Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay now owns David Gilmour's famous black Stratocaster....

coltsfansince65

I didn't see this posted anywhere. I hope this is the right place to post this.

Irsay has purchased this iconic guitar that has been used on many Pink Floyd

& Gilmour solo albums. It is a 1969 Fender Stratocaster that has been modified

through the years. It has had at least 3 different necks installed since new.

The purchase price is said to have been a bit north of 3 million dollars.

David Gilmour has sold most of his iconic guitars via Christies Auction & all

the proceeds are going to charity.

The Colts owner is a serious collector of musical instruments & also owns the

piano used by John Lennon to write the famous song Imagine.

I would love a tour of Jim Irsay's collection some day.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No wonder the Colts don't  pursue free agents, Irsay would rather spend his money on toys rather than trying to build the team.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's not something I believe.

But you said it anyway.

i spend money on watches and golf clubs.  Some spend it on booze and women.  Some gamble it away.

Something tells me 4 million to Jim is like a few grand to us.

Never judge a man how he spends HIS money.

I dont think you were but some will jump on this.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No wonder the Colts don't  pursue free agents, Irsay would rather spend his money on toys rather than trying to build the team.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  It's not something I believe.

Brother that is not a toy. Thats a part of history.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Brother that is not a toy. Thats a part of history.

Just played Comfortably Numb at band practice last night...we crush it. 

Nice job, Jim! In the essence of what CR91 said....that instrument is iconic. 

• Like 2

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

You do know my post was tongue in cheek right?

I'm not that into historic musical instruments but even I would love to tour Irsay's acquisitions.

I got the jest. Just saying its basically like a work of art.

2 hours ago, CamMo said:

As a music lover, I can only dream of having enough money to collect instruments and memorabilia of the artists I love. 

And it went to a good cause.

but....like Coffeedrinker said. :facepalm:

While the values differ greatly, i realize, i too have a instrument collection of sorts.

I'm a drummer. (Or was, back in a he day, tho i still play at home). My dad was a drummer.  Both my older brothers are drummers.  Heck, one of my nephews is too.  Both my brothers, i , and my dad gigged in the day.  My hayday was the mid to late 80s and early nineties.

Anyway, my oldest brother and my dad are no longer with us.... but i have their drum kits!  A circa 60's ringo starr type ludwig kit, and an OLD Rogers kit (my dads).  Of course i have my over-the-top Neil Peart style kit.

Lets just say dinner time growing up was noisy.  My poor mother ms nerves are still shot.

imagine the neighbors thinking "ok , he's getting older...". Then BAM next noisy son in line.  And of course you always jam at the drummer's house.  Jam till the parents say its getting a lil late.. haha.

anyway, those 2 drum kits mean as much to me as ANY guitar means to Jim, i'm sure.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Same here. It would definitely be amazing to see everything. I should ask Jim if he wouldn't mind sending a donation to pay off some student loans, it's for a good cause. lol 

13 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

For 4 million bucks, I hope it at least came with a pick and a Mel Bay instruction book. :banana:

mediocre guitar player.jpg

For 4 million bucks it should play by itself  like a player piano.

No, actually, it should come WITH david Gilmore.  Haha

On 6/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, WoolMagnet said:

But you said it anyway.

i spend money on watches and golf clubs.  Some spend it on booze and women.  Some gamble it away.

Something tells me 4 million to Jim is like a few grand to us.

Never judge a man how he spends HIS money.

I dont think you were but some will jump on this.

I spent some time as a serious collector of vintage guitars. I'm no where near the collector Mr. Irsay is. I don't have his capital. I've owned hundreds of guitars in my lifetime. The most I've owned at one time has been 34. I don't have anywhere near that today. I have shrunk down to 7 of my favorite guitars that I will keep & pass down to my son some day. I play them all in regular rotation & would love to get my hands on some of the wonderful, iconic instruments now owned by Mr. Irsay.

Heck, I wish I'd picked up a bunch of Strats back in the 60s. Every kid in California thought he could be a rock star, and either bought a Strat or a Tele. After a few months in a garage with some equally untalented buddies, they were giving it up. You could buy all the barely-used, pre-CBS Strats you wanted for half of what they paid for it, and sometimes they'd throw in the amp just to get some of their money back. And investment in plain old "unfamous" Strats would have probably done a bit better than the stock market since those days.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I have the back-half of the bat that Ozzie bit the head off in the 80s.

