Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Pennock

Defensive Backfield Depth.....?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

It's just math. Let's say we keep 10 DBs like we did to start last year, and it's split 5 CBs and 5 Ss. On the depth chart, we always show 3 FSs and 2 SSs. Willis is a strong safety, and probably more accurately a box safety in the NFL. So He's competing for one of two SS spots. If you think he's going to beat out Kindred and Farley, then OK, but it's anything from a lock. I get we traded up for him, but he's not a great athlete and rather limited. And keep in mind that MSU was 64th vs the pass, and #1 vs the run. And we play a ton of good QBs this year. My bet is the practice squad. 

 

Saftey

Likely locks (2) - FS Hooker 87%, SS Geathers 68%

 

Competing

3. FS Odum 19% made great use of snaps when Hooker was out.

4. SS Kindred 42% (Browns) - good depth if injuries are behind him. Signed in April

5. SS Farley 14% - Good when healthy - Colts tendered him at second round level in March

6. SS Willis - rook

7/8. Milligan / Johnson

 

 

For kicks, here's my thoughts on CB too since Tell could impact both CB and S....

Also to note, as the year went along, we used a lot more 3 CB lines ups (65%ish of the time) vs 3 S lineups (20%ish of the time). Another reason we might keep 6 CBs and only 4 Ss. 

 

Cornerback

Likely locks (4) - Desir 86%, Moore 87%, Wilson 42%, RYS

 

Competing for that 5th. or 5th and 6th spot(s) and ranked

5. Collins - if his PED days are behind him, there's a lot of talent there

6. Harriston 39%

7. Tell (he's a hybrid S/CB and may be a reason they keep 6 CBs and only 4 Ss

8. Milton 5%

9. Taylor

 

Hey, that is a lot of words, math and speculation.  But unless Willis is Zach Banner level bad, he is not getting cut out of camp.  It really is as simple as that.  

 

Knowing how the NFL works, Geathers, Odum and Farley have a better chance of being cut than Willis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

It's just math. Let's say we keep 10 DBs like we did to start last year, and it's split 5 CBs and 5 Ss. On the depth chart, we always show 3 FSs and 2 SSs. Willis is a strong safety, and probably more accurately a box safety in the NFL. So He's competing for one of two SS spots. If you think he's going to beat out Kindred and Farley, then OK, but it's anything from a lock. I get we traded up for him, but he's not a great athlete and rather limited. And keep in mind that MSU was 64th vs the pass, and #1 vs the run. And we play a ton of good QBs this year. My bet is the practice squad. 

 

Saftey

Likely locks (2) - FS Hooker 87%, SS Geathers 68%

 

Competing

3. FS Odum 19% made great use of snaps when Hooker was out.

4. SS Kindred 42% (Browns) - good depth if injuries are behind him. Signed in April

5. SS Farley 14% - Good when healthy - Colts tendered him at second round level in March

6. SS Willis - rook

7/8. Milligan / Johnson

 

 

For kicks, here's my thoughts on CB too since Tell could impact both CB and S....

Also to note, as the year went along, we used a lot more 3 CB lines ups (65%ish of the time) vs 3 S lineups (20%ish of the time). Another reason we might keep 6 CBs and only 4 Ss. 

 

Cornerback

Likely locks (4) - Desir 86%, Moore 87%, Wilson 42%, RYS

 

Competing for that 5th. or 5th and 6th spot(s) and ranked

5. Collins - if his PED days are behind him, there's a lot of talent there

6. Harriston 39%

7. Tell (he's a hybrid S/CB and may be a reason they keep 6 CBs and only 4 Ss

8. Milton 5%

9. Taylor

 

 

Willis would have to be awful in camp not to make it.  You don't trade up in the middle rounds to get a guy you're going to cut unless it's a huge whiff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wig said:

 

 

Willis would have to be awful in camp not to make it.  You don't trade up in the middle rounds to get a guy you're going to cut unless it's a huge whiff. 

 

"That's right!!!"  said Terrell Basham and Zach Banner.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The only injury I recall of Kindreds was his broken collarbone that he played his entire senior year at TCU with.....? In the pro's not so much.

 

Not to be argumentative, however, Geathers was signed the day before Houston as the next to last free agent we signed.

 

For the record though, Kindred was signed off of waivers about 13 days after Geathers and Houston were signed.

 

Still getting to the point where availability starts to count when other talented options are available.

 

I like Geathers, don't get me wrong, jist think he's on a short leash.

Kindred broke his ankle in 2016 and injured his wrist in 2017. Both years went to IR. 2018 was better for him, but IIRC from my buddy, both his ankle and wrist were aggravated at one time or another.

 

Geathers is on a short leash due to injury concerns. He's much more talented than Kindred. My buddy who is a an uber Browns fan, said "he's OK depth guy. makes big hits, but can whiff occasionally. ok in coverage. good depth, but not someone you want starting full time".. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

Hey, that is a lot of words, math and speculation.  But unless Willis is Zach Banner level bad, he is not getting cut out of camp.  It really is as simple as that.  

 

Knowing how the NFL works, Geathers, Odum and Farley have a better chance of being cut than Willis.  

that's some Zach Banner level speculation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

"That's right!!!"  said Terrell Basham and Zach Banner.

 

Basham was waived in the middle of year 2.  Banner was a huge whiff but they didn't trade up for him. 

 

But anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wig said:

 

 

Willis would have to be awful in camp not to make it.  You don't trade up in the middle rounds to get a guy you're going to cut unless it's a huge whiff. 

 

I get we traded up for him, so obviously Ballard liked him. The rest of the world didn't like him as much. He was graded out at 5.3 (232nd best player in the draft). That's a 7th round grade...We'll see. Hope he kills it and proves me and others wrong, but he's not a lock by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Kindred broke his ankle in 2016 and injured his wrist in 2017. Both years went to IR. 2018 was better for him, but IIRC from my buddy, both his ankle and wrist were aggravated at one time or another.

 

Geathers is on a short leash due to injury concerns. He's much more talented than Kindred. My buddy who is a an uber Browns fan, said "he's OK depth guy. makes big hits, but can whiff occasionally. ok in coverage. good depth, but not someone you want starting full time".. 

Good to know. Thanks for doing the research on that front!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think the FO and coaching staff has developed some sophisticated (?) theories about what combinations of talents, skills, personalities - and probably a host of other properties - that are needed to come together in a competitive football team. We will never know what those theories are, and they may not be valid theories. Time will tell.   Whatever those theories are, they've got to be better than just using gut feelings or guessing (see Oakland Raiders, for example). Gruden wasn't "into" analytics. So if a particular player isn't brought in, there's probably a good reason why. We'll never know that, either.
    • Don't know how I feel about being happy that our opponent's players are potentially out. Seems weak.
    • I think you have nailed what is going to happen   DT on 3rd down is perfect for the guy...... We need DE for downs 1 and 2 not named Turray   He was run over on run plays....... He is a perfect dedicated PASS rusher though and he could get 8-10 sacks in that role
    • I think we’d brought in Ajayi if we were going too by now. I think that notion has long sailed away though
    • Anyone think this guy could make the roster as Moore’s backup instead of Hairston. He has has a pretty good camp. I have not paid attention how he does in games. It seems in camp he has been very physical.
  • Members

    • krunk

      krunk 11,188

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Scott Pennock

      Scott Pennock 1,697

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 8,685

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • alawai

      alawai 887

      Senior Members
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FirsTime

      FirsTime 11

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • tate

      tate 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 1,265

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DarkSuperman87

      DarkSuperman87 3,635

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blindside

      Blindside 11

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 418

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...