Indianapolis Colts
MTC

Rex Hogan heading back to the Jets' Front Office

Basically taking the same role as Ed Dodds with the Jets. 

And he'll be a GM soon. 

Hopefully Dodds is true to form and loves the role he's in. Would be nice to keep him for the longterm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And he'll be a GM soon. 

Hopefully Dodds is true to form and loves the role he's in. Would be nice to keep him for the longterm.

I think so. He's said that he doesn't like the responsibilities of being a GM. There's no huge upgrade for him, and it's not like the Colts have terrible ownership/FO, so I could see him staying for a while, unless he changes him mind about becoming a GM.

Good for Rex. He appears highly respected throughout the league.

It's always one thing for someone to assemble a strong staff (whether it be personnel or coaching) to start with but the question always comes down can they maintain a strong staff? Time will tell how well Ballard does this.

• Like 1

No disrespect to Mr. Hogan, but one door closed means another one opened.

Do you promote from within the Colts or do you post this job and hire the best from outside?

Nice to see teams eyeing our staff. Colts upping the level of talent everywhere...

On 6/18/2019 at 7:20 PM, ar7 said:

Good for Rex. He appears highly respected throughout the league.

Yes, Good addition (Hogan as asst. GM) for the Jets.

It's always one thing for someone to assemble a strong staff (whether it be personnel or coaching) to start with but the question always comes down can they maintain a strong staff?

Joe Douglas is on his way to building a good front office.  He has (or is) also expected to hire Chad Alexander of the Ravens and Phil Savage

In a demonstration of ties and loyalty in the NFL, Savage was director of College Scouting and then Director of Player Personnel in the early 2000's with the Ravens when Joe Douglas was hired on as a scout. Now Joe hires him (or supposedly soon will) for his staff.

Time will tell how well Ballard does this.

Time will tell, but he's done well so far and I'm not losing sleep over it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Nice to see teams eyeing our staff. Colts upping the level of talent everywhere...

What's nice about getting your staff poached? Unless he was no good or the Colts have a better man, I don't like it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

What's nice about getting your staff poached? Unless he was no good or the Colts have a better man, I don't like it.

Agreed. This just takes away one of our better scouts. Hurts us, and helps the Jets. Now we have to replace Hogan with someone of equal value (which is hard to do), and have him learn and buy in to Ballard's philosophies. I don't know Rex Hogan personally, so it's hard for me to get excited for his promotion at the expense of the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm just surprised the Jets did something right.

I know, right?

First it was Dorsey w/Browns and Eliot Wolf.  Now it's Douglas w/Jets and Hogan, Alexander, and Savage.  It's like these teams are now actually trying (to be relevant!)   ;)

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

It's just a reality though.  If people are good at what they do there will be opportunities to move up.  So another function of upper management is to always be developing talent and scouting for talent - not just players but every function of the organization.

I used to work for a very large company (100,000 + employees) that the expectation was you should be looking for a new position every 2 years.  If you stayed in the same job over 3 years you were looked at with suspicion of being a loser. 

I am sure ballard already has someone on his staff he will promote. If I remember right he mentioned how he always has a list of people ready to promote when someone leaves.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It's just a reality though.  If people are good at what they do there will be opportunities to move up.  So another function of upper management is to always be developing talent and scouting for talent - not just players but every function of the organization.

I used to work for a very large company (100,000 + employees) that the expectation was you should be looking for a new position every 2 years.  If you stayed in the same job over 3 years you were looked at with suspicion of being a loser. 

Large corporations are where everyone advances to their level of incompetence!  haha 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, MTC said:

Basically taking the same role as Ed Dodds with the Jets. 

I can root for most past colts moving to other teams but to the Jets i cannot.  I do hope he fails there only to succeed elsewhere.  

31 minutes ago, gspdx said:

That's just stupid. Maybe an employee likes his position does a great job and doesn't want to change locations. He is a loser really?????

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I go the other way on this.  I think it is an outstanding representation of the quality culture and organization that Indy has and is developing.  I think you want people to be in demand.  People in and outside of the building notice that there is a path forward, even if it means leaving the Colts.  I also think it reflects well on the pipeline that Ballard believes he has internally.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

Do you promote from within the Colts or do you post this job and hire the best from outside?

indeed has a decent success rate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I can root for most past colts moving to other teams but to the Jets i cannot.  I do hope he fails there only to succeed elsewhere.  

Why? Jets have been harmless for years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTC said:

I agree with this. There's nothing wrong with the Jets besides being from NY, and SB III, which 90% of us weren't alive for or have little memory of anyway.

15 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

Look for Morocco Brown to be promoted.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

I’d put an ad out on Craigslist.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

What's nice about getting your staff poached? 

Like us getting Ballard from KC? Polian from the Panthers? 

If no one is trying to get your staff, your not very good. BTW, I said "eyeing".... you said "poached". 

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, Good addition (Hogan as asst. GM) for the Jets.

Joe Douglas is on his way to building a good front office.  He has (or is) expected to hire Chad Alexander of the Ravens and also Phil Savage

In a demonstration of ties and loyalty in the NFL, Savage was director of College Scouting and then Director of Player Personnel in the early 2000's with the Ravens when Joe Douglas was hired as a scout. Now Joe hires him for his staff.

Time will tell, but he's done well so far and I'm not losing sleep over it.

Jets should be a very good team in a couple years.

6 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

That's just stupid. Maybe an employee likes his position does a great job and doesn't want to change locations. He is a loser really?????

Because of this culture the first thought for many people when a new project or role within the job came along was "how will this hurt/help my career?"

Very large high tech company.

8 hours ago, MTC said:

I grew up in ny.  Became a colts fan out of hatred for the jets and their fans (some of whom were friends of mine growing up)

• Like 1