Awesome. I'm working on getting a paper cup half full of water that Elvis Presley drank out of at a concert. It's been frozen to preserve the water.

I'm not kidding.

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Heck, I wish I'd picked up a bunch of Strats back in the 60s. Every kid in California thought he could be a rock star, and either bought a Strat or a Tele. After a few months in a garage with some equally untalented buddies, they were giving it up. You could buy all the barely-used, pre-CBS Strats you wanted for half of what they paid for it, and sometimes they'd throw in the amp just to get some of their money back. And investment in plain old "unfamous" Strats would have probably done a bit better than the stock market since those days.

Just do what me and my buddy did. During the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street recording sessiions, we broke in their little bungalow and stole their guitars. Good times.

9 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I spent some time as a serious collector of vintage guitars. I'm no where near the collector Mr. Irsay is. I don't have his capital. I've owned hundreds of guitars in my lifetime. The most I've owned at one time has been 34. I don't have anywhere near that today. I have shrunk down to 7 of my favorite guitars that I will keep & pass down to my son some day. I play them all in regular rotation & would love to get my hands on some of the wonderful, iconic instruments now owned by Mr. Irsay.

Own them yes, but even just to hold or play them.

The stories they could tell.  And they all have their own unique "voices."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Awesome. I'm working on getting a paper cup half full of water that Elvis Presley drank out of at a concert. It's been frozen to preserve the water.

I'm not kidding.

I wouldnt dare to doubt you.

but i admit the bat thing WAS a joke.

4 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Just do what me and my buddy did. During the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street recording sessiions, we broke in their little bungalow and stole their guitars. Good times.

When i was in college Cheap Trick played at my college.  I was in charge of "guarding" Rick Neilsen's guitars.  Yes , even the two-neck mini version of him.  I remember throwing his guitar picks at my friends over a wall. Kept one myself too. Good thing he didnt run out, i may have had one of those guitars stuck in a VERY uncomfortable place.

I was awe-struck of Bun E. Carlos.  One of my faves after Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker, and Buddy Rich.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

When i was in college Cheap Trick played at my college.  I was in charge of "guarding" Rick Neilsen's guitars.  Yes , even the two-neck mini version of him.  I remember throwing his guitar picks at my friends over a wall. Kept one myself too. Good thing he didnt run out, i may have had one of those guitars stuck in a VERY uncomfortable place.

I was awe-struck of Bun E. Carlos.  One of my faves after Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker, and Buddy Rich.

Live at Budakon was the greatest live album ever 

1 hour ago, Iron Colt said:

Live at Budakon was the greatest live album ever 

I wore out that LP and supertramp breakfast in america LP at about the same time.  1982ish?  I still have them tho. I kept ALL my vinyl thankfully.  Have a system dedicated to vinyl.

cheap trick at budokan and the cars LPs changed my life musically.  Loved me some Billy Squier in the day too.  Cut my drumming teeth on Van Halen and Def Leppard tho. Then i stumbled on Rush and had my mind blown the first time i saw Stewart Copeland. "POW"

Best concert ever tho (and there were many) was u2 Joshua Tour in Tampa Stadium. U2 at their peak...show #104 of 110 shows in a us/europe/back to us tour.  They were flawless.  Dec 5th 1987.  58,864 people plus ME.  none other came close .  Not even the time me and about 25,000 people were simultaneously struck by lightning at a Def Leppard /Quiet Riot /Krokus concert. Judas Priest, however.....

5 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Wow what a collector's item! Gilmore is on the shortlist of all time great guitarists

I saw Pink Floyd (-roger waters) at the Hoosier Dome in '87 or '88. Someone died jumping off the upper level during learning to fly

Sad about that person that died RIP. I remember hearing about that. Learning to Fly was a great song. Pink Floyd has a lot of great songs. Of course Brick in the Wall, Run, Money, Comfortably Numb, etc..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Wow what a collector's item! Gilmore is on the shortlist of all time great guitarists

I saw Pink Floyd (-roger waters) at the Hoosier Dome in '87 or '88. Someone died jumping off the upper level during learning to fly

He survived the fall.    Very injured however.   I was at that concert as well

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He survived the fall.    Very injured however.   I was at that concert as well

That's good to know. Thanks. Most people's memories are a bit 'foggy' of that night :D

I waited up all night outside Karma records and tapes to get tickets. We were in row 29 on the floor, good seats!

• Like 3