Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore vs Bob Sanders

1 minute ago, KB said:

Please go into further detail. I dont see Kenny Moore as a hard hitter like Sanders.

Kenny might not hit as hard but he brings the guy down. Kenny is all over the field like sanders was. I just think they bring a lot of the same things to the game. Of course moore play outside corner some. He flies around the field a lot like Sanders.

• Like 1

Kenny is physical for a corner.

But safety is an entirely different beast.

And Sanders was on a short list of incredibly physical safeties.   The only thing that stops him from being with the best is that he was hurt so much he couldn’t play enough to have a fully realized career.

Safety can be a sledgehammer position.   Corner is more of a finesse position.   The comparison is just not apples to apples. 

That takes nothing away from Kenny Moore who is one of my favorite players and I think we’re lucky to have him. 

• Like 4

Sanders was a HOF talent. The guy was a beast. I dont consider Moore a beast. Not that he isn't valuable to the team. Sanders jumped off the tape. Good in run and in coverage. Didnt matter where he was, it was by the ball. Wish he could have stayed healthy because he would be in the HOF. 

• Like 1

Bob was one of the best run stuffing safeties the league has seen.  moore is a decent corner that appears to be getting better...  pff barely has him in the top 40, i dont swear by those ratings but i think he has been a tad over rated around here the past few days 

I'm sorry but they don't compare at all. When healthy and playing Bob was the best of not one of the best safeties in the game. Not only could he stop the bus in his tracks but he was lighting fast and was a serious threat roaming the field. He had unbelievable talent but just couldn't stay on the field. His play is what safeties should dream of. 

Bob, Ed Reed and Troy P were ridiculous and hasn't been close for any other since they left. 

• Like 1

I wasn’t saying Moore is asgood by any stretch. Go watch KM highlights. He seems to be around the ball a lot lot like Sanders was. They both seem to be in the right place at the right time for INT. Moore had some really good tackles. Not as hard which is good because his body won’t break down as easy but he gets it done.

I get where you are coming from, and was really excited with what Eb was getting from him by seasons end.
 The ability to defend the middle of the field may be the #1 thing a D can do in todays NFL. Kenny hasn't earned Elite status YET, but he is looking very good.
 His aggression, tackling ability around the LOS was top notch.
We will see if his pass rush is as effective as it was at seasons end.
 He was showing a high level of quick thinking read and reaction.

When you put all of that together, he was a serious difference maker.
 With a little more quick pressure from out pass rush forcing the ball out quicker, and better LB coverage, Kenny should only increase his passes defended and INT #'s.
 Comparison or no, i believe our managment see's a Stud.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone think their game is similar.  

Two completely different positions and skill sets. Bob Sanders was an Enforcer at Safety. Kenny is kinda a jack of all trades Corner he can do it all but he isn’t knocking anyone out on the field.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Bob was one of the best run stuffing safeties the league has seen.  moore is a decent corner that appears to be getting better...  pff barely has him in the top 40, i dont swear by those ratings but i think he has been a tad over rated around here the past few days 

You think the fans have Moore overrated?    That’s an interesting perspective.

Ballard just paid the man as one of the top slot corners in football.   So apparently the team’s management thinks he’s much better than you do. 

Just food for thought.....

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

As for that PFF rating,  remember that’s ALL corners.    If you go thru that list my guess is you’ll find that Moore is ranked roughly in the top 4-8 of slot corners, nickel corners.   And that’s how he’s being paid.   Don’t compare him to outside corners.   Different position.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wasn’t saying Moore is asgood by any stretch. Go watch KM highlights. He seems to be around the ball a lot lot like Sanders was. They both seem to be in the right place at the right time for INT. Moore had some really good tackles. Not as hard which is good because his body won’t break down as easy but he gets it done.

Well, Sanders played mostly close to the box, and was covering the middle area of the field a lot in Dungy's system, and Moore plays in the slot, and he is also covering the middle area of the field as well. So, I kinda see why you saw some similarities. However, they are very different types of players, they play at different positions, so there is hardly any similarity if you break down what they do actually. It might seem a bit similar, but it's very different.

