Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie giving some love to T.Y

CR91

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I thought what he said about the 50/50 balls was interesting. Never thought of TY as that kind of player. Just love Reggie.

People like to talk about how we've been blessed with QBs. I think we've been just as blessed when it comes to WRs. To go from Marv, to Reggie, to now T.Y. That is 3 HOFers in my book

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

People like to talk about how we've been blessed with QBs. I think we've been just as blessed when it comes to WRs. To go from Marv, to Reggie, to now T.Y. That is 3 HOFers in my book

It will be interesting to see who takes the torch from TY. Will it be Cain or Campbell or somebody not on the roster yet.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

T.Y. is the consummate pro, he doesn't draw the media to him for any other reason than his play on the field. Because of that he rarely gets press until the end of the year when he's up for Pro Bowl consideration.

He often plays hurt, high ankle sprains, ribs and still insists on playing and being there for his team. He makes many sacrifices that he does not get or want recognition  for  We are very lucky to have him as a Colt

42 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Hell, we have Colt fans who still do not think he is a #1 WR. 

I think what some were saying is about 2 or 3 games a s ason he disappears.   Is it coverage, play-calling?

The only weakness i've seen is perhaps getting manhandled at the line.  When he has some space, no problem.

But i have no complaints.  The only real way to improve him is if he would start growing taller.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Hell, we have Colt fans who still do not think he is a #1 WR. 

I don’t know what criteria fans use to define a #1 WR but drawing double coverage, running all the routes and being a guy that opposing coaches have to game plan for puts him in that category for me.

• Like 5

I don't see any of Reggie's examples as 50/50 balls.
 What i saw was T Y having DB's stressed out and extended to try to stay with him and T Y showing Elite ball tracking ability. They were still running with him and he does a great job going for the ball before they can react. Yes, he does this A LOT!
 T Y does disappear even though Andrew is always looking for him. Way to many forced passes his way that get Andrew in trouble. Andrew will get better i hope with all the great coaching up Frank is giving him.

And it should only help T Y when we have better overall weapons to attack D's with. It is coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't see any of Reggie's examples as 50/50 balls.
 What i saw was T Y having DB's stressed out and extended to try to stay with him and T Y showing Elite ball tracking ability. They were still running with him and he does a great job going for the ball before they can react. Yes, he does this A LOT!
 T Y does disappear even though Andrew is always looking for him. Way to many forced passes his way that get Andrew in trouble. Andrew will get better i hope with all the great coaching up Frank is giving him.

And it should only help T Y when we have better overall weapons to attack D's with. It is coming.

I think hes referring more towards T.Y's strong hands and being able to get balls away from defenders. You don't see many ints when he targets T.Y

On 6/17/2019 at 1:36 PM, CR91 said:

I think Reggie will get into the HOF, but it will probably take several years of being on the ballot.

As of now, I don't think TY is on a HOF trajectory.  He only has 1 season with >90 receptions and 0 seasons with 100+.  After 7 seasons, Marvin had 4 100+ reception seasons (including the NFL record 143 receptions).  Reggie had 1 season with 100+ receptions after 7 seasons, but then he had 3 more after that.  TY has also never had a season with over 1,500 yards receiving. Marv had 3 of these and Reggie 1 in their first 7 seasons.

At TY's current pace, if he were to play 13 years like Marvin, he'd wind up with 941 receptions (IMO, 1000 is the absolute minimum # of receptions needed to make it into today's HOF -- and in this passer-friendly era, the number will continue to increase over time).

I really like TY, but when it's all said and done, I think he'll be a HOF candidate but will have a very hard time cracking into it.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Reggie will get into the HOF, but it will probably take several years of being on the ballot.

As of now, I don't think TY is on a HOF trajectory.  He only has 1 season with >90 receptions and 0 seasons with 100+.  After 7 seasons, Marvin had 4 100+ reception seasons (including the NFL record 143 receptions).  Reggie had 1 season with 100+ receptions after 7 seasons, but then he had 3 more after that.  TY has also never had a season with over 1,500 yards receiving. Marv had 3 of these and Reggie 1 in their first 7 seasons.

At TY's current pace, if he were to play 13 years like Marvin, he'd wind up with 941 receptions (IMO, 1000 is the absolute minimum # of receptions needed to make it into today's HOF -- and in this passer-friendly era, the number will continue to increase over time).

I really like TY, but when it's all said and done, I think he'll be a HOF candidate but will have a very hard time cracking into it.

Never said hes a first ballot HOFer. It'll take him awhile, but he is a HOF talent

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Never said hes a first ballot HOFer. It'll take him awhile, but he is a HOF talent

He's going to have to have 7-9 more years producing at the same or better level than he has to be considered.  If we win a few SBs and he performs great in the post-season (like Reggie did), it may be easier on him... but, until then, he's probably (realistically) on the wrong side of the fence.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:58 PM, CurBeatElite said:

He's going to have to have 7-9 more years producing at the same or better level than he has to be considered.  If we win a few SBs and he performs great in the post-season (like Reggie did), it may be easier on him... but, until then, he's probably (realistically) on the wrong side of the fence.

With emphasis on passing game in this era, it may get easier for receivers than in the past. 

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

With emphasis on passing game in this era, it may get easier for receivers than in the past. 

I don't necessarily agree with that... WRs in this era are going to have to have HUGE numbers to be considered for the HOF.

I think 1,000 catches is the minimum to even be considered for the HOF for WRs coming from this era, due to the emphasis on passing.  Unless you do something to totally change the game (e.g., Randy Moss had 982 receptions, but he brought an element to the game that nobody had ever seen prior to him).

Andre Reed barely squeaked into the HOF and had 951 receptions in a much less passer friendly era.  

Hines Ward had 1,000 receptions and isn't in the HOF yet, though he's been eligible for 5 years.  Isaac Bruce had 1,024 receptions and isn't the the HOF yet, though he's been eligible for 7 years.

If TY plays 13 seasons in the NFL, he's on pace to have 941 receptions.  

Don't get me wrong, I like TY a lot.  However, I think his career winds up on the outside looking in, in regards to being  a HOFer.  The guy has shown a lot of courage and he's a great teammate.... but, his game is really built on his speed.  A guy like Larry Fitz who is still producing at a very high level late in his career not only has good speed/quickness but he's got tremendous size and strength.  I could be wrong, but as TY's body slows down with age, I don't see him being able to perform at a very high level like Fitz, mainly because he doesn't have great size or strength.

Also, as Reich is really starting to emphasize the run game and as we have multiple other threats (IMO, since Reggie has been gone, this is the deepest group of WR/TEs we have had in the Luck era), I don't see TY's numbers sky-rocketing.  I think he's still our main guy, and a very talented one at that, but I somewhat expect to see the ball getting distributed more throughout this offense, meaning TY's numbers will not see great improvements.