think you were but some will jump on this.

I spent some time as a serious collector of vintage guitars. I'm no where near the collector Mr. Irsay is. I don't have his capital. I've owned hundreds of guitars in my lifetime. The most I've owned at one time has been 34. I don't have anywhere near that today. I have shrunk down to 7 of my favorite guitars that I will keep & pass down to my son some day. I play them all in regular rotation & would love to get my hands on some of the wonderful, iconic instruments now owned by Mr. Irsay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete Townshend called him the best, good enough for me.  What a great piece to add to his collection!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, I wish I'd picked up a bunch of Strats back in the 60s. Every kid in California thought he could be a rock star, and either bought a Strat or a Tele. After a few months in a garage with some equally untalented buddies, they were giving it up. You could buy all the barely-used, pre-CBS Strats you wanted for half of what they paid for it, and sometimes they'd throw in the amp just to get some of their money back. And investment in plain old "unfamous" Strats would have probably done a bit better than the stock market since those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I have the back-half of the bat that Ozzie bit the head off in the 80s.

Awesome. I'm working on getting a paper cup half full of water that Elvis Presley drank out of at a concert. It's been frozen to preserve the water.

 

I'm not kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Heck, I wish I'd picked up a bunch of Strats back in the 60s. Every kid in California thought he could be a rock star, and either bought a Strat or a Tele. After a few months in a garage with some equally untalented buddies, they were giving it up. You could buy all the barely-used, pre-CBS Strats you wanted for half of what they paid for it, and sometimes they'd throw in the amp just to get some of their money back. And investment in plain old "unfamous" Strats would have probably done a bit better than the stock market since those days.

Just do what me and my buddy did. During the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street recording sessiions, we broke in their little bungalow and stole their guitars. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I spent some time as a serious collector of vintage guitars. I'm no where near the collector Mr. Irsay is. I don't have his capital. I've owned hundreds of guitars in my lifetime. The most I've owned at one time has been 34. I don't have anywhere near that today. I have shrunk down to 7 of my favorite guitars that I will keep & pass down to my son some day. I play them all in regular rotation & would love to get my hands on some of the wonderful, iconic instruments now owned by Mr. Irsay.

Own them yes, but even just to hold or play them.

The stories they could tell.  And they all have their own unique "voices."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Awesome. I'm working on getting a paper cup half full of water that Elvis Presley drank out of at a concert. It's been frozen to preserve the water.

 

I'm not kidding.

I wouldnt dare to doubt you.

 

but i admit the bat thing WAS a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Just do what me and my buddy did. During the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street recording sessiions, we broke in their little bungalow and stole their guitars. Good times.

When i was in college Cheap Trick played at my college.  I was in charge of "guarding" Rick Neilsen's guitars.  Yes , even the two-neck mini version of him.  I remember throwing his guitar picks at my friends over a wall. Kept one myself too. Good thing he didnt run out, i may have had one of those guitars stuck in a VERY uncomfortable place.

  I was awe-struck of Bun E. Carlos.  One of my faves after Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker, and Buddy Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stupidly sold my Les Paul custom because we needed the money at the time.  Now my son is older and is an accomplished musician and I am sick that I never got to hand it down to him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

When i was in college Cheap Trick played at my college.  I was in charge of "guarding" Rick Neilsen's guitars.  Yes , even the two-neck mini version of him.  I remember throwing his guitar picks at my friends over a wall. Kept one myself too. Good thing he didnt run out, i may have had one of those guitars stuck in a VERY uncomfortable place.

  I was awe-struck of Bun E. Carlos.  One of my faves after Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker, and Buddy Rich.

Live at Budakon was the greatest live album ever 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Colt said:

Live at Budakon was the greatest live album ever 

 

I wore out that LP and supertramp breakfast in america LP at about the same time.  1982ish?  I still have them tho. I kept ALL my vinyl thankfully.  Have a system dedicated to vinyl.

cheap trick at budokan and the cars LPs changed my life musically.  Loved me some Billy Squier in the day too.  Cut my drumming teeth on Van Halen and Def Leppard tho. Then i stumbled on Rush and had my mind blown the first time i saw Stewart Copeland. "POW"

 Best concert ever tho (and there were many) was u2 Joshua Tour in Tampa Stadium. U2 at their peak...show #104 of 110 shows in a us/europe/back to us tour.  They were flawless.  Dec 5th 1987.  58,864 people plus ME.  none other came close .  Not even the time me and about 25,000 people were simultaneously struck by lightning at a Def Leppard /Quiet Riot /Krokus concert. Judas Priest, however.....

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing drums since 1964 (I was 9 and was inspired by the Beatles).

 

Hoping to get out to Indy this year and jam at the Slippery Noodle open mic.