And, as others said, Bob was a generational talent. He played on an entirely different level. Remember when teams use to ran 200 / 300 yards against the Colts D in 2006? The entire regular season? Then Bob came back for the playoffs and the Colts D suddenly turned into the big wall of china. That was Sanders, alone. He was a game changer when healthy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Bob, Ed Reed and Troy P were ridiculous and hasn't been close for any other since they left.

That was like the Golden Age for safety play.

The physical play of Bob Sanders, the ball-hawking of Ed Reed, the instincts of Troy Polamalu... and each won a Super Bowl ring.

That was some good football.  Man I miss those days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It was kind of fun to go back and watch bob sanders highlights.

and very hard to watch the D for all those games without him....

truly epic player with truly epic injury issues...

i know all teams go through injuries, but seems like we've been especially cursed with Sanders, Manning, and Luck. That's 3 of my five favorite Colts lol.

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

and very hard to watch the D for all those games without him....

truly epic player with truly epic injury issues...

i know all teams go through injuries, but seems like we've been especially cursed with Sanders, Manning, and Luck. That's 3 of my five favorite Colts lol.

Andrew has had 3 maybe 4 injuries since the beginning of his career, manning only missed one season here. So no worries the bad luck was all Bob's. 

23 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Sanders was a HOF talent. The guy was a beast. I dont consider Moore a beast. Not that he isn't valuable to the team. Sanders jumped off the tape. Good in run and in coverage. Didnt matter where he was, it was by the ball. Wish he could have stayed healthy because he would be in the HOF. 

Yeah, I think if he could have managed even 5 injury free seasons playing like he did he would have been a HOFer.  He was a paper Monster.  

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I get where you are coming from, and was really excited with what Eb was getting from him by seasons end.
 The ability to defend the middle of the field may be the #1 thing a D can do in todays NFL. Kenny hasn't earned Elite status YET, but he is looking very good.
 His aggression, tackling ability around the LOS was top notch.
We will see if his pass rush is as effective as it was at seasons end.
 He was showing a high level of quick thinking read and reaction.

When you put all of that together, he was a serious difference maker.
 With a little more quick pressure from out pass rush forcing the ball out quicker, and better LB coverage, Kenny should only increase his passes defended and INT #'s.
 Comparison or no, i believe our managment see's a Stud.

You rightly noted two key areas.... Kenny's read and react abilities.... and in that sense, there actually ARE two very important similarities between him and Sanders, even though they play different positions.

It's so easy to get caught up in height/40 yd speed measureables with these DBs.... but I'll take Moore's ability to diagnose and disrupt a play quickly, and that 78" pterodactyl wingspan of his any day. 

Sure enough, Chris Ballard very astutely scarfed up Moore following his release from NE.... which probably didn't register with much impact here on the Forum at the time.... but has nicely filled a key spot on the defense.

And as entertaining as they were.... I'd prefer we not see the railroad collisions that Sanders displayed and shortened his career with.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep. Up until that neck injury I don’t think manning missed a snap his entire career here.

He missed one early in his career.  I only remember because I was there.  A dolphin hit him under his chin and broke his jaw.  Mark Riypen came in for one snap fumbled the handoff to the back and manning was back in there the next series.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Andrew has had 3 maybe 4 injuries since the beginning of his career, manning only missed one season here. So no worries the bad luck was all Bob's. 

when your franchise QBs miss a whole season, it's bad luck....

On 6/15/2019 at 9:58 AM, NewEra said:

I'm sorry but they don't compare at all. When healthy and playing Bob was the best of not one of the best safeties in the game. Not only could he stop the bus in his tracks but he was lighting fast and was a serious threat roaming the field. He had unbelievable talent but just couldn't stay on the field. His play is what safeties should dream of. 

I have to disagree with the last sentence. I think Sean Taylor (The former Hurricane & Redskin safety) was and would have statistically been better than all 3 had he not been murdered.  That dude was what you’d get if you created a cyborg safety. Big. Fast. Physical. And immaculate receiver level ball skills...  I still love the other 3, especially the Colonel, but Taylor was on another level.  A combination of all 3.

• Like 1