Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
chad72

Nice article about ex-player Trent Dilfer

My dad was a natural born coach as well.  People like this touch a lot of lives for the better, and not only through sports.  It's been 4 years since he passed and I still see people randomly posting about dad and the difference he made in their lives.

I'm glad Trent listened to the people around him who told him to embrace his gift.

It sounds like he will make a difference for a lot of people.

Thanks for sharing this

• Like 4

As someone who has coached a lot, the last 6 years was a team that I stayed with from 3rd grade thru 8th grade.  And teaching football is really secondary, especially at the 3rd/4th grade level.  In the area I coached half the kids had no significant male figure in their life.  So, in additional to teaching how to block, how to tackle, how to hold the ball, you also have to teach, how to push themselves beyond where they think they can go, how to plan and execute, how to prepare and how to be responsible, how to be a good sport, how to be grow into a man.  Over the years I had to help a child who was being abused, help a kid get settled after his mom got arrested and sent to prison for a couple of years, helped a kid with dyslexia learn to read better, helped a family who's kid (the player) having a crisis of faith, steered a kid away from drugs... and yeah, I taught them a little bit of football as well.

If Dilfer really felt a calling to this, then great for him, coaching kids has to extend beyond the football field.

• Like 4