 

  Do they still have that? Is that on Wednesday’s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what a collector's item! Gilmore is on the shortlist of all time great guitarists

 

I saw Pink Floyd (-roger waters) at the Hoosier Dome in '87 or '88. Someone died jumping off the upper level during learning to fly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Wow what a collector's item! Gilmore is on the shortlist of all time great guitarists

 

I saw Pink Floyd (-roger waters) at the Hoosier Dome in '87 or '88. Someone died jumping off the upper level during learning to fly

Sad about that person that died RIP. I remember hearing about that. Learning to Fly was a great song. Pink Floyd has a lot of great songs. Of course Brick in the Wall, Run, Money, Comfortably Numb, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Wow what a collector's item! Gilmore is on the shortlist of all time great guitarists

 

I saw Pink Floyd (-roger waters) at the Hoosier Dome in '87 or '88. Someone died jumping off the upper level during learning to fly

He survived the fall.    Very injured however.   I was at that concert as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He survived the fall.    Very injured however.   I was at that concert as well

 

That's good to know. Thanks. Most people's memories are a bit 'foggy' of that night :D

 

I waited up all night outside Karma records and tapes to get tickets. We were in row 29 on the floor, good seats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He survived the fall.    Very injured however.   I was at that concert as well

That is good to hear, I thought I read about someone dying at that concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Your opinion is wrong though. Like usual.   Colts had 7th best Run Defense in the league last year.   https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T&sort=rushypg
    • The 2021 draft is going to be such a mess with college conferences cancelling seasons. Some are moving seasons to spring then going to expect them to play again in the fall. How many will opt out of the spring session and only play fall. What about guys who red one more year removed from HS to be eligible fir the draft. Will it force guys like Trevor Lawrence to stay in school a extra year. I am not sure how a draft will even be able to ge done in 2021. A lot of players are going to be losing a lot of money if they opt out and enter the draft. 
    • LOL. Did you watch any of the games last season?   Also, Okereke is 6-1, 235 lbs, basically the same size as Patrick Willis and Luke Keuchly, except with longer arms and also runs a 4.58 40. I’d take the increased arm length and athleticism over 0.0001 centimeters in height any day. 
    • I think S depth may trump OL depth right now.  Hooker's battled injuries most of his career and the fact he wasn't extended and given some of Ballard's pressers (basically saying Hooker's play dropped off throughout the year in 2019 and he wasn't playing to his level of expectations) and the fact we drafted Blackmon in Rd 3 lead me to believe the FO/Coaching Staff is getting ready to move on from him.     Willis played well as a rookie, but I still see him as a guy who is just about at his ceiling given his limited athleticism.  Rutledge looks like a playmaker but he went undrafted for a reason and he's a rookie coming from a small school, so it'd be hard to expect him to adjust to the NFL right away, especially given this weird off season.  I like Odum more as a STer than a full-time starting safety should we have an injury to Hooker or Willis. Then Tell, while I don't blame him, opting out, IMO, was a big blow to our entire secondary as he was developing nicely at CB but has the versatility to play S if needed (I don't know any of our current corners have that ability, maybe Rhodes).     OL depth is still concerning, but it sounds like Pinter is really impressing coaches as a rookie and I think Clark is versatile enough to be a solid stop gap at G or T if needed.  Hopefully Patterson is back to full health as a backup C (sounds like Big Q or Pinter would be next in line at C if needed).  I guess, I think we're so strong with our starting OL (with Glowinski being the weak link, but not really that weak of a link) that I feel like a single replacement there would not be as devastating to one of our starting S going down right now.  Regardless, it'd be nice to have a few more guys competing across the OL.
    • It has to be odd signing FAs now, since teams aren't allowed to work them out.  I guess one would hope that these guys have been keeping themselves in shape throughout the offseason, but it'd still be nice to be able to work them out before signing them.   Safety now is, IMO, the team's biggest concern.  I think we're fine w/ Hooker and Willis as starters, though Hooker's had injury issues throughout his time in the NFL (and prior).  I like Odum, but like him more as a STer than a guy we have to rely on being a starter for an extended time if one of our top 2 go down.  Then Blackmon is still on the injured list, and I don't expect him to be full strength to the middle of the season (if not later).  The UDFA, Rutledge, was a playmaker but from a small school and went undrafted for a reason, so I'm not too sure that we should expect anything out of him in terms of being reliable if he had to play a lot of minutes.   Geathers is still a FA and I know Ballard really seemed to like him.  I'm wondering if him not being signed or brought up in discussion is a health issue (i.e., can't pass a physical), a major health concern (given his injury history), demanding too much $, or if the team has simply moved on from him.    Personally, I like the fact we're looking at Tavon Wilson, he's a former 2nd round draft pick who had his best NFL year last season, starting 13 games in Detroit and recording 98 tackles, 2 fumble recovers and 5 passes defended.  
  • Members

    • rock8591

      rock8591 1,145

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CurBeatElite

      CurBeatElite 825

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 603

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 579

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 574

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 1,757

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hwy95

      Hwy95 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lucky Colts Fan

      Lucky Colts Fan 6,409

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 9,006

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtMan

      ColtMan 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...