Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts rank 4th in "Franchise QBs since 1967"

Lucky Colts Fan

Ranking done by Ali Bhanpuri of NFL.com.

nfl-teams-ranked-by-their-franchise-qbs-cowboys-49ers-on-top

1.  Dallas Cowboys  (Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Troy Aikman, Danny White, Roger Staubach)

2.  San Francisco 49ers (Alex Smith, Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, Joe Montana, John Brodie)

3.  Green Bay Packers (Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre)

4.  Indianapolis Colts (Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas)

The Colts' franchise QBs have combined for six MVPs and 17 Pro Bowls since '67, and that number will surely increase as Luck's career continues. They can't top the Super Bowl titles (or appearances) belonging to the Broncos, but their individual accolades are unmatched. The Colts' transfer of power from Manning to Luck was about as good as it gets, and both have more than lived up to their billing as first overall picks. I'm (maybe unfairly) giving Indy a boost over the Broncos because the Colts currently have their franchise QB, and he's still playing at an elite level.

colts should be third with Denver close behind.  denver would be over indy if we dont count Unitas from Baltimore 

rodgers might be the best passer the league has ever seen, but he hasnt been durable, or lifted his teammates the way other all time great QBs did

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Elway played for the Colts, we don't get Peyton in all likelyhood (and possibly Luck). Big domino effect there unless Elway before 98 and we have the no1 pick to get Peyton.

Colts in 97 had a terrible record primarily because of a pathetic O-line. Would Elway have fared any better than Harbaugh/Justin when the Colt's QB's were sacked 62 times? We'll never know!

Absolutely NO way Green Bay should be ahead of the Colts.  

Manning > Favre

Andrew Luck + Bert Jones + Johnny Unitas  >>>>>>>>>> than Aaron Rodgers

i would actually say none of the others are ahead of the Colts either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, egg said:

Colts in 97 had a terrible record primarily because of a pathetic O-line. Would Elway have fared any better than Harbaugh/Justin when the Colt's QB's were sacked 62 times? We'll never know!

they probably would not have been great, but a team with elway isnt getting the #1 pick

19 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Absolutely NO way Green Bay should be ahead of the Colts.  

Manning > Favre

Andrew Luck + Bert Jones + Johnny Unitas  >>>>>>>>>> than Aaron Rodgers

i would actually say none of the others are ahead of the Colts either. 

They forgot to mention Bart Starr. That tips the scale. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

colts should be third with Denver close behind.  denver would be over indy if we dont count Unitas from Baltimore 

rodgers might be the best passer the league has ever seen, but he hasnt been durable, or lifted his teammates the way other all time great QBs did

Lol I'd take Peyton any day of the of the week over Rogers. Any day! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

Lol I'd take Peyton any day of the of the week over Rogers. Any day! 

oh me too, and its not close

i still think AR is better at throwing footballs, but not being an overall QB

• Like 2

If Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers are there, then Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady belong there too. The problem is this guy left out Bart Starr, that can make a case for it to be just behind the Colts, IMO. :peek:

On a serious note, both the above cases account for longevity and 2 decades of success for a franchise but I would have to say the Colts, including the Baltimore Colts probably have 3 decades of success at least, and thus have a leg up on pretty much every franchise. If we separated Baltimore and Indy, it would be a different story.

• Like 2

This is an absolute farce. Peyton and Unitas destroy everyone and I mean everyone except maybe and I say maybe Montana and young. Garcia was pretty mediocre from what I remember. I think once luck is all done all doubt will be gone which franchise should be 1 even amongst the biggest colts haters.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cbear said:

Bert Jones....if not for that shoulder injury, who knows what might have been. 

And even with the shortened career, he still fit in a league MVP award.  Fact of the matter is, during his time healthy, he was the premier QB in the league.   Better than Bradshaw, better than Staubach, better than Stabler, and better than Fouts.  If not for the injury, Bert Jones would have been a HOF lock.

Unitas, Jones, Manning, & Luck ... without any hesitation, that Colts foursome trumps all others put out there by the article.  Montana & Young are hard to beat as a twosome, but throw in two other QBs and it’s pretty obvious to me that no franchise can match the Colts for stellar QBs.  

• Like 7

If their criteria was the championships, you could put NE there.  I think Brady alone has more playoff wins and SBs than any group on that list.  Which is another dumb list.  Man, the season can't get here soon enough...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Unitas > Starr, so methinks the scale is not tipped. 

Itd say its pretty even. Manning is obviously better then Favre, but Rodgers as just a pure passer is better then Andrew

19 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

LOL.  Dak Prescott and Danny White.

Danny White was a great punter but would be the equivalent to say...Jim Harbaugh who isn't even on our list.

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

They didnt list starr 

That's honestly a big miss!

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

Danny White was a great punter but would be the equivalent to say...Jim Harbaugh who isn't even on our list.

Danny White should've been a SB winning QB in the 1981 season. SF got lucky in the NFC Title game. He was a very good QB but to your point Jim Harbaugh should've been in the SB in 1995. We got cheated at Pitt.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:15 AM, CR91 said:

Itd say its pretty even. Manning is obviously better then Favre, but Rodgers as just a pure passer is better then Andrew

Vs GreenBay ...

Unitas > Starr

Jones > whatever mediocrity GB had in the 70s

Manning > Favre

Luck < Rodgers (so far, but that may change depending on Rodger’s and Luck’s next bunch of years).

Colts win vs GB, currently by a score of 3-1!

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Vs GreenBay ...

Unitas > Starr

Jones > whatever mediocrity GB had in the 70s

Manning > Favre

Luck < Rodgers (so far, but that may change depending on Rodger’s and Luck’s next bunch of years).

Colts win vs GB, currently by a score of 3-1!

Youre forgetting the great Lynn Dickey